Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It's simple, they can't. they are no longer a Christian if something like this took place.

What are you implying?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some religious people are posers , Some are GENUINE , some are neither .

Some just freak me out.  Sorry folks, if you get too involved in religion.. you turn wierd.. its not something that can be helped.  Religion freaks me out.

" 20Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks[2] foolishness, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. "

1st Corinthians 1

There are some genuine loons who use "religion" as an excuse to be loony. But TRUE children of the Most High are sane and in their right minds:

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. "

2nd Timothy 1:7

Things may seem "wierd" to you because you have never lived from your spirit, but always through your mind. Your mind will never receive the choice things of God. God is Spirit, and those that worship Him must do so in spirit and truth. You must be willing to give up control of your life. Most are not, and this holds them back from knowing Him intimately.

But TRUE children of the Most High are sane and in their right minds

See, thats the kind of thing I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
How can you have a discussion on premarital sex without discussing Thomas Aquinas? Funny how this wasn't a problem until the 13th century...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe if all those imperfect xtians weren't so quick to toss around those stones so freely....

Yes it would..... but as you said... they are "imperfect" and any stone throwing is just one more imperfection... a representation of their sin.

ALL have sinned, and fallen short of God's glory.  ALL.  It just looks and feels a lot worse when we see the hypocrisy of Christians, who believe, and might even outwardly say one thing... then DO another.  I know, it took me a long time to get over this..... but it is all there in black and white.  

Judge not, lest you be judged.

I know I am a sinner, I know I dont deserve grace, and I struggle, and I fail.  But it doesnt keep me from trying.

Now.... as to the sex thing.... yes.... they KNOW they are sinning, they KNOW it is wrong, they just let desire win.  Some rationalize it, even make themselves believe it's ok..... but deep down, inside, they know they are wrong.  The world has a stronger hold on some of us.... and it's hard to let go.  It does not change their forgiveness, as long as they face thier sin, are TRULY repentant, and beg for forgiveness.

Helps me get through the day....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
ETH,

You sound like Kerry last night in the debate trying in vain to justify government funded abortion.

Sure God will forgive you, does that make it right, absolutely not.

Faith is what pleases God and anything not of faith is sin.

Trust God to bring the right woman to you without trying her out first.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sunday morning religious people ... those that talk a good line but lie, cheat, steal, abuse their family members, fail to be a good father or husband, go to stripper clubs, do drugs ... yet dress up all pretty on Sunday morning and make an appearance at services.

BTW: Christians are the only ones that are guilty.

IBTT!

And the Catholics who go to church on Saturday night, because they want to go out drinking afterwards, screw their girlfriends, cheat on their wives, etc., and then are too lazy or hung over to get up Sunday morning to be "forgiven".  Might fall asleep or puke in the isles.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
i need to add to this discussion being an 19 yo christian in college.
God gave man the gift of sex between a husband and wife. satan perverted it so that people do it outside of wedlock

when we acept Jesus were born again- called to a higher purpose if you will. regardless of how hot a chick is you can resist this SIN. i have friends who broke up with gf b/c all they did was grab her boob. if you feel yourself struggling just meditate on Jesus' sacrifice/ say a prayer/ call a fellow christian. realise youre not alone.

ive talked to a bunch of married christians who sexed outside of wedlock and feel horrible about it. just have faith that God will provide you with a wife. i dont want to have to look at my future wife and think back on all the sluts i did

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sunday morning religious people ... those that talk a good line but lie, cheat, steal, abuse their family members, fail to be a good father or husband, go to stripper clubs, do drugs ... yet dress up all pretty on Sunday morning and make an appearance at services.

BTW: Christians are the only ones that are guilty.

IBTT!

And the Catholics who go to church on Saturday night, because they want to go out drinking afterwards, screw their girlfriends, cheat on their wives, etc., and then are too lazy or hung over to get up Sunday morning to be "forgiven".  Might fall asleep or puke in the isles.  

Bah, drunk church rocks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Christians are not perfect........... but they are forgiven....

AKASL

Which is why Christianity is the biggest enabler ever. It's not your fault, Jesus was the only perfect person ever.  I have found my Christian friends much more likely to have a cavalier attitude about their fuck ups than my agnostic and atheist friends.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Rationalizing is not at work here. Good common sense is.

congradulations, you've now rationalized your rationalizing.  And I didn't think you could become any more ludicrous.

