User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The '05 Stang is just gawd-awful ugly though.......      

www.modernracer.com/images/fordmustanggt2005front1.jpg

I gotta go with fight, I think the car is pretty fugly myself.

The front end actually looks pretty good, but from the driver door back,,,ewwwww

I gotta say its pretty fugly too, Somthing is wrong when the only new ideas comming out of deerborn are rehashed  old ones. RETRO SUCKS.  

btw i own a mustang.
img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/763090/stang-3.JPG

Now THAT is an ugly car!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Blackout the outher light bezels, add a billet grill and you've got one smokin hot ride! I wonder what the new Saleens are going to look like?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No offense to anyone witha current body mustang, but I think the current body is butt ugly. The new one is a HUGE improvement IMO. Retro my not always be a good thing, but in this case the retro stangs look WAY better than the new ones.

I'm not a Ford guy either, but it seems Ford has been doing things right lately.

I will agree wholeheartedly with you!  I live in an apartment complex that has a lot of kids in college and they want a "sports car" because they are no longer under mommy's roof and boom, mustang.  Mostly chintzy 6 cylinders with less oommph then my Maxima.  Makes me hope the college education they are getting includes some common sense about expenditure versus returns on investment.  

Personally I think the new ones are a great looking car with a grounding in the muscle car roots, not designed to be sold to ditzy redneck girls.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Edit: One thing I really like about it is how the front wheels are pushed forward towards the front bumper. One thing I could NEVER stand about a lot of the american sports cars is all the crap they had hanging off in front of the front wheels. Just look at any F-body and you'll see what I mean. Then look at how the BMW is and the wheels are much closer to the front end. It seems like Ford took this styling cue straight from BMW and I like it a lot.

I agree with you on that.

At least GM is getting it right with the Corvettes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just can't help but think of a Mustang as a 16 yr old high school girl's car.

Maybe when they stop stuffing it with mainly V6s and churning them out until they're on every street corner will I then consider it as  "badass".

+1

+2

V8 only. Keep the prestige.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No offense to anyone witha current body mustang, but I think the current body is butt ugly. The new one is a HUGE improvement IMO. Retro my not always be a good thing, but in this case the retro stangs look WAY better than the new ones.

I'm not a Ford guy either, but it seems Ford has been doing things right lately.

I will agree wholeheartedly with you!  I live in an apartment complex that has a lot of kids in college and they want a "sports car" because they are no longer under mommy's roof and boom, mustang.  Mostly chintzy 6 cylinders with less oommph then my Maxima.  Makes me hope the college education they are getting includes some common sense about expenditure versus returns on investment.  

Personally I think the new ones are a great looking car with a grounding in the muscle car roots, not designed to be sold to ditzy redneck girls.  

Big +1 on that! I can't tell you how many morons I see driving around in V6 mustangs thinking they've got the fastest car on the road! I know there are some very fast mustangs out there, but I just hate it when you've got some stupid chick in an auto V6 that thinks she can take anything.

That reminds me of a story about a kid I lived with in college. He had an Iroc-Z before we came to college, but for some moronic reason sold it for a V6 firebird. Well, he thought that because his car was a Firebird that it automatically meant it was fast. I remember at the time thinking WTF? Who in their right mind would sell a mint (according to him) Iroc-Z for a V6 Firebird? Apparently his decision had to do with looks... since i think an Iroc looks a hell of a lot better than a Firebird.

Anyway, one day I'm riding in the car with him and we're getting on the highway and he's bragging about how fast his car is. Unbelievably, it was a manual transmission and he was capable of getting it in that configuration from point A to point B. But, oh let me tell you, just because someone can get a manual from A to B doesn't mean they have a clue how to drive one. So, here we are driving at about 40mph and he's in 4th (it's a 5-speed), the tac is at about 2000rpm and there's an Acura Integra in front of him. He says the famous last words (only without the "hold my beer"), "Watch this, I'll blow right past this guy." I see him shift up into 5th gear, change lanes, and then punch the accelerator... The engine drops to about 1200rpm and is lugging along, barely accelerating until the RPM's start getting a little higher. Even when they get up there it's not accelerating all that fast.

I asked him why the hell did he up-shift to pass a car? And his response was because you can go faster in the higher gears, as he gave me one of those,"You're dumb, I'm so much smarter than you and know so much more about cars than you." looks...

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Roger that!  I used to live across the breezeway from a cute chick from Tennessee who had a white current model Mustang V-6.  

