Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for all the responses...got a lot of good feedback.
I suppose all things considered it was no big deal...it just seemed a little reckless at the time.

No drama.

I am aware that statistically planes are safer than cars and all.....but at least in a car, its ends quickly....crash...dead...done. In a plane you may need to deal with a few minutes of freefall before impact....not something I want to deal with!

Anyway...thanks again for the input.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My ex-boss (a private pilot) told me he had been inverted in a DC-10 twice in the same flight, 300 feet AGL.  The were following a 747 into Denver and got flipped 95 degrees by one vortex, then 105 degrees the other way from the other vortex.  They got wings level seconds before touchdown.  He kissed his wife goodby when the stick shaker kicked on.

Did you say inverted?  As in.....inverted?  300 feet AGL?  In a DC-10?  With 150+ feet wingspan?

That's what he said.  He's not really prone to drama and pretty even keeled about things.  I did ask him a year or two later to tell the story again to make sure I had the facts.

By "inverted", he meant that the plane rolled more than 90 degrees both times -- one wing over the other, but not all the way upside down.  He said afterward, he caught a glimpse of the Captain & FO just silently staring at each other in disbelief.  That would've been my last flight ever.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've clocked 100k miles this year. I fucking hate my job.

Doc

But it pays for some nice toys.  

Heh. It has indeed, but hopefully soon I'll be getting me the job that will _give_ me the same toys. Now the 2/3 pay cut is gonna hurt ... but ...

I used to be OK with turbulence until a Southwest flight from Dallas to San Antonio that gave me a bruise on my shoulder from being pounded into the side of the plane repeatedly.  I thought that would be the big one.  The girls across the aisle screaming their heads off were merely an annoyance.  What initially gave me concern was when the first big bump hit and the flight attendant dropped his tray and hugged a seat.  I'm fine when things are smooth, but now the bumpies cause my knuckles to whiten.

Damn. That's tough. I do hate the screamers, though. The only time you're allowed to scream is if your stomach exits your brainstem or if you are bleeding heavily.

Until that actually happens, I will just have to conjure more witty things to say to people who don't fly very often.

Doc
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top