Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If the story is true -

Why would a Forest Service agent who appears to be a shooting hobbiest herself be so ignorant of California laws at the same time she was able to quote them?

Also, don't people hunt on this land?  Reacting in that manner to people with weapons seems a but odd for someone used to interracting with armed people.

Anyway, I can see why some people would call BS.  I have never been on that side of the Rockies except Seattle, Ft. Lewis, and the west side of New Mexico - so I have no idea.

Assuming it is true - maybe becuase the thought it was full-auto she was hearing (the bump-firing) and while someone may be knowledgable about semi-auto laws, they may not know anything about Class 3, dealer samples, etc - and might think all full-auto is illegal.

Who knows?  Maybe she was some mall-ninja wannabe, hoping to "catch" some gangbangers will illegal full-autos and heroically arrest them or something?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The Forest Rangers I've seen can arrest you.

Of course seeing a black evil gun can make them freak too.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh, I have zero doubt that this really happened. I used to train Forest Service LEOs and there is a world of difference between some of the guys and gals with common sense and the others. The "bunny huggers" have taken over Calif. and a few other states...sad, but true. They will hire anybody with paper qualifications regardless of "common sense" or not. This sort of shit used to be confined to Park Rangers...especially part-time Parkies...but unfortunately, no longer.

Don't get soured on all USFS LEOs because of this incident...many are really fine officers and more than willing to work with you rather than against you! You had a bad experience and for that I am sorry, but that will not be the case with all these guys!

I just thought of something: Am I incorrectly referring to her as a Forest Ranger? Her vehicle had the lights, said "Law Enforcement" on the front, and she had a gun. Her partner (that's what she called him) was in a different vehicle, had no LEO type markings, and I can't recall if he had a gun or not.

I don't hold anything against USFS LEOs, or any other officer for that matter. I thought about complaining about her, but it's been a few months now and I've calmed down considerably. It all turned out fine. It wust just a little scary, that's all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes USFS rangers ARE cops.  They go to the same Federal LE academy as the border patrol etc.  How do I know this?  I was told by this Nazi Ranger that hassled me and my friends.  If they sport a white SUV with light bar, then you're lookin at federal LE.

While a couple aspects of this story are questionable (ranger carrying a 1911, yet still being dumb enough to have finger on the trigger, hell just ranger carrying a 1911), I have no doubt that this could have happened.

I had two bad encounters with USFS Rangers (my ONLY two encounters).  One time was when shooting, the other was not.  Both were basket cases.

The time that I was shooting, we were approached by this Nazi Ranger chick.  Why do I say Nazi?  I say that because the only thing she cared about was our guns.  No mention of safety or trash or the fact that we were picking up our trash AND THAT OF OTHER PEOPLE when she came up.  I shit you not, the first words out of her mouth after the usual "how's it goin" was "what kinda guns you guys got?"

I only hope that USFS rangers are not like this outside of CA, cause I'm hoping I'll leave it behind!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Forest Rangers I've seen can arrest you.

Of course seeing a black evil gun can make them freak too.

CRC

Well I was talking about "Park Rangers".

Yes they have certain federal type powers inside a National Park.

This was back in the day(I grew up in a National Park in a way),but when there was ever any serious trouble requiring "cops" it was always outside local law enforcment that would come in and handle it.

Before I moved outta the area they were starting to allow certain Park Rangers to openly carry sidearms,and many people around the area saw it as kind of absurd,since these guys were moslty enforcing traffic and camping,tresspassing,camp fire type of situations involving tourists.

This was near 20 years ago now.

Just FYI

I'm talking about a National Park with a Hotel and visitors center type a stuff,no hunting or firearms allowed in this type a place.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You should call her and tell her that you saw a bunch of guys in camoflage spraying automatic weapons fire around the mount ST helen's area, and that she should go investigate...

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Most land in the west is either forest service or bureau of land managment. For the most part the forest service has the, well, forested part, and the BLM has the "range" stuff with grazing, sagebrush, desert, etc. There are a ton of exceptions to the rule, though.  Most of the feds in the 4WDs are armed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh come on thats BS.

No shit
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just thought of something: Am I incorrectly referring to her as a Forest Ranger? Her vehicle had the lights, said "Law Enforcement" on the front, and she had a gun.

Same question here.  Said "Law Enforcement" as well as had the "US" forest service logo on the door.

One time a FS guy stopped by for a quick chit-chat (he was in a typical green beater truck).  I can't really remember if he had a gun or not (probably cause this guy was cool, and it was a non-event) but seem to think he did.  Are there possibly different classes of gun-carrying FS personell?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...In LA & San Bernardino Forest areas there is a Wilderness pass (parking permit) that they sometimes roll by to see if you have on your rear view mirrors.

you must be kidding???

you have to have a permit to friggin' PARK on NATIONAL FOREST land.  what the hell kind of bull shit is that?

what next? oxygen consumpion tax for the air you breath?

