Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 3:26:40 PM EDT
Read this article:
[url]http://sierratimes.com/archive/files/jun/06/gedcc060601.htm[/url]

I especially liked this part:

Traffic deaths that were alcohol related in 1998 15,935 (www.madd.org) Murders by guns in the US for 1998 9,143 (1998 Uniform Crime Report.) You read the number right, alcohol killed nearly 7,000 more people in the United States then all the gun-toting murderers. What about the cost to society, and I'm referring to dollars. Alcohol-related crashes cost society $45 billion, yet this conservative estimate does not include pain, suffering and lost quality of life. These indirect costs raise the alcohol-related crash figure to a staggering $116 billion in 1993. (Miller et al, 1996b) Firearms injury costs upwards of $4.0 billion annually, with $19.0 billion in additional indirect costs, such as lost potential earnings. (American College of Physicians, 1998) Alcohol related injuries cost 10 fold more than gun related injuries. Alcohol kills thousands of people every year, and costs billions, but where is the public uproar, where is the media coverage, why is it not a political tool used to gain election
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Alcolhol does not protect individual freedom and therefore is of no importance to the freedom grabbers.  As long as the masses have their beer they will not notice their freedom slipping away!
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, let's ban alcohol. Al Capone's great grand children are getting tired of selling rock. they're looking for new markets.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Spice it up.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1391821&a=10390080&p=49955690[/img].
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I`ve said it for a long time, if dwi`s are a problem, then eliminate all cars!!!![frag]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, don't give those fucking commie liberals any ideas.

They'll ban anything they can that might infringe on idividual rights.

They ought to ban milk. Seems that everyone who ever has drank milk has died. The evidence seems overwhelming to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
And lets not forget drownings. I believe more people drown every year, than are killed with guns. We really don't need to swim. BAN POOLS NOW. Do it for the children. And hey, anyone that comes too close to the shoreline, of any river, lake, or ocean should face arrest and imprisonment.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we should sue the car maker,if a drunk driver kils aomeone while driving their vehicle. It is after all, their fault...Especially if the transmission is an automatic.
We should sue the match company that made the matches used in arson fires.
And we should sue the manufacturer of the skin tight underwear the sexual assault victim wore. If it wasn't for them, she wouldn't have been victimized.
I think a person that smokes three packs a day, for 35 years, earns the right to sue Phillip Morris after being diagnosed with lung cancer
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think we should sue the car maker,if a drunk driver kils aomeone while driving their vehicle. It is after all, their fault...Especially if the transmission is an automatic.
We should sue the match company that made the matches used in arson fires.
And we should sue the manufacturer of the skin tight underwear the sexual assault victim wore. If it wasn't for them, she wouldn't have been victimized.
I think a person that smokes three packs a day, for 35 years, earns the right to sue Phillip Morris after being diagnosed with lung cancer
View Quote
                                           That`s it! SUE EM`-SUE EM`...actually, let`s get some lawyers and sue GOD....it`s HIS fault we`re here!!!!!!(now, if we only knew how to get ahold of HIM).......[uzi]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Sure!  Ban Alcohol.  Maybe we'd have a few less idiots around on the streets.  

While we're at it, ban cigarettes.  One of the leading causes of death in our country.  And they stink too.  And what about their carbon dioxide emissions?  The environmentalists should be all over that!

Truth is, you'll never see a real push from the left to ban these things, because too many of them like to get tanked on the weekends and like the 'buzz' they get from cigarettes.

But, they have to be harping on something, and since fewer liberals own guns, banning them is their platform.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Once THEY succeed in banning firearms, there is nothing left to stop THEM from banning anything else THEY have a mind to ban.

[b]It's the firearms, stupid![/b] should be our motto![>]:)]

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah...them guys!!!  we can`t ban cigaretts, then the lawyers would be out of a job!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Ban stupidity.

Don't worry 'bout them banning booze.

Ted Kennedy and the Kennedy family stand to lose money if ever they did that.

And for that reason alone, it will NEVER happen.

Besides, Teddy is obviously the town drunk, and such a ban would cut into his "lifestyle."
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, a jury just awarded a smoker $3 billion.  All we gotta do is smoke and sue!!!

banning stupididty would cripple our government!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#15]
We tried to outlaw alcohol once. It led to a lot of crime and a ban on machine guns.

We're trying to ban marijuana. It just drives up the price.

Current "prohibition" on drugs just leads to a lot of profiteering in the ghetto, and a lot of drug related crime. The "drive by shooting" is a product of the "war on drugs."

Trying to ban "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines. Just drives up the price.

Back in 1776 they tried to ban freedom. We kicked butt over that one.

Molon labe

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey does anyone remenber the movie Escape from L.A.?  I know...It's fiction and fantasy, but they outlawed everything from guns, to cigarettes, to red meat.  All for the "good of the people".  PROTECT THEM FROM THEMSELVES!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top