Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I second the Wheelgun.  My sister has the limp-wristing problem.  If she ever had this problem, I'd be putting my Ruger 22/45 in her hands.  It might be 'just' a 22, but I know that she can make a fist sized group at 25 yards pretty much as fast as she can pull the trigger, so it'd be the best weapon for her.  (That I've seen her shoot._  She want's to get out with my AR, and I'm told she's pretty good with a Rifle.  Limp wrists every pistol we've put in her hands, though.  

I sugest you go to:

J&G Sales

They have trades in:

3" S&W Model 10 38's
4" Ruger Service 6's (38)
4" Ruger GP-100's (357)

All would be good for beginners.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for a wheelgun, at least for starters.  A S&W Model 60 with 3 inch barrel would be my recommendation.

Quoted:
... I said if your gonna shoot someone in defense of your life you need to kill them, no questions about it. ...  

Wrong!  You never shoot to “kill”, you shoot to “stop”.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Autos are easier to shoot accurately. Something with a light and some training maybe?

Disagree completely.....

A revolver IS best for a first time shooter, and a woman....

If she has little/no familiarity with handguns, the automatic is not a good choice as it's mechanically much more complicated and will likely confuse her......

NOT something you want, when the BG's come through the door in the middle of the night....

A revolver is perfect for her, I think.....  Also teach her well how to use a flashlight at the same time...

God forbid she can't SEE what she has to draw down on and loses the 'tactical' advantage....

Lets pray that none of us ever has to be right though.......  

P.S.   get her a big ass dog !!!  BEST scumbag repellant available !

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When looking at the Ruger 357, wouldn't the ruger vaquero in 45LC have less recoil due to the mass of the gun itself?
It would also be more intimidating to be on the wrong end.

ktm500

The 5.5" (mid-length) Stainless Vaquero in 45 is "almost" the perfect gun.  The things that make it "almost" are;

1.  It's single action, which means if she isn't well trained or habitual enough to thumb that hammer back,  and she just pulls the trigger.  Nothing happens.

2.  Can't reload quickly.  Which if you only have one intruder and you've smacked the sorry son of a bitch 2 or 3 times with a 45 (Silvertip or stout cowboy lead load),  reloading isn't an issue.

3.  The damn things are pretty big in the handle.  (I know, I've got a few and I shoot CAS and they fill my big mitt just fine).  The birdshead grip would be much better with 4-5/8 or 5.5 barrel.  The long barrel although intimidating and recoil absorbing  is very barrel heavy..

but a moderate barreled smaller framed 45 revolver is a damn good gun for the situation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]

NO revolvers... Not for a new shooter anyway

WTF is this with guys reccommending wheelguns for women/new shooters?

The trigger pull is universally bad, which makes them MUCH harder to aim... Reloading under stress is a PITA, too...

Get her a nice PPK, Makarov, or at most a Browning Hi-Power.

Dave_A,

You're bitching about a revolver's trigger pull, and then you recommend a PPK or Makarov?  Have you fired a revolver from Smith?

Michael
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO, I'd have her get a shotgun or a rifle.  The sight of those will most likely intimidate any intruder, and I think it will make her feel safer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you're going to get a revolver, PLEASE get AT LEAST a 3" barrel.  ESPECIALLY if you are getting a .38/.357, which needs every last fps it can get.

Actually, I would prefer a .45APC revolver (quick to reload with moon clips) or a .41 Mag with mild loads (replicating .40S&W).

The ONLY *good* ammo for .38/.357 revolvers is Speer Gold Dots.  They are the only manufacturer with a 4th Gen bullet and the only ones that have passed IWBA testing.  Due to the police changing wholesale to autos in the late 80s/early 90s, revolver ammo development has stagnated.

-Troy

Ditto the revolver, and ditto the 3-4in barrel for in-home. The new Gold Dot is not widely available, but the old WW X38SPD 158gr. SWCLHP is an excellent performer as well and field proven over many, many, years and thousands of shootings...yes, thousands.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The trigger pull is universally bad, which makes them MUCH harder to aim... Reloading under stress is a PITA, too...

Dave_A,

You're bitching about a revolver's trigger pull, and then you recommend a PPK or Makarov?  Have you fired a revolver from Smith?

Michael

I was going to mention that.  The PPK/s I had had a great single action trigger.  VERY light and very crisp.  The DA pull was probably 12 pounds!  It sucked!!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
S&W K frame (chief's model) or Taurus /Rossi equivalent in .38 - .357 out of a 2" is a waste of ammo, but it's nice for versatility if TEOTWAWKI comes

Buy a crimson trace grip laser and several hundred rounds of practice ammo.

