User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I say we start travelling on anti-matter vehicles
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesnt really effect me.  Driving a VW rabbit Diesel with 42 mpg kind of avoids the gas prices.  Even if diesel goes up I'm still running off the full tank from september.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Paid $2.30/gal reg unlead at a BP/ARCO. That is the cheapest, I've found in the San Gabriel Valley area of So. Calif(about 10 miles east of L.A.) There more expensive brands. I just try to drive at little as possible, or try to combine all of my trips so to save gasoline. My minivan gets only 11GPM in-town.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I saw a comparison somewhere that if you bought a hybrid over the "same size" conventional car it would take you about  seven years before you would actually be saving any money.  I think you would have broken even in the sixth year of ownership.

I've got two vehicles now (pickup & SUV), and it's kind of silly as they almost overlap in terms of capability although one is nicer.  I think I'll give up the SUV when this one dies (4Runner so it will be a while), and get a non hybrid economy car.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just topped off the tank yesterday at $2.059 a gallon.  However, I drive a Honda Insight and am getting around 68MPG on my commute so I don't really think about it too much.

www.schaffrath.net/photos/Insight.jpg

Finally, someone chimes in with a good solution to bitching about fuel prices.  I've had enough whining from people driving large SUVs.  

Even worse are the people that believe that fuel shouldn't be subject to market forces.  How many times do we hear that oil hit a record high lately.  The question is, what didn't.  Milk, OJ, meat,...

Keep in mind, I have no problem with current gas prices....however some of us who drive SUV's and trucks actually NEED them.  In my situation, I am involved in the forest products industry.  I drive long distances to job sites and require fourwheel drive and in some cases a winch and an ATV to get to the timber.  The past two months I have averaged almost $160 a week in gas.  I have a friend in the home construction business who has similar fuel costs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just topped off the tank yesterday at $2.059 a gallon.  However, I drive a Honda Insight and am getting around 68MPG on my commute so I don't really think about it too much.

www.schaffrath.net/photos/Insight.jpg

Finally, someone chimes in with a good solution to bitching about fuel prices.  I've had enough whining from people driving large SUVs.  

Even worse are the people that believe that fuel shouldn't be subject to market forces.  How many times do we hear that oil hit a record high lately.  The question is, what didn't.  Milk, OJ, meat,...

Keep in mind, I have no problem with current gas prices....however some of us who drive SUV's and trucks actually NEED them.  In my situation, I am involved in the forest products industry.  I drive long distances to job sites and require fourwheel drive and in some cases a winch and an ATV to get to the timber.  The past two months I have averaged almost $160 a week in gas.  I have a friend in the home construction business who has similar fuel costs.

I have a 4WD because I WANT one. I hunt, I sometimes hook my truck to things and pull them around, I drive offroad (not hardcore), and I needed room for 2 adults, 2 car seats and our "stuff".  It was  4 door truck, SUV or minivan....latter just wasn't happening.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a lifestyle to affect.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#9]
The price has not yet affected me.  I am looking for a SUV with 4WD only because I need it to get up my driveway.  The kids get tired of walking the last hundred steps up the driveway to the house in the middle of January during a blizzard.  We've sucked it up the last four years, but even I am tired of leaving the van at the bottom of the driveway and walking the remainder.  Maybe I am getting old and soft.

Anyway the van gets roughly 2 mpg better than a mid size SUV--maybe.   I guess it also could be the way I drive?!?!

I've heard predictions on what will occur after the elections about skyrocketing prices on any fuel.  I guess all we can do is whine and bitch about it--and then just get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a full time college student. I drive about 250 miles a week. I am in bad shape.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I live near work.  I don't need to do much additional driving.  And I shop for cheap gas using gasbuddy.com.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope, I just suck it up keep driving...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes. Paying $2.39+ a gallon is really biting into my discretionary income.  I was over $300.00 in the red last month.

My monthy gas bill runs between $153.02 - $323.45.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top