Kalifornia sux.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
You should have stuck her in the pooper, and posted some pics.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You should have stuck her in the pooper, and posted some pics. hr

Somebody had to say it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, as long as the law enforcement officers went home that night, everything's fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just want to let others know of my experiences. I don't want all to think this is normal for California....

I've been shooting at many California US Forest & BLM areas for 15+ years. Have never had anything like this remotely like this happen.

The Ranger & BLM stations have always been very helpful and nice to me.

Same for me up in Inyo and Mono County.  They just want you to be safe and clean up.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...In LA & San Bernardino Forest areas there is a Wilderness pass (parking permit) that they sometimes roll by to see if you have on your rear view mirrors.

you must be kidding???

you have to have a permit to friggin' PARK on NATIONAL FOREST land.  what the hell kind of bull shit is that?

what next? oxygen consumpion tax for the air you breath?

Kalifornia sux.

Yes, Congress under Clinton started this program about ten years ago. It was supposed to be a pilot program to see if it would work, so naturally they apply it to one of the states where people bend over easiest. Hopefully they will not make it national.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]
While there is no real "standard" sidearm for USFS LEOs, there are several .40 caliber autopistols that are approved. I also have friends who carry Glock 19 and 17's as well. It is not beyond question that she had a 1911, but my guess is she did not...SAs are not usually allowed. I know personally many USFS LEOs who would apologize to you for her behavior...mostly, they are good "guys'...even the females. They have a shitty job, sometimes, and do very well with it under most circumstances...this was the bitch from HELL!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
in 9 years of target shooting in the California backcountry i have encountered two "park Rangers"

The first was a BLM Agent

Is that a game warden?

No. A BLM agent is a sworn Federal LE agent, they have more in common with BATF, FBI or Secret Serice than state game wardens.  They attend the Fed LE training center (FLETC) academy like all federal agents.  after graduation they are assigned to uniformed patrol on federal land.

IIRC the Park rangers at Lake Perris that someone referred to are not USDA Forest service "Rangers". they are State Parks and Recreation Rangers. State of California LE officers, like the CHIPs or CAL-DOJ.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
While there is no real "standard" sidearm for USFS LEOs, there are several .40 caliber autopistols that are approved. I also have friends who carry Glock 19 and 17's as well. It is not beyond question that she had a 1911, but my guess is she did not...SAs are not usually allowed. I know personally many USFS LEOs who would apologize to you for her behavior...mostly, they are good "guys'...even the females. They have a shitty job, sometimes, and do very well with it under most circumstances...this was the bitch from HELL!

They wouldn't need to apologize, I know she's a special case.

There's been so much doubt cast on whether or not she had a 1911, that I'm starting to wonder if I identified it wrong myself. I sure as hell know one when I see one, or at least I thought I did. I'd bet money on it, but hell...I dunno. I know what I saw.

Maybe I need to call her and ask "Hi? Remember me? Was that a 1911 you had leveled at my head? Oh? It was a Glock? Oh, cool. I don't mind having one of those pointed at me. Carry on."

Heh. I'm kicking around the idea of taking her up on her offer to call her with questions on safe places to shoot. Perhaps at some point during the conversation, I can ask her what the hell she was thinking. I was so damn polite to her the whole time, despite her actions.

Eh, screw it. If it happens again (and I'm fairly certain it won't), I'll complain.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, I have zero doubt that this really happened. I used to train Forest Service LEOs and there is a world of difference between some of the guys and gals with common sense and the others. The "bunny huggers" have taken over Calif. and a few other states...sad, but true. They will hire anybody with paper qualifications regardless of "common sense" or not. This sort of shit used to be confined to Park Rangers...especially part-time Parkies...but unfortunately, no longer.

Don't get soured on all USFS LEOs because of this incident...many are really fine officers and more than willing to work with you rather than against you! You had a bad experience and for that I am sorry, but that will not be the case with all these guys!

I just thought of something: Am I incorrectly referring to her as a Forest Ranger?

Possibly.  People use the term pretty freely, to include everything from part time summer help to sworn federal LE agents. thats why I'm trying to establish exactly which agency she worked for. County, state or fed, sworn or unsworn, ect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I go camping pretty often here in Tennessee and most rangers I talk to have pretty much the same authority as policemen do. It would make sense since they are out in the middle of nowhwere with the nearest police dept 30 or so miles from them. Luckily they all pretty much know me by name and I always check in with them first to let them know of what I'm gonna do. Ofcourse this is Tennessee and a different place than California. My 2 cents. Take care.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
While there is no real "standard" sidearm for USFS LEOs, there are several .40 caliber autopistols that are approved...

I thought FLETC was issueing Glocks & Sigs in 40SW or .357sig for nearly 10years now.  I was completely unaware that basic Federal agents were being issued .45ACPs or 1911's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I am dead set againt the use of the 1911 style of handgun in LE work with the possible exception of highly trained tactical teams.  Your story if true, is the reason why.  While others may disgaree, I believe the 1911 requires too much trigger discipline for ordinary officers.  
Gary

More so than say, a Glock?
...or a revolver?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a state DEP cop unholster his sidearm on me New Year's Day of 1995. I was leaning on my brand-new YZ250 (motocross bike for the non-riders here) taking a break from riding around in a gravel pit. I guess he figured I could jump back on my bike and either run him over (like that would make sense) or ride away (what would he do? Shoot me in the back?).

