Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ford is answering the issue of rear end fires by making a fire extinguisher system in  the rear but at extra cost.

The next best thing is next years intrepid. Rear wheel drive V8! supposidly it will blow the doors off of even the old caprices.

Interpid is DEAD.

It was replaced with the 300C/Magnum platform.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the news-entertainment shows did a report on lawsuits against Ford. They found that most departments suing Ford had NEVER had an incident related to the "design flaw". They apparently felt they should be compensated for driving around in "defective" cars................... Something is fundamentally dishonest about that.

+1!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Its not about money. Its about forcing Ford to correct a design flaw they choose to ignore.

It certainly appears to be about money. When a department that sues, or joins a suit about the "design defect", which has never had a fuel tank related fire, and continues to use CV's as patrol cars.......................
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have to wonder how all those cops in Europe patrol thousands of miles of freeways, at speeds usually 15 to 30 mps faster than here, in mid size FWD cars.

WTF does a highway cop, who's 99% of the time alone, need a Crown Vic for?  And the statement that FWD cars do not survive police service is bullshit.  Cheap FWD cars do not survive rough service.  Well made ones do.

I've seen most of the crap state troopers carry in their trunk, and they could stand to lose about 70% of it.

I have to wonder since the brassmobile powered with a 3800 (supercharged drivetrain for a bit) has:

A) Jumped 12' culverts at high speed
B) Made hairpin turns without losing traction
C) Beat all other cars from one tollbooth to the next
D) Gets 30mpg when driven "normal"
E) Can carry what all is in the brassmobile, (which I am unsure exactly what it is...)

You jumped 12 FOOT high culverts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Local sherriff dept only uses Crown Vics. Nothing else would stand up to the treatment they give them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
If the crown victoria is such a pos, why do the cops keep wanting to buy them anyway?
Because it is a "built like a brick-shit house" pos.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If the crown victoria is such a pos, why do the cops keep wanting to buy them anyway?
Because it is a "built like a brick-shit house" pos.

Unless you hit it from behind...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Second point:  So he's wanting to keep buying vehicles that he believes to be defective?  

The Crown Vic is the only acceptable police car on the market. Unfortunately it burns when rear ended.

Sure it can, so can any other car that is rear ended at 55mph plus... Add in a bunch of gear in the trunk such as road flares, possibly pyrotechnics, a multitude of electricle connections that can spark a fuel leak created in such a serious wreck.

The reason you dont see this happen in other cars is because no other car performs the same job in such great numbers so frequently for YEARS. The car is not defective, it simply has a hazardous job. That's like sayig if an officer gets shot on the shot he was defective and you need a better one...

For everyone you find that blew up in a rear ender you can probably be shown 20-30 that didn't.

Try looking at the big picture people.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have to wonder how all those cops in Europe patrol thousands of miles of freeways, at speeds usually 15 to 30 mps faster than here, in mid size FWD cars.

WTF does a highway cop, who's 99% of the time alone, need a Crown Vic for?  And the statement that FWD cars do not survive police service is bullshit.  Cheap FWD cars do not survive rough service.  Well made ones do.

I've seen most of the crap state troopers carry in their trunk, and they could stand to lose about 70% of it.

BullShit. My local PD has guys bitching about the WIMPalas over the CVs. They are cramped, underpowered and the trannies are not holding up. They are cheaper and better in snow, being FWD, thats all. You would be surprised how many PDs that have bought WIMPs are not all to happy about how they have been performing.

Lets see, take a unibody car, make it FWD, put in a V-6, load it down with a bunch of crap and start doing pit manuvers, jump medians, curbs, and RR tracks, hit big ol potholesetc etc, and we'll see how long it lasts compared to a FULL FRAME RWD V-8 car.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its not about money. Its about forcing Ford to correct a design flaw they choose to ignore.

It is not about a "design flaw".  The design met all applicable safety standards for rear impact collision.  The cases that are part of the lawsuits involve instances far outside normal usage.  No make of car is designed to withstand a rear impact at the speeds in these instances (50mph+).  The Crown Vic just has it happen more often due to the disproportionate numbers of it in police fleets (40% of Crown Vics are police units, about 40k annually).

+1,000,000

Duh........I dont know why people dont get this......

