Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I served from 6/64 until 7/92.  I vividly remember the incredible golf foxtrot we had with trying to fit all the enlisted guys into CPO uniforms in the early '70s and put us in the stupidest "dungarees" I've ever seen.  During the decision making process, nobody took the time to take the uniform to sea to see if there was enough room in the ships to adequately store the dress uniforms, nor if the ship's laundries were adequate to handle the Certified Navy Twill or CNT, man-made fabric.

This is no surprise.  The Navy's uniform board is the biggest bunch of morons, nitwits and landlubbers I've ever seen!  They NEVER seem to use a damn iota of common sense when deciding what uniforms the sailors will wear.  I thought the Kriegsmarine "blacks" were dumb...THESE are unbelievable!

Absolutely amazing...NAVPAT aboard ship?  WTF?  Why not just a simple, comfortable, fire-retardent, multipocketed, BLUE coverall and the usual blue ballcap?  Once again, the fools have proven that stupidity is a disease that never goes away!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Okey doke...some folks need to go back and read my post...where I clearly stated:

THE EMBLEM ON THE LEFT POCKET OF THE WHITE SAILOR.

I fail to see anything remotely resembling either an Eagle, or a LARGE MASTED SAILING SHIP on the Sub Warfare Badge.

I was not refering to the Sub Warfare Badge, nor would I demean it in such a manner.

DPort was kind enough to suggest that a smilar emblem was found on the female enlisted cover.  Since I haven't ever been with in shooting distance of female naval enlisted personel, I'll have to take his word.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like it.....where can I re-up

That truly looks like shit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Erm...what gives with the gay eagle/square-rigger emblem?  What's wrong with the old navy emblem?  The new one looks like a logo for a cruise line.  A GAY cruise line.

Actually, it's a representation of the actual Navy emblem:

www.eglin.af.mil/jdam/info/brochure/navy_logo.jpg

Old one FAR FAR superior to the new one.  What happended to tradition?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
They just changed uniforms less than 10 years ago, when they got rid of dungarees.  Why the hell do they have to change them again???
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Okey doke...some folks need to go back and read my post...where I clearly stated:

I fail to see anything remotely resembling either an Eagle, or a LARGE MASTED SAILING SHIP on the Sub Warfare Badge.

I was not refering to the Sub Warfare Badge, nor would I demean it in such a manner.

DPort was kind enough to suggest that a smilar emblem was found on the female enlisted cover.  Since I haven't ever been with in shooting distance of female naval enlisted personel, I'll have to take his word.

Army and Navy can't talk together!

This is the official Navy Logo:

It is the logo which is reproduced on the uniform, if poorly.

The insignia worn by female enlisted on their covers is a simple eagle over a "USN".

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Erm...what gives with the gay eagle/square-rigger emblem?  What's wrong with the old navy emblem?  The new one looks like a logo for a cruise line.  A GAY cruise line.

Actually, it's a representation of the actual Navy emblem:

Old one FAR FAR superior to the new one.  What happended to tradition?

That's been the logo at least since 1986. Which one are you talking about?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

her!

This is the official Navy Logo:

It is the logo which is reproduced on the uniform, if poorly.

The insignia worn by female enlisted on their covers is a simple eagle over a "USN".

...BRZT...garble...static.....hiss....SAY AGAIN!

Lol....anyhow, color me old fashioned.  I like the traditional Navy Emblem.  Changing that would be like changing the Eagle, Globe and Anchor...or redesigning the Stars and Stipes.  Just somehow not right IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
They were jelous of the Corps! I can't spell today.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They were jelous of the Corps! I can't spell today.

I also ment to say that the old uniform had uses if you went into the water. Mostly flotation which wold make sense, I wonder how this new stuff can be better. You figure if they wanted to "Blend" they would be in gray. Still pretty stupid either way. I guess they thought "Well we've got the money so lets do this." Oh well, if it helps them fight better and be more efficiant, I'm all for it. We'll see.Take care
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
As someone who has worn both the old style dungs and utilities, I welcome these duds.

The utilities we wear now, well, I hate them. More like detest them. They need to go away most soonest.

While I might want a solid grey color, anything is better than what we've got now.

Oh, and I like the working blues. I just wish the Navy would make them with bigger necks. My 20" neck doesn't fit into a 19" neck shirt...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sorry man, wrong emblem. Anyway, the eagle on the female enlisted cover is very Nazi-like IMO.

