BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The liberal media aspect of the series is a tad hard to swallow with one of the "Good Guy" lead roles being an Iraqi Republican Guard member, polictical statement here, and those that would be the most liability in a crisis being the doer bees.  A girl is the macho go into the boonies while the macho male lead, the doctor, stays home even though he has a crush on the girl, social statement here.  It gets worse as a crippled wannabe gets up from his wheel chair to bag a wild boar with just a knife in his hand accompanied by an inner city black and of course you have the drug taking rock and roller going on many of the dangerous missions and bagging the fish.   Meanwhile everyone else constantly wonders around for over four hours of show not doing anything nor is their any characterization or even the same people in the background.  Let's not forget the valley girl with bad attitude and obese guy that's a hero in the making.  Of course, guns are bad and even though monstors are killing folks let's not have guns. Of course the only conservatives one dies and the other is an asshole. Naturaly let's not say a prayer or read from a bible at the memorial service for all the dead but just read the manifest list. There's more liberal political social statements in this series than you can shake a stick at.  

Tj  

This is all you need to know, it only took me two shows to forget about it.  Yea, right kill 500 lbs of prime protein, then disarm and disable the only known working firearm on the island.  How liberal can you get???

Loser show with loser characters and actors.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been meaning to watch that show, I'll probably download the past episodes now.

That being said here are some questions of mine, I've only seen the trailers for it.

How does someone get a gun? Is it off of the dead air mashell guy I someone mentioned in a post?

Also WTF Polar bears? I thought it was a tropical island?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
So nobody on the plane was on the way to Front Sight, or even a hunting trip, and broke out the Pelican cases full of rifles after the crash? <G>
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Claire is hot!

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/bios/emilie_de_ravin.html
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
AND ITS FILMED IN HAWAII TOO.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with whoever said that people who are unprepared to crash land on an island would do the same thing! I would wonder why someone brought a gun on the plane and probably yell for a minute, then steal there gun and walk off . Same with the knives...Kind of creepy...Not a big Locke fan, but I think he knows something that the others don't...

I want to see how the other survivors are living, since there are actually 48 and not just the main ones we see.
Least favorite character is Shannon...Stuck up and annoying...and she used Charlie..grr...I wonder if she REALLY is as rich as she acts...

Edited to add: I forgot to log out of my dad's account...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I like Mr. Locke the best,

1. He has a suitcase full of cool knives
2. He was paralized but cna now walked
3. He's like a cross between good and evil, with the one is dark one is light thing.
4. He killed a bore.
5. He looked death right in the face and just stood there.
6. He won't let people order him around.

I think the island is a huge experimental facility.
The man in the black suit is the own/scientist on the island
Oh and the fat dude is gonna be killed because there is no way he can be stay that fat with no food.

Heres a question, why didn't they eat the "polar" bear.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is all you need to know, it only took me two shows to forget about it.  Yea, right kill 500 lbs of prime protein, then disarm and disable the only known working firearm on the island.  How liberal can you get???

No, it's a very good show with interesting characters and good actors.
The girl unloaded the gun (which only had one remaining cartridge anyway after the guy nearly emptied it into the bear) because the redneck guy and the Iraqi had been close to blows the whole time.  Then, in another episode, she reloaded it again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The girl unloaded the gun (which only had one remaining cartridge anyway after the guy nearly emptied it into the bear) because the redneck guy and the Iraqi had been close to blows the whole time.  Then, in another episode, she reloaded it again.

I had a problem with that, I thought I saw a few extra rounds in the mag plus the one in the spout.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a problem with that, I thought I saw a few extra rounds in the mag plus the one in the spout.

Well, that was indeed a continuity error.  Sawyer later said there was only one round left, even though I thought I saw some rounds in the mag myself.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Surely the US Marshall had more than one mag?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Surely the US Marshall had more than one mag?

BigDozer66

Yes, but a regulation may restrict him to only one on the plane.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I got sucked into it for a couple of episodes because my wife wanted to see it, but there are some parts that were just dumb and had me bitching at the TV screen.

The dialogue isn't too great in some spots.  The bit where the cop is dying and saying over and over that "She's dangerous" but won't bother saying WHY is just stupid.  He knows he's dying, but he won't pass on what he knows to the Doc about a "dangerous" criminal? That's just dumb.  I could just see the writers singing like little kids, "Haha.  She's got a secret, and we won't tell you."  Very bad writing.

Also, my other big beef is with the 18-year-old distress message.  Not a single one of them ever thought of the very first thing that came to my head -- ELECTRICITY!!  If that distress signal has been transmitting for 18 years, then there is something generating power somewhere nearby.  If I were in a survival situation, I'd be looking for it.  It never even crossed their minds.  UGH.

It also means that there is another radio somewhere nearby -- maybe more powerful than their hand-held unit.  That might come in handy too!  Want it?  Nah....

I watched 3 episodes, but I just can't watch anymore.

