Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2001 6:56:42 AM EDT
My daughter just graduated high school, and wants a palm pilot for her grad. present, any experience/opinions??
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Palm IIIxe, it's been pretty handy.  I travel alot for work and it's easy to write e-mail while flying or check phone #'s/addresses and such without having to pull out the laptop.

Mine is easy to use and learning the letter shortcuts was no problem.  It does suck down the batteries, so she'll need to keep a couple of fresh AAA's handy.

Congrats' to her.

JT
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a TRGpro that I really like.  It is basically a Palm III, but it has an expansion slot for a CompactFlash memory card.  This is similar to the new Palm 500's that also have a memory slot.  The TRG was only $300.  I am a physician and use my TRG a lot.  I like having the extra memory capacity that the memory card allows so that I can carry textbooks, drug information, and journal articles in my pocket.

You can check it out at [url]www.trgpro.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
They are a worthwhile gift.  I would suggest either the palm Vx or the palm IIIx.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Never thought I needed one til I got one, now I can't live without it. I use the Palm VIIx and love it, wireless email and some internet access as well as all the usual stuff. Prices just dropped on this unit too giving alot of bang or the buck, I bought one last year for almost $500 and it got stolen and I replaced it last month for less than $300 with a $100 rebate.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I second the Handsprig Visor.

These things are evloving at a very rapid pace, but as of 8 months ago when I got mine, the Visor had far more bang for the buck than the Pilot models.

It wasn't as fancy as the top of the line PP(it was way less expensive), but had far more features than the lower end PP, for only a few dollars more.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Flashoveride.  Goto mysimon.com.  You can get a Palm Vx for around $225.  Thats a good deal.  They were $300+ a few months ago. Its the smallest and coolest looking. She will need one to trade info with her friends etc.  We already use it at the hosptial to trade info on patients.  I would go with the Palm.  Its a proven system and lots of people have them.  We bought visors initially but we had lots of porblems with durability.  They were failing at a much higher rate than the real Palms.  We switched and have had much less repairs and replacments.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
might consider one of the newer ones like the palm 7, they're about the same price and have the wireless built in. you can use it like a regular palm without the service.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
might consider one of the newer ones like the palm 7, they're about the same price and have the wireless built in. you can use it like a regular palm without the service.
View Quote

Question: might these be used for field communications without giving away you location thereby replacing radio comms?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#11]
btt
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Question: might these be used for field communications without giving away you location thereby replacing radio comms?
View Quote

I suppose if you'd be willing to put your faith in whatever cell-carrier your using. you sign them up just like a cell phone with a monthly bill and everything. Plus, you ever tried to write on those things? I have their stupid little 'graffitti' alphabet memorized cause I have to set up palms for people at work just a simple little message like "the jaguar has entered the henhouse" would take like...a long time to write.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I read somewhere that with the Visior you cannot upgrade the Operating System???
After two years, I am still using my Pilot IIIx,  my whole life is in there, I really recommend the Pilot, U.S robotics’  customer support is excellent.

Carlos
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I am boycotting Handspring, because the owners were big Al Gore contributors and endorsors.  My old PalmPro is about 4 years old and still running great.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top