[#1]
WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
PASSED!!  245 to 168!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Doesn't this have to go to the Senate too? I can't see it passing there.

I thought I sorta asked this question on page one but nobody else seems to have any idea
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Holy Shit! It looks like it's gonna pass.

Damn fricking NEO-CON Republicans!!!

They don't give a shit about the right of people to be safe from gun-crimes!!!

Our only consolation will be that the Senate will do their duty and shoot down this irresponsible "freedom-to-kill" bill.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to get off topic but you have the Yea's the Nay's a Pres and No-Votes, what does the PRES mean?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, now comes the hard sledding, WE NEED TO MAKE THIS PUPPY PASS THE SENATE!!!!  Remember GW has never vetoed anything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not to get off topic but you have the Yea's the Nay's a Pres and No-Votes, what does the PRES mean?

PRESENT...but not voting
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Any bets on how far violent crime statistics are going to slide downhill in the first 12 months following the repeal?

My money is on 40%
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PRESENT...but not voting

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any bets on how far violent crime statistics are going to slide downhill in the first 12 months following the repeal?

My money is on 40%

And when it does it's going to be one big black eye for the anti-gunners!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PRESENT...but not voting

Thanks!

99.999999% positive about this...it's one step above hiding in the bathroom to avoid voting. Think of it as an official cop-out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PRESENT...but not voting

Thanks!

99.999999% positive about this...it's one step above hiding in the bathroom to avoid voting. Think of it as an official cop-out.

Exactly!   Do your friggin job and represent your constituents!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Can the Senate attach a "Assault Weapons" Ban to it? If they can it will probably pass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Tagged.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My money is on 40%

It wont have any difference.  Violent crime is a social problem, and gun legislation one way or the other has only a miniscule effect, in either direction it goes.....  which is why anti-gun legislation is not effective at it's goals.  (assuming the goal is reducing gun related crime.... and not the disarming of the people!)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Can the Senate attach a "Assault Weapons" Ban to it? If they can it will probably pass.

not without sending it back to the house to pass in new form...

etr: awkward and inaccurate language
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My money is on 40%

It wont have any difference.  Violent crime is a social problem, and gun legislation one way or the other has only a miniscule effect, in either direction it goes.....  which is why anti-gun legislation is not effective at it's goals.  (assuming the goal is reducing gun related crime.... and not the disarming of the people!)

Which is why all the states that pass CCW immediately experienced a drop in violent crime rates?

I don't follow your logic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our only consolation will be that the Senate will do their duty and shoot down this irresponsible "freedom-to-kill" bill.

Ha, I thought I was on DU for a second.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He must have left his comp unattended.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or he's using sarchasim
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No frickin way!  The dems voted against industry liability immunity and it DID have the extended AWB attached to it.  Basically they like having the issue around to whip up their base with, but won't ever vote for an actual bill using it as a compromise.

They would NEVER give a mile on the DC gun ban, while taking an inch on an AWB.  (they know it is a dumb issue anyway)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or he's using sarchasim

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Is sarchasim like sarcastic masochism? or Masochistic sarcasm?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay, I'm confused, what happened?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#27]
WTF. Where was I when all this shit when down?

What is the latest? I'm on CSPAN right now and am seeing nothing. When will all of this run thru the Senate?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Some moron just stood up and asked if "concealed weapons will be permitted in these chambers". He was told that HR3193 is not law yet.  As a representative you would think he would know!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill that repeals many of the restrictions on owning a weapon in the District of Columbia.  I don't know what the bill actually says, details will surely come out later.

The Senate must pass the same bill, or a similar one, and any differences must be ironed out before the bill can be advanced.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My money is on 40%

You need to read some of the books written by John Lott.

Yes, laws allowing gun ownership, especially CCW, have a direct impact on reducing crime.  It provides a very literal deterent effect.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill that repeals many of the restrictions on owning a weapon in the District of Columbia.  I don't know what the bill actually says, details will surely come out later.

The Senate must pass the same bill, or a similar one, and any differences must be ironed out before the bill can be advanced.

A step in the right direction, anyway.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#32]

IIRC & FYI... this bill need to be passed by the Senate before the end of this Congressional session otherwise it DIES.  

I don't think bills carry over from one Congressional session to the next.

BTW... This Senate's term ends this Friday.

This may end up being purely symbolic - which is maybe why so many DemocRATs voted for it. They know it'd never have time to pass the Senate in two days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My money is on 40%

WTF?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Is sarchasim like sarcastic masochism? or Masochistic sarcasm?  