Your hypocrisy really does know no bounds does it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Guilty as charged. I make no bones about it (not that I've gotten any from anywhere outside my marriage since my wedding).

It's against the Commandments of God, but so is my wishing several undesireable human beings violently dead.

I'm not perfect, just forgiven. I stray, but I try not to be openly abusive of Christ's gift.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe, but no one here is the proper judge of that, and the One who is knows me far better than a few sins I may knowingly commit.

That said, I call sluts (male or female) sluts for reasons entirely devoid of religious content. I look at it as a self-esteem issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow...I had no idea Jesus was back walking on this Earth.....He must be from all this Judgement I am reading........

Sgtar15

Maybe if all those imperfect xtians weren't so quick to toss around those stones so freely....

True..and I for one will work on that.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Guilty as charged. I make no bones about it (not that I've gotten any from anywhere outside my marriage since my wedding).

It's against the Commandments of God, but so is my wishing several undesireable human beings violently dead.

I'm not perfect, just forgiven. I stray, but I try not to be openly abusive of Christ's gift.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe, but no one here is the proper judge of that, and the One who is knows me far better than a few sins I may knowingly commit.

That said, I call sluts (male or female) sluts for reasons entirely devoid of religious content. I look at it as a self-esteem issue.

Well, I'll be sure not to introduce you to any of my tramps then, I'd hate to tempt you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So then I guess I just wait until I'm on my deathbed to convert huh?  Or wait until I'm married and have kids and my wife keeps my nuts in her purse and it's easy not to sin.

You can't get saved whenever you want to. It has to be a sovereign work by God.

Looking at a woman to lust after her is adultery too according to Jesus. So if you can't get a handle on lust before you are married, odds are you won't get control of it afterwards either. The marriage vows don't change a person from the inside out. But a real experience with Christ does.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I am afraid I don't follow your objection to my post. Please explain.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Non-Believers pick on Christians and our "contradictary nature" because it is easy to. You see, Non-Believers don't have any formal regulations upon themselves as a group. Now, one NB may have a certain set of ethnics, but that is known to himself or to those that he has professed this set of morals and principles to. Therefore, no one has any expectations of him or measures him by some generally known standard.

Christians, however, are focused on because we actually try to hold ourselves to a certain set of standards. A Christian and a NB could do two identical controversial things, but it would be the Christian that would take the brunt of the criticism because people are focusing that he is a Christian, not that the consequences of their actions were identical.

There are just as many NB that abuse people, money, power, etc. in this world, and regardless of a person's motives, the consequences of their actions on their surroundings are identical. This discussion isn't about the pragmatic consequences that affect people in the world, it's about a relatively insignificant subject of motivation for one's actions.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've never made any secret of the fact that since my divorce from the last Ex-Miz Hun became final in May, 2004, I have been on a singular hunt for the perfect replacement pie.

I fgure that I was faithful and kept only to the last Ex-Miz Hun from approximately January, 1981, until I met a 24 year old chick in June, 2004.

During that period, I never gave so much as a sideways glance at another girl with the idea of anything sexual.

And that is emminently commendable, and the way a Christian man should be.

Even when I contemplated sexual situations during that 23 year stretch, it was always the last Ex-Miz Hun who was the other player in my reveries.

The Proverbs say to take joy in the wife of your youth....Nothing wrong with that at all.

Now, that we are divorced, I am trying to find another young lady who would be willing to go a similar period with me as the be-all, end-all in her life, as the last Ex-Miz Hun was in mine.

Nothing wrong with finding a new mate provided the divorce was for the right reasons.

To do so, nowadays, requires a little good old fashioned reconoitering, testing the waters, kicking the tires, trying out the jacuzzi and the plumbing, so to speak.

Here, sir, I must disagree with you. The times we live in do not have the effect of lowering God's standards in the least.

So, does Jesus pardon my indiscretions as I go about finding someone with whom to begin a committed relationship?

Surely, He does.