Her daddy had one of those Porsche SUVs.  Guess it runs in the family or something.  Not that Porsche SUVs are crappy, but really, I can't respect anyone who thinks that the words Porsche and SUV go together at all.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Roger that!  I used to live across the breezeway from a cute chick from Tennessee who had a white Mustang V-6.  Her daddy had one of those Porsche SUVs.  Guess it runs in the family or something.  Not that Porsche SUVs are crappy, but really, I can't respect anyone who thinks that the words Porsche and SUV go together at all.  

I drive past a guy's house every day to go to work who has a Porsche 911, Porsche SUV, BMW SUV and an H2

I'll take the 911 thank you. I'd sell the others and get a real truck, and use the extra money for guns! Lots and lots of guns...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe when they stop stuffing it with mainly V6s and churning them out until they're on every street corner will I then consider it as  "badass".

+1

+2

I concur but that's really not realistic. Ford makes most of their money on the V6's as they sell a shit ton of them to women who just want a "Mustang" w/o really knowing what one is. I call V6 'tangs "factory parts cars".
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to have a '68 a long time ago, and I definitely like the new body style.  I am not a Ford guy, and am not fond of the current style.  Somehow, the current crop of V6s has become the choice of the trailer park crowd, which does not help matters any.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Corvettes are for fA6s and senior citizens.

Right.     At least we know jealous asswipes don't own them.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta say its pretty fugly too, Somthing is wrong when the only new ideas comming out of deerborn are rehashed  old ones. RETRO SUCKS.  

btw i own a mustang.
img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/763090/stang-3.JPG

Given that you prefer the bodystyle of yours over the new one, I think you just disqualified yourself from ever making another credible statement on aesthetics ever again.  

LOL, To each their own i suppose,  I dont care for the "retro" look.  Your either old school or new school. theer' be nothing between IMO.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

I concur but that's really not realistic. Ford makes most of their money on the V6's as they sell a shit ton of them to women who just want a "Mustang" w/o really knowing what one is. I call V6 'tangs "factory parts cars".

If the V-6 cars are for chicks, does that make them POON-tangs?

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the stang, but I will be sending my 02 lightning to the boneyard for the new lightning
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit: One thing I really like about it is how the front wheels are pushed forward towards the front bumper. One thing I could NEVER stand about a lot of the american sports cars is all the crap they had hanging off in front of the front wheels. Just look at any F-body and you'll see what I mean. Then look at how the BMW is and the wheels are much closer to the front end. It seems like Ford took this styling cue straight from BMW and I like it a lot.

Its not so much a styling cue as a handling cue.  Wheels closer to the corners of the car make it more stable and handle better.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I like the stang, but I will be sending my 02 lightning to the boneyard for the new lightning

If your gonna scrap it, I'll pay you scrap weight +5%
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not so much a styling cue as a handling cue.  Wheels closer to the corners of the car make it more stable and handle better.

Yep, that too.

What I don't understand though is it seems that companies like BMW had figured this out long ago. Hell, I even figured this out just from looking at other cars that it would handle better. That's why I could never understand why the american sports cars always had so much hanging in front of the front wheels...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Love the new Mustang, but I've got the Original - with a few modifications.

Personally, I'm waiting for the 500+HP 2006 Lightning to replace the white '94 in the pic below.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/809886/stang351a.jpg

Ranger Lightning Concept...*drools*...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I hope you got a big raise between then and now.  The "old" lightning sold for around $32k, and I'll bet you that the new one will be at least $10k more than that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I like virtually everything about the new Mustang.   I saw a prototype on the road a few months back and liked it even more.  With that said, I won't be buying one.  The low price, while a great thing intellectually, means that alot more jackasses will be able to buy it, as opposed to a real performance car like the 350Z.  For some reason that price jump from $25k to $30k is a critical one in the car world.  The Mustang's affordability will be it's undoing, as every boy racer who wants one and cries loud enough to dad will be able to have one.  Because of this I'm sure there will be a shit-ton of them on the street, and a shit-ton of them getting into wrecks.

There is a way to do affordable and performance, that will still encourage exclusivity.  As it stand the new Mustang is performance for the masses, which is fine, just not for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you got a big raise between then and now.  The "old" lightning sold for around $32k, and I'll bet you that the new one will be at least $10k more than that.

I'm thinking more like 50k
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking more like 50k

The SRT10 starts at $46k with 500 hp and 525 ft/lbs.  Unless the new Lightning can meet those specs, not many people will be buying at $50k.  I know the prototype lists the 500/500 numbers, but I'm not so sure that production versions will meet that.  I honestly kind of hope that they don't.  If they do there will be a huge gap in the performance truck market between the new 2005 Toyota X-runner with 300 hp (with optional supercharger) which I would imagine will sell for around $25k and the $50k 500 hp monsters.  Maybe Chevy will hit us with a $35k 400 hp truck right in the middle.

