Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Never served .mil.

A heart condition and being color blind keep me out.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Funny how that works, for me if I had it all to do over again, I'd have gone in, or even went the ROTC route. I still had some growing up to do before I went off to college, that I didn't do. God knows I had enough friends in NROTC in college that were trying to get me to go that route, and man should I have listened. More than anything I needed the disapline and either a couple years in the military before college, or even probably ROTC while in college would have made a world of differeance for me for the better. But as they say the past is the past, no use trying to live in it, learn and move on.

I might add though that even than if I had wanted to, I still wouldn't have gotten in.

I've got no physical issues, and would have been accepted easily.  However, there have been way too many right place right time issues in my life.  I'm all about making the most of those...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't, but came very very close to joining the USAF.  I probably would have had some kind of administrative MOS because I had an ASVAB score of like 98 if I remember correctly.  I had been originially talking to the Army recruiter and he almost started drooling on his desk when he was my scores.  I ended up getting a job with an engineering frim before I signed any papers, so I didn't join.

I still consider it when I see all these pictures of our troops over there, or something reminds me of 9/11.  If a draft was ever begun, I'd more than likely just go volunteer instead.  I'd more than likely go Army and a combat MOS if I were to go, I couldn't stand sitting behind a desk or something while people I knew were out getting shot at.  I'd rather be out there trying to make a difference.  Who knows, I may end up serving anyway, just haven't yet.  I'm only 20, still plenty of time.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I was in the process of getting into ROTC in college. then dropped out of school. Had a couple kids and got married. still occasionally think about going down and enlisting as I'm not too old yet, but when I think about having to be away from my kids for so long I always change my mind.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
High blood sugar was enough to keep me from joining the Marines in '89.

Disappointing day spent at MEPS...only to have to go thru a full day at a path lab runnning a glucose tolerance test.

Worst couple of days in my life knowing I wasn't going to get in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not.  

I wish I did ROTC when I had the chance, but I was young and stupid.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I graduated from high school in '77 and the military was RIFfing like crazy back then (or so I was told) so I didn't go go for it. I sometimes could kick myself in the ass for not doing it anyway because I have friends that went in anyway and got good training for later civilian careers and they're making pretty decent jack now.

When I was 23 I was very seriously considering the Army reserves-had all the brochures, paperwork, etc.-but before I could do it I completely separated my left shoulder and even a year later I didn't think I could hack boot camp.

I REALLY regret my decision to NOT join the armed forces.

Could be why I have so much admiration for MOST  of those who have. (excepting Skerry and a few others)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
authority sucks.................
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
not eledgible as per recruiter (asthma)
so I serve my community as an EMT full time
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wish I had.

Not ashamed I didn't.

Proud of those that did. Thankful to them as well.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wish I had.

Not ashamed I didn't.

Proud of those that did. Thankful to them as well.

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Would you have signed up in 92-94?
I was 18 in 91.

I would now, if warranted, or maybe even in 90-91.

Look at it this way.... if Kerry were to win, would you sign up?
No wonder he is talking about a draft.

I signed up in 91, and shipped out in 92.

I see no shame in not serving, none at all. I served because I wanted to, I felt it was what I had to do because of family history and personal convictions, but I have always believed that unless there is a national crisis where every man is needed, that any country forces you to serve is not worthy of your service. Iserved so that others would not have to, if I reenlist in a couple of months as I plan to, it will be so that somebody else doesn't have to, and if you are the person who doesn't need to serve because I went in, then I am honored to do it.

God Bless you, that spirit and attitude is what makes America the greatest country in the world. I am honored to call you a fellow citizen.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I, and many like me, served so you didn't have to.  There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Be proud to be American, vote, be a good citizen, and support the troops.  

Do not be ashamed.

I am proud of my service, yes.  But I do not look down upon those who haven't served.

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I have not served in the air force or the navy (or the coasties). Does that count?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't.  I wanted to at one time, but knowing what I know now, I would not have done well in the military.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have never worn the uniform of the United States Armed Forces, but have served in many capacities:

*As an Alter Boy at my church as a child.
*As a campaign volunteer for George H.W. Bush in 1989
*As a volunteer EMT on my local rescue squad
*As a police officer
*As a volunteer with the American Red Cross

Additionally, by being a truck driver, I provide a service vital to the national defense of the USA by transporting food stuffs, manufactured goods, and US Military property across the country.