Cops sometimes do the strangest things.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Forrest Rangers aren't "cops".

And I remember many thinking it was overkill when they started allowing them to carry sidearms around here.

You should tell that one to the parents of Kris Eggle a ranger who was killed by drug smugglers in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. They have arrest powers, they enforce laws, that makes them LE.

Show a little respect, because rangers DO put thier ass on the line to make sure people who use the park systems are safe, they may not ahve to deal with a lot of the shit most city cops do but they still deserve the respect( i might add when they themselves are not being idiots, don't give respect don't get it.).
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#27]
JBT she sure showed you who was boss.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Post a scan of the damn warning. Put up or shut up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Christ, this event is still in question?
My scanner isn't working - will you guys accept a picture of it taken with my digital camera?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My scanner isn't working - will you guys accept a picture of it taken with my digital camera?

Abosultely, provided it provides details.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Abosultely, provided it provides details.

Sigh, alright. Sit tight.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I love how the cops here call BS automatically.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh, and please post a picture so that they can eat crow.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#34]
OK, a few items have been blurred out (I love GIMP 2.0) for obvious reasons.

Anything else?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]
That's pretty solid evidence. Wonder how the Blue Wall will explain this away?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#37]
MOVE

I think I would have mentioned something about having her finger on the trigger and pointing a gun at you.......
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I think I remember seeing an outdoor magazine with some crow receipes in it, I will look around and try to find them for you guys.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I think I would have mentioned something about having her finger on the trigger and pointing a gun at you.......

Especially a 1911.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Especially a 1911.

Yeah, though she prolly had the thumb safety on!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#42]
This:

Quoted:
Yeah you need to file a complaint with her CO. First you weren't in violation. Second her behavior was unwarranted.

Plus this:

While it's quite possible that her boss may not give a crap about you getting hassled for no good reason, but he or she will surely care about her competence!  Walking down unsure footing with an unholstered sidearm, AND with the finger on the trigger shows that she's a few cards short of a full deck in the tactics and safety depts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Talk to her Agency and see if you can get her enrolled in some remedial classes.

Edit: She was four pounds from a dead guy, a big civil suit, and probably a manslaughter rap. her superiors ought to be interested.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#44]
What I want to know is, why the cops have to "check out" a legal activity at all.  Maybe they should just go around on the street checking everyone out just to make sure you aren't breaking any laws.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Dude, remove some more of your info from the warning.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yeah, too easy to find you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yeah you need to file a complaint with her CO. First you weren't in violation. Second her behavior was unwarranted.

I thought about it when it happened (check the date on the warning, it's been a while) but have since decided to drop it. Like I said earlier, everthing worked out fine and nobody got shot.

It now occurs to me that some of you are either police officers, know some officers, or really love cops. I want to make it perfectly clear that it was not my intent to paint LEO's with a wide brush. My beef was with her and only her.

One of my favorite customers (I'm a Network Engineer) is the City of Modesto Police Department. I bullshit with the guys reguarly. They're all good guys. As with any large group, you're bound to find an asshole now and again. LEO's are no different. This is the ONLY time in my life that I've ever had anything negative to say about law enforcement.

I'm not justifying what she did. Having said that, I've been offered some explanations as to why she MIGHT have behaved he way she did. Some guys at the PD suggested it was the FA sounding fire. Others put forth the notion that she might have believed we were poachers (don't most of them use .22's?).

Whatever the reason, she was visibly shaken. Hell, alot of people might have been in her shoes. She really had NO idea what was going on. She couldn't even initially see us while we were shooting.  She saw nothing, and heard alot of gunfire. She was scared. My major complaints were:

a) Having her finger on the trigger the entire time.
b) Not holstering her weapon while I was being searched.

These were two no-no's. The rest of my story was just a bunch of background information to make for nice Sunday night reading. All I tried to do was make her feel as safe as possible, so that she wouldn't clench and shoot my ass. I wouldn't dare put her on the same level as my other buddies at the PD, and at the same time I wouldn't ever think of damning the entire law enforcement community  for the actions of one.

One goofball does not a majority make.

I guess what I really wanted to know was, what some of you guys would have done in the same situation? I wanted to know if I handled it well. I never dreamed that I would have to sit here and prove that it actually happened.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, too easy to find you.

Bleh, if people want to find me that bad, they can knock themselves out. I mean, crap: It's hosted on alan.strawinski.net. Do the math, it's not exactly a common name.

I also didn't want to be accused of hiding aything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#50]
LOL since they haven't been able to discredit your story yet, I wonder how many of the blue line regulars here have already run you through NCIC to attempt to find another way to discredit you............
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top