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to wonder since the brassmobile powered with a 3800 (supercharged drivetrain for a bit) has:

E) Can carry what all is in the brassmobile, (which I am unsure exactly what it is...)

Well thats the Brassmobile, its more then a car.

I miss my Crown Vic
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Second point:  So he's wanting to keep buying vehicles that he believes to be defective?  

The Crown Vic is the only acceptable police car on the market. Unfortunately it burns when rear ended.

Sure it can, so can any other car that is rear ended at 55mph plus... Add in a bunch of gear in the trunk such as road flares, possibly pyrotechnics, a multitude of electricle connections that can spark a fuel leak created in such a serious wreck.

It doesnt happen often with front wheel drive cars becuase there is nothing around the gas tank to puncture it. Police cars should have a soft fuel bladder contained in a steel tank, period. any other design of patrol car fuel system is fundementally flawed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesnt happen often with front wheel drive cars becuase there is nothing around the gas tank to puncture it. Police cars should have a soft fuel bladder contained in a steel tank, period. any other design of patrol car fuel system is fundementally flawed.

Then the PDs should specify that in their purchase contracts and PAY for it.  The fault for these fires lies with the PDs for attempting to get the lowest price by purchasing a 20+ year old design.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
We have had two CV's in my county burn when hit from behind.

One I saw multipile pictures of. The other I saw first hand as I was in the first engine on scene to put it out, and the first to lay water to it.

Both were extreme cases of being hit from behind by tractor-tailers, fully loaded, doing 65+mph. Under those circumstances any damm car is gonna catch fire, because any fuel tank is going to rupture. Yet of course the only thing many folks here is say "see, CV"s explode".

Folks, the damm cars were so mangled they were not even recognizable, anyone who expects a fuel system to retain its integrity under those curcumstances is a moron.

Police departments are buying a design thats what, probably 20 years old since development started, and then carrying three times the junk in the trunk and crying because Ford engineers didn't predict the trend for LE to carry so much more with them and make allowances for it twenty years ago
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a BIG win-  for Chrysler!

Florida should be seeing a lot of Interepid Crusiers now and even better

The Dodge Magnum Police Special
thewebnewsroom.com/news/features/police-car-hemi.shtml?-popular

[r]340 horsepower![/r]

If there is going to be a problem it will be with officers killing themselves because they have never driven a car with this much power.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This is a BIG win-  for Chrysler!

Florida should be seeing a lot of Interepid Crusiers now and even better

The Dodge Magnum Police Special
thewebnewsroom.com/news/features/police-car-hemi.shtml?-popular

[r]340 horsepower![/r]

If there is going to be a problem it will be with officers killing themselves because they have never driven a car with this much power.  
www.thewebnewsroom.com/news/features/images/sxt.gif

I'll be very interested to see how the Magnum Wagon works as a police car.  The issues I see are cost and capacity.  Ford has a good thing with the Crown Vic in that it's cheap, they've been making it long enough that the fixed costs are recovered and there isn't a high retail demand for the car to begin with (Police and Taxi Cab usage account for more Crown Vic sales that retail comsumers).  The Magnum Wagon is going to have much higher retail demand for the next few years, so DCX won't be so eager to go dirt cheap on pricing.  The Hemi engines especially are in high demand, between Jeep, Dodge truck and 300M/Magnum demand, so that engine option will most likely be priced outside the range of most PDs.  Also, the Magnum and 300M are made together on a flexible line, so DCX can shift volume between the two.
I don't see the Magnum wagon getting the kind of PD volume as the Crown Vic simply because it's hard to imaging DCX getting that aggressive on price.  Kind of the same situation with Police usage of the large SUVs - until recently, it was more profitable to sell them to retail customers instead of fleets.
It is an attractive looking cruiser, though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll be very interested to see how the Magnum Wagon works as a police car.  The issues I see are cost and capacity.  Ford has a good thing with the Crown Vic in that it's cheap, they've been making it long enough that the fixed costs are recovered and there isn't a high retail demand for the car to begin with (Police and Taxi Cab usage account for more Crown Vic sales that retail comsumers).  The Magnum Wagon is going to have much higher retail demand for the next few years, so DCX won't be so eager to go dirt cheap on pricing.  The Hemi engines especially are in high demand, between Jeep, Dodge truck and 300M/Magnum demand, so that engine option will most likely be priced outside the range of most PDs.  Also, the Magnum and 300M are made together on a flexible line, so DCX can shift volume between the two.
I don't see the Magnum wagon getting the kind of PD volume as the Crown Vic simply because it's hard to imaging DCX getting that aggressive on price.  Kind of the same situation with Police usage of the large SUVs - until recently, it was more profitable to sell them to retail customers instead of fleets.
It is an attractive looking cruiser, though.