You are 110% correct.  And as a vet, I thank you for your service.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
<---- in college
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]
+2.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#19]
not old enough
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Proud tax payer, whos proud of all real Americans, in uniform or not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Asthma kept me out...  7 months after graduation I was rear ended in a traffic accident.

About 1-1/2 years after graduation (Winter of 99') I figured to keep quiet about my asthma and checked into the USMC recruiter... We PT'd and I met a few times at their office to discuss my MOS... My back was giving me pains and as luck would have it I told the recruiter that I'd need to give my back some time to heal as the DRs were telling me I had a "soft tissue" injury which would take up to or even more than a year to heal... April of 2000 I hit the floor writhing in pain.  Went to the ER and  received an MRI a few days later which revealed a ruptured L5-S1 disc. Had surgery mid-late May.

I'd still love to serve... But now that I've had surgery and sit at a desk in an office without back pains... I'll let those better suited to serve continue an excellent tradition of defending my Country.

The way I see it, my part is to ensure that those who have fought, are fighting, or will fight to defend this great country view myself as one good reason to keep up the good fight. I'm greatful for those who have, are, and will be serving as they not only serve & defend this Country- they serve & defend me.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#22]

I have not served.  I came very close to signing up with the Corps out of high school.  I ended up getting a great job and met my wife.  I still wish I had joined, but I would have never met her.  Funny thing, we were talking about my joining the Marine Corps Reserves the other day.

You never know...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#23]
In high school I was hounded by the Army, Navy, and Marines due to by high ASVAB scores. (Air Force never called me, pussies)hat So now due to my back I would be declared 4-F (or whatever it is called now). This really hurts me because my family has a long history of military service, both enlisted and commisioned. But unfortunatly problems with military service seem to run my direct paternal lineage for the past two generations (paternal grandfather drafted into navy during WW2 & contracted scarlet fever and was given a perm. deferment, father decalared 4-F  halfway through AF Basic Training due to flat feet).  So I help out whenever I can.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have never worn the uniform of the United States Armed Forces, but have served in many capacities:

*As an Alter Boy at my church as a child.
*As a campaign volunteer for George H.W. Bush in 1989
*As a volunteer EMT on my local rescue squad
*As a police officer
*As a volunteer with the American Red Cross

Additionally, by being a truck driver, I provide a service vital to the national defense of the USA by transporting food stuffs, manufactured goods, and US Military property across the country.

You are 110% correct.  And as a vet, I thank you for your service.

heh.  Thanks dude!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#25]
<---- college. Still undecided, but leaning heavily towards civvy life. Vision too bad to be a military pilot, the military is slow to accept LasiK, and all I ever wanted to do was fly. I am going to fly one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
With my medical history it is highly unlikely they would take me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#27]

I never served, but I was raised by an Army Central  Inteligence officer.

Only lived on two army bases, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma and Ft. George G. Meade, Maryland.

I tried to enter in the early eighties, but due to some DUI's, no branch would take me.

All four branches turned me down. They said they could only wave one DUI.

I also have asthma.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
No. Pre-enlisted in '69 in USAF in senior year. Failed physical in '70. Drafted into US Army 30 days later, draft lottery #32. ( Too soon for draft board to get info I'd enlisted and failed physical.) Failed draft physical.

BUT.....On 9-11-01 I'd have tried again if I thought there was a chance they'd take a 51 year old man they'd turned down twice before!!!! I'd even have offered to use my own rifle and ammo!!!!!!

Thank all of you who were able to serve and did.
Danny

( why do I feel like the oldest one on this thread?)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#29]
IV-F

Took the physical and got rejected on asthma and allergies.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm 25 and have not served.  Barring some medical condition that none of my doctors have detected before (I doubt this, I exercise and feel fine) I will be enlisted by the end of next year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep 87-93
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Never wore a uniform, but spent the last 27 years building weapons systems, visiting airbases and Army depots to troubleshoot those systems and get feedback from the airmen, POs and troops who maintain them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I havent and wont.  I respect those that do but i can help out more in the defense industry doing engineering work for company's like raytheon and cubic than i can on the battle field with my bad aim.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#34]
me, and I regret it every day since

Many problems at home which ended up in me being forced to quit school.  
17 years old and living in your car in december isn't much fun....  

And my life hasn't been much good since then anyways..... But that's a whole other depressing story....

Anyway, I went to talk to a Marine Corp. recruiter here I guess a couple years later.
Found out that they didn't take people without a H.S. diploma.......

Turned out I was just a few months too late, they had JUST changed the rules a few months prior.

