BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Was just watching footage of soldiers in Iraq who are upset about being sent off to war. Some of them were complaining that they enlisted for college money, but instead were sent to war. These folks were saying they would vote Democrat and support Kerry because they didn't join the military to fight in a war. Isn't it a reasonable possibility that if you join the Army, that combat operations could require you to be thrown into a hostile wartime scenario?

It pisses me off to hear these soldiers bitching about how GW falsely lured them into the military with promises of college money and then he sends them to Iraq to fight where they could possibly be killed.

I just don't understand the stupidity of anyone who serves in the military fully expecting there be zero chance of being sent off into combat. By joining the military voluntarily since there is no draft, isn't an enlistee exorbitantly increasing his/her chances of being sent to war. Why join the military with the ignorant perception that there's no chance in hell of being called up for combat duty?

WTF were these idiots thinking?

What do you think of soldiers who bitch about being sent off to war?

HS1

Your name says exactly what I think should be done.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Given their reasoning for joining, I don't think I'd want one these supposed "soldiers" covering my ass anyway.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#4]

I joined thinking, among other things, that wow this is alot of college money or this is a great job skill - but in the end it came down to serving my country and I WANTED TO DO IT, TOOK PRIDE IN DOING IT AND WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT.

Right On!!

Same here, I leave in October. Couldn't be more excited!

A lot of people want to go, and some are taking every measure not to.
BUT that's what I believe Leavenworth is for!

'Course that won't happen.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The local news ran a story a couple days ago about a women who was working for skerry, because she had two kids that were *thinking* about enlisting, and she just wanted them to get the education and not have to serve.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Dirtbag freeloading pussies.  I hope they spend alot of time on patrols in all the shit places while the good soldiers get a well deserved break.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]
They are "GUTLESS PUSSIES" and I would put them on point from the start.  If they don't make it till supper...........so be it............I have seen enough of that type of cowardness.  They remind me of my ex-wife..............all mouth, no brains and take-take-take!!!!!  Better still...............maby lock them in a 20' x 20' room with me for a little "close quarter combat training".
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
They are a bunch of freeloading cowards. They didn't mind taking America's money when they were in the U.S.  I heard plenty of Marines bitching about various shit when I was in Iraq, but I never met one who didn't think he would go to war if one happened. I remeber alot of Marines getting really excited when that P-3 went down in China. I was also among several dozen in my unit that requested orders to deploying units before we invaded Afghanistan. I know one Staff Sergeant on recruiting duty who attempted to get himself reduced in rank and kicked off recruiting to go to Iraq.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
When I checked in with my squadron gunny (he was a MSgt and changed the sign on his door to say Squadron MSgt) he asked me why I joined the Marine Corps.  I told him I joined because I wanted to be a Marine.  He told me that was the first time he had heard that in over 3 years.  The bottom line is, I never see commercials saying "Protect your country!"  they say "get money for college", and we're wondering why people like this join.  It's not anyones fault but the military for approving these commercials.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Before anyone gets all pissed off, please note these are Canadians.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
strangecosmos.com//images/content/102466.JPG

Well, screw them too then!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Do firefighters volunteer, hoping to never fight a fire?
I heard this this from my woman...
Her friend's daughter is complaining about it, saying he joined for the college/housing/benefits.
They had a baby and she is complaining that he is away.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey morons, it's a volunteer army.  You don't want to go to war?  Don't enlist.  There's no such thing as a free ride.  The military doesn't hand out $25,000 checks because it's fun; they expect services to be rendered.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We had a saying in the Suck, "A bitching Marine is a happy Marine". When they stop bitching, there's a problem.

If they want to complain, let them complain as long as they go and do their duty.

Yup. When I hear bitching and griping among my soldiers, all is generally OK. When they stop, they are either pissed or all up to something thats not kosher.

When they start fighting amongst each other things have gotten bad and problems need to be handled ASAP.

Yup, been going on since there have been armies. Get used to it. Sometimes they compalin to handle stress, sometimes because they have spotted a problem they think needs to be handled, but they are there ready to go.

Now civilians complaining about solidiers................................
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
What Marines don't bitch about deploying????  You ever talked to one that got stuck on a gator  freighter for a few months and then  in one of those damn quonset huts on the road to Cubi Point?  Talk about bitching.

(But that's only when waiting for the bus to the gate.  They don't quite bitch as much coming back over the river bridge tossing their last peso to the Fairy Queen. )

Anybody that joined after 9/11 isn't in a position to do more than the standard bitching and moaning all of us did.    And no bitching and moaning about getting deployed.