ETA: BDUs can be used as floatation devices too. A Marine went overboard from a carrier somewhere in 5th fleet and was picked up by some Egyptians. He stayed afloat with his BDU pants.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Camo on a ship???

What do they want you to . hide from the Cheif ??????
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
and here my wife misses the old uniforms
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Having worn both BDUs, dungarees and coveralls....

Exactly which one of those uniforms takes the least amount of time to make a presentable looking uniform?

Answer:  Coveralls.

The most? - BDUs.

A typical Sailor's shipboard schedule isn't full of opportunity to spend time on folly.  Take those BDUs and shove them in the bottom of a laundry bag for three days.  Now, pull them out and give a Sailor ten minutes to make them presentable.   What do you think you're going to end up with?

Whoever initiated, developed and approved this idea should be slapped.......a lot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#16]
First off if you remember the good old days when the BDUs first arrived the pitch was that they were a "work" uniform and they weren't  to be starched, as an inspection uniform.  There were the other "office" work uniforms that were to be kept insopection quality.  that lasted how long?

Actually in most conditions, the only uniform you can see in the drink is khaki, any of the blues, greys, black/navy blues pretty much blend in in a lot of weather and sea conditions.

Don't forget the double knit polyester we got just before CNT.. The "It won't snag" double-knits?  The only good thing about them was they didn't snag a little less than the "They won't pill."  CNTs pilled.  I got some real nice cotton-poly khakis, a big bunch actually, and then they were relegated to work only when the double knits came in. they actually worked well shipboard.

The pullover "dungarees"  and the Cost and Tie uniforms.  The uniform board apparently only went to the overweight YN1s and PN1s in the  DC area for comment, not out in the fleet.  The only uniform in that series of abominations was the "salt and peppers"  Trying to keep TWL looking nice on Quarterdeck Watches or similar duties was a pain, with the dark pants at least you could sit down if you got the chance or didn't worry near as much about getting stuff on them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
According to the accompanying article in the Navy Times, the reason for the cammo pattern is to hide stains on the uniform.

I shit you not.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is the US military insisting on changing all of its uniforms to more closely resemble some kind of Third World palace guard?  Everybody gets berets!  Let's put the Air Force in blue tiger stripes!  I swear to God, I think we've got the uniform advisor from the Congolese Special Forces in an officer exchange slot somewhere in the Pentagon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
HEy give me a break back in the early 80's  I wore OD BDU's and Woodland Camo with a Red Jersey on the flight deck.

I never got to wear the coveralls, but anything was better than dungarees with the big assed bell bottoms, they were a bitch to blouse
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why is the US military insisting on changing all of its uniforms to more closely resemble some kind of Third World palace guard?  Everybody gets berets!  Let's put the Air Force in blue tiger stripes!  I swear to God, I think we've got the uniform advisor from the Congolese Special Forces in an officer exchange slot somewhere in the Pentagon.

No Shit.

I've been thinking someone has definately been watching to many bad B budget sci-fi movies.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry man, wrong emblem. Anyway, the eagle on the female enlisted cover is very Nazi-like IMO.

ETA: BDUs can be used as floatation devices too. A Marine went overboard from a carrier somewhere in 5th fleet and was picked up by some Egyptians. He stayed afloat with his BDU pants.

Very true… your pants do make an excellent flotation device… from personal experience…

however I would hate to see any man in the water trying to manage to undo those high boots… 11 hole boots with cold hands and laces that have gone tight after they got wet… it does not bear thinking about.

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true… your pants do make an excellent flotation device… from personal experience…

however I would hate to see any man in the water trying to manage to undo those high boots… 11 hole boots with cold hands and laces that have gone tight after they got wet… it does not bear thinking about.

ANdy

You take the pants off over the boots. You don't want to lose your boots in a water survival situation. You never know when you'll need them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Just as long as its not polyester.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

ANdy

Then issue boots with zippers, velcro, straps, or any other closure method.

You do NOT want to ditch your boots when lost at sea. You might need them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

On the subject of uniforms… Royal Navy working rigs

Standard working rig

Why can't we just copy the RN again?

Jesus, THEY have it figured out.  EVERYONE, ratings and officers, wear the same working uniform.  Everyone wears soft shoulder boards.  Enlisted men would get their chevrons/eagle embroidered on, officers simply use the ones with stripes they already have.