Based on what you wrote, the red highlighted part, you have not been paying attention, for that is exactly what they are trying to find and even mentioned the very things you did.  Sheesh, if you are gonna be critical, at least know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So nobody on the plane was on the way to Front Sight, or even a hunting trip, and broke out the Pelican cases full of rifles after the crash? <G>

Actually, I have found myself wondering how I would have managed to have one of my AR10s and some ammo on that flight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

3. He's like a cross between good and evil, with the one is dark one is light thing.
4. He killed a bore.

Oh and the fat dude is gonna be killed because there is no way he can be stay that fat with no food.

I don't know why they didn't eat the polar bear...but then again...if a polar bear shows up on an island, wouldn't you wonder why it was there? What if it was like...poisenous or something...just a really random stupid thought...or what if someone was examining it to find out why a POLAR BEAR was on an ISLAND....lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

4. He killed a bore.

So, which survivor was so boring that he decided to kill them?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#18]
The biggest thing that has bothered me was after Charlie saw the man in the suit, he ran towards the trees looking for him. The first thing I would have done is look at the sand for footprints!
I think the polar bear was too far away to bring back. Remember they climbed the cliff to get there? At the time, they also thought they would get rescued any day and didn't need the food.
I think Charlie is a washed up doc..
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The biggest thing that has bothered me was after Charlie saw the man in the suit, he ran towards the trees looking for him. The first thing I would have done is look at the sand for footprints!
I think the polar bear was too far away to bring back. Remember they climbed the cliff to get there? At the time, they also thought they would get rescued any day and didn't need the food.

Well Charlie's on drugs, do you expect him to pay attention to EVERYTHING? lol I don't think they'd get rid of Charlie...I know a lot of people who are tuning into the show JUST for Charlie (which is the reason I got into the show other than the I like people stuck on an island plot thing) They better not get rid of Charlie, he's my favorite! lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well Charlie's on drugs, do you expect him to pay attention to EVERYTHING? lol I don't think they'd get rid of Charlie...I know a lot of people who are tuning into the show JUST for Charlie (which is the reason I got into the show other than the I like people stuck on an island plot thing) They better not get rid of Charlie, he's my favorite! lol

ETA: I don't even think I'd pay attention for footprints lol...but then again I'm me and don't pay attention to everything all the time

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Reading this thread, all I can say is: why in God's name would anybody want to watch the amoral stupidity and craven formula of network television? Hear that gigantic sucking sound? It's your brains, while watching this dreck....

If you have already made up your mind about the election, then shut off the idiot box, go read a book or spend time with the children. Or with others who value your company. Both activities will make you a better person and your world a better place.

Ahhh, spoken like someone who wouldn't have 5,000+ posts on an online firearms discussion board...

FWIW, my wife and I have been watching it since the beginning.  One of the draws for me is Terry O'Quinn (the actor who plays Mr. Locke), who IMHO has been an asset to every TV show or movie he has been in (and he has been in many good shows/movies).  A great character actor - I hope his role becomes more prominent (and it looks like it might, based on the last episode).
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
The polar bear thing is supposedly from the first survivors, the ones who were trapped there 15 years ago. They were on a plane or ship or something, and some things got released from the cargo hold..
The big question is what the hell is the big monster on the island? the one that knocks the trees down, and grabbed the pilot out of the cockpit wreckage?
Some are saying gorilla, but i don't think so. I'm betting on elephant.
The producers have already stated that there is no crazy scifi stuff here, no aliens, no dinosaurs, no 'they're dead and don't know it' or any of that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The polar bear thing is supposedly from the first survivors, the ones who were trapped there 15 years ago. They were on a plane or ship or something, and some things got released from the cargo hold..
The big question is what the hell is the big monster on the island? the one that knocks the trees down, and grabbed the pilot out of the cockpit wreckage?
The producers have already stated that there is no crazy scifi stuff here, no aliens, no dinosaurs, no 'they're dead and don't know it' or any of that stuff.

A gorillaphent...Or maybe the other survivors have something to do with the pilot etc...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The biggest thing that has bothered me was after Charlie Jack saw the man in the suit, he ran towards the trees looking for him. The first thing I would have done is look at the sand for footprints!
I think Charlie Jack is a washed up doc..

Quoting my own Post.
I meant Jack( the doc) when I stupidly typed charlie.
I have a hard time believing an elephant would be growling as it knocked down trees and ate people..
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The biggest thing that has bothered me was after Charlie Jack saw the man in the suit, he ran towards the trees looking for him. The first thing I would have done is look at the sand for footprints!
I think Charlie Jack is a washed up doc..

Quoting my own Post.
I meant Jack( the doc) when I stupidly typed charlie.
I have a hard time believing an elephant would be growling as it knocked down trees and eating people..

lol and I was wondering if I had missed Charlie seeing the guy in the suit...hmm someone should photoshop a gorilla and an elephant mixed together
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been trying to come up with plausible animals the "monster" could be since the show execs have said it isn't a scifi/dinosaur thing.  If it was an elephant it wouldn't growl.  What is big enough to knock down trees as it quickly runs through the forest other than a elephant though?  But it also didn't actually eat the pilot, just mangled/killed him.  So an elephant wouldn't be a bad idea if it weren't for the growling thing, but who said TV had to be accurate....  Great big Kodiak bear?  What ever it is also needs to be tall enough or a good enough climber to get up to the top of the cockpit where the pilot was grabbed/killed at, and then deposite the body at the top of some tree branches without knocking over the trees.  Maybe it is a extra big silverback gorilla or something.  I was just thinking bigger for some reason though...

