BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Zaphod,

This is probably not a polite thing to ask, but do you look latino and speak Spanish really fluently?
If you do, that will work on your favor BIG TIME.

I went to Mexico DF for work a couple of years ago, and while I don't look "Mexican", my Spanish genes are here, so I  don't looked completely "gringo", and if you add the fact that I speak Spanish, I was looked as another latin guy.

I am Cuban, and as such I speak Spanish fluently and without an accent (well, a CUBAN one, but certainly not an American one). OTOH, I look 100% pure gringo. It's a combination that comes in handy, let me tell you, because I'm the one with the advantage (they think I don't know what they're saying when I do).

Also, I am not an Ugly American. I am a firm believer in doing as the Romans do when in Rome. Seeing as my tenure on Mexican soil will be the 10 minutes it takes me to get from the border to the plant (if that), I'm not worried about ruffling too many feathers.

My worry is the lawless asshole federaly who didn't get any last night and wants to cover his costs for the drinks that didn't work on his bitch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Parrandero,

I, too, am somewhat leary about some of the claims made here. I know some are true, some are exagerations, and some are BS. The thing is, I'm trying to find the TRUTH.

I know that crossing the border isn't going to be a slice of paradise, but I want to know if it's going to be a nightmare. Firearms is an easy issue. Having to take a shitty car because the federales may like my Trooper is another. I can live with the first. I'll ask my company for a company car id the second is true.

If the claim of no knives in Nuevo Laredo is true, I need to know, because I always carry a Leatherman or Benchmade. I have an Ontario RAT knife in my truck with another Leatherman in its sheath. Etc...

My last company had many people who crossed the border daily at El Paso. None ever had any problems so long as they followed the speed limit. Even when pulled over, a quick $25 "gift" was enough to let them go. I don't like it, but that sounds more reasonable than having to consider making a run NORTH to the border because some cop doesn't like my Florida license plate.

So there's the rub. I've not been to a border town, and the LAST thing I EVER plan to do is get drunk in Mexico (or anywhere else, for that matter). What I'm trying to do is sperate reality from the "You're doomed DOOMED, I say!" stories from the other end of the spectrum.

The border towns are in a world all of their own. Check with your prospective employer or someone working there in a similar situation, they should be able to give you some insight. Until you have things sorted out with some on site information I would refrain from taking any knife or anything that could be considered a weapon until you can evaluate the situation once you get there.  Are you talking about Laredo? Expect a long wait crossing at certain times of the day, early morning and late afternoon are the worst.  There are 2 bridges in Loredo that cross into downtown Nuevo Laredo and the Colombia bridge upstream about 20-25 miles. Where is the plant located? Will you be living in Laredo? If you want, IM or email me your phone number and I can give you a call with more information, doesn't cost me anything for the call.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was just over at the State Department web site, and they state, "Do not bring firearms or ammunition into Mexico without written permission from the Mexican Government." (emphasis mine).

So, Does anyone have any idea what this "written permission" would be, or how to get it, or even find out if it's possible?

!

When they ask, "Donde es pistole?" you give em the universal mexican get out of jail card": Its the only "written Permission" you will need...

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Until you have things sorted out with some on site information I would refrain from taking any knife or anything that could be considered a weapon until you can evaluate the situation once you get there.

Amen, brother!

Are you talking about Laredo?

Yes.

Where is the plant located? Will you be living in Laredo?

From what I've been told, the drive from a home in Laredo to the gate of the plant is a matter of 15 minutes. Coming back across depends on the time of day, to be sure.

Yes, I'll be living in Laredo. No way in hell I'll live in Mexico. If I can find the type of home I'm looking for on the outskirts of Laredo, I'll do it. I'm not big on living in towns anymore...

As soon as I have an offer, I'll send you my info. No sense in wasting your time unless I have that in hand. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
remember...

they dont have OUR BILL O RIGHTS down there...

i've been there 3 times...decided a 4th isnt needed in my lifetime.

This coming from a man who stalks Bigfoot.  

