Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What about any of the Rambo's, last man standing, assasins, the rock, the untouchables, the jackal, but die hard is good just not the best +1 on boondock saints.

First Blood was OK, but a bit overboard.

Last Man Standing was nothing original.

Assassins?  Never heard of it.

The Rock?  2.75 inch rockets with "guidance chips?"  Little balls of VX that would burst if you breathed on them too hard at the beginning of the movie, but that are bouncing down stairs by the end of it?  Nahh, suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Untouchables was not much of an action flick.  It was more of a crime drama.

The Jackal - the one with Bruce Willis?  You HAVE to be kidding me!

Boondock Saints was great, but too eccentric to be a "best" action flick.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The scene where Willis is nearly drug out the window is one that made me squirm in my seat.  The best moment in the film and one that makes you hold your breath.  Only scene that might compare is the knife fight in Spielbergs Saving Private Ryan, it was hard to watch......

Car chase scenes in Bullitt and French Connection were tense and a little nauseous.  For their day they were the best.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Great thread.
Can't wait to see it again in 3 months.

Oh, and Raiders was the best action flick.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Die Hard was damn good...

The Negotiator

Man on Fire

And of course, Conan the Barbarian!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
As were alread mentioned:
Ronin
Heat.

Also a vote (regardless of the fact that it is a war movie) Saving Private Ryan.

A few other  good flicks:
Way of the Gun
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Bravo Two Zero
The Wild Geese

And, of course--Any James Bond Flick with Sean Connery (Moore was OK, David Niven was funny, Lazenby was marginal, liked Dalton, and Brosnan is somewhere in the middle).

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It is not only the greatest action movie ever made, it is the greatest Christmas movie ever made!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hell no.

Name a better one.

Hardboiled
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The best will always be Ronin.

P.S. What the hell was in the case?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hell no.

Name a better one.

Hardboiled

Oh my God!
Hardboiled was freaking amazing!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]
No...First Blood was the best
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Its good but not the best, there are a lot of others that I would rather watch like Leathel Weapon 1, The Last Boy Scout, or Cobra. There are loys of better ones then I have listed, these are just a few that I could think of off hand.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Rambo: First Blood 2 was better than Die Hard
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey... FUN FACT: The parking lot where the main entrance to the Nakatomi plaza is the SAME PLACE they filmed "Airheads"

Just a little trivia fact.

Oh and as much as I like DH ... For some reason I like DH III just a red c*** hair more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hey... FUN FACT: The parking lot where the main entrance to the Nakatomi plaza is the SAME PLACE they filmed "Airheads"

Just a little trivia fact.

Oh and as much as I like DH ... For some reason I like DH III just a red c*** hair more.

Have you seen "First Blood"?>?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]
What about Bad Boys with Sean Penn? I dont like Penn that much but that movie was bad ass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#17]
What about Under Seige?  Or do you consider it a rip off?

Tommy Lee Jones was an awesome badie in that movie.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What about Bad Boys with Sean Penn? I dont like Penn that much but that movie was bad ass.

Sean Penn wasnt in Bad Boys... or are we talking about two different movies? I ma thinking of the one with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Kill Bill (volume one) rates up there pretty high.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#20]
DrFridge, there was a movie made in the mid-80's with Sean Penn and a few other guys called Bad Boys. Basically Sean Penn is a bad kid, does some stupid stuff and gets put in jail. Its pretty cool his cell mate makes a bomb out of a radio and Penn beats up two guys who are alot older and bigger then him witha pillow case full of full soda cans. I highly recomend it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
DrFridge, there was a movie made in the mid-80's with Sean Penn and a few other guys called Bad Boys. Basically Sean Penn is a bad kid, does some stupid stuff and gets put in jail. Its pretty cool his cell mate makes a bomb out of a radio and Penn beats up two guys who are alot older and bigger then him witha pillow case full of full soda cans. I highly recomend it.

OK Thanks. I thought I was losing it...well, I am but that is another story
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Willis was perfect for Die Hard: A detective put in the middle of a bunch of Bad Guys. Nothing goes 100% right (for either side). And Willis, with his trademark irreverence, pulls it off. Bonnie Bedilia is HOT.

Great movie. As far the "Regular guy done good" Action movies goes, this one takes the cake. The heavy bass strings and tympanies playing Christmas music as the bad guys methodically take the building and turn it into a fortress is classic.

Die Hard Trivia:

The "bad" black geek (Theo) played by Clarence Gilyard also played Chuck Norris' partner in Walker Texas Ranger. He also starred as Tom Cruise' second "Reel" in Top Gun.

Alan Rickman (Hans Gruber): This is the role that both introduced and defined him to U.S. Audiences.
Too bad we don't see more of him here - (I'd really like to see him play a good guy). He has a very good German accent (Hamburg?), and his his american accent played in the movie had me fooled for a minute as well.

Alexander Gudunov ("Karl") died in 1995 of liver failure: he was a member of the Bolshoi Ballet before defecting to the West in 1979, and became an alcoholic (not uncommon for defectors) shortly after leaving ballet for acting.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, Die Hard is an excellent action movie.  True Lies is also very good.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Havent seen Die Hard, I'll borrow it from someone
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#25]
3 pages and nobodey said "Ho Ho Ho Now I have a machingun." Yall are slippin.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hell no.

Name a better one.

Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#27]
My list in order are:

1. Way of the Gun
2. Heat
3. Die Hard
4. T2
5. Last of the Mohicans
6. Predator

It's hard not to factor in genre tho because Predator and T2 are clearly sci-fi but action just as equally. So, in that sense, these are great action movies too...

Band of Brothers
SPR
Gladiator
Open Range
Braveheart
Kirusawa films (Seven Samurai, Ran, etc.)
Proof of Life
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#28]
No, it wasn't that good
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#29]
great movie, dunno if it is the 'best' though
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#30]
"Christmas Vacation" was a better action movie!
(J/K!)

Kill Bill I is another great choice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#31]
other good ones face off, con air, broken arrow, 3000 miles to graceland, half past dead,
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably better.  

But now that you mention it, Die Hard is a solid #2.  

Heat is great, but to me it's more of a drama than action--even though the action that is there is stunning.  

There aren't too many that even come close to Die Hard.  It has all of the elements.  And Willis as the wry, sarcastic, tough but not TOO tough American against the Euro-trash certainly makes me smile.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#35]
HEAT
Ronin
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
The Getaway (the original)
Bring me the Head of Alfrado Garcia
Probably a bunch more 70s stuff in the same vein . . .
Any other Sam Pecinpah movie that could be classified as an action movie . . .

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I liked the movie HEAT much better than DIE HARD because HEAT seemed more realistic, DIE HARD seems more cheesy, especially DIE HARD II with all the riddles and rymes bull shit.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#37]
No But I love the series. I need to pick up the trilogy on DVD.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I liked the movie HEAT much better than DIE HARD because HEAT seemed more realistic, DIE HARD seems more cheesy, especially DIE HARD II with all the riddles and rymes bull shit.

I think everyone agrees Die Hard II sucked ass.  Die Hard III had the riddles - and it was a direct ripoff of Dirty Harry.  

Viewing the individual film on its own merits - and not tainted by a shitty sequel(s) - what do you find so cheesy about Die Hard?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can still remember Christmas time of 1988.
There is no such thing as a glock 7 (it started with the model 17), Glocks are made of steel and polymer, not porcelain, and they are made in Austria, not Germany. They also never were that expensive (though that quote probably sold more Glocks than any other feature of the handgun) and they obviously won't go through a metal detector.

Dude, you're a dealer and you dont even know about the glock 7?  Maybe you should go to germany and look at the factory?  

Die hard was good, ronin was good, the professional was good, the road warrior was good, scarface was good, 3 kings was good, the thomas crowne affair was good, goldeneye was good, gladiator was good, the hunt for red october was good,

The boondock saints was better.

Boondock Saints had too many unbelievable scenes.  A man jumping off a five story building, lands on a body, and walks away.  An "expert" hitman stands 20 feet in front of the 2 "experts" and they shoot at each other with pistols for one minute and the only thing that gets hit is a fellow's thumb.  Too unbelievable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm not sure how "Raiders of the Lost Ark" qualifies as Sci-Fi. It certainly isn't a comedy or a drama, either. That leaves one choice left: Action film.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a better movie than "Diehard."

The test is where are they on display in the movie store?

Ohh and Pulp Fiction was better than both of the above.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#41]
"Heat" and "To Live and Die in LA" get my votes.  "Ronin" is better than "Die Hard" also.   And why not "Red Dawn"?  Not exactly a war movie since the war in it never happened.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"Heat" and "To Live and Die in LA" get my votes.  "Ronin" is better than "Die Hard" also.   And why not "Red Dawn"?  Not exactly a war movie since the war in it never happened.

I like Heat very much - I just wish they'd lose the sappy love-story thread...  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I think SA just likes Die Hard better because of the prodigous use of his name sake.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Kill Bill (volume one) rates up there pretty high.

For me it would be a toss up between Kill Bill and Die Hard.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HEAT

My #2. I think Die Hard was more fun. Heat was great and better thought out.

Am I the only one that thought Heat was a piece of crap minus a couple good shooting scenes?

Kill Bill was a freaking great movie though.  Not sure if it applied to this category though.  If so then I have to add Good, Bad, and Ugly and Enter the Dragon as both better films than Die Hard.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HEAT

Am I the only one that thought Heat was a piece of crap minus a couple good shooting scenes?

Kill Bill was a freaking great movie though.  Not sure if it applied to this category though.  If so then I have to add Good, Bad, and Ugly and Enter the Dragon as both better films than Die Hard.

Enter the isle of Dr. No had some good martial arts scenes - but like most chop socky flicks, was very formulaic and predictable.

The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly - a great movie, but not what I would call "action."

Heat was not a piece of crap - how DARE you!  This is sacrilege! .
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HEAT

No, big +1.  Heat was too long and too slow.  It did have a few good action sequences, but that was it.

I don't get the Ronin thing either, that movie sucked.  DeNiro hasn't made a good movie since Goodfellas.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Heat is way to long and dramatic for me to consider it an action.

I like Die Hard, but I think I like Lethal Weapon just as much...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Ronin..
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I don't know, anyone ever seen the car chase in "To Live and Die in L.A.? Maybe I'm remembering it being better than it was but I was pretty impressed with it at the time. Been several years though.

I'd been waiting years for it to come out on DVD and it finally did.

Worth the wait. While not the best film ever it does have some great scenes, the car chase being one of them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top