Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny, this just came up the other day.  I'm taking a buddy out for his first time hunting this year and he asked me if he had to drink the blood.  I said "Drink the blood?  Shit.  We eat hearts out here."  and went on to give him an in depth description of how he needed to immediately cut the heart out of the deer and take a great big bite out of it.  I bet he'd actually do it if I kept it up.

I just got the blood smeared on the face.  I did get my shirttail cut off after going my first two seasons with no deer.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Red Dawn

Just trying out the free image hosting services from www.imageshack.us works pretty good...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
After I kill a deer it get strapped to my car taken home and gutted, I don't even bother to ask it it's thoughts on hunting before I shoot it. OF course I don't really like hunting all that much, and mainly go because deer is way cheaper than Beef.

I leave THOSE goodies in the woods for the bugs and buzzards.

I have never seen any one drink any blood yet.
(even though someone ALWAYS dares the new guys to do it)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad there's no AIDS/HIV epidemic in deer...yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
First deer I got back in January they did the blood smear on me.  I'm ok or so I hope!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Drinking the blood of a dead deer. Can anybody say LIME DISEASE? I knew you could. Urban legend. Drink this stuff and become a new host for ALL KINDS OF PARISITES! Yeah, that sounds like a good idea! STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES, RIGHT FOREST? Unbelievable.......
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Red Dawn

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
someplaces its culture...and a historic thing..a right a passage, if you will.
i got my face bloodied at the age of five..
the blood of a spike..taken with a .22 to the base of the neck at 15 yards. DRT'd
ohh, i till remember the tears my mom cried when my dad brought me home to show off the dear..and not only did my dear mother know that her firstborn was from then on there a killer...but also she siad seeing me with dried blood on my face sent her into panic..

of course..i was also taught to kill crippled ducks with a crushing bite to the head..
imagine the dismay of coworkers or other students (BITD) who went duck hunting with me.

for the record...
CWD is not transmitted by blood..and in 12 years of the medical laboratory, i havent seen or heard of 1(ONE) 100% positive case of animal TO man transmittance.
if you hear anyone tell you different, you cry bullshit and ask for data..

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
damn this is some barbaric stuff, eating the placenta and drinking the blood...gross.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If that doesn't scare you, there's always CJD, which is mistaken for Chronic Wasting Disease transmission.  This is basically the result of cumulative acquiring of the "mad cow disease" prion usually by eating brain or spinal matter of infected primarily domestic animals.  Though similar to mad cow disease/CJD, there have been no documented cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (primarily deer species) being transmitted to humans (which is a good thing).

Hopefully this helped.

snf

According to the experts you cannot get CJD from blood because you must ingest the prions to get it, and those are not found in the blood stream.  If Chronic Wasting Disease is the deer cousin to CJD, then it's likely drinking the blood won't cause it.

As for the other things, those are very real concerns.  Trichnosis isn't anything to mess with, though the most common way to get it is by eating improperly cooked pork.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Speaking of which, are any of you that had to drink the blood Christians?  There's only one instance in the Bible where drinking blood is allowed, and that's Communion.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hunters often honor the animal they have harvested.                                                            They sometimes smear its blood on the face of a newly
initiated hunter. My friends and I honor our harvested game by offering it
a sprig of food and praying a thoughtful prayer that it's death will nourish
us. To each his own.

That is what I've always heard around here in my 45 years.

Danny

Sorry never heard of that.  Honestly, it sounds pretty stupid.

I usually just say a prayer and ask a blessing upon my soon to be processed food.  To heach his own.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top