For SHTF? Glaser Safety rounds, Ranger SXT's or Federal Hydroshocks.

Oh, and a Surefire/Scorpion or similar to ID before engaging.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
i admit over-reacting a bit about the sexism--ive come to expect it here, so i tend to see it, even when it isnt intended--freeride and i covered it in chat last night, so i just let it go here, but am now saying it again for the record in the thread  

i think we all agree that the ladies on this site are not typical of the general population and therefore our opinions and experiences are a bit different than the norm--i purposely asked for shooting instruction (thank you for the 'hands-on lesson' Mr Nukem ) the first few times i shot a handgun and like them better than rifles

i like revolvers more because they are simpler and racking the slide is sometimes more difficult--i can see where reloading a revolver under pressure would be an issue, but i hope after 6 well placed shots, its a NON issue

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
When things go bump in the night there are several ways to respond.

If the perp is sane: A shotgun racking will have them going the other way, pronto. Or the first round (caliber make NO difference) coming their way will also work just fine.

If the perp is not sane (also a probability): This is when you need to worry about stopping power.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
An AR works for me and mine.  If dubmsas dumbass grunts can learn to shoot them then anyone can.

I resemble that remark Watch who you're calling a dumb ass grunt, some of us do it just to make things go BOOM!!! BTW: fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Revolver = simplicity.  No extra levers, no mag to drop by pushing the wrong button.
DAO = even more simple.  One long trigger pull - deliberate, and you never have to put the hammer down if you lock it back for single action (preventing AD).

1.  Push button wall safe:  http://www.impactguns.com/store/vline_quick_vault_wall_safe.html
2.  DAO Revolver:  3" bbl, fixed sights, heavy underlug.  Ruger or Smith in .357 or .38 (Nothing smaller).  Get a good grip, not the slim wood "ankle" grip.
3.  Flashlight:  2-D Cell Mag Light kept in safe (or mounted outside safe).  Change batteries every 6-months when you do your smoke detector.

Keeping gun loaded in safe = don't have to fool with any loose ammo.  Five or Six shots is enough.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dave_A,

Michael

You don't actually USE the double-action pull on an auto. You either rack the slide (chamber empty), or you thumb the hammer...

You HAVE TO use it on a revolver....

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When looking at the Ruger 357, wouldn't the ruger vaquero in 45LC have less recoil due to the mass of the gun itself?
It would also be more intimidating to be on the wrong end.

ktm500

The 5.5" (mid-length) Stainless Vaquero in 45 is "almost" the perfect gun.  The things that make it "almost" are;

1.  It's single action, which means if she isn't well trained or habitual enough to thumb that hammer back,  and she just pulls the trigger.  Nothing happens.

2.  Can't reload quickly.  Which if you only have one intruder and you've smacked the sorry son of a bitch 2 or 3 times with a 45 (Silvertip or stout cowboy lead load),  reloading isn't an issue.

3.  The damn things are pretty big in the handle.  (I know, I've got a few and I shoot CAS and they fill my big mitt just fine).  The birdshead grip would be much better with 4-5/8 or 5.5 barrel.  The long barrel although intimidating and recoil absorbing  is very barrel heavy..

but a moderate barreled smaller framed 45 revolver is a damn good gun for the situation.

Come on revolver guys...

She 'can't handle an auto' and will 'limp wrist'

BUT

You expect her to hit the broad side of a barn with a HUGE revolver and .45 Long Colt?

SHEESH...

The calibers under consideration should be 9mm NATO and .380ACP.

If she wants a small gun: PPK, Makarov, XD Compact, or maybe a Kel-Tec 9mm.

If a normal sized gun will do, Browning Hi-Power or 9mm 1911 (SAO is much easier for new shooters)...

Either way, the slide-rack should be a non-issue, as the gun should be stored with a round in the chamber (I assume no kids)...

Pull, thumb-cock, fire (DA/SA) or Pull, safe-off, fire (SAO, Cocked & Locked)...

Remember 'Long, Deliberate Trigger Pul'l = 6 holes in the wall around the bad guy and an empty cylinder...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Springfield 1911-a1 repro compact 45cal-$400
Glock 23 40cal -$450
Saiga AK shotgun 20 or 12 guage- $200 to $250.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
20ga. shotgun , pump, short barrell, short (but complete) butt stock. No handguns.

Nothing like the sound of a pump shotgun's rack sliding back to make an intruder shit his pants......
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are set on a revolver, Ruger GP-100.