I only saw one guy ever get sympathy about being suckered and getting deployed.  Had an SM1 in my Reserve Unit.  Brown Water Navy in Nam, Purple Heart, etc..  He had like 27 years in was going to get out and we talked him into staying for 30.  My unit sent folks to Subic for  their 2 weeks annuals.  So he figured what the heck.  A great bunch of guys, have fun, go to Subic, etc.  About 3 weeks later Saddam rolled south, about 2 weeks after that we were at MSCFE in Japan being told where MSC was going to send us.  He got told Diego Garcia,  Almost turned white (which in his case was biologically pretty dificult) .  The Master Chief then told him to relax, he was probably going to stay in Japan.   Wasn't too terribly happy in any case but cheered up when the laughter stopped.  

You take the King's Shilling, you fight the King's  wars.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We had a saying in the Suck, "A bitching Marine is a happy Marine". When they stop bitching, there's a problem.

If they want to complain, let them complain as long as they go and do their duty.

I agree, it is a soldiers right to complain. It has been going on since Bunker Hill and Valley Forge.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yup.  Bitching has been a staple of military life since the beginning of time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck them. I got off of active duty and joined the reserves last summer. I'm in a ground unit in the Navy reserves. I knew there was a chance I would go. Well, low and behold 7 months after my last deployment we were given our orders to Kuwait(not Iraq I know). 8 days notice. My wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. You know what I did. I got on the damn plane and did my fucking job. I consider those types that whine up there with welfare scum. Just there for the free ride.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Bitching by E-1 thru E-4.  I give em a pass.
E5-E-9. I say punch the sorry fucks in face, tell them to STFU and move out before an E4 and below hears their whiney pussy ass.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
strangecosmos.com//images/content/102466.JPG

Err.. don't be fooled by that "ARMY.CA" junk on the bottom right of the photo.  Those are US Army National Guard soldiers - check the black star on the front of the truck.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Wah, wah, wah... all GW's fault... fucking Democrats are traitors.

War is scary, poor baboos.

Democrats = pussy in French
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
it's the soldiers right to bitch but it is annoying.They need a good bitch slapping too to remind them that when they signed up in the ARMED FORCES it means you might go to war. Fucking whiny assholes
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#24]
To the college money crowd i say TFB!!!

Now to the people on their Second and third deployments and extended deployments who were given a specific time frame of being there then to have it extended at last minute, THEY HAVE A LEGITIMATE BITCH!!!! Or those who were let go saying they weren't needed and now are being called back on I.R.R. just as they were getting on with their life, They have a Legitimate BITCH!!!

People who joined for the college money and didn't seem to hear throughout all their training that they would be expected to kill people and break things, Sorry NO BITCH ACCEPTED!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#25]
My dad is active duty Air Force, been in 22yrs. He didn't want to go over during Desert Shield. Hell my brother and I were 6 and 7 yrs old. But talking to him about it now, he knew what he signed up for when he joined and did what he had to do. He just makes fun of these "soldiers."
Ya know it's one thing to bitch while you are over there. Hell it passes the time and soldiers have done it for century's. But when you do it on camera and question your CIC on film, then we have a problem. The Arkansas NG video on the history or discovery channel was a good example of that shit. Seems like they focused more on the numbnuts then the quality SNCO's........
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it is obvious that many Reservists, National Gaurdsmen, and some army enlistees do it for the extra paycheck or the college money. I am 16 and seriously considering joining the military after I graduate from college and entering as an officer without going through ROTC. I don't understand how the soldiers who enlist for money can take the heat from hot lead flying at them if they aren't doing it for their country. Money isn't a large enough incentive to me... I want to do it to keep my country safe.

I think it's BS when people act suprised that they have to wage war when that's what they are.... a friggin' soldier. I think this is why we find so much lack of espirit de corps in the army is because the army takes people for all different reasons: college money, naturalization benefits, etc. The Marines, however, tell you upfront that you are a rifleman first and that your objective is to eliminate the threat. The Marines are much more motivated than the regular army because they know that they are bad mother truckers, for the most part they are all volunteers and they want to eliminate the enemies of our country.  

If you aren't prepared to sign your life away to the military then don't join up. Simply as that.

GRH - God's Right Hand : "Hold No Quarter. Feel No Remorse."
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you don't want to fight & want to be military, enlist in the Air Force, and let your officers do the fighting (not a dig on the AF, a statement of fact: AF enlisted, except Security Police, generally do not fight. AF officers (Pilots) do)....

There are a good number of AF Vehicle Operators (AFSC 2T1X1) in Iraq now running convoys.

