Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2001 12:52:08 PM EDT
How many Toyota Techs? How long, status, lets talk shop.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Been wrenchin for 15 years with toyota. Master diagnostic technician, but just about had it with toyota and being a tech. all together !!!
I'm tired of the DAMN WARRANTY and here do more and we'll pay ya less !! Drive price goes up, tech pay goes down, you do the math(more dealer profit)WE had 8 master techs and 3 pro's for years, and now down to two. and were thinking about leaving for something else.
Good tech's are very scarce in the southwest and sooner or later these dealership bastards are going to be S.O.L. !!! I love what I do and I'm damn good at it but I have more training and school than most college grads!! and nothing to show for it....
well enough bitchin
51 out....
[x]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Giving free advise?  I've got a 99 tacoma trd v6 5 speed.  When I'm up in the mountains coming down a long steep grade and having the motor hold back the truck, it'll slowly speed up to about 3200RPM and then it acts like the fuel shuts off and the truck suddenly slows to around 1800RPM for a while.  Then it suddenly "releases" and the truck slowly starts to speed up.  I can't find a long and steep enough hill to get it to do it in town, so local dealer won't fix what they can't see.  Any reference or ideas?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently Master, first for our dealership to go to Prius, class (instructor motto-"Oh F**K").
I was in the first 8, first class for region. You are right, Warranty sucks, our service manager has run ads in paper for techs, "Tired of too much warranty and poor compensation", KISS MY ASS!! You and EXTRA-CARE. The only customer pay is is an oil change.
Been Toyota 15yr,  3 master at our place, me with 15, another w/8?, and the 3rd w/6 yr. What about the STUPID Foundations test? "As part of the first level, hell, first level for me was 14yr ago, I'm 3rd level, don't bother me with your stupid sales tests for technicians. I may e-mail you to ask about some of your shop charges to compare what we gat paid to do.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, I was first for prius too!!! woo hoo, at least we got those neat rubber gloves and a refrigerator magnet !! I think service managers all went to the same f$#ked up school, we just got this moron a year ago and his ads sound like yours - tired of warranty,low pay yadda yadda..B.S.
Damn,don't get me started on extra care, road warrior and all the other tech screwing schemes they got now!!!
1.5 hrs to r&r a evap assy on anew camry F#CK YOU!!4.5 to r&r a transaxle, sienna sludge motors AAAHHHHHH, just fuming here
feel free to email, I could go on and on but its kinda nice to know its not just me...
[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
LeonardC check your mail...
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]

I am not a Toyota tech (just a gearhead who does all his own auto repair), but I was curious about this topic.  I can't believe you guys are not getting better compensation.

I read in the Wall Street Journal that there would be a massive shortage (200,000) of mechanics (techs) in the next few years.  The impression I got from the article was that auto mech was a good field to go into.   Dealers were allegedly getting hard up for techs and were recruiting at mechanic schools around the country.

If telling your employers that you want a raise isn't possible, I wonder why you guys don't unionize?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, some of us appreciate what y'all do.  I dang sure can't fix my Toyo myself.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Well since we have a concentration of Toyota Techs. in one thread, I have to take the opportunity to ask a question.

What do you guys think about the TRD Supercharger?
Specifically I am looking at getting a Tacoma V6 next spring and I'm thinking about adding the Super.

