Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you were out of the blast zone, you could have food stored to last a few years and survive it.

If this ever happens, you will need ALTO more than a few years of food stocked up.    This would last for decades!

Edited to add:  The sun would be blocked for decades,  you couldn't store enough food for that.  And that is assuming you and your stockpile survive the mass panic/riots/etc

Again, I respectfully disagree.

The last one (75000 years ago) didn't kill everyone off and they did not have the storage capability that we do.

Also, the narrator of this program said it would screw up the growing season for a few years, not decades.

Grain, is cheap.  And canning it is easy.  

It could be survived. It was last time, by primitives.

It will be survived again, by someone.  

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

You also have to remember that these "primitive humans" were already used to fending for themselves.

People today are lazy, like the AVROM guy that had a lady offer him $5 to clean her win shield.  If the mall isn't open I don't know how most would survive. Most people can't make it in modern times because they don't want to do anything for themselves, I couldn't imagine them lasting a week.  

I under stand your argument about food storage, but seriously who has that kind of food/water supply. Sure most people here have some More's, 55 gal Drums of water and some medical supplies, but how long would that last.   Incomers certainly have a better chance than most, but I don't think that would last.  

Most people would simply die with no power, A/C or Heat, let alone trying to find food.   They said the last super volcano to erupt caused a 5 degree temp drop on average, and I believe he said that was enough to turn summer into winter in most areas.  

I truly believe if this happened it would last for at least 10 years, but leasts say it was only 5... I think the outcome would be the same.

Most of humanity would perish.

But Africa is about as far away from Yellowstone as you could get and there are many humans there that live a rather primitive existence yet. They wouldn't be as effected as North Americans and  Europeans.

Kinda' comforting to know that after all these millennia, mankind will migrate out of Africa once again, isn't it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you were out of the blast zone, you could have food stored to last a few years and survive it.

If this ever happens, you will need ALTO more than a few years of food stocked up.    This would last for decades!

Edited to add:  The sun would be blocked for decades,  you couldn't store enough food for that.  And that is assuming you and your stockpile survive the mass panic/riots/etc

Again, I respectfully disagree.

The last one (75000 years ago) didn't kill everyone off and they did not have the storage capability that we do.

Also, the narrator of this program said it would screw up the growing season for a few years, not decades.

Grain, is cheap.  And canning it is easy.  

It could be survived. It was last time, by primitives.

It will be survived again, by someone.  

Zen

You also have to remember that these "primitive humans" were already used to fending for themselves.

People today are lazy, like the AVROM guy that had a lady offer him $5 to clean her win shield.  If the mall isn't open I don't know how most would survive. Most people can't make it in modern times because they don't want to do anything for themselves, I couldn't imagine them lasting a week.  

I under stand your argument about food storage, but seriously who has that kind of food/water supply. Sure most people here have some More's, 55 gal Drums of water and some medical supplies, but how long would that last.   Incomers certainly have a better chance than most, but I don't think that would last.  

Most people would simply die with no power, A/C or Heat, let alone trying to find food.   They said the last super volcano to erupt caused a 5 degree temp drop on average, and I believe he said that was enough to turn summer into winter in most areas.  

I truly believe if this happened it would last for at least 10 years, but leasts say it was only 5... I think the outcome would be the same.

Most of humanity would perish.

But Africa is about as far away from Yellowstone as you could get and there are many humans there that live a rather primitive existence yet. They wouldn't be as effected as North Americans and  Europeans.

Kinda' comforting to know that after all these millennia, mankind will migrate out of Africa once again, isn't it.

I don't think so.  

This will be a world wide crop failure and Africa has little enouph food as it is.

I think places like Africa will be desimated and probably a wasteland. (I mean, they starve most of the time there now, how will it be when the boats of food stop arriving and they can't grow any of their own food?)

A worldwide cold spell like the one they describe will kill crops everywhere.  Not just in the USA. (though that would be bad enouph since we feed the world)

The only people to survive will be those out of the immediat blast zone who have lots of food etc, and the weopons and will to defend it.  

Even most "survivalists" will probably die.

In any case, if it happened tomorrow, I will be a dead man. Food won't keep minivan sized rocks from crushing my head.

Kind of funny ain't it?  

Zen
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Crap... I just realized that my 3 day supply of water isn't enough to wait out an iceage.

Wait.. ice.. water...

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I would bet, but there wouldn't be anyone around to collect , that pockets of people would survive without stashing.

A couple of reasons Africa is starving is because of despotic dictators keeping the people down. Another is overpopulation.

