User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have recently been thinking about this.  Rather than pay for a transferable MP5, I think I'm just going to get an AR15 SBR and a 11.5 upper, maybe one in 5.56 and one in 9mm.  With a collapsible stock, it should be quite concealable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Here's what a lot of people miss when talking about pistol caliber subguns.

The main strength is zero recoil, minimal flash and noise.

For VIP stuff, ESPECIALLY INDOORS, you don't want a loud ass 5.56 going off. You want a gun that recoils like a BB gun and doesn't bust your eardrums. This lets you rapidly engage multiple targets or successive follow up shots.

If you are in the field, then 9mm has definite weaknesses and that is where the 5.56 becomes preferrable.

These are all just tools, smart operators pick the best one for the job at hand.

Pick yer' tool!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Guys,

Brouhaha is right on.  5.56mm ammo from an 8" barrel = .22Mag performance.  And the P90 is slightly worse, but the absolute WORST performer is the HK MP7.  The 4.6mm round performs WORSE than round nose .22LR!  Okay, so all of the above DO manage to penetrate soft body armor, yes, but their wound potential is TINY.  The only reason they are at all effective is because they can be used in full-auto to spray 5-to-10-round bursts into a bad guy.  And don't think that's going to be easy with the HK "MP53," though it is doable with the P90 and MP7.

And the XM8's standard barrel is 12.3", and yes, performance with current M855 will be absolutely abysmal in that barrel.  Even worse will be the ~8" "CQB" version.  But soldiers love short guns (their KEWL!), and very few know *anything* about terminal ballistic performance, so it may well happen.  At least with a short-barreled 6.8 SPC, you could still have good performance, as the 6.8 is still fragmenting past 100m from a 12" barrel.

Anyway, an MP5K, using good hollowpoint ammo such as Ranger-T or GoldDots, has a significant performance advantage over any of the above weapons, INCLUDING shooting through barriers.  The ONLY drawback is that they can't penetrate soft armor of Level II or above.

-Troy

So you would agree that a 10.5" 9mm would be superior to a 10.5" or less 5.56, then?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
.223 super-short barrel rifle vs. 9mm SMG....

Why not a Colt 10mm carbine?

10mm is freakin' powerful.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

because they don't make one?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Troy abd Steyr Aug are right on.  With the right ammo 9mm is preferable to a 8inched barreled 5.56.  The noise difference between a 16 and 20 inch barrel is huge.  Imagine if you cut that down to 8.  The unburned power is going to get the shooter like a flash bang.  Disorientate the shooter and has his team.  We wont even get into the poor ballistic performance from a 8 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

because they don't make one?

Colt doesn't. I think some other brand does.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Olympic does. Colt would if someone ordered enough of them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MP5s are just long barreled pistols.

Get a rifle.  Preferably an AR in .223.

No! Get an MP53 in .223… as small as an MP5 but with the punch of an AR  a .22WMR!

Fixed it for you.

Well as long as you are here, which would you go with, in the scenario given? Short barreled .223 or a pistol caliber SMG?

An 8.36" 5.56 vs a 9mm with my choice of ammo?  

I wouldn't hesitate to choose the MP5 with 147gr Ranger-T.  You'd get excellent penetration and a nice sized wound channel.  With 5.56, you'll never get enough velocity to fragment, even with the heavier ammo such as 77gr Nosler/77gr Hornady.

Plus, the MP5 is more controllable with FAR less (not deafening) muzzle blast.

Ok, I'm not a big fan of .223 as an all around do everything cartridge.  As a matter of fact in this situation if I wanted a rifle caliber Id go with something like 7.62x39.  Its not speed dependant, penetrates good and leaves a good size hole.

But heres my question. Off the shelf .223 is horrible out of a 12" or shorter barrel since its loaded for 18"+, what would be the process for loading it with faster burning powder?  I think you could do a lot more with the added case capacity, better ballistics capability, tried and true rifle platform, etc.

I dont see why it cant be done, but havent seen it done yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
About using the MP5 to protect Kofi Annan... hmmm... let me think... is protecting a member of the UN who repeatedly criticizes the U.S. and then asks for our aid a high priority for me??

And the answer is: *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* HELL NO!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Guys,

Brouhaha is right on.  5.56mm ammo from an 8" barrel = .22Mag performance.  And the P90 is slightly worse, but the absolute WORST performer is the HK MP7.  The 4.6mm round performs WORSE than round nose .22LR!  Okay, so all of the above DO manage to penetrate soft body armor, yes, but their wound potential is TINY.  The only reason they are at all effective is because they can be used in full-auto to spray 5-to-10-round bursts into a bad guy.  And don't think that's going to be easy with the HK "MP53," though it is doable with the P90 and MP7.

And the XM8's standard barrel is 12.3", and yes, performance with current M855 will be absolutely abysmal in that barrel.  Even worse will be the ~8" "CQB" version.  But soldiers love short guns (their KEWL!), and very few know *anything* about terminal ballistic performance, so it may well happen.  At least with a short-barreled 6.8 SPC, you could still have good performance, as the 6.8 is still fragmenting past 100m from a 12" barrel.

Anyway, an MP5K, using good hollowpoint ammo such as Ranger-T or GoldDots, has a significant performance advantage over any of the above weapons, INCLUDING shooting through barriers.  The ONLY drawback is that they can't penetrate soft armor of Level II or above.

-Troy

I never thought I would agree with that, so before I started typing I took a calculater, and pencil/paper and hammerd it out. Then I looked into the arcives of my battered brain, and found several lesson learned the HARD WAY.  Refecting on those mistake, if I had the aboved mentionedknowledge, things woud have went alot better   And I DO agree with you 100%.  You learn something new as long as your looking.  Wealth of knowledge here, one would be foolish not to listen to the pros.

thank!  Me learned sumpin.

