User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm from Missouri, the number one producer of Meth... it makes people do violent things in desperation for the drug, you can't discount that it is a problem when pharmacies are constantly being robbed for the drugs...

Pharmacies are usually robbed for Narcotics, not Meth.  Stealling Vicodin or Oxycontin from a pharmacy is much more common than stealing Adderral. Narcotics simply have more intense withdrawal syptoms than stimulants, so junkies are more likely to act out in desperation than tweekers are.

Of course there are always exceptions. For example a local pot head robbed a Head shop and got into a shootout with the cops because he wanted a new Bong.  

Okay... either you don't want to understand the problem or you feel backed into a corner... when the police chief says, "The suspect broke into the pharmacy seeking Methanphetamines, his house has been found to contain drug paraphenalia for Meth..." does this mean he did it for Meth?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Great point.. but, tell that horse shit to the men and women that have had their asses blown to Hell because they entered a Meth house and the user's setup exploded. Tell that to the dead high school pharmacy worker that just got her ass plowed by an '82 Lincoln because John Imaworthlessdicktease needed his fix.... it's a problem... whether it's as big a problem as Cocaine is irrelevant...

Yeah you're making the same point the libs make....

"Oh tell that to those families of the people killed by gun violence!!!"
Doesn't mean guns should be illegal.  Plenty of people use guns to kill others.  So there is no such thing as a Utopian society.  People fucking die.  Get real, man.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
deleted
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
At the same time, I doubt use would go up.  Does anyone on this board not smoke mj simply because it's illegal?  

There are drugs that are currently illegal, that i would try if they were not illegal.  Marijuana is not one of them though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Great point.. but, tell that horse shit to the men and women that have had their asses blown to Hell because they entered a Meth house and the user's setup exploded. Tell that to the dead high school pharmacy worker that just got her ass plowed by an '82 Lincoln because John Imaworthlessdicktease needed his fix.... it's a problem... whether it's as big a problem as Cocaine is irrelevant...

Horray for more anectdotal evidence... Its amazing how similar to the anectodat evidence that gun grabbers would use to outlaw weapons.

Its all irrelevent though, we live in a mostly free society, deaths happen, its part of life.

People can be killed by guns, cars, swimming pools, druggies, yet I dont see the need for laws to outlaw any of those. I will not live in fear or without liberty just because bad things happen.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Great point FourtyFive... GUNS SHOULDN'T BE ILLEGAL BECAUSE THERE IS AN AMENDMENT TO OUR CONSTITUION THAT DICTATES THAT...

Now... are you going to argue that drugs shouldn't be outlawed on the argument that they don't really kill people... that people kill people
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
no i'll argue that some drugs shouldn't be illegal because they don't "CAUSE PEOPLE TO DO..."  anything at all.  You are just alleviating the responsibility of the PERSON who put the shit in his body.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yea... great point... copyright laws are heavy on non-watermarked or copyrighted media... nice try though.. Dick.. can I call you dick?

Not within the CoC.

But here's the point: a watermark or other visible copyright claim is not an element of proof of the existence of copyright. If you've used someone else's intellectual property without express permission, you've broken the law. It appears you've done just that. How did your sanctimonious self decide to break that law? Did you make the decision based on ignorance of the law, or based on your belief that you weren't likely to be caught or prosecuted for your wickedness? How do you square this with your earlier position that none of us is competent to decide which laws to obey?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
OFFascist makes the same point
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Okay... either you don't want to understand the problem or you feel backed into a corner... when the police chief says, "The suspect broke into the pharmacy seeking Methanphetamines, his house has been found to contain drug paraphenalia for Meth..." does this mean he did it for Meth?

Does it matter why he committed the crime? Is that really somehow relevent?

Does it make a difference is someone commits a crime because they were high or because they were just stupid?

Shouldnt we punish them both the same way? I dont really see why the fact that he was on meth is important.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yea... great point... copyright laws are heavy on non-watermarked or copyrighted media... nice try though.. Dick.. can I call you dick?

Not within the CoC.

But here's the point: a watermark or other visible copyright claim is not an element of proof of the existence of copyright. If you've used someone else's intellectual property without express permission, you've broken the law. It appears you've done just that. How did your sanctimonious self decide to break that law? Did you make the decision based on ignorance of the law, or based on your belief that you weren't likely to be caught or prosecuted for your wickedness? How do you square this with your earlier position that none of us is competent to decide which laws to obey?

Yes.. right... and who would be the benefactor of your suit? Cpt. Kirk and his batch of invisible Taureans that forged this mighty photograph? Find the original photographer and then I will comply.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At the same time, I doubt use would go up.  Does anyone on this board not smoke mj simply because it's illegal?  

There are drugs that are currently illegal, that i would try if they were not illegal.  Marijuana is not one of them though.

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great point FourtyFive... GUNS SHOULDN'T BE ILLEGAL BECAUSE THERE IS AN AMENDMENT TO OUR CONSTITUION THAT DICTATES THAT...

So you want to argue against drugs on constitutional grounds?

They had to pass an amendment to prohibit alcohol? I dont recall any newer amendments to our constituion that made any other drugs illegal?