And then there's Locke, who surely saw the thing in the last episode, yet has kept it quiet.  What's that about if it's a normal animal, why wouldn't he tell everyone it's just a freakin elephant?  Of course there's also the why the heck didn't it kill him part???
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the giant monster killed the boar and Locke just dragged it back and took the credit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I think the producers are lying.  An elephant wouldn't have been able to yank the pilot out of the cockpit, and neither would a gorilla.  It's something unnatural, no matter what the producers are saying, and I am betting on something supernatural.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#30]
IIRC, you cant eat bear.  Its too high in some vitamins such that you'll actually overdose.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Based on what you wrote, the red highlighted part, you have not been paying attention, for that is exactly what they are trying to find and even mentioned the very things you did.  Sheesh, if you are gonna be critical, at least know what you are talking about.

Will everyone please just forget that I ever posted anything in this thread, please?  I acknowleged 2 pages ago that I didn't see the episode where they tried to track down the signal, as I had stopped watching at that point.  Just drop it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#33]
With some shame, I admit to watching the show and enjoying it.

But having a brain, it requires some effort to suspend disbelief.

One beef I have is with Locke. Having been on crutches for 2 months following knee surgery, I know about atrophy. When you don't use a muscle it deteriorates. Yet this guy stands up following how-many-years in a wheelchair and start running around helping crash survivors and killing wild boar with a knife. He goes from paralized to O.J. Simpson because his plane crashed? Right...

Anyway, some Lost trivia: Locke and the copilot both starred in another ABC show. What was it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
IIRC, you cant eat bear.  Its too high in some vitamins such that you'll actually overdose.

Kharn

I think you only have to worry if you eat only bear meat for several days.  I remember reading about two guys who got stranded in Alaska or somewhere remote, and they survived for about 3 weeks on pretty much just bear meat before they were rescued.  They got sick from it but recovered.  I believe bear liver is especially high in those vitamins.  I'd avoid that in any large quantity.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#35]
My co-worker came up with a theory on Lost; she thinks they are all dead which would explain why Locke can walk and why that message would still be running after 16 years.  Remember the black lady saying that her husband was alive how would she know that unless she knew she was dead?  Maybe my co-worker is right???
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
With some shame, I admit to watching the show and enjoying it.

But having a brain, it requires some effort to suspend disbelief.

One beef I have is with Locke. Having been on crutches for 2 months following knee surgery, I know about atrophy. When you don't use a muscle it deteriorates. Yet this guy stands up following how-many-years in a wheelchair and start running around helping crash survivors and killing wild boar with a knife. He goes from paralized to O.J. Simpson because his plane crashed? Right...

Umm...psst...it's a MIRACLE.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My co-worker came up with a theory on Lost; she thinks they are all dead which would explain why Locke can walk and why that message would still be running after 16 years.  Remember the black lady saying that her husband was alive how would she know that unless she knew she was dead?  Maybe my co-worker is right???

[Twilight Zone theme]Da-duh, Da-duh, Da-duh, Da-duh, Da-duh, Da-duh, Da-duh, Da-duh, Da-duh [/Twilight Zone theme]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Anyway, some Lost trivia: Locke and the copilot both starred in another ABC show. What was it?

That's not trivia.  J.J. Abrams is the writer / producer of Lost.  It was expected to see Alias crossover stars.

Is it not possible that Locke's paralysis was quasi mental?  They never really explained WHY he was in the chair, unless I missed that part.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Actually, that would be a very plausible, and titillating, plot line.  After all, the doc is now starting to see mysterious characters and other things about the show makes one wonder if your co-worker is not correct.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, that would be a very plausible, and titillating, plot line.  After all, the doc is now starting to see mysterious characters and other things about the show makes one wonder if your co-worker is not correct.

She thinks it has a sort of "6th Sense" type of plot.  Either way, I'm hooked and have to watch it now
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I've seen several people post that the guy that was "put out of his misery" and said "She's dangerous" was a U.S. Marshal.

In the flashback scene, I don't believe the guy was a U.S. Marshal. In addition to his shitty attitude on the plane.

Yes, the one guy found a gun and a U.S. Marshal's badge, but, that doesn't necessarily mean it was that guy's gun and badge, does it?

His actions and reward and stuff...in AUSTRALIA, make me think he was a bounty hunter. The gun came from the onboard Air Marshal, perhaps, whom we've not met or was killed outright.

Never assume that they're telling you everything....

I like the show. It has imagination and a guy who can kill a Polar bear with a 9mm.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
grabbed the pilot out of the cockpit wreckage?

What snatched the pilot out of the cockpit and killed him was managment greed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top