Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I bring up 9mm and 223 because a lot of us would have been carrying weapons in those calibers in  a similar situation.  Obviously he was better prepared with his 44 mag.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
He mush have filed the front sight off and shoved it up the bears ass for a lowly .44Mag to kill a bear.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What is crazy is the people who come up here and purposely hunt those big grizzlies with a .44.

I hunt bear with a recurve bow.

When the .357 mag was new it was used sucessfuly for Grizzly bear.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He mush have filed the front sight off and shoved it up the bears ass for a lowly .44Mag to kill a bear.  

Where I live the 44mag is standard carry amongst men who go into the wild.  Some of us hunt bear with them.  

I have a friend who hunted and killed a bear with a .357 magnum. (waddya wana do live forever?)

The problem with grizzily bear is their pan head. Bullets can ricochett off of it. (including rifle rounds) Body shots probably work better.

What works real good is a shotgun with slugs.  But it is not very compact to carry when picking huckleberries.  An avid activity for some in Montana, and it is where you can find bear, because they eat huckleberries.

So 44mag is what most of us carry.  Though I have carried my 45acp at times.  

Bears aren't monsters nor are they indestructable.  If you shoot them enouph times in the right place they die just like other creatures.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it"

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought the thread was titled,  "HITLER kills Alaskan Brown Bear with pistol!"

Beat me to it.

glad im not the only one

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
bears always attack and charge people at random. i am sure this person did absolutely nothing to provoke the bear.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell, my uncle downed a moose with a 7mm Magnum, then shot it six times behind the ear and it ran off. Never did find it.

He also shot a blackie at 75 yards with a 310 cast federal bullet and dropped it with one shot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I still feel my .45 wasn't even close to being enough after just seeing the huge tracks of a few different grizzly bears up thar recently.

Sometimes even the ol' 1911 just ain't enough gun.  IMO a .600 NE wouldn't be enough gun for ANY BEAR....or LION or TIGER.......or monkey.....but I am super scared o' monkees.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
bears always attack and charge people at random. i am sure this person did absolutely nothing to provoke the bear.

Yes, bears do exactly that.  

I don't hunt animals just so you know. Not for sport or food. (though, I would if I needed food)

But, I see people all of the time who come from urban states who think the wilderness of mt is a theme park play ground.  They take pepper spray into the woods and think it protects them.  It doesn't.  

I have had black bear within five feet of me on a hiking trail (long story, not his fault or mine) and all it wanted to do was put as much territory between him and me.

All bears don't want to kill people all of the time.

But, .... they are like sharks in the ocean.  Its THEIR wilderness.  We are just visitors. But that won't stop me from killing one who wants to eat me.  

And people are attacked every year in my state by bears.  And many or most of those attacks are unprovoked.  I have never heard of anyone attacked by a bear who went up to it and taunted it in some way.  It just doesn't happen.

Just being in the same area as a bear with cubs may get you attacked.  Just being in the same area with a bear and the bears food may get you killed. Just being in the area with a bear may get you killed.  

Bears have torn open tents and dragged campers off and eaten them. (I hear californians are particularly tasty cause the work out so much and eat veggies)  

Sometimes bears are just very territorial and don't like humans futsing around in their AO.  And they will charge you, and maybe attack you. (other times they will just glance at you and wander away)  

Sometimes bear will actually slowly stalk a person and kill them.  

They are very powerful, unpredictable animals who deserve our respect. I give them a wide berth when I see them. But I keep my hand on my 44 just incase I happen to look like a meal that day.

And anyone who goes into the woods (where bears moose, or cats may be) without a firearm is a damn fool.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought the thread was titled,  "HITLER kills Alaskan Brown Bear with pistol!"

Beat me to it.

I saw it too.

Same here, now, I don't feel so bad!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I bring up 9mm and 223 because a lot of us would have been carrying weapons in those calibers in  a similar situation.  Obviously he was better prepared with his 44 mag.  

Actually I'd probably have had my .45acp loaded with .450SMC or .45super or my lil SP101 with the 160gr JFP hunting loads.   In either case I'd be bear poop, if I had some bear spray maybe I could at least give him a spicy meal and a bad case of burning anus the next day.  