I'm so glad I'll never have to wear such a gay uniform
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#27]
do yall have any idea how shitty our utilities are? this would be a major step up.

our other working uniforms are way too high maintenance. I think its a step in the right direction

If they get rid of coveralls im runnin to mexico though

The working uniform design is not intended to camouflage Sailors against the background of a ship. Instead, the multiple colors on the uniform - navy blue, deck gray, haze gray and black - are common in the maritime working environment, making them a more practical choice.

“What we have heard from Sailors aboard ship is if they get a small spot of paint or grease on a pair of solid-color utilities or coveralls, it’s easily visible and detracts from the uniform’s appearance,” Scott said. “With the Navy Working Uniform’s multicolor pattern, a small spot or stain may be almost entirely unnoticeable.”

Oh, look at those silly navy pussies trying to be practical and shit.

Zaphod....wtf dude. You know as well as I do mommy and daddy wont even let us wear coveralls OFF FUCKING SITE. Its ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

It seem our survival driil differs from yours… I was told (both RN and Merchant Navy)… ditch the boots they only drag you down… I was always advised by old salts to leave the laces out or only one through one set of eyelets and tied loose. Your going swimming not walking. When I had my 'excursion' into the North Sea It was damn hard staying up till I got the boots off, it was like trying to tread water with a brick on each foot.

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#33]

The first couple of weeks the squadrons come back aboard ship I'm forever tossing people out of my way.

*Ahem* This squadron puke has some ship's company time under his belt, and knows a thing or two about life underway. That being said, I don't move for anyone, Khaki included. I'm 6'6", 300+ lbs, and I will not be forced to bang my head or an elbow or shoulder on a bulkhead fitting just because a khaki is walking in the passageway. And if you see me coming, get out of the way, 'cause I ain't stopping.

I got a lot of nasty looks last cruise, but I don't care. Me going about my business without collecting another bruise is more important than somebody's hurt feelings.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It seem our survival driil differs from yours… I was told (both RN and Merchant Navy)… ditch the boots they only drag you down… I was always advised by old salts to leave the laces out or only one through one set of eyelets and tied loose. Your going swimming not walking. When I had my 'excursion' into the North Sea It was damn hard staying up till I got the boots off, it was like trying to tread water with a brick on each foot.

ANdy

Our drill is keep 'em unless they are going to sink you. You never know where you are going to wash up. To be honest I think our drill comes from our WWII experience in the South Pacific. You didn't want to wash up near some island and have to walk on a coral reef with no boots.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Zaphod....wtf dude. You know as well as I do mommy and daddy wont even let us wear coveralls OFF FUCKING SITE. Its ridiculous.

Well, my recommendation is, of course, predicated on the idea that Mommy and Daddy will STFU and get back to being the CO and XO of a WARSHIP.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

ANdy

"Keeping them" is different from "leaving them on".

It is hellishly difficult, if not impossible, to swim with boots on. Hell, trousers are tough enough.

We were taught to remove our boots, tie the laces together, then sling them around your neck. Immediately thereafter, take off your trousers, tie a knot at the bottom of each leag, and PRESTO! Instant life preerver.

BTW, all this goes out the window if the water is cold. You'll die of exposure before you get picked up!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#37]
This means that the TV series, JAG, is going to have to splurge for new uniforms next season.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ANdy

"Keeping them" is different from "leaving them on".

It is hellishly difficult, if not impossible, to swim with boots on. Hell, trousers are tough enough.

We were taught to remove our boots, tie the laces together, then sling them around your neck. Immediately thereafter, take off your trousers, tie a knot at the bottom of each leag, and PRESTO! Instant life preerver.

BTW, all this goes out the window if the water is cold. You'll die of exposure before you get picked up!

Ah! With you know…  Same as us except you hang on to the boots…

+1 on the cold water… I spent 20 minutes in the North Sea in October… I never want to try that again…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I spent 20 minutes in the North Sea in October… I never want to try that again…

Andy

Uhhhhh....... Is this how you Brits have fun?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

No… that's called some stupid f**ker traversing a crane without ensuring the deck was clear…

I gave him a very firm 'talking to' when I got back on board…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

Well it certainly isn't trips to the dentist, now is it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Most Navy folks think this is a good idea and as someone who will be wearing them eventually, I like them as well.

These are all prototypes. Who knows what they will look like.

http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_041018-N-0000X-002.jpg
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I think the regular pattern looks like fubu or some crap.but its still better than utilities
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top