Such a catastrophic event would take care of the dictators and most of the population. Some of the few survivors would find enough to continue surviving.

But I agree with your assessment on stashing. Those who stash a lot of long term staples should be fine. If they are far enough away.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
time to go set the DVR...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would bet, but there wouldn't be anyone around to collect , that pockets of people would survive without stashing.

A couple of reasons Africa is starving is because of despotic dictators keeping the people down. Another is overpopulation.

Such a catastrophic event would take care of the dictators and most of the population. Some of the few survivors would find enough to continue surviving.

But I agree with your assessment on stashing. Those who stash a lot of long term staples should be fine. If they are far enough away.

Ya know it just occured to me......

That some africans will survive.... due to canibalism.  

They will eat each other to survive.

Though long term food storage could be a problem.

How do you CAN an afriCAN?

Zen
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya know it just occured to me......

That some africans will survive.... due to canibalism.  

They will eat each other to survive.

Though long term food storage could be a problem.

How do you CAN an afriCAN?

That's kind of my plan.  I have TONS of food "stashed" - it's called neighbors

I'm not to worried about storage either, because the cold will no doubt preserve them.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Well for me, ..... I prefer "pinto beans" to "human beings" when it comes to dinning.  

So I'll stick to my canned goods thank you.

Zen

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Tonights show sponsered  in WHOLE by Ameican Family Property Insurance- now with triple rates for people living in "nationwide volcaono zones"
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tonights show sponsered  in WHOLE by Ameican Family Property Insurance- now with triple rates for people living in "nationwide volcaono zones"

Insurance companies won't insure for "acts of god".

Zen
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well for me, ..... I prefer "pinto beans" to "human beings" when it comes to dinning.  

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely eat the canned food and cereals and everything else I've got stashed FIRST, and hope that I wouldn't need to eat them - but when the chips are down, and it's every man for himself, then I think that my gun collection will ensure that I am the dinee, and not the dinner.    If the alternative is starving to death, I'd eat my neighbors in a hearbeat.  I'd save the cute college sophmore for last, though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Note to self.  Postpone next years Yellowstone Trip.  Go to San Francisco to see wildlife instead.

"Hey Peter! Watch out for your cornhole bud!"
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely eat the canned food and cereals and everything else I've got stashed FIRST, and hope that I wouldn't need to eat them - but when the chips are down, and it's every man for himself, then I think that my gun collection will ensure that I am the dinee, and not the dinner.    If the alternative is starving to death, I'd eat my neighbors in a hearbeat.  I'd save the cute college sophmore for last, though.

I've joked about this as well from time to time.

And said: "to feed my family I'd hunt, and cook YOU!"  

But I don't know if I really could or would.

If I can't live ethicly, I don't know if I will live at all.

I don't think I would hunt humans to feed my family.

But, ...... if they were just lying around "pre-killed" and all, that might be different matter alltogether!  

Zen

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#14]

"You don't frighten us, volcano pig-dog! I blow my nose on you, so-called super-volcano!"
"I fart in your general direction! Now go away before I taunt you a second time."
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]

All in all, it was kind of a scary show really.

The science about the population bottleneck was interesting though.  

I'm not one of those survivalists who think the sky is falling and that the apocolypse is just around the corner. I don't.

But I do prepare to be as independent of the system as I can be. (within my monitary limits)

But I will be keeping an eye on this Caldera.  If it starts to act oddly, I may just have to "book" out of here.

I wonder if Nevada would be far enouph away to avoid blast, rocks etc?  

Zen

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually, Africa and the desert environments might benefit from a temperature shift.  5 degree depression in average temperature might drop some rain on them, enough to actually make some crops grow.  Depends upon how bad the ash blanket is in the atmosphere.  The planet isn't going to turn into an iceberg or anything.  Those of us living in northern climes will probably be fairly well done for, but southern tropical climates will become temperate and so on.  Trying to ensure that you personally would survive would involve ensuring that you are out of the blast zone first, getting to a warmer climate second and making sure you have sufficient supplies of food, medical stuff and a reliable water source and the means to purify it close at hand.  

Also, be aware that fuel would be an issue.  The normal fuel sources would go offline pretty quick, leaving us to what we could gather on our own.  If you want to rely on wood, you better pray that most of humanity dies off fast around you because there is going to be A LOT of competition for that wood and logging it all off would be a mistake.

It would be a major challenge and most folks would probably fail simply because the cards were stacked WAAAY against them.  But someone would survive and while dealt a serious set-back, life would go on.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top