If we sin willfully after we have come to the knowledge of the truth, there remains for us no sacrifice for sin. Jesus pardons sin, but willfully ignoring what we know to be right is not acceptable. Doing so "tramples the Son of God underfoot, counts the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insults the Spirit of grace." (Hebrews 10)

And I never purposefully hurt anyone during the tactical and strategic maneuvers, and I am always honest to a fault in revealing my intentions, plain and without mincing words.

Honesty is commendable.

I, therefore, consider myself a sinning Christian, devoutly seeking a path to become as sin-free as possible in the very near future.

I am not even sure how to tackle that statement. It is good that you are still able to feel convicted for wrong, but understand that the conviction you feel is a work of the Holy Spirit. It is Him telling you to turn away from whatever you do that brings that sense of conviction. Failing to do so grieves the Spirit, and can have dire consequences.

What the Good Lord doesn't wish me to do, however, is to hurredly find a wife, and to repent at leisure of a hasty, rash, and ill-considered decision to do so.

This is a true statement. God does not want us to make hasty comittments without Him. But the answer to that is patience, not dabbling in enough sin to "get by." If we follow Him as Lord, we will be taken care of. It is when we start doing things ourselves that we get caught in a trap.

Make sense?

Yes and no. Some of your statements are true. Others....Well, others do not. We are all capable of loosing our way. That is why Christian brothers and sisters are urged to bear one another up in prayer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Christians are not perfect........... but they are forgiven....

AKASL

Which is why Christianity is the biggest enabler ever. It's not your fault, Jesus was the only perfect person ever.  I have found my Christian friends much more likely to have a cavalier attitude about their fuck ups than my agnostic and atheist friends.

And what they display is the improper attitude. When one studies the Word, they find out that Grace is not one big coverup for all of our sins. Certainly part of the Grace delivered by Christ is the atonement for our past sins, but the other part of Grace is the divine influence upon the heart of men that transforms them from rebels into sons of the Living God. From those who curse God to those who cry out by the Spirit of Adoption, Abba Father. Grace is the power of Christ that transforms a man's heart and molds him in the express image of Christ.

Jesus is not my get out of jail free card. To confine His great work and great sacrifice to simply "getting me off" is to demean Him in the worst extreme. It makes Christ a servant to me, instead of making me His servant.

But so many people do not consult the Word to discover these plain truths evident in Jesus' own words. To do so would require a change from them, and they think if they remain ignorant and hold to the heresy that somehow God will have to overlook the sin in their lives.

I assure you that nothing could be further from the truth.

It breaks my heart to see that people who profess no faith at all can see so clearly the difference between Jesus and those who claim His name, while so many in the church cannot. Sad that supposed sinners see things more with God's eyes than those who think they are His children.

But it is just as it was in the days of Jesus. Tax collectors, prostitutes, and other "undesireables" instantly recognized Jesus and followed Him. The pharisees claimed that they were already fine because they were "Abraham's seed." It appears that in 2,000 years the human heart has not changed one bit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well, I'll be sure not to introduce you to any of my tramps then, I'd hate to tempt you.

I don't like you.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You see, Non-Believers don't have any formal regulations upon themselves as a group. Now, one NB may have a certain set of ethnics, but that is known to himself or to those that he has professed this set of morals and principles to. Therefore, no one has any expectations of him or measures him by some generally known standard.

So the Buddist don't have the eight way path which they profess and oath to together in services? There aren't precipts that we also agree upon, with well know sets for the lay people, the temporary monks, and the monks?

Silly me.

But there aren't very many people who know all of that stuff about the Buddist concept of faith. I will readily admit that I know precisely ZIP about how to define a "good" Buddist or a bad one.

But I do know a thing or two about Christianity. What I find is that people, even people who are IN CHURCHES, don't know how to really measure a true Christian. They have a bunch of stories and half truths and ideas, (some of which are true, many that arent...) that they use without knowing what they are truly saying.

They are trying to measure something without even knowing how to read the ruler.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Man, is it ever going to be empty. Hope I get a place on a populated street.

That reminds me of that southpark movie (which I hated) where the kid goes to heaven, and there is only like 27,000 souls there. He's rejected, and goes to hell, where the Population counter is spinning so fast you can't count it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am afraid I don't follow your objection to my post. Please explain.

come on..  "children of the Most High".  I hear that and the first thing that comes to mind is  "gee, it wont be too long before they have  a 'meeting' and drink 'kool-aid' "
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#31]
religion is like politics.. you just have to know when to call
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
If both people believe in their heart of hearts that they are doing nothing wrong having sex, then I don't think they are sinning.

