Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
did anyone hit the exit link?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

This sort of stuff is on any good firewall, just because that IP is indeed .gov doesn't mean I will penetrate the system. Why?

This isn't something wise to do in this day and age.

But I can.

Railgun....

Most definitely, poking around that IP is not a wise thing to do.

FWIW, it resembles nothing in my IP "chain".
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah ok

And the yanknees didn't cause an interference tonight!

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got done with number 4. These things are pretty darn tricky...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually, XP supports 127.0.0.2 as well. Most everyone has a loopback, it's how you can talk to yourself, eg. how applications can open sockets with themselves or other apps on the same local system. It should have been obvious that wasn't the IP I was looking for in my little challenge.
Someone already figured out the IP of my proxy, so he gets a cigar. The IP of my modem remains undiscovered though.

im a Linux Systems Admin (much to my dismay). But the windows loopback change only adds another loopback address of 127.0.0.2. You still have the original one, its easier to have multiple loopbacks than it is to replace the original. Plus to actually replace teh value would require changeing an Eprom on your NIC, unless you could flash it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I can run my linux box without a loopback network device and the internet connectivity still functions appropriately.

edit: if the routing tables are set up correctly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can run my linux box without a loopback network device and the internet connectivity still functions appropriately.

edit: if the routing tables are set up correctly.

Well thats becasue IPtables (or ipchains which ever one you are using) then becomes your loopback device.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wasted a while at work getting through the remainder of the levels in the game.

My fake-hacking skillz are l337. w00t.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]

im a Linux Systems Admin (much to my dismay). But the windows loopback change only adds another loopback address of 127.0.0.2. You still have the original one, its easier to have multiple loopbacks than it is to replace the original. Plus to actually replace teh value would require changeing an Eprom on your NIC, unless you could flash it.

Much to your dismay? Why? I'd love to manage Linux boxen all day. I maintain all of ours, but it's not all I do all day. It would be kind of fun if it was. Most of my time is spent on customer 2000/2003 servers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Much to your dismay? Why? I'd love to manage Linux boxen all day. I maintain all of ours, but it's not all I do all day. It would be kind of fun if it was. Most of my time is spent on customer 2000/2003 servers.

Yeha, its better than admining windows boxes. But you have to be careful becasue you can engineer yourself out of a job very quickly. I did that once, i made the machines TOO dependable, and tehy decided i was no longer needed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Uhh, congratulations? Actually, I'm.... 2 IPs below that, due to a NAT router and Remote Desktop connection, but eh. Neat little toy tho :)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Wow, their browser identifier is b0rken.

Netscape 5?  Please.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Umm, no. Reverse DNS tunnel1.cotse.net is 66.90.118.12, servers are owned by "FDCservers.net LLC" in Chicago, though who knows where they are physically located.

I am tunneled to that proxy via my real ISP, who happens to be comcast, so my IP is 67.x.x.x.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope this works....

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess what I don't understand is how you are pulling a specific IP# off this page? I'm not asking for specific information on how to do this, just a general idea of how it is done. It would seem GoatBoy would have this covered. My tech-fu is also lacking.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I guess what I don't understand is how you are pulling a specific IP# off this page? I'm not asking for specific information on how to do this, just a general idea of how it is done. It would seem GoatBoy would have this covered. My tech-fu is also lacking.

Apparently the jpg image you see has "Your IP address and other information are only visible to YOU, not to others, but because people see their own IP address and computer information displayed in the graphic, they think that their information can be seen by everyone!"

A neat little trick from the folks at DanaSoft. I see my proxy IP in that graphic, you should see yours. I have no idea how it's done though, not being a hacker and all that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
"1 This website is optimized for Internet Explorer."

so, i shouldn't be reading this in lynx?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently the jpg image you see has "Your IP address and other information are only visible to YOU, not to others, but because people see their own IP address and computer information displayed in the graphic, they think that their information can be seen by everyone!"

A neat little trick from the folks at DanaSoft. I see my proxy IP in that graphic, you should see yours. I have no idea how it's done though, not being a hacker and all that.

I wasn't refering to that stupid JPG that has been around for years, but to how hackers can trace a specific IP back to the user without having the "special" buttons that GoatBoy and Staff have to view the IP#, then run a reverse check.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't know if could be done. Perhaps someone could sniff traffic to the arfcom domain? One person discovered my proxy IP and that was due to me replying to his IM.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#21]
This URL returns your IP and host name: http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

It's not really a .jpg image, it's a program that returns an image. The web server knows you IP because you
connected to it. Really very simple.

Perhaps this is die-hard?

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
     Wainner, Scott  (SW2249)          [email protected]
     All Enthusiast, Inc.
     PO BOX 10157
     American Canyon, CA 94503
     US
     707-642-7000 fax: 443-264-2555

David
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top