Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad idea to wear ANY jewelry in my line of work (Elec tech inclulding some hot work).
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I work with electronics and also do alot of manual labor. Metal is not cool with electricity. That and it can scratch my guns.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Never have and never will.  I saw a guy lose finger in the Army and another who almost lost if when he busted his ring finger and it swelled so fast he couldn't remove it.  The ring had to be cut IIRC with bolt cutters by the medics.

Never wore them in EOD niether and I don't recall any Techs in my unit who wore them except for the Unit Clerk.  I like my 10 fingers and plan on keeping them intact.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Ring stays on my finger all of the time.  Sure, it's just a symbol of my marriage, but that is one symbol I want the world to know about.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
interesting results.  Almost split.

I'm curious.  Did your mother and father wear theirs?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Have never taken it off in all of the 18 yrs since we got married......................
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My mom wore hers and my father doesn't. My G-father was a flirt and so is my father. I swore that I would change things. My wife and I are faithful and both wear our wedding rings 24/7.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
not much on wearing any rings and I can't keep a watch for long before it breaks, so I wear nothing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Mrs sleepdr usually wears hers, occasionally reminds me to get mine when we're "going out" b/c I usually don't wear it.

During a workday day for me - gloves on, gloves off. Ring on, ring off for hand scrub, ring back on.  Blood all over hands, stuck in grooves in ring, try to clean ring.  Many of us don't wear rings, or sometimes attach them to ID badges, watches, or around neck.

I've seen enough lost fingers that I will not wear mine when doing anything hazardous, or at least wear a thinner gold band that can be cut off.  My "go to meeting" ring is 2 superimposed bands of platinum that would be all but impossible to cut off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My husband does not wear a wedding ring for the fact that he fixes computers for a living. I don't wear one most of the time,since I have incidents where it almost took my finger off. I do wear one in social situations,I have been married 20 years and it does not bother either one of us,and neither would stray.

His is the stupidest excuse I have ever heard.

Not stupid just handy somebody who does not know any better might believe a ring could damage a computer…

There is no reason to remove rings when working on computers.  

Really? Do you know exactly what his job is? What about if he works on computers in an ESD safe environment (such as a clean lab) that requires him to not wear jewelry? I dont work in a clean lab, but my company prohibits me from wearing jewelry while working in their facility. GASP.......sometimes I even work on ...........COMPUTERS.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One of my closest friends simply doesn't believe in the conventional thought on wedding rings.  He has a wedding band tattooed on his ring finger.  

I don't really like tattoos, but that's a damn good idea.  Then there is no excuse not to have it on.  

I'm with norman74 on this one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Have ring and don't wear because of occupation (mechanic/welder/automotive electrician). Wife understands completely.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My husband lost a lot of weight, so his wedding band no longer fits.  I thought about another band for him, but I opted instead for the Sig EL220ST.  Why would he stray?

Oh yeah, I am one of those so-called "FUBAR" women who didn't change her name, so he must be unhappy.  BTW, he doesn't sit to pee.  

It's the top one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Been married for fifteen years and I've only worn the ring maybe six months. Working with electronics, and having the ring always digging into me, I chose not to ware it any more. My wife trust me and I hear so it is a none issue for both of us.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have gone for periods of not wearing it, one was after getting it hung in a cableway and partially degloving my ring finger.  It  'aint about love sometimes; sometimes it is just pain.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Mother did, father did not.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been married 15 years and only wear my ring for formal occasions. My wife wears hers all the time.  

It's never really been an issue with either one of us.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#18]
how about a poll choice for "too many guns in the house for any woman to consider marrying me"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't wear mine, she wears hers.

She jokes yhat I find a .45 on my hip is more comfortable than a ring on my finger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
After almost losing my finger in the motor pool in 1982, I haven't worn rings or any other jewelry.  A Timex Ironman watch and my dogtags are the only things I wear.

wganz

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One of my closest friends simply doesn't believe in the conventional thought on wedding rings.  He has a wedding band tattooed on his ring finger.  

I don't really like tattoos, but that's a damn good idea.  Then there is no excuse not to have it on.  

I'm with norman74 on this one.

this might be a trend... I play b-ball with a guy who has a tattooed on wedding band...man is it ugly tho... it looks like his kids drew it on in pen

eta: on an unrelated subject, I just had a serious episode of deja vu reading this thread...strange
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
job does not allow it... it is always with me on a 'biener on my pack.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Rings? We put a downpayment on a second home in the mountains, instead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I wore it for a few years when we were first married. Too many times I left it places by accident. Especially in restrooms when I took it off to wash my hands. Can't stand the waterlogged white ring underneath it. Finally came to grips with it and realized I'm just not a jewelry kind of guy. No watch, no necklace, rings, etc. I probably couldn't get in trouble even if I tried so it's not that big of a deal. She wears hers and I don't force her to. That's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nope.  My mother and father were never married.  I'm rebelling by doing all the things they didn't do.  