I'm in a ANG rescue unit...we did one Iraqi deployment already; albeit it was a MUCH shorter deployment than the USA and USMC.  

Some of the vehicle operators from my unit were deployed to Iraq as drivers but are (were) working as crew-served weapons operators.

With that in mind...PJ's (and combat rescue officers), combat controllers (both officers and e's), TACP's, combat weathermen (attached to USA units), AFOSI, and (possibly) intel (if attached to USAF security forces) could also get combat triggertime.  

During one "alarm red" at my deployment location, the base commander did not authorize the arming of USAF personnel on the base (except for security forces and AFOSI); mind you the USA, Italians, Dutch and everyone else were armed for a period time after that.....but noooooo, not us.........sheesh.  Here we are in body armor (old stuff too), helmets and web gear....NO GUNS ho
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
GI means Government Issue. When you serve in the Military you are property of the US government and they can do pretty much whatever they please with you. You know those soldiers in the old nuke videos that are standing around watching? they are not just there for the show. No they are there for testing to see what the radiation will do to them and if they can survive the shockwave.

When you join the military of your own free will it doesnt matter what 'you' wanted to do or 'your' reasons for joining. And anyone that would join the military without a clue that they might be sent to war is a tool IMO.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe so but when I joined in 1963 you couldn't have two short tours in a row!  You could go to Nam them Germany,or Korea them Germany!  I just feel bad that these kids(national guard) are going to have to fight this war in that kind of mind!

And if you ask the youth of this country what they think about the Draft(in WW2 65 per cent were draftees) they would fall on the ground in protest!

They enjoy freedom but would never want to fight for it!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They enjoy freedom but would never want to fight for it!

Bob

Because they're a bunch of MTV pussies.  I blame it on parents not beating their kids enough and failing  to teach them about things like honor and pride.  My parents made damn sure I knew which country was the greatest.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Maybe so but when I joined in 1963 you couldn't have two short tours in a row!  
Bob

But the reality is...

When you sign on that dotted line, you can have 100 tours in a row.
That " you couldn't have two short tours in a row" wasn't a clause in your enlistment papers.
It was just a temporary adminiatrative policy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#33]
[Legends of the Fall]  He chose to be a soldier. and soldiers die!  [/Legends of the Fall]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Well... I joined the Army for the money and being here in Afghanistan sucks.  Just kidding :P  Actually, if I didn't have a loved one back home, I'd be fine staying year for my entire 3 years straight.  You'd never see me on the news bitching or anything.  The Army has done a shitload for me.  I semi understand some of the people who bitch in my unit.  My unit has been deployed to 3 countries in the last 4 years for a total of almost 30 months.  Thats a lot to be gone.  Luckily I came to the unit partway through this most recent deployment so I'm not jaded yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I was pissed they wouldn't let me get out of the Navy after 9/11 and join the Army or Marines. There was one of my friends in my Reserve unit (just got off of active) that didn't want to be deployed again. ??? WTF why join the Reserves? That's the whole reason the reserves exist. BUT he did his job and didn't bitch. He knew he sign on the dotted line.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I think they are fucking pussies. The whole idea of signing up for the main reason for college money and not as a benefit is stupid. They signed up and need to STFU.

And before anyone talks shit, I did serve, and wish I never got out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Believe it or not, the most bitching I have heard from anyone in my unit was from two of my guys who were crosleveled to a deploying Finance company... to guard an AF base.

Thier bitch wasn't at being cross leveled, or being deployed... but being deployed to do something for the AF that they could have done for themselves had they not been such prima-donnas. The AF didn't even assign any extra non-SF personell to its gates. It would have been one thing if they were using all the resources they had, but they were not.... they were still working 8 hour workdays 5 days a week, while they had these guys working 13 hour shifts 6 days a week for the first 6 months.

If Army finance clerks, a huge number of whom were in the MOS because they were physically disqualified from being Infantry or MP due to past service connect injurys but still wanted to serve, are "qualified" to guard the gates than the Airmen on that post should have been also. They crunched the numbers, and for the AF to have done its own security it would have required every E-5 and below on that installation to pull one 12 hour shift every 23 days. But they refused to even send a token few to help to allow them to give the guys a few long weekends.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#38]
jeebus.  One 'serves' in the armed forces,  which exists to FIGHT WARS.  Getting deployed, and getting killed, are normal consequences of wearing the uniform.

I'd go in a heartbeat, but apparently our military services have enough sense not to take on a 50 yr old cripple with an attitude..   Ops
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#39]

What Do You Think Of Enlisted Soldiers Who Bitch About Being Sent Off To War?  