All HP numbers aside, I'm not spending $50k on a truck unless I'm making money with it and can take advantage of the depreciation at tax time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#27]
This is what the production model should look like

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept3.jpg
www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept2.jpg

Ok, I WILL test drive one of those
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept3.jpg
www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept2.jpg

SWEEEET
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I like virtually everything about the new Mustang.   I saw a prototype on the road a few months back and liked it even more.  With that said, I won't be buying one.  The low price, while a great thing intellectually, means that alot more jackasses will be able to buy it, as opposed to a real performance car like the 350Z.  For some reason that price jump from $25k to $30k is a critical one in the car world.  The Mustang's affordability will be it's undoing, as every boy racer who wants one and cries loud enough to dad will be able to have one.  Because of this I'm sure there will be a shit-ton of them on the street, and a shit-ton of them getting into wrecks.

There is a way to do affordable and performance, that will still encourage exclusivity.  As it stand the new Mustang is performance for the masses, which is fine, just not for me.

What exactly makes the 350 a REAL performance car over the Stang besides the jump in price? The GT did 0-60 in 5.1 what does the 350 with the manual do it in?

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It was in current  MT or CD, I forget now.  They got a 0-60 time of 5.1Sec with a 1/4 of 13.6!!! With an AUTOMATIC tranny!!!! They said it was quicker and handled better than the new GTO! The are guessing the manual tranny to do it in 4.8-4.9 sec with an exp driver.  The Cobra will show again in 05 with 400+ HP.

Finally, a "cheap" factory HP car.

S.O.

Still slower than a 2000 Trans Am!!!! 2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (WS6) 4.9 13.4

Real, real great FORD... Your $27k (Estd) 'performance' car will get WAXED by a 5 year old GM product that sells for less than $20k now, and looks a whole hell of alot better!!!!!!

And as for the Cobra, stock 02 Firehawks have hit 13.1 in the 1/4 (that's without a blower)...

Come on Ford, you;'ve had FIVE WHOLE MODEL YEARS!!!! Still slow!

Oh, and will someone fire Ford's body designers....

The Mustang was bad enough in it's old Euro-4-door styling...

This one is far worse... Retro cars are like Reality TV - they were both OLD a long time ago...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1

UGLY vertical grille

UGLY round headlights

UGLY boxy profile with above grille & resulting square-nose

US performance-car styling done RIGHT:

NO vertical grille

NO visible headlights unless they're ON

Aerodynamic profile, not limited by the level of engineering knowledge available in 1969
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The 350z has a base price of $26k, about like a Mustang GT, any exclusivity it enjoys is because it's a ugly underpowered "real" performance car that not too many people want...  Unless/until the 350z gets a turbo model it's nothing to write home about as a performance car, it's just a sporty feeling/handling, underpowered, overpriced, fairly ugly (IMO of course) import...

Last numbers I saw for the 350z were around 5.5-5.6s to 60, 14.0ish in the 1/4 for the manual tranny.  Hardly remarkable...  The old 260hp Mustang GTs will give that a run for the money...  The new automatic GT beats that, manual should drop kick it....  Not to mention the beat down it would get from the last 5 years of the Camaro/Firebird...  If that's "real" performance you can keep it.  Not that the new GT is the fastest thing on the road but...

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Im with Dave_A.

I still perfer my big 4 door full framed cars for daily driving.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Eh, bad news on the new Charger, it's a 4 door and it weighs around 4000lbs.  340hp ain't enough for that hoss...  Not to mention it's pretty damn UGLY!!!  It's just a Magnum sedan basically...  

So much for that one, Chevy better not screw up the new Camaro this badly...

www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100949
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Im with Dave_A.

I still perfer my big 4 door full framed cars for daily driving.

I too will continue to drive my CV daily but an 05 PoonTang would be awful nice. I get the nostolgic feel of the 60s without the restoration/maintence hassles.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Eh, bad news on the new Charger, it's a 4 door and it weighs around 4000lbs.  340hp ain't enough for that hoss...  Not to mention it's pretty damn UGLY!!!  It's just a Magnum sedan basically...  

4 doors, ok with me, 4000 pounds is ok with me.

But damn that thing is ugly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What the hell happened to the other Charger concept from about a couple yrs ago. Looked like a baby viper, and they were going to stuff it with a Hemi.

Chrysler really needs to get their minds out of the gutter and put something worthy of their power plants into production instead of fiddle dicking around with fancy ass station wagons and trucks.