Eddited to say Kerry is a booger eater, and there needs to be an add.  Who wants a commie booger eater?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#18]
i would go w/ the pdw or sd3 if it were indoors
all around, i'll try out the new p-90

overall, i'll go w/ a m4
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]
From the HK web site...does anybody know if this is true?

"What appears upon first look to be a weapon design to compete with the FN series P90 in 5.7mm x 28, the PDW promises to be a huge improvement on that system."

Though no one could fault the engineers at Fabrique Nationale for their vision, the P90 has one reported serious flaw."

"If you drop a partially loaded magazine, or the gun with a partially loaded magazine, rounds will go flying, get disoriented in the magazine and seriously jam the mechanism."
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Good thread this and learned a lot……

So in a nutshell would I be right in saying…

If the potential Bad Guys are just lightly armed 'locals' who are unlikely to have body armor… the 9mm MP5k is the best weapon for the job.

If however, you think the Bad Guys may have a clue and will be wearing body armour get a .223 SBR like the MP53 or Colt commando…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone seen insurgents in armor? I haven't, but I would like to know if any are armored.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Good thread this and learned a lot……

So in a nutshell would I be right in saying…

If the potential Bad Guys are just lightly armed 'locals' who are unlikely to have body armor… the 9mm MP5k is the best weapon for the job.

If however, you think the Bad Guys may have a clue and will be wearing body armour get a .223 SBR like the MP53 or Colt commando…

Andy

There are some 9mm rounds that penetrate armor much better than other 9mm rounds. I can think of one HP loading that reputably will defeat vests that easily defeat other 9mm rounds.

If you have a full auto 9mm a multiple round burst striking the same area of the vest is very likely to overwhelm it.

Not to mention MP-5's are accurate and quick, so failure drill.......................
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the MP5/10? I know they are no longer made, but I always liked the idea of a 10mm subgun, especially if it could handle real 10mm loads....Just a thought.

The P90 has a very specific spectrum in which it is useful, but beyond that I wouldn't trust it.

The best answer is to have a mix of weapons on a protection team designed to handle whatever comes.

But in VIP protection the main issue will be what you can get away with carrying. In lots of places, you can't "appear" to be heavliy armed. Thus whatever you can reliably conceal will get carried regardless of terminal ballistics.

The main goal of a team is to get the principal out of the area ASAP. While they are concerned with ballistic efficiency, the main focus is having the ability to lay down enough firepower to break through an ambush.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#25]
My vote goes to the Russian-made  SR-3 Vikhr loaded with SP-6 AP ammo. The 9mm round creates a decent permanent wound cavity, the round is designed to reliably penetrate body armor, and the overall length of the weapon with the stock folded is only 14" OAL, the same size as an MP5K. Attach a compact suppressor, redesign the charging handle, magazine release and sighting system, integrate a bolt hold-open device, and IMHO, the Vikhr would make a most superior PSD firearm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My vote goes to the Russian-made  SR-3 Vikhr loaded with SP-6 AP ammo. The 9mm round creates a decent permanent wound cavity, the round is designed to reliably penetrate body armor, and the overall length of the weapon with the stock folded is only 14" OAL, the same size as an MP5K. Attach a compact suppressor, redesign the charging handle, magazine release and sighting system, integrate a bolt hold-open device, and IMHO, the Vikhr would make a most superior PSD firearm.

It fires 9x39mm ammunition…

That's going to leave a mark! .

Andy
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

That's what I want! And besides, the way those AP rounds penetrate, you could take out 3-4 people with one round!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#31]
No, If conceiled carry was the issue I would carry the new FN PDW in 5.7 cal., If not I would carry  a real short barreled M16 (12 inch or so), The reason is that most of the real bad guys today wear body armor & the Pistol caliber MP5 will not cut it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#32]

For .223 I don't think you want a SBR, you probably want M4s. The only time those super shorties make sense is in examples like the DOE guns where the tight confines of a nuclear facility require them.

I think you will find that the DOE guns were/are 9mm.  

I don't get the short-barreled rifle trend at all.  An M1 Carbine or a Thompson would do better for typical bodyguard distances than a short-barreled AR or HK53.  Some people just think 9x19 is terrible.  Multiple hits on center mass are most often fatal though.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I believe the secret service used to carry them. I think it was the MP5K PDW with folding stock and a really cool shoulder "holster"

Yep.  That's what I would use.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Oh by the way, waht's the barrel length on the HK53?

9"
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#35]

G36K… mmmm?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Whats wrong with a nice 10" AR?

They work now, and even at its worst at that short length a 5.56 is going to do way more damage than a 9mm-even M855 would probably be useful but if not use M193 or Mk262 or buy commercial JSP like Federal or Winchester 64gr.

I think the people who carry the HKs in Iraq are either just trying to be different so they are not identified with Americans or they got exceptional deals from HK on the price.

Carrying .223 means you have to worry a little less on the intel of your threats being spot on.  Whether its because they show up with armor or decide to ambush you along the one open field on your route...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
About using the MP5 to protect Kofi Annan... hmmm... let me think... is protecting a member of the UN who repeatedly criticizes the U.S. and then asks for our aid a high priority for me??

And the answer is: *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* HELL NO!!

Yeah, what he said.  They should protect Annan with Super Soakers loaded with pig urine!

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

SSK industries offered virtually the same thing with the .300 and .338 Whispers
There have been no takers on our side.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top