There was no way I could get a GED or anything at that time in my life.  I was working  so much, just trying to be able to support myself.   Which I wasnt doing a very good job at.....

So many things have happened since then,  and now I've lost my job because of some health problems  that've pretty much turned what little life I had into nothing once again...

How I wish I could go back in time, and have walked into that office a few months earlier  Might've kept my life from turning out to be a big disappointment.

Not sure why I've wrote all this here,  Lot on my mind lately.

Really wish I was able to go.... Get knots in my stomach every time I see or hear about someone who did get hurt, etc.  wishing I was there too.......

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Another one here.
I didn't know what I wanted to do.  A bunch of friends and my little bro went navy.  I didn't like the water that much. AF was't all that interested in letting me fly.  So I lost interest.
I did ask a friend of mine 2 years ago, that is/was a marine recruter what kind of chance that I could get in.
Hell he's only a year older than me and he told me that I'm too old now.
Like some others here I did serve in other ways. Vol. Fire and rescue. Storm spotter, ect.
I look back now and wonder how my life would have changed if I would have served.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#36]
chalk up another one to asthma

i don't think it's bad enough that they would reject me, but i don't know that for certain

looking into the army right now, got an information package coming and may go talk to a recruiter this weekend and see if anything fits, though its realistically a long shot  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Have not served.  My son has joined the Airforce, my son-in-law just finished basic at Great Lakes and my daughter who is in the Army National Gaurd has orders for her unit to go to Afganistan in December. My kids have done what I wish I would have, I am proud of them. My thanks to those who have and those who still serve this GREAT country.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I couldn't find a reason NOT to join.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I didnt But I respect all of those who have and are serving.  If I was a little younger I would love to go kick some terroist ass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#41]
My dad was a Marine, Uncle Army, Uncle Airforce All went to Vietnam.

My Grandfather was in the Navy WWII

My Grandmother's two brothers where Marines in Korea

My Greatgrandfather was a Marine WWI

I just recently thanked my father and two uncles for there service to our country.  I never got a chance to  thank the others.

I regret not serving our country every time I see  an american citizen take our country for granted like they deserve "IT", everytime I see a homeless Vet or a Kid 5 years younger than me who lost his legs fighting for my freedom.  I regret not serving when I see a angry mob drag the bodies of Rangers and Delta operators through the streets of some armpit.  I regret not serving when I hear about some fucking car bomb killing American soldiers.  I regret not serving when I see pictures of a Marine barracks blown up by a truck bomb.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I started to join the ARMY and while at MEPS they told me my DICK was too big...So, I went to the Marines!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#43]
me

wish I had

respect all those that have
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#44]
i have not and NEVER will. i would rather be used by a sexy woman than uncle sam. i have finally talked my brother out of signing for another 4 years. uncle sam doesn't give a shit about HIS troops.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i have not and NEVER will. i would rather be used by a sexy woman than uncle sam. i have finally talked my brother out of signing for another 4 years. uncle sam doesn't give a shit about HIS troops.

this may go south rather quickly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#46]
A great point was brought up earlier, there are outher ways to serve.

Volunteer fire department, rescue squad, EMS.

Volunteer search and rescue

State Guard/ Militia (every state has one, some are more active than others)

And many, many others.

I deploy in January, and am away TDY for 4 months now for school, and it makes it easier to go knowing good competant folks are at home to take care of my loved ones should something bad happen.

When my house was wiped out in the flooding in NC 2 weeks ago, the fire department that I and my fiance both volunteer for was there, and I had no doubts they would rise to the occaision... and they did. My fiance spent the whole night as our home flooded helping evacuate people and rescue them from the swift water, then went in to her job as an EMT in the morning before the flood waters had even receded from the house.

I'll put her service up against mine or anyone I serve with any day.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I tried to get into the Navy and the Air Force however I was to "heavy" otherwise known as fat.  Since then I have started to loose the weight and what not.. which brings me to my question..

Now that I have a career, one that I like, what are the laws concerning working people who want to join the reserves?  Does your employer have to keep your job open for you while you go through boot camp?

Yes, they do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
chalk up another one to asthma

i don't think it's bad enough that they would reject me, but i don't know that for certain

looking into the army right now, got an information package coming and may go talk to a recruiter this weekend and see if anything fits, though its realistically a long shot  

Stop drinking and start running until you puke.  Pushups and situps too.   48 hours between similar workouts.
Research THOROUGHLY of  sports nutrition.  Drink water until it is running out your ears.

ok, now you're just talking crazy
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Thats classified
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top