When you advance to the next level and examine your Christianity through Jesus and not your preacher and "The Book", you will get a whole new perspective on sinning.

For most people, they need the 10 commandments, but once you achieve a certain level of spirituality, the truth will come from within.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Some people don't take God as seriously as others...

God gives them the choice, and they will answer to Him for the choices they make...

I, personally, take the 'no sex' rule very seriously... Yes, it is possible to tell your body 'NO'...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Ummm.....

Sad but true this is all a matter of belief and opinion that no one can back up with any logic - but that's religion for ya -
What makes you think you're married?
Do you think just because you  have a marriage ceremony you are good to go?
Exactly which religions do you think God sanctions and which ones don't make the cut? Is an animist ceremony OK? Is a non-denominational ceremony good enough?
How about if you get a marriage license and don't have a ceremony besides a JP saying OK you're married?
What if you have a religious ceremony without a license? Does God only recognize governmentally sanctioned marriges? Which governments are OK with God?
Is a North Korean marriage license OK?
What if you have sex with someone, fully intending to get married in the future, and you do - were your previous sexual encounters sinful?

I think it goes like this - technically speaking
Biblically you are married to any woman you have sex with, unless she has had sex with someone before you, in which case you are both guilty of adultery. As a man you can have as many wives as you want...but a woman can have only one husband unless she is a widow. The bible is sadly not politically correct, which means:
Marriage would appear to me to be an agreement between two people that they are married.
As far as the government is concerned, marriage is a political classification - you pay more taxes, less for insurance, your spouse's income is considered for government loan repayment rates, etc...

If you have sex with someone you don't think you're married to then it's a sin - just the same as if you do anything you think is a sin.
Put another way - Do you know the difference between right and wrong?
Do you live your life according to those beliefs?

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Jesus saves!
Passes to Moses...
Shoots!
Scores!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Going to church every sunday makes you a christian like going to the zoo every friday makes you a lemur.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
ETH,

You sound like Kerry last night in the debate trying in vain to justify government funded abortion.

Sure God will forgive you, does that make it right, absolutely not.

Faith is what pleases God and anything not of faith is sin.

Trust God to bring the right woman to you without trying her out first.

AMEN!!!

ETH says I'm going to Hell cuz I'm not baptised so I'm not saved. Yet he say's he can test the plumbing and still be saved just because he's baptized?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#39]
This is the explanation offered by a "player "where I used to work.  "Since I am born again and God knows everything that I will do and has seen to it that I will do as He asks it is OK for me to do as I wish!"  I would gag when he would talk about how wonderful his wife was.   Strange man!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Well we have an early CHristian group called hte Lukites, they followed the Secret Gospel of Luke. They were monagamous but practiced extramartial sex.  Actually that was the way the Celts lived.
So it all comes down to who's interpetation you go by.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#44]

How can you be a Christian and have sex outside of marriage?

They simply disobey what they know to be true.  There are consequences to that behavior.  The offender simply denies it at the time just like any criminal.  "I wont get caught!"

Being "saved" is just that, to rescue from harm, danger, or loss.  No one is saved at this time because you cant be saved from something thats going to happen in the future.  You can only take precautions to aviod that disaster, and there has been 2K years with plenty of warning and ways given to avoid  eternal death.  

By ERIC:
....if you die in the uniform of a servant of Satan.

Could you elaborate?  This varies with most people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If both people believe in their heart of hearts that they are doing nothing wrong having sex(Cheating?), then I don't think they are sinning.

Whoa!!!  You mean "if it feels good do it?"  God is the only one who decides what sin is.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Starting in my teenage years, I desperately wanted to experience sexual relations with God's greatest creation, but I didn't want to disobey what is a clear commandment of God. It wasn't easy, and there were times that I thought I was crazy for not following through on those desires, but I did marry as a virgin, at 29 no less.

Am I perfect? Nope. I've sinned plenty. I suspect the difference is that I try NOT to sin rather than simply accepting sin and attempting to justify it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#50]
If I become a Christian will I get laid?

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top