Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 3:00:48 PM EDT
How difficult is it for a resident