I see "civilian" CV's priced at 29K. I've seen Hemi Magnums priced at 30K. Police CV's cost about 23K. So if Magnums can be cut down the same amount as CVPI's are from the civilian vehicles, they will be competitive.

The Magnum was supposedly desgned to be cheaply made into a police car. Also the Magnums I have seen have a good deal of items, navigation aid, expensive stereos, etc. that will not make it to police cars, and will help in dropping the price. My understanding is there will be very few brake, wheel, or tire mods needed to go from civilian car to police car for the Magnum. CVPI's all have those systems modded to go from civy-police.

CV and Marquis are low volume, high profit cars. They are the most profitable non-SUV's currently being sold. That low vloume also means there are more productions costs per vehicle.

I think Dodge is working on keeping production costs low, and volume high, for their Magnum/300C lines. Also the "Hemi" is sales leader for Dodge. I know of no production issues with that engine. Dodge seems to be getting rid of a lot of "magnum" engines and replacing them in light trucks and cars with the Hemi. Hemi's are supposedly less expansive to produce than previous engins like the 5.9 L Magnum.

Hemi will be the engine installed in police "pursuit rated" vehicles. There are no options. There will be a "police special service package" with a 3.5 L V-6, that is NOT supposed to be used as an emergency vehicle.

The big question is simply this "Is Dodge willing to take the steps neccesary to capture the police vehicle market?" IMHO. If they want it.................................................... they just have to price the Magnum competitively. Oh and it gets slightly better mileage than th CVPI...........
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#18]

well here's a preview of Daimler/Chrysler's new Charger sedan, uses same chassis as the 300 & Magnum

www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=8518&page_number=1
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Major problem I see is the Crown Vic is a proven design. The Chrysler is largely new & they have tons of reliability problems, especially in the first few years of new models. I'd hate to be the PD who becomes the guinea pig for their new vehicles. I owned a Chrysler a few years ago I bought new. Worst POS I ever owned. Needless to say it is somebody elses problem now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My wife is a nurse that has worked with one officer for his 35+ surgeries after being rearended in his exploding Crown Vic.

Boycott Ford!

schecterle? (SP?)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Major problem I see is the Crown Vic is a proven design. The Chrysler is largely new & they have tons of reliability problems, especially in the first few years of new models. I'd hate to be the PD who becomes the guinea pig for their new vehicles. I owned a Chrysler a few years ago I bought new. Worst POS I ever owned. Needless to say it is somebody elses problem now.

Sure you did- "a few years ago" being actually 1979 right?

Would you consider buying a E-class Mercades?  

Guess what? Except for the body and engine the Magnum IS a E class Mercades ( and it really shows when you put a Magunm next to a E-wagon.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

An intersting point.

The Hemi isn't new, it's new to this platform.
The transmission is a M-B 5 speed auto, again has been in other platforms.
The Magnum will be out for 3 years before a "police magnum" becomes available.
The 300C will have been out for 4 years before the "police magnum" appears.
The Magnum/300C share the same running gear.

So when the Magnum becomes a police car, it won't be a rookie

So hopefully some of the "teething" will have been worked out.

But of course as soon as it becomes a police car, issues that come out under hard use will show up.

As an FYI, every year Ford changes stuff on the CVPI. Mostly without any rhyme or reason. Every year something else manages to get screwed up. Our newest cars are going through some type of recall now. In the past Ford has had recalls on wheels, rear suspension, gas tanks, computer issues, transmission tailshaft issues. etc.

My company can't keep the O/D part of the transmission working. Altenators and batteries last months.

So Dodge entering the market might make Ford step up and make the CVPI more capable and reliable. (I hope)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey, GM! Start making something to compete!!!