Thanks (sorry for the OT ?)
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thunderstick, I'ts true about the shortage, they can't find anyone other than entry level kids and lube techs. This translates into poor repairs, comebacks and pissed off customers!!
I have been hoping this would translate into better pay and most of all maybe a little RESPECT,we are still treated as (those grease monkeys in the back) by the suits at the dealerships. they generally pay a high hourly wage but warranty pays half or less than customer pay and they are even cutting into the services as well.
I wish there was a union but as far as I know none exist.
JANUS,the supercharger is a great add on, fits under the hood, keeps your warranty valid and looks cool to boot!!!
You can tell a big difference on the trucks(especially the 5 speeds) the 4 runners are heavier so not as noticable. but it really gives great top end performance. have had no problems with the unit or the engines they go on - we put alot on for rich college kids who run the piss out of them and and they seem to hold up well. only drawback is price,most are financed in the deal.
Well enough babble
51 out
[):)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I put the first one on at our dealer, in a 4 Runner, good throttle response, will require premium, we put one in a Tacoma P/U, feel sorry for the guy, never keep the tires on the ground in the wet and snow, no weight, he had the free flow exhaust also.
We currently have 1 kid doing the tech school and working 2-3days, another kid just graduated
JVS? We still have room for 1 more tech, slow work time lately, I spent 3-4 hr cruising on TIS. We have 2 in the shop w/ 5 outlets.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It's been slow here too, only used cars keeping things going. I love the tis machines, took all my tsb's home!! and while it's slow, I spend time here on AR15.com. HE HE.  sometimes I get dirty looks from asm's or the mngmnt for using it for non work uses, but I just tell them I'll get off of it when they go shag some cars so I have something to do!!!  (they slink away quietly)
We had 2 kids go to t-ten in Phoenix, sponsored them for 2 years, neither work for us or automotive at all.. If you can get in, local manufacturing pays 15 to 25 per hr.with full benifits
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
While we're drifting away from guns...what are your thoughts about synthetic oils?  I've got just over 20k miles on my truck and took in some Mobil 1 for my last oil change.  The service lady advised against it, but they put it in for me.  I ran Mobil 1 in my previous pu and I think it helped me put miles and miles on that motor, a 79 Ford F350 that ran pretty hot all the time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I like synthetic oils, but the sooner you start the better. I have used it in new and older engines with good results. Here in AZ it's pretty hard on engines so anything that helps is welcome.
I normally use regular oil (valvoline) in my vehicles. my theory is if you just change your oil regularly, you won't need synthetics. I have 2 vehicles right now both over 200,000 miles. (both toyotas) and many regular customers who just keep their oil changed and keep up with preventative maintenance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought my wife her V6 Camry new in 95, I only took it to the dealership for the first service, to have the trannie fluid and the radiator fluid changed at two years. Oil changes using genuine Toyota oil filters and cleaning the K&N airfilter every 6 months.
In 99 we took her car to Toyota in San Diego, even though it was one year out of warrenty the mechanic hooked us up and fixed some small stuff, seat belt, seat mount, door seal for nothing.
After we moved to Oklahoma we took her car to the dealership in Norman, Oklahoma. What a bunch of fucks!
They broke the overflow tank for the radiator, when they dropped the trannie pan and did what you guys do to drain the rear of the trannie thwe screwed up the gaskets and seals so bad it wasen't funny.
I temp fixed the tank, and had to drive the car to Washington leaking trannie fluid, no choice as I was under Military orders.
We took it to Foothills Toyota in Burlington, they hooked us up. They fixed the leaky trannie, and the parts guy sold us the overflow tank at cost.
I had also asked to have the brakes done, they refused to do them as they still had plenty of usable life.
I guess what I am trying to say is that for the most part Toyota mechs have their shit together.
So can anyone tell me why the 95 Camrys eat up the front tires so fast?

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought my wife her V6 Camry new in 95, I only took it to the dealership for the first service, to have the trannie fluid and the radiator fluid changed at two years. Oil changes using genuine Toyota oil filters and cleaning the K&N airfilter every 6 months.
In 99 we took her car to Toyota in San Diego, even though it was one year out of warrenty the mechanic hooked us up and fixed some small stuff, seat belt, seat mount, door seal for nothing.
After we moved to Oklahoma we took her car to the dealership in Norman, Oklahoma. What a bunch of fucks!
They broke the overflow tank for the radiator, when they dropped the trannie pan and did what you guys do to drain the rear of the trannie thwe screwed up the gaskets and seals so bad it wasen't funny.
I temp fixed the tank, and had to drive the car to Washington leaking trannie fluid, no choice as I was under Military orders.
We took it to Foothills Toyota in Burlington, they hooked us up. They fixed the leaky trannie, and the parts guy sold us the overflow tank at cost.
I had also asked to have the brakes done, they refused to do them as they still had plenty of usable life.
I guess what I am trying to say is that for the most part Toyota mechs have their shit together.
So can anyone tell me why the 95 Camrys eat up the front tires so fast?

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey,  and I thought my Camry was the only one with front tire wear problems.  Then I talked to my neighbor and he has the same problem.  And now you too !

My neighbor said that he's had his alignment done like 3 times since he got it and it's only 1.5 years old.

Is there anyway to stop the wear from happening?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Well sort of....I have only owned 4 cars in my life  42 Series Lancrusier, 60 Series Landcrusier, 62 Series Landcrusier and a 80 series Landcrusier...does this qualify me...??  

Andy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top