Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Two that aren't on your list are the basis of Thomas Sowell's "Conflict of Visions" a very good explanation of the divide.

William Godwin's "Enquiry Concerning Political Justice" is the liberal mantra.

Adam Smith's "Theory of Moral Sentiments" is the conservative view.

DeTocqueville's "Democracy in America"

Hervey Allen "Anthony Adverse"  great adventure like Count of Monte Cristo.

Herman Hesse, "Siddhartha" or "Damien"

Mark Twain "Joan of Arc" possibly the most incredible story in human history and he claims it is his best work.

Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
CTR is right! BH Down is one of the best written military books ever. Incidently, the author, Mark Bowden has just released another book called "Killing Pablo", regarding the death of narcotrafficante Columbiano Pablo Escobar. It deals with U.S. involvement in the hunt and eventual killing of Escobar. I'm picking it up tomorrow. [uzi]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow!  I really didn't expect this much response.  Keep it coming, my list continues to grow.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I almost crashed my truck while listening to audio version of Blackhawk Down. I reccomend "We were soldiers once and young" by Moore, its awesome account of battle of La Drang valley by the guy who lead the fight.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
don't forget "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy!
View Quote

I've read those about 4-5 times in H.S. alone.

Tolkein rules...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Reading "Relic" right now...much better than the movie.  Aren't they all though?

I read R.A. Salvatore, Weiss, Hickman.  I like Dragonlance series.

Also like fringe books/Ragnar Benson type stuff.  I collect the vids also...anyone else have/like this stuff contact me plz...
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
btt
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
How about "Jonothan Livingstone Seagull". I read my fathers copy from 1973, and it was one of the best books I have ever read in my life. And "Animal Farm" can not be read enough. Also a good book, "The Satanic Versus". Stalin Grad by Anthony Beevor, and "Citizen Soilders" by the same guy who wrote Undaunted Courage. I heard "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" is also great.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Stephen Ambrose is a great read.  I read Undaunted Courage several months ago and I just finished Citizen Soldiers.  Both good books about American history.  Also try Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson if you are interested in the Civil War.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top