IF not, maybe a 20 guage with buckshot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Remember 'Long, Deliberate Trigger Pul'l = 6 holes in the wall around the bad guy and an empty cylinder...

I don't know what kind of wheel guns you have tried, but most of the current models have really smooth triggers.  The current crop of DAO with concealed hammers are especially good.  The pull is a bit long, but is still crisp enough for decent groups.  In a high stress situation at close range, it won't matter.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Autos are easier to shoot accurately. Something with a light and some training maybe?

I totally agree with you, but at under 7 yards, center mass is all I want.  I also want uber simplicty, firing a DA revolver is very simple.. you point and pull the trigger, reloading is a different issue, but we are not going to get into that. Also being a female, they can have issues with autos related to limpwristing usually resulting in stovepipes.

Even above-average-trained women limp wrist.  It only takes once.  I have seen it.

My wife never limp wrists.  She is strong like animal!!

i am trying to save money to get a 357 revolver--many sources have advised it is a good choice for home defense--simple and easy--i have shot several and like them

however, i am a very good shot with the ex's 9mm pistol and im attempting not to get pissed at the sexist comment  

Sorry, but after working at an indoor pistol range for 3 years, you just come to realize that well, many women limpwrist, I ran into this on a regular basis(few times a week).  Call it sexist, call it stereotyping, call it what you want.  I call it being realistic.   This can also be more of an issue with some guns more than others... but not revolvers.

When I did encounter it, I usually advised a fix, many were able to stop, but some just did not get it.  and imho, that is just one more thing to think about.. that you should not have to.

Not women limpwrist, but you would be surprized at how many do.  On the other hand.. men death grip em.  a whole nother set of issues to deal with.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Arcus, CZ, and such are good options too... Maybe even a HS-2000 (SA XD)...

But a gun that requires fancy widgets (or individual shell insertion) to reload, and requires a long crappy trigger pull for EVERY shot? No Way!

OK... I realize this is more of a BS'ing issue involving personal opinions. Not dissing anybody, but c/o trigger pull/hard aim.

We're dealing with the classic example of the FBI defensive stress shooting example - under 7 yards, shooter knows territory, assailant doesn't.

We're not talking about dropping rams at 75 yards with a .44.

Fancy widgets? What's a magazine then? And most real shooting situations do not involve a reload during the initial confrontation - and IIRC, most "gun battles" involve less than 5 shots per side.

And as far as stress - what about a stuck shell, misfire or a stovepipe? While those of us with police or military training have TAP-RACK-BANG as a mantra, people who don't  (beginners)  take a while to achieve that degree of reflex.

If a revolver misfires, you just pull the trigger again, and there's another round downrange.

Once she (or any other beginner) shows an aptitude, then one of the cited autos would be a fine choice. I'll agree with cmjohnson on this one - whatever she's comfortable with, can operate easily, and shoots well with, she shoud buy, practice, and (hopefully never have to) use.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Go to a range, rent several gun systems (Glock, Sig, Revolvers)
and let her choose. Then buy her professional training with the
gun she felt comfortable with.

I just came back from the range and watched a women there who
couldn't rack the slide on her PPK and had quite a hard time pulling
the trigger. My mother can't pull the DA trigger on my S&W 442.
I am considering the Beretta Model 86FS Cheetah with a flip-up
barrel - with a trigger job added:

I think Mas Ayoob wrote quite an interesting article about the
logical and not so logical choices for women in one of his "complete
book of handguns".

But I have to concour, for pure home defense, maybe a carbine
is best. For many women the shotgun is too intimidating for practising
a lot. The .30 carbine can be had for little money and is fun to shoot.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Come on revolver guys...

She 'can't handle an auto' and will 'limp wrist'

BUT

You expect her to hit the broad side of a barn with a HUGE revolver and .45 Long Colt?

You are not reading too closely are you?  You also didn't notice everybody talking about training did you????

Whens the last time you shot a birdshead in 45??  Did you see in any of my earlier posts since you decided to quote me where I said that you need to get a pistol that fits??    You need to go to a CAS match and watch all the little ladies that use HUGE revolvers.  Many are in smaller calibers but that's for competition, for defence you need the bigger caliber and yes with practice and training it isn't a problem.

Are you trying to say that no training or practice is needed for autos?  With substantially equal training and practice the revolver is still better for the scenario.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Take her with you to a gun shop with a range and rent a few with her.  Let her pick one she is comfortable with.  If there is a ladies night - go then and she can ask other women their opinions.  She might then be more comfortable -and- more apt to go practice with some new friends.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top