If Mexico is worse than running headlong into a 1000lb ape, then I would pay attention.

Heed his words, grasshopper.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was just over at the State Department web site, and they state, "Do not bring firearms or ammunition into Mexico without written permission from the Mexican Government." (emphasis mine).

Yeah, like "written permission" will get you anywhere.  The guy in Phoenix that had ammo in his trunk and was in the Mexican prison for months without seeing a judge or anybody.  The family finally got the Mexican government to say they'd release him, so they went down to pick him up...only to have the prison say something like, "Badges? We don't need no steenking badges!"...er...I mean, the prison didn't follow what the federal government said, so it was another month or two to get him out.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, like "written permission" will get you anywhere.  The guy in Phoenix that had ammo in his trunk and was in the Mexican prison for months without seeing a judge or anybody.  The family finally got the Mexican government to say they'd release him, so they went down to pick him up...only to have the prison say something like, "Badges? We don't need no steenking badges!"...er...I mean, the prison didn't follow what the federal government said, so it was another month or two to get him out.  

It is possible that you are missing some important facts.  I have no personal knowledge of this particular case but such conduct is not likely unless:

1.  someone wants a few $$ OR
MORE LIKELY
2.  the Phoenix guy was being an ass**** to the Mexican police

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is possible that you are missing some important facts.  I have no personal knowledge of this particular case but such conduct is not likely unless:

1.  someone wants a few $$ OR
MORE LIKELY
2.  the Phoenix guy was being an ass**** to the Mexican police

I'm going from memory, so there's probably multiple facts missing...but that's my wife's job to pick those out.

The story was on the news off and on here in Phoenix a few years back...I think this is the guy:

http://www.gunlaws.com/mexico.htm

...which proves I screwed up a fact...total Mexican prison time turned out to be 47 days.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
A few fellow Marines and I would go about once a year to buy cheap Tiquila and maybe a blanket or two but we were always told to travel in groups and not to get seperated from each other , even in the bathrooms. One guy goes in EVERYBODY goes in. That was enough for me. I always felt that something was about to happen . My condition yellow would never stop and sometimes went to orange when either a group of young men or the police would follow us. Which happened more than once. If you do decide to take the job, you can always use the rule of "weapons of oppertunity", or you can practice your sprinting ability. Either way you know about the best way to take care of yourself if you can't carry. I hope this helps. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am Cuban, and as such I speak Spanish fluently and without an accent (well, a CUBAN one, but certainly not an American one).

Uh, Zaphod....

They don't exactly speak Spanish on the border... more like a Spangleesh.  But you'll do fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Zaphod - I am heading to Juarez next week. I'll ask around while I'm there. Last time I was there I remember seeing signs of a pistol with the strike through circle around it ALL over the place. Don't know if each state has its own (differing) laws or if it is a National thing. I know Juarez is so crime ridden that the Federales (National Police) stand guard on the street corners at night with automatic weapons. Not a good scene.

Obviously, my experience is in Juarez only. I don't know if Laraedo is different, but crossing into Juarez is pretty easy and gets easier as they begin to recognize you and you them. Getting back into the states can take 2-3 HOURS depending on time of day.

Notice you are USNA 91. I was USAFA 90.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah! Mexico.....Corrupt governtment officials, rampant crime, kidnappings.....when you get into trouble you cant count on the mexican police to show up.......and if they do show up; most likely things would only get worse for you.

Mexico is a prime example that makes me appreciate the right to bear arms!  

If thier gov't wouldn't give me permission to carry,  I wouldn't go....plain and simple.  No greenbacks for them!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Notice you are USNA 91. I was USAFA 90.

Well, nobody's perfect!

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Mexico, like most turd world countries, sucks.  Their government is totally illegitimate and corrupt since it does not recognize basic human Rights.

As such, I don't understand why any American would want to visit there.  There is so much to see and do here in the United States, especially out West.  But that is just me personally.

