Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, fight it.  What have you got to lose  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To everyone who says they have me; Have you looked at the photo?  The large amount of glare over the face didn't disuade you at all?

Chris

When the judge asks you directly if it is you it the picture, what is your reply going to be?

Look him straight in the eye and say: NO IT ISN'T ME, AND I DON'T RECALL WHO IT IS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...lots of other people have taken it in the ass so you should too...

Spoken like a true communist.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not trying to weasel out of anything.  The government has a responsibility to PROVE a crime was committed.  I'm not inclined to do their leg work for them.   And I don't think they have met their burden of proof with that photo.

Chris

oh don't get all uppity mr. "I've got rights" ...lots of other people have taken it in the ass so you should too... I suppose your pansy ass is thinking about getting a lawyer to play games by using those rights you think you're entitled to, I mean it's not like the state has a lawyer or anything, quit playing games pay your tax and move along plebe, before you get squished

eta: wtf does a picture of his car prove? I got pictures of all sorts of cars, should I send them to the police to prosecute their owners? I would hate to be the reason so many vile criminals remained free

Yeah, great fucking idea.  Let's just go to court and say to the state: FUCK ME UP THE ASS.  YOU HAVE NO BURDEN OF PROOF.  I'LL JUST MAKE YOUR CASE.

Not.

batteries on our sarcasm detector run out?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
To everyone who says they have me; Have you looked at the photo?  The large amount of glare over the face didn't disuade you at all?

Chris

When the judge asks you directly if it is you it the picture, what is your reply going to be?

"The picture was taken on July 6th, My first notice of this was infraction was on Oct. 12.  I have no reason to remember who was driving my car that day.   Your Honor, many of my friends have driven my car I can't tell you from that picture with ANY certainty WHO it is.  I can give you a list of people it MAY be."

And he will sugest you plead guilty and pay your fines.

a judge has no business doing such a thing
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...lots of other people have taken it in the ass so you should too...

Spoken like a true communist.

like lead
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You deserve a ticket fro driving that faggot assed/soccer mom wannabe car.

Personally I'd pay the ticket, then rent a cherry picker and an oxy/acetaline torch....go cut that fucking camera down and shove it up the mayors ass. I hate those damn things.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If you let others drive your car, the insurance company WILL raise your rates big time.

Going to court without an attorney is a waste of your time, you stand little chance of winning.  Get an attorney, and get a good one.  If he can't help you, a good one will tell you to pay up and quit speeding.

The last time I beat a ticket that I was guilty of, my attorney advised me to get rid of my car as we left the courthouse.  Good advice IMHO, and the LEO was arguing (quite loudly as I recall)with the judge as we were walking out.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You deserve a ticket fro driving that faggot assed/soccer mom wannabe car.

God forbid, I might actually choose to drive a car that you don't like.  Fuck off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure you can claim it wasn't you, but well...WAS it you?  If so, and if you did run the light, why fight it?  I can see fighting for a reduced fine, but to claim it wasn't you if it was is just wrong, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sure you can claim it wasn't you, but well...WAS it you?  If so, and if you did run the light, why fight it?  I can see fighting for a reduced fine, but to claim it wasn't you if it was is just wrong, IMO.

It was a speeding ticket, not red light ticket.  I don't plan on claiming anything.  I plan on telling the judge that the city hasn't met it's burden of proof.  Do you agree after looking at the photo?pic

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

"The picture was taken on July 6th, My first notice of this was infraction was on Oct. 12.  I have no reason to remember who was driving my car that day.   Your Honor, many of my friends have driven my car I can't tell you from that picture with ANY certainty WHO it is.  I can give you a list of people it MAY be."

He would repeat his question, as you did'nt answer it the first time........
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He would repeat his question, as you did'nt answer it the first time........

"Your Honor, from that picture I cannot tell."
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Take a picture of your money and send it to them.