I'm not a jewelry person either, but I wear mine every day of my life, except for when I dropped 40lbs and it slipped off in the garage on night.  I had to find it and put some tape around it to keep it from coming off.  The only time I take it off now is when I cook.  Edited to add that my ring is huge, and I'm looking to get a bigger one when I buy my wife her new ring for our 10 year anniversiary.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, I am one of those so-called "FUBAR" women who didn't change her name, so he must be unhappy.

I've always wondered why some women do this.  Call me old fashioned, I guess.  Even when my mom and dad didn't get married formally, she took his last name.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I wrench so, no ring. The wife wears hers. Wives who DON'T wear theirs in a bar, are looking to flirt, or stray. Why else would a woman, i.e. married, Not wear their wedding ring?

AB
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, I am one of those so-called "FUBAR" women who didn't change her name, so he must be unhappy.

I've always wondered why some women do this.  Call me old fashioned, I guess.  Even when my mom and dad didn't get married formally, she took his last name.

You're a Texan...born and raised or imported? I ask since, last I knew, common law marriage was still the law in TX... changing of mom's last name to dad's would be enough to do the trick so... maybe they were married?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#29]
It's just too dangerous at work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't like wearing any jewerly, rings, watches, etc.  I'll wear  my wedding ring if we are going to a social function but that's about it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
how about a poll choice for "too many guns in the house for any woman to consider marrying me"

You're assuming that all women don't like guns.  My wife (9x19) has many more guns that me, even though I'm the bigger gunnut.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I wish all married women would wear their ring.  I can count the number of hours I have wasted chatting up ladies only to find out they are married.  It is really hard to start a conversation with the question, "So, are you married?".
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Divorced now, but wore mine for 17 years. Except when at work. Degloving is a real nasty injury.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
we don't wear ours either. rings bug the shit out of me and i can't wear them at work anyway. Mona is allergic to metal jewelry so she doesn't either. I trust her, she trusts me. That is all that matters.

+1  15 years and counting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Proud to wear mine. I do take it off to work on the car though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I put my hands into to many voltage/current related things.  Got zapped w/ 7.5 KV from a dispaly console CRT in the Navy and have never worn it since.  It's the current that will get/kill you-One hand rule.
My wedding band is in my right pocket.  My wife knows that.  If anything ever happens to me she knows where to find it. Shes OK w/ that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
We've got 'em but don't wear 'em. Its just some religous symbolism to some and proof of ownership to others. We don't subscribe to either theory.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Ironic that you ask as I took off my diamond ring today but left on my wedding band. Sometimes I just want a simple ring, that way when I pull my diamond ring back out, it'll feel like new. Nice for a change.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Divorced and wore it a little less than half the time.  Between work, and playing drums, and working around the house, it was getting all nicked up and out of round within the first year!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#40]
For anybody who doesn't understand the safety issues:

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#41]
#1 Thats a Right Hand. #2 Thats a Middle Finger.
Just the same all a good reason not to wear it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/WeddingRing.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH !!

I really don't want to wear rings - I don't like it, and it gives me a horrible feeling that I won't be able to get it off.  I didn't even like wearing dog tags in the army, because I worried that it oculd get caught on something.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Plus, if I wore one (after I get married), I just KNOW the Mustang from hell would grab it, and suck me into the carburetor or something
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#44]
my wife and i work in the lab of a large trauma center.

rings not only are a hazard to puncturing any gloves we are wearing, but also since we wash (scrub)our hands constantly rings tend to dig in and irritate our hands.

my wife wears hers away from work..

i'm training dogs or something else when i'm away from work...so i dont wear one unless its a social deal.

i've had 1 bad experience in dog training wearing a ring...and it damn near got my finger ripped off..

not again...

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Been married 2 years and wear it all the time.  The only time I may take it off is when in the field in the USAF.  If I were ever at risk of being captured (flight ops), I would not wear it.  I'm really not concerned with damaging it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/WeddingRing.jpg

LOL!

When I was in the USAF one of the more prominent safety posters was of a detached finger with about 4-5 inches of tendon hanging off. As they say, "One picture is worth..."!

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#47]
The hubby and I wear our wedding rings b/c it shows the fride of our marriage to each other.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Neither of us wear our rings. She has the early stages of arthritis and it was causing her some pain. Me, I just stopped wearing it. My finger size kept going up and down and it would either be sliding off or stuck on too tight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I have never been a jewelry person of any type.  Hell I don't care for a wrist watch either.  I work with my hands.  Maintenance people don't like the increased chances of electrical shock and ripped off fingers.  Wife is cool with it....she wears hers all the time.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I wrench so, no ring. The wife wears hers. Wives who DON'T wear theirs in a bar, are looking to flirt, or stray. Why else would a woman, i.e. married, Not wear their wedding ring?

AB

Actually not true. When I worked, I did not wear my rings at work, many nights I would forget to put them back on, some nights I would just not do it because they would have to come back off the next morning. And yes I have been to many bars with and without my rings, I never flirted or strayed... The ring on the finger isn't going to mean shit if you want to stray. Ask my ex, he was real good at straying.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top