No big deal to me.

If they want to get out of thier military obligation, that's thier right, but then they will be Courtmartialed, receive a Dishonorable Discharge, and finish thier time in the Brig or Leavenworth Federal Prison.

At least they won't be fighting hard core insurgents in Iraq any more.

No one wants to go to war, but if you join the US Military, WTF did you think you would be doing!??
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What Do You Think Of Enlisted Soldiers Who Bitch About Being Sent Off To War?  

No big deal to me.

If they want to get out of thier military obligation, that's thier right, but then they will be Courtmartialed, receive a Dishonorable Discharge, and finish thier time in the Brig or Leavenworth Federal Prison.

At least they won't be fighting hard core insurgents in Iraq any more.

No one wants to go to war, but if you join the US Military, WTF did you think you would be doing!??

+1     and in at 21 years myself
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Bitching in front of the camera is very, very unprofessional, and those guys that join "just" for college money are in for a real fucking suprise. We all bitch among ourselves in jest, and put signs like the "one weekend a month my ass" on our vehicles-- that is for us, its not for you, or the press. C'mon guys you gotta have humor, its better to laugh than cry, and God knows we all do alotta cryin. Yeah, before I went the first time, I was so fuckin moto- so was everybody, but that shit only goes so far, once you get there, you see little kids all fucked up, and your friends hurt or killed, the whole time your wondering if your going to buy it... yeah, the moto is real hard to sustain, the only thing that keeps you goin was for your  fellow marines. IMO we all bitch about shit, like others said, thats a fact of E-3 and below. But you CAN'T expect anybody thats been there to WANT to go back and see that shit again.  I don't look foward to it, that however shouldn't suggest that I won't  go, or I'll bitch publicaly about it, or be a pain in everyone else's ass about it. So maybe there are couple  different types:

The guys who haven't been and are scared to go and bitch about it publicaly... A few, and funny because they're going anyway, hahaha... welcome to reality

The guys who haven't been and are scared to go and bitch about it within friends... Alot of guys, fear of unkown.... it's understandable

The guys who haven't been and are ready to go and kick some raghead ass... Alot of guys, motivate others, usually high moral, which is good for everyone

The guys who have been and are scared to go again and bitch about it publicaly...  Kerry he
The guys who have been and are ready to go back and kick some raghead ass... Fewer compared to before..

The guys who don't really want to go back, but because we are, and because the stupid fucking ragheads can't  fucking behave themselves, they are going to pay with their fucking lives... Me, and most others hink
sorry for the rant guys, but that my .02
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#42]
They don't have to like it.  
They just have to do it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I always felt like "They only joined for the college money" was a bunch of  liberal propaganda. To the liberals it's simple logic. Soldiers must have joined for the college money because no one in their right mind would join to serve their country. They have repeated it for so many years that it's now accepted to be the truth. That comment has always stuck in my craw and I could never prove it, but I always felt the liberals were showing their contempt for those of us who volunteered to serve in the post-Vietnam era.

I served 13 years in the Army and AF and during that time I might have met maybe five people who joined "just for the college money". Most joined to serve their country, learn a job skill, see the world, or even kill commies, but just collecting college money never seemed to be near the top of the reasons I heard from guys. Me... I joined to blow stuff up and shoot machineguns.  

I agree that soldiers and airmen will bitch and whine with the best of them (mine sure did). But when it came down to crunch time, they did the job and accomplished the mission. The one who ends up in the press is the 1 out of 5,000 that the media uses as an example of how bad morale is. Funny thing is you never hear about the other 4,999 who are kicking ass, taking names, and not bitching.  

I agree that the soldiers who go to the press and whine should be hammered. Please don't lump these pieces of shit in with all our brave, hardworking troops by repeating the tired leftist mantra that this current generation of troops "only joined for the college money".  There's a lot of good kids who have left their blood over in the desert and they deserve better than that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#44]
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.
PRAY for war.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I have to agree, up to a point.  When my section bitched to about food, equipment, brass or assignments, I knew they were just fine.  

Going on TV to bitch about the President? Not good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#46]
By joining the military, you have contracted your services to the United States government.  How can people not know what the military does!?!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I think if the US MIlitary was a little smarter,  soldiers wouldnt be so pissed about going to war.  And if the Military started thinking and fighting wars for itself,  and not being dictated by the ROE's and politics.  Then I think our military would have a higher morale.

-Down with Islam-  Love thy woman-  Preserve the sanity of moral life-
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top