Hahaha, I remember a guy in Hawaii doing that when we had camera vans on the freeways, he got a picture back of a jailcell and a courtroom, needless to say he appeared on time.  They stopped that program in Hawaii after about 6 months, too many people complaining about bullshit tickets and the private company tried to file suit against the county of honolulu for not fulfilling its obligatory contract.  I dunno what happened between the company and the county or state.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"Your honor, I would like to exercize my 5th amedment right."

Not a criminal proceeding... But I like your style

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
argue that you were not afforded a speedy trial since it took so long to get your ticket.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
amazing that so many of you seem to think that these cameras are okay.

absolutely fucking sad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Photo radar puts speeding on a par with bank robbery.
www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=3624&page_number=1

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Fight it.  The whole speeding ticket industry is bullshit.  Especially photo radar.  Don't listen to the wusses that say "pay it like a man"  I say " Fight it like a man. Any way you can"   Don't make it easy for the bastards.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#23]

I don't have the original image.  I think the original image has enough info for imaging IDsoftware to nail you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't have the original image.  I think the original image has enough info for imaging IDsoftware to nail you.

Thank you, AR.  You are the first to say pay it based on the evidence.  I appreciate your advice.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#25]
silenced .22 + dark night + traffic camera = payback
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

and if they have a sense of humor they'll send back a picture of handcuffs, if they lack humor, hide your dogs!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't pay it...there are no features on that head in the picture.  At the minimum you can have the ticket reduced by trying to fight it.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, AR.  You are the first to say pay it based on the evidence.  I appreciate your advice.

Chris

Fight it, but don't purger yourself.  Request info on inspection and certification of the unit.  Get a copy of the installation instructions.  NO ONE installs anything exactly right , as far as the manual goes.

Thunderstorms throw radar off, get the weather report.  It looks like you were in tight traffic, how narrow a beam that thing throw out?  Was it safe to go slower, or was traffic bunched?

That kind of defense.

BTW I think I could find the person in this photo at a small gathering  if I had this photo for ID.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I bet It can be fought because this method does not give you Due Process.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Speeding is not a crime.  Fuck the bastards.

FIGHT IT!  They have the burden of proof.  Let a jury decide the issue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#32]
This happened in freedom loving Arizona?

BTW; I would not be willing to perjure myself to save a couple hundred bucks. Others would.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

BTW; I would not be willing to perjure myself to save a couple hundred bucks. Others would.

I don't plan of perjuring myself,  when asked if its me in the picture I will respond "Your Honor from that picture I cannot tell."

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
**********PLEASE READ************

As guilty as you may be, you have not been served properly unless someone came to your door and handed you the summons. Mailing the summons is the states way of getting revenue from those who don't know the law. I was a process server when I was putting myself through college. We handled a portion of photo radar tickets from Mesa. Most people just pay the fine or go to traffic school. When I received mine from Scottsdale I tossed it in the trash, they mailed another one and I tossed it in the trash also. Finally they sent a process server to my house and tried to serve me. I never answered the door for anyone for a about two months. I found out that a process server lied about personally servng me, went in and talked to the judge and he threw the case out.

I say screw them. I would at least make them serve you properly. Stand up for your rights.

Yup...any ticket or citation that comes in regular mail (not certified) gets automatically shredded and shitcanned...I never got it, and nobody can prove that I did...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I would suggest you appear in court and admit guilt.  The judge can reduce the fine and probably will.  A friend of mine got a red light camera ticket, ($371.)  took my advise and judge reduced it to $200.  If you fight it (waste valuable court time) you will probably end up paying the full amount.  You know it is you, the judge is probably pretty smart also and will be able to figure it out also.  Man up, admit you are wrong and pay yhe fine.  Of course pay as little as you can.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't plan of perjuring myself,  when asked if its me in the picture I will respond "Your Honor from that picture I cannot tell."

Sounds like pergury to me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Around here they just made the court costs more than the ticket so even if you win you lose.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
amazing that so many of you seem to think that these cameras are okay.

absolutely fucking sad.