PS. Man it almost feels like the muscle car era is being resurrected with the hemi and GTO coming back, the new stang, and especially horse power on cars are shooting through the roof and going well beound the 300 mark.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell happened to the other Charger concept from about a couple yrs ago. Looked like a baby viper, and they were going to stuff it with a Hemi.

Chrysler really needs to get their minds out of the gutter and put something worthy of their power plants into production instead of fiddle dicking around with fancy ass station wagons and trucks.

PS. Man it almost feels like the muscle car era is being resurrected with the hemi and GTO coming back, the new stang, and especially horse power on cars are shooting through the roof and going well beound the 300 mark.

No lie, the charger CONCEPT car was HOT. And they went and fucked it all up......

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Dont they do that with all the concepts?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:19:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What exactly makes the 350 a REAL performance car over the Stang besides the jump in price? The GT did 0-60 in 5.1 what does the 350 with the manual do it in?

S.O.

Until I see skidpad numbers and slalom times for the new 'Stang I'm just going to go ahead and assume that it handles just as badly as the old one.  "Performance" doesn't always mean drag racing the pimply geek in the civic with a fart can next to you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:36:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

Until I see skidpad numbers and slalom times for the new 'Stang I'm just going to go ahead and assume that it handles just as badly as the old one.  "Performance" doesn't always mean drag racing the pimply geek in the civic with a fart can next to you.

MT already said it handled better than the new GTO. How the GTO measures against the 350 I dont know.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#43]
I like everything about the exterior of the new Mustang except for the dorky rear treatment. How bland. Other than that it kicks ass in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
MT already said it handled better than the new GTO. How the GTO measures against the 350 I dont know.

S.O.

If that's the case, it may well handle as well as the Z.  I would be completely amazed if that was the case, but we'll see how the production vehicles do.

Stock GTO .85 skidpad

Stock 350Z .88 skidpad

Here's an interesting one

2005 Toyota Tacoma X-runner 300hp (with optional supercharger) and .9+ skidpad
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:17:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

If that's the case, it may well handle as well as the Z.  I would be completely amazed if that was the case, but we'll see how the production vehicles do.

Stock GTO .85 skidpad

Stock 350Z .88 skidpad

Here's an interesting one

www.customtacos.com/news/images/xrunner/xrunner1.jpg

I like this alot more than the toy. Until I see what teh new Lightning looks like I would take one of these...345HP and AWD.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.customtacos.com/news/images/xrunner/xrunner1.jpg

omg who the hell hit that thing with the ugly stick.

i only with ford would make the SVT F-150 Lightning Concept.
www.fast-autos.net/ford/lightningconcept3.jpg

Ok, it's official, I love the look of the 4WD Crew Cab F-150 but dont like the look of the new lightning, or the new Dodge super truck, whatever it's called. Looks like the Chevy SS would be my choice....

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

NO vertical grille

Aerodynamic profile, not limited by the level of engineering knowledge available in 1969

Nice.  My wife drives an '02 WS6 daily.

I just wish the cabin layout was better.   I fit in our '02 Corvette SO much better.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was in current  MT or CD, I forget now.  They got a 0-60 time of 5.1Sec with a 1/4 of 13.6!!! With an AUTOMATIC tranny!!!! They said it was quicker and handled better than the new GTO! The are guessing the manual tranny to do it in 4.8-4.9 sec with an exp driver.  The Cobra will show again in 05 with 400+ HP.

Finally, a "cheap" factory HP car.

S.O.

Still slower than a 2000 Trans Am!!!! 2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (WS6) 4.9 13.4

Real, real great FORD... Your $27k (Estd) 'performance' car will get WAXED by a 5 year old GM product that sells for less than $20k now, and looks a whole hell of alot better!!!!!!

And as for the Cobra, stock 02 Firehawks have hit 13.1 in the 1/4 (that's without a blower)...

Come on Ford, you;'ve had FIVE WHOLE MODEL YEARS!!!! Still slow!

Oh, and will someone fire Ford's body designers....

The Mustang was bad enough in it's old Euro-4-door styling...

This one is far worse... Retro cars are like Reality TV - they were both OLD a long time ago...

Sorry man, Car manufacturers don't make cars to compete with cars that are no longer in production, why would they?

TXL
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

UGLY vertical grille

UGLY round headlights

UGLY boxy profile with above grille & resulting square-nose

www.geocities.com/thegooch69/message.JPG

NO vertical grille

You post a pic of that ugly sled and think the mustang looks bad? Having driven both mustangs and a 95 F body I can tell you that the F-Body SUCKS! It handles like a boat on wheels and I felt like I was going to knock down street signs with the long front end. I didn't care fro the cabin layout either and to boot it felt/looekd cheap. You can have em all, I'll take a stang thank you very much.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top