Last I heard, GM was going to import the Holden Monaro and re-badge it as a Pontiac GTO. Did that plan get scrapped.

I would think that a Monaro would do well, in a Mad Max sort of way.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last I heard, GM was going to import the Holden Monaro and re-badge it as a Pontiac GTO. Did that plan get scrapped.

www.rsportscars.com/foto/01/monarocv804_01.jpg

No they are available now at any Pontiac dealership.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuel Bladders/Fuel cells are NOT fireproof!  That is a myth!  There have been plenty of racecars that have caught fire.  Don't you watch racing?

Remember when Dale Earnhart Jr. almost burned to death (his Corvette caught fire after hitting the wall sideways) at the 24 hours of Daytona last year?

Get real!  99.99 percent of Crown Vics have not experienced gas tank fires.  Most of the ones that caught fire were hit from behind by semi-tractor trailers weighing 20 tons doing over sixty miles per hour.

Crown Vics are very safe.  This is just a case of vice presidential candidate John Edwards friends in the trial bar, making a big ruckus over very rare incidents--hoping to make millions of dollars for themselves--and a tiny bit of money for their clients.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

a lot of fundamental Mercedes E-class components date from the 1996-2002 design

and then there's all the hardware from the brand new 2003 E-class

both excellent vehicles
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#27]
The only reason North American spec E-type Mercades are not being built on the same assembly lines as 300C/Magnum/soon to be Charger is that the Unions in Germany would have a screeming fit and probably walk.

To keep labor peace DC had to promise to build only Mercades trucks in the US- the M class are buiilt ONLY in the US.

This is also why they build the pussified M class and STILL build the Gelandwagen, all to keep peace with the German trade unions.

And the little Chrysler Crossfire sports convertable is, in trade, built on the same lines in Germany as the SLK/SLC coupes and convertables.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So then WTF is the hold-up here?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So then WTF is the hold-up here?  

The UAW.  There was a huge pissing match when it was announced that the GTO was being built in Australia.  GM agreed in the last contract to cap imports from Australia to something like 50,000 units.  If they want to sell anymore, they have to add capacity here - something they won't do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Fuel Bladders/Fuel cells are NOT fireproof!  That is a myth!  There have been plenty of racecars that have caught fire.  Don't you watch racing?

Remember when Dale Earnhart Jr. almost burned to death (his Corvette caught fire after hitting the wall sideways) at the 24 hours of Daytona last year?

In the majority of fires in racing the fuel leak is not from the tank/bladder. Its from the fuel line or pump pump. Fuel bladders have an excelent crash survivability.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An intersting point.

The Hemi isn't new, it's new to this platform.
The transmission is a M-B 5 speed auto, again has been in other platforms.
The Magnum will be out for 3 years before a "police magnum" becomes available.
The 300C will have been out for 4 years before the "police magnum" appears.
The Magnum/300C share the same running gear.

So when the Magnum becomes a police car, it won't be a rookie

So hopefully some of the "teething" will have been worked out.

But of course as soon as it becomes a police car, issues that come out under hard use will show up.

As an FYI, every year Ford changes stuff on the CVPI. Mostly without any rhyme or reason. Every year something else manages to get screwed up. Our newest cars are going through some type of recall now. In the past Ford has had recalls on wheels, rear suspension, gas tanks, computer issues, transmission tailshaft issues. etc.

My company can't keep the O/D part of the transmission working. Altenators and batteries last months.

So Dodge entering the market might make Ford step up and make the CVPI more capable and reliable. (I hope)

Well, I have a CV with the HPP pack, essentially the PI package but in a more luxo wrapper. I put about 2.5K a month on it and drive it like I stole it. Have had ZERO mechanical problems. Granted, my car does not get the 40k a year milage that a cruiser might but what are you expecting? These cars age 2-3 years for every year a normal car ages, of course stuff is going to wear out and break. These cars have HUGE electrical loads compaired to a normal car batteries and alternators will wear out faster. A factor often left out of all these breaking cars is how good the service is being done to them, rearely do we get that side of the equation.