+1.  You'd think the state would be better off spending money trying to fight actual crime.  I hear there are millions of assault weapons out there on the street right now killing innocent people.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Pay the ticket but go back and shoot the camera.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never understood how they can do this.  You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.  These photo tickets are 100% contrary to this.  You are required to prove that you weren't driving that car.  If you can't you're guilty.  How does this pass Constitutional muster?  Could somebody with more legal knowledge please explain.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've never understood how they can do this.  You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.  These photo tickets are 100% contrary to this.  You are required to prove that you weren't driving that car.  If you can't you're guilty.  How does this pass Constitutional muster?  Could somebody with more legal knowledge please explain.

Let me start by saying I do not like red light cameras.  I thought they were unconstitutional because we have a right to confront our accusers.  Well if you plead not guilty you will have to come back to court on another date and the cop that sent you the ticket after viewing the photo will show up.  He will most likely be able to prove it is you driving and you will lose.

As far as being considered innocent until proven guilty you are and it is just the same as a cop pulling you over for speeding.  Just because he pulled you over and you signed the citation does not mean you are guilty.  A red light camera is the same.  You are considered innocent until the judge finds you guilty.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#42]
When machines are used to ticket speeders automatically, they ought to just go ahead and put transmitters in speed signs that send a signal to your car's new mandatory electronic speed govenor.

It's horseshit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#43]
perjury, "purge" is not the root word
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Hope you have $247. You're going to pay every penny of it even if you fight it in court. It's your car & it sounds like you know it was you behind the wheel. Just pay up & be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#45]
You have a right to face your accusers Right ....demand the camera be in the court room for cross.  I got out of a ticket from the Kentucky state police years a ago.  I got a ticket for running a red light.  The road had jut been paved and they had not yet re painted all the lines.  My defence was since there was no stop bar painted on the ground at the intersection how was the officer to determin WHEN a violation of the MVC had happened.  

not knowing the law is not a defence... knowing what the law is IS

The law was written "when you cross the stop bar AFTER the light has changed red" you have "run" a red light.  Since there was no stop bar no crime could have been.   THe tropper WAS pissed
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me start by saying I do not like red light cameras.  I thought they were unconstitutional because we have a right to confront our accusers.  Well if you plead not guilty you will have to come back to court on another date and the cop that sent you the ticket after viewing the photo will show up.  He will most likely be able to prove it is you driving and you will lose.

As far as being considered innocent until proven guilty you are and it is just the same as a cop pulling you over for speeding.  Just because he pulled you over and you signed the citation does not mean you are guilty.  A red light camera is the same.  You are considered innocent until the judge finds you guilty.

I agree with the second portion of this.... as to the first, you have a right inherent in due process to confront the wtinesses against you....what this essentially boils down to is a right of cross examination of witnesses presented by the state...red light camera/speeding camera evidence cannot speak for itself and requires a sponsoring witness who should be subject to cross examination thereby avoiding any "confrontation clause" problems.

cck, it's not a criminal proceeding? administrative then? It's still done in the courts and not administratively here but in most cases, even if the charge is handled through admin procedure, the same rights and privileges tend to be applicable, including the 5th Amendment but you would have to check the laws in the jurisdiction where you have been charged.

Typically, the judge in a criminal proceeding would not ask any substantive questions. The prosecutor would have to call you to the witness stand and at that time you could refuse to take the stand as the State cannot compel you to testify against yourself. The catch is that you would not be permitted to take the stand in your own defense either and the case would rise and fall on whether the prosecutor made out his case...of course, even if he hasn't, the judge/jury may find in his favor...then what? appeal? not likely as the cost is prohibitive. whatever the case, good luck
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#47]
The witness in this case would be the "issuing officer" the one who looked at the photos and sent you the citation.  You could confront him and ask questions of him as to how he determined it was you etc.  Like I said I don't like them but I now believe them to be Constitutional.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#48]
There was a guy I believe in Maine who recieved a photo of his plates in the mail saying he ran through a toll booth....so the guy took a photo of the money he needed to pay...a few weeks later he got a another photo of some handcuffs....he paid the fine...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Pay the ticket, then get EVEN.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top