So by that token the whole war on drugs is unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I really enjoyed this discussion...but I gotta go fire one up now

45, out!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter why he committed the crime? Is that really somehow relevent?

Does it make a difference is someone commits a crime because they were high or because they were just stupid?

Shouldnt we punish them both the same way? I dont really see why the fact that he was on meth is important.

Actually it does. If everyone got high and it was concluded afterward that they were more susceptible to doing violence on someone else or someone else's property, therefore, encroaching on the liberties of the victim... wouldn't that lead to the conclusion that people shouldn't get high because the crime rate goes up?

Or would you rather allow drinking and driving because people get into crashes regardless they were drunk or just sleeping at the wheel?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's amazing how nonsense like "Reefer Madness" has created such a hardy and misinformed bias.  The only thing bad about smoking pot is that it is against the law.  If it never came to the books, no one would be saying anything about it.  

"I would rather be in a room with a Kerry liberal than a pothead"...at least the pothead would be too stoned to spout off bullshit statistics and rally for fucking animal rights.  

Yeah, but I'd rather debate a lib than smell the pothead...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

What?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's amazing how nonsense like "Reefer Madness" has created such a hardy and misinformed bias.  The only thing bad about smoking pot is that it is against the law.  If it never came to the books, no one would be saying anything about it.  

"I would rather be in a room with a Kerry liberal than a pothead"...at least the pothead would be too stoned to spout off bullshit statistics and rally for fucking animal rights.  

Yeah, but I'd rather debate a lib than smell the pothead...

+1 the odor of burning marijuana gives me an immediate headache.  The smell of bong water makes me gag. way too many pot heads walk around reaking of both.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes.. right... and who would be the benefactor of your suit? Cpt. Kirk and his batch of invisible Taureans that forged this mighty photograph? Find the original photographer and then I will comply.

Fair enough. You admit that you were talking out of your ass and you can't defend the proposition that every one of us is obliged to obey every law at all times. You now argue that if no specific harm can be tied to a given violation of the law, there is no obligation to obey the law. Off to bed, now!  Homeroom comes early!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If everyone got high and it was concluded afterward that they were more susceptible to doing violence on someone else or someone else's property, therefore, encroaching on the liberties of the victim... wouldn't that lead to the conclusion that people shouldn't get high because the crime rate goes up?

Interesting. Criminal law based on mere tendencies. People who have guns are more likely to shoot others than are people who have no guns. People with penises are more likely to rape than are those without. People with cars are more likely to run over others. Nice world you're building there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Actually it does. If everyone got high and it was concluded afterward that they were more susceptible to doing violence on someone else or someone else's property, therefore, encroaching on the liberties of the victim... wouldn't that lead to the conclusion that people shouldn't get high because the crime rate goes up?

IMO the crime rates going up is irrelevent.

IMO you cannot punish someone because they "might" commit a crime.

Sure you might come to the conclusion that crime rates will go up, but you cant say specifically who will commit the crimes, I dont think that gives you the right to arrest people who get high.

Getting high in and of itself should not be a crime, that act alone harms no one but themselves.

If they do go out and commit crimes against others however that is one thing, and IMO having more armed law abiding citizens would deal with that.

If getting high were legal, and if it were legal for more citizens to legally carry firearms on them, then I think the real conclusion would be people who are high shouldnt commit crimes because they will end up dead.

Or would you rather allow drinking and driving because people get into crashes regardless they were drunk or just sleeping at the wheel?

Honestly I dont think it should be a crime unless there is an accident or death. In which case it should be punished severly.

I think the current standards being pushed by MAD and the like where they constantly fight to lower the legal BAC levels is bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
So, how many of you against medical marijuana suffer from chronic pain?

How many of you have gone years taking pain med after pain med only to have the meds sap your body of vitamines and nutrients?

How many of you against this have ever smoked it?

And lastly, how many of you get drunk on a regular basis?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
From the expierance of seeing people use marijuana, it just turns people into worthless dumbasses.

+1
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Edited to add:

Quoted:

ROTFLMFAO!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I think sarge has a point, medical marijuana does haev a lot of benifits. I am actually suprised that the government hasnt made it legal, not only would it create alot of jobsit would also provide more tax dollars for them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I know that this isn't empirical data, but here it is anyway:

I know people with asthma who smoke weed without problems but can't smoke tobacco.

I know of many people who use it for temporary pain relief as well. Also, the "high" is part of the reason that it works to relieve pain in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#27]
If you can get morphine with a prescription, then Pot should be legal for those it works for.

The side effects are much less dangerous.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

In case you can't tell, druggies rate one step below liberals in my book...

I'd rather spend a day in a room with a raving DU Kerry supporter than a pothead...

Why?

Same issue with someone enjoying a martini?

Just asking.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Just For Your Information:

The Constitution Of The United States Is Written On Hemp ' Marijuana' Paper.

For Those NOT sick, You Have NO Idea,
You would DENY Medicine to those who need It.

www.LEAP.cc/   --    www.Cures-not-wars.org/
Truth Will Liberate Earth.
Law EnForcement Against Prohibition

The Cause and Effect Of BAD Laws.

EveryBody Knows Marijuana Is Not Harmful, The Laws Against It IS.

Freedom
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top