If you decide to visit mexico, stay safe and don't drink the water.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Just drive this:

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound trollish, but if I was in Mexico (a place I've only been to once) and a single cop tried to shake me down for any amount of money or threatened to cart me off to jail for a spent bullet, I'd beat him down!!!  I'm not letting some little piece of shit attempt to extort money I don't have under the penalty of near certain death in one of their shithole jails.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Gilby Clarke
Tijuana Jail lyrics

Welcome to salvation, my Tequila's my companion for this evening of
oblivion
Everyone around me, kinda bores me, it makes me lonely with the friends
I never had
Packing up my Mustang cuz' this city has no heart, it sucks you in and
spits you out
Patiently I'm seeking my destination is unknown, I followed the road
down to Mexico
Sorry Mr.Officer I think you got it wrong,
I'm just a lonely ol' Texas boy and I wanna get on home
He smiled and said "senor you're not in Texas anymore
Send my love to my home but send my mail to a Tijuana Jail
Staring at the ceiling of my jail cell it's my home, at least for now,
it seems like forever
Sleeping on the floor with the rats, crawling up my ass, I'm gonna kill
that officer
Sorry Mr. Officer but I'm gonna get revenge, on this side of the border
20 pesos get you dead
He smiled and said "senor I think I'll drink to your threats"
Send my love to my home, but sent my mail to a Tijuana Jail
In my destitution suicides a solution, but I'm a gambler, and I'm not
cashed in
The sun is going down and my problems will be solved by dawn, but not by
justice
I smelled liquor on his breath, I knew this is my last chance, I begged
give a dying man his last drink
He handed me a glass with just the worm and he laughed I pulled a
switchblade from my boot and shoved it in
his throat
Sorry Mr. Officer I think you got it wrong, I'm a lonely ol' Texas boy
and I wanna get on home
He smiled and said "senor you're not in Texas anymore"
Send my love to my home but send my mail to a Texas Jail.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been to Mexico a few times and I'll never go any were close to the border again. I might fly into some place well south of the border but that's it. To many bad nights, fights, dirty cops, missing buddies, drugs, TB and scam artists. I hold the record for my group of buddies as the only one to be arrested twice and let go twice in one night. No money cause I was broke, just talked my way out of it. The bastards stole my zippo and gave me a book of matches though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just drive this:
community.webshots.com/s/image4/3/0/44/70530044uePQXE_ph.jpg

Hell, I wish I had that for MIAMI!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been detained at the border crossing, NOT fun. I travel across to Reynosa quite often for work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I haven't had any problems going to Nogales or Douglas here, but I stayed within 2-3 blocks of the port of entry and stayed out of questionable places and situations.

In fact, I'm about out of Cuban rum and need to make a Nogales run.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound trollish, but if I was in Mexico (a place I've only been to once) and a single cop tried to shake me down for any amount of money or threatened to cart me off to jail for a spent bullet, I'd beat him down!!!  I'm not letting some little piece of shit attempt to extort money I don't have under the penalty of near certain death in one of their shithole jails.

Good luck but I think that I'd rather kick in $20 to the officer's salary fund (they get paid crap anyway) than to get the crap beat out of me -- or worse.  That "single cop" will turn into an Army pretty quick.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#23]
PHEW!

Look like I WON'T be going to Mexico after all!

Apparently, my new company will be sending me to the Raleigh-Durham area of NC!

Woo-hoo!

So....... How much do I need to bribe a NC state trooper?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd contact the police chief of the area I would be in and "grease the wheels" of bureaucracy.
Remember, in Mexico the police force is considered an entrepreneur industry.
To put it bluntly, you can do just about whatever you want if you pay the right people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#25]
The only way I'm going into Mexico  is to drive the bastards out of Arizona, back to their shit hole... bayonet first!!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I will never set foot in Mexico.........unless I'm kicking all the illegals out of this country!!

+1 I don't travel to states (or countries) that are not gun friendly. I have relatives in Kommiefornia that I haven't seen in years... And Mexico? Yea right... "Sir, let me see your hands and slowly step away from the crack pipe."  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

the princely sum of 2000 pesos, but you have to go down there to testify

So, like, $5?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top