And yeah, the hitler thing hit me too...  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
He should have stuffed the .44 up the bears pooper, pulled the trigger and posted pics.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And anyone who goes into the woods (where bears moose, or cats may be) without a firearm is a damn fool.

Roger that ZEN. I pack my .44 mag with 300gr hardcast when in bear country. I always have at least 6 extra rounds, in case the first 6 doesn't get the job done (like the story). I get a kick out of all the outdoor stores around that advocate the sole use of pepper spray to take care of a bear. I dunno... but I'd hate to get a face full of that stuff in a wind gust. When tree-hugging hikers meet me on the trail and ask my about my hogleg, I tell them it's for bears and people. And I mean it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And apparently, bears around Anchorage seem instinctively drawn to attack only armed hikers. Four this year, I've never heard of so many browns being shot in the woods and hills around town.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
There was a study done on bear sprays and the only thing they found with the study is the sound of spray will spook some bears but the spray itself will not stop a bear.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that ZEN. I pack my .44 mag with 300gr hardcast when in bear country. I always have at least 6 extra rounds, in case the first 6 doesn't get the job done (like the story). I get a kick out of all the outdoor stores around that advocate the sole use of pepper spray to take care of a bear. I dunno... but I'd hate to get a face full of that stuff in a wind gust. When tree-hugging hikers meet me on the trail and ask my about my hogleg, I tell them it's for bears and people. And I mean it.

When I used to walk my golden retriever in a wooded park in SoCal years ago, I would always go heavy.  My preferred weapon then was a .45 Ruger auto.  I figured, "fuck-it...better to be judged by twelve than carried by six," and I wasn't going to be a vic of some whacked out dopers-gangstas.  Forget the dog too...he was a lover; not a fighter.   He'd have given them his ball and wanted to play!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There was a study done on bear sprays and the only thing they found with the study is the sound of spray will spook some bears but the spray itself will not stop a bear.

We had a bad fire season this year, and most of the area was burned off.  Lots of hungry bears.

One of the last black bears we had to shoot at work was flippin' immune to pepper spray.  We did not really want to shoot it, and one guy emptied one of those big pepper bear spray cans 5' away right into its face.  It shook it off and was not in the least incapacitated - during or after.

Noone here takes those damned things seriously anymore.  They are supposed to be better against brown bears, but they dont' bother us here.

And yeah, that bear in the article was VERY close to real civilization.  Just a couple of blocks away from subdivisions, and maybe 3-4 from Muldoon road.  SIx lanes wide at that spot.  But then, even in Anchorage when you stop off the road you are in wilderness.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Actually it reinforces my belief that any gun is better than no gun, and whipping it out and shootign is much better than a three day waiting period.

I whip mine out and shoot it as much as possible, much to my wifes dismay.......

"Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured for a reason: to take out today's modern super animals, such as the flying squirrel and the electric eel."
Lenny- Simpsons

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a bad fire season this year, and most of the area was burned off.  Lots of hungry bears.

One of the last black bears we had to shoot at work was flippin' immune to pepper spray.  We did not really want to shoot it, and one guy emptied one of those big pepper bear spray cans 5' away right into its face.  It shook it off and was not in the least incapacitated - during or after.

Noone here takes those damned things seriously anymore.  They are supposed to be better against brown bears, but they dont' bother us here.

And yeah, that bear in the article was VERY close to real civilization.  Just a couple of blocks away from subdivisions, and maybe 3-4 from Muldoon road.  SIx lanes wide at that spot.  But then, even in Anchorage when you stop off the road you are in wilderness.

Kool, I lived there for 9 years !!!  That was probably just off my old neighborhood !!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

So did I. Must be time for bed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought that it was decided in the bear thread that the .44mag was a death ray that would drop a bear instantly.

No, I thought some people reckoned it was pointless to shoot a bear with a pistol as it would only annoy it, I got the impression from the last Bear thread you needed at least a .338 Lapua Mag on a bear, or better still a Barrett Light 50…

I would pay to see someone shoot a bear with a .50
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#23]
The US forests are sounding all scary now...all we have here are snakes and spiders
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
One Word : Tromix
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top