S.O.

edited to fix some of my poor ass speeling...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well, I have a CV with the HPP pack, essentially the PI package but in a more luxo wrapper. I put about 2.5K a month on it and drive it like I stole it. Have had ZERO mechanical problems. Granted, my car does not get the 40k a year milage that a cruiser might but what are you expecting? These cars age 2-3 years for every year a normal car ages, of course stuff is going to wear out and break. These cars have HUGE electrical loads compaired to a normal car batteries and alternators will wear out faster. A factor often left out of all these breaking cars is how good the service is being done to them, rearely do we get that side of the equation.

S.O.

We have had transmission problems for YEARS. You would think they could design an OD system to survive behind a 220-250 hp midsize V-8. They've only been making them for 20+ years.

More like 80-100K per year.  Whne we used to get rid of them at 100K a lot of them were in much better shape than you would think.

Again, every year Ford changes things, sometimes for no apparent reason, each year of new CVPI's has something else stupid done to it. Every year there are recalls.

Why is that happening on a car that has used the same frame since the early 90's? and the same body style for 7 years? You would think they could sort out a car in that amount of time.

Oh, AR-15fan, the CVPI's do have fuel tank "liners", they just dissolve slowly when the come in contact with gasoline.....................another year's bright idea.

You would also think that Ford would figure out that altenators tend to go out, and out a heavier alenator in there............. actually they have for 2004....................6 years into the car design.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#33]
why dont the police just buy armored vehicles if they are so worried about it like an apc. of course the damn gas tank can rupture when your hit in the rear by someone going that fast  any car could have that problem
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

We have had transmission problems for YEARS. You would think they could design an OD system to survive behind a 220-250 hp midsize V-8. They've only been making them for 20+ years.

More like 80-100K per year.  Whne we used to get rid of them at 100K a lot of them were in much better shape than you would think.

Again, every year Ford changes things, sometimes for no apparent reason, each year of new CVPI's has something else stupid done to it. Every year there are recalls.

Why is that happening on a car that has used the same frame since the early 90's? and the same body style for 7 years? You would think they could sort out a car in that amount of time.

Oh, AR-15fan, the CVPI's do have fuel tank "liners", they just dissolve slowly when the come in contact with gasoline.....................another year's bright idea.

You would also think that Ford would figure out that altenators tend to go out, and out a heavier alenator in there............. actually they have for 2004....................6 years into the car design.

If your talking about the tranny "shudder" that has been a problem in Ford trannies, it is directly linked to the fluid. They are VERY dependant on the correct fluid and regular fluid changes, something 98% of car owners do not do until it's to late. The fluid doesn't even have to be burnt, just the WRONG fluid.

My car has the PI engine and tranny pack but has 3.27 gears instead of the 3.55s (and my car is still quicker) and the steel instead of the MMX driveshaft and in 120k my stock original 130amp alty is still fine. People have to realize that they cars are driven hard and put away wet and are not going to drive like a 20k 20 year old car car your grandmother had to drive to church with only on sundays

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#35]
If I recall correctly, the officer in Phoenix that was burned, his vehicle was rear ended by another car that was going over 70 mph and his car was standing still.  Now he might not agree, but that guy is lucky to be alive.  I think that says something about the CV that the guy lived through that.  I drive a Ford Ranger, and if  I got rear ended by a car going that fast, my family would be getting a call in the night and the emergency crews would be picking up parts of my truck and me from all over the road, not being able to tell what part is which.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
why dont the police just buy armored vehicles if they are so worried about it like an apc. of course the damn gas tank can rupture when your hit in the rear by someone going that fast  any car could have that problem

M113A3 APCs have external mounted fuel tanks in the rear

www.uniteddefense.com/www.m113.com/m113a3.html

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Just for everyone's info, none of the Chrysler RWD cars are, or will be, body-on frame.  They are all unitized welded bodies.  

Any engineer knows a unitized welded box beam (what a unit body is) is FAR stronger and stiffer than a ladder frame with a sheetmetal body bolted on it.

A unit body can be designed to to heavy loads easily, and if not designed for so at the outset, it can be modified with welded reinforcements.

The only reason body on frame still exists in cars is because it is cheap, and it trucks because it makes configuration changes (different beds, bodies etc.) much easier.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just for everyone's info, none of the Chrysler RWD cars are, or will be, body-on frame.  They are all unitized welded bodies.  