No, you've got it all wrong. Sarchasim is that sweetener that causes cancer in lab rats.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Sen. Craig Drops Attempt to End D.C. Handgun Ban
9/24/2004

An effort headed by Idaho Republican Sen. Larry E. Craig to repeal the District of Columbia handgun ban has been shelved, at least for now, the Washington Post reported Sept. 21.

Senate GOP leaders said they didn't have enough time to get involved in a debate over gun control in the weeks before Congress adjourns for the fall elections. Opponents of the proposed repeal, including parents of District residents who have been killed by gunshot, had begun a lobbying effort to fight against Craig's proposal.

A spokesman from Craig's office said that supporters of the measure in the Senate will instead wait for House action on a bill by Rep. Mark Edward Souder (R-Ind.) to repeal the D.C. handgun ban. GOP House leaders have promised a floor vote on Souder's bill this fall.

Aides said that Craig could still try to amend the D.C. budget bill when it reaches the Senate floor, but a spokeswoman for Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said that such an amendment would trigger an unwelcome revived debate with Democrats over the assault-weapons ban that died last week. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) pledged that she would initiate that debate if Craig introduces the repeal on the Senate floor.

"I think it is reprehensible that the people of the District enact their own laws, and then the gun lobby comes along and is going to use the Senate as a vehicle to abolish them,"
she said. "This will create a major, major impediment on the floor if he does it, I promise him that."
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I think it is time for Fienstien to have a heart attack and get out of our fucking noses.

So, do you think the bill will pass independently, or will he have to attach it to another in the form of a rider?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#37]
If it manages to pass, and there is a significant drop in crime rate in DC... anti-gun legislation doesn't have a chance for years to come.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think it is time for Fienstien to have a heart attack and get out of our fucking noses.

So, do you think the bill will pass independently, or will he have to attach it to another in the form of a rider?

It would be nice if Ted would give her a ride home...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

They are going to fight tooth and nail to get the AWB tacked on

No doubt about it.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be nice if Ted would give her a ride home...

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If it manages to pass, and there is a significant drop in crime rate in DC... anti-gun legislation doesn't have a chance for years to come.

It won't pass the Senate by Friday, and that's the end of this Congressional session.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are going to fight tooth and nail to get the AWB tacked on

No doubt about it.

- BG

At this stage, the only purpose for attaching an AWB amendent would be to kill the DC ban bill. With only two days left, I see very little opportunity or time for it to pass the Senate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, a man can always hope for a miracle, can't he?

No harm in pushing for it either way. Craig might be able to pull it off again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It won't pass the Senate by Friday, and that's the end of this Congressional session.

Perhaps that is why so many Dems voted for it. They can now "sell" themselves back home as pro gun without the danger of the law actually passing.
While it is a chickenshit thing to do, if I am correct, it indicates that pro gun is more politically correct than being anti gun. If so, it is a good trend.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#45]

The "D.C. Personal Protection Act," (S. 1414) has 34 Co-Sponsors. It was authored by Orin Hatch as well as others including Larry Craig.

Call Your Senators - CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD: 1-202-224-3121

US SENATE:
* Locate And Contact YOUR Senators HERE

SENATE MAJORITY LEADER:
* Sen. Bill Frist, R-TN
DC  (202)224-3344
TN  (615)352-9411

SENATE MAJORITY WHIP:
* Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-KY
DC (202)224-2541
KY (859)224-8286

CHAIRMAN, SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE:
* Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, R-UT
DC (202)224-5251
UT (801)524-4380

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Assuming this passes the Senate and the President, what are the CCW implications for DC?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Assuming this passes the Senate and the President, what are the CCW implications for DC?

That will have to be worked on next.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#48]
It isn't going to pass the Senate. Frist has already said no to it for this session and Feinstein has already promised to attach a semi-auto ban to it (something that she has the votes to do right now).

If you want it to pass then Senate, then better work this November to put Senators in office who will tell Feinstein where to go. I can name nine off the top of my head that would change the vote in the Senate tremendously. Voting for any of these guys (or donating to their campaign) will get us one step closer to being able to repeal bad gun laws.

Thune, Coors, Demint, Coburn, Burr, Nethercutt, Martinez, Vitter and Holt.

Except for Holt, all of those candidates are within the margin of error and stand a real chance to win.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#49]
It won't get to the Senate.  What they were trying to do was get the Dems' vote on record hoping it will hurt them when they are up for election.... oh well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My money is on 40%

You need to read some of the books written by John Lott.

Yes, laws allowing gun ownership, especially CCW, have a direct impact on reducing crime.  It provides a very literal deterent effect.

The crime rate will only drop in Northwest DC and Northeast DC,  the crime rates would NOT drop in Southeast DC.   Again, your assuming even if this law were to pass (which it wont)n that DC would have a CCW clause.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top