Any engineer knows a unitized welded box beam (what a unit body is) is FAR stronger and stiffer than a ladder frame with a sheetmetal body bolted on it.

A unit body can be designed to to heavy loads easily, and if not designed for so at the outset, it can be modified with welded reinforcements.

The only reason body on frame still exists in cars is because it is cheap, and it trucks because it makes configuration changes (different beds, bodies etc.) much easier.

Not exactly.

A unibody is stronger for a given weight; ie:  you can make it light and strong.

If you think ladder frames aren't strong, take a look at semi-trucks
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If there's a brain left in General Motors, they'll be bringing out a rear wheel drive, four door sedan of adequate size that's well suited to police service again...and SOON.

If they don't do it,  Toyota probably will!     A strengthened, RWD Avalon or Camry would make a pretty solid competitor in that field.

Chrysler is working on having a PD spec Magnum wagon within the next year or so.  Mopar owned the police market back in the day & kept the V8 RWD Gran Fury/Diplomat assembly lines going quite a while longer even after they dropped the rwd sedans from the general civvie line up.

when the new Magnum wagon & Chryslery 300 came out that was one of the fitrst things that came
to mind,  finally a domestic car with a RWD chassis (Mercedes E-class no less) that can give some competition to Ford in the police market

GM is working on making all Cadillac sedans RWD,  the CTS & now the Seville

I wonder if there will be a RWD Chevy or Pontiac in the future ??

Holden Monaro/GTO

Now, if only the price were lower...

Hey, the B4C Z28 worked as a PI...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If there's a brain left in General Motors, they'll be bringing out a rear wheel drive, four door sedan of adequate size that's well suited to police service again...and SOON.

If they don't do it,  Toyota probably will!     A strengthened, RWD Avalon or Camry would make a pretty solid competitor in that field.

Chrysler is working on having a PD spec Magnum wagon within the next year or so.  Mopar owned the police market back in the day & kept the V8 RWD Gran Fury/Diplomat assembly lines going quite a while longer even after they dropped the rwd sedans from the general civvie line up.

when the new Magnum wagon & Chryslery 300 came out that was one of the fitrst things that came
to mind,  finally a domestic car with a RWD chassis (Mercedes E-class no less) that can give some competition to Ford in the police market

GM is working on making all Cadillac sedans RWD,  the CTS & now the Seville

I wonder if there will be a RWD Chevy or Pontiac in the future ??

Holden Monaro/GTO

Now, if only the price were lower...

Hey, the B4C Z28 worked as a PI...

Not in Arizona or California they didn't.

They overheated constantly, and had serious transmission issues, again related to running hot.  DPS never replaced their Mustangs at all.  California tried buying some Camaros and wound up reassigning them to the far north.

I would assume Nevada had the same results, but I have never met any of their troopers so I cant say for sure.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because not everyon drives a 3.8 or smaller car...

You would NOT beat me between toll booths [
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unibody is also much more expensive to repair under most conditions.  I also wouldn't want to put a pushbar onto a bumper mounted on a unibody vehicle.  Isolating the body from the frame is still useful under heavy duty usage conditions.

Not exactly.

A unibody is stronger for a given weight; ie:  you can make it light and strong.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not exactly.

No shit, sherlock.  Compare apples to apples, please.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#44]

AR15fan, Sorry dude,  but your belief in fuel bladder/fuel cell effectiveness, reliability, cost, and feasibility does not jibe with real world use.  It is great for racing, it ain't great for everyday use for many reasons.

First, they don't last very long.  They need to be replaced every few years because they degrade internally.  This degradation is hastened when certain fuel additives are used.  One potential problem with a fuel cell is that it can explode if not properly maintained.

Fuel cell foam should be replaced every three years.  This is not practical for municipal use.  This is an added cost to those police CV's that is not justified by the minicule risk.

Please read this link to see the problems with fuel cells.

www.fuelsafe.com/FAQ.htm

Also fuel cells may be illegal to use.  Read to the bottom of this link. www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0310or_fuelcell/
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Finally a voice of reason!  People dont realize any vehicle that is used like the CV by police are going to have issues.  Passenger cars usually dont take that kind of beating day in and day out.  Other cars that are butt ended at 70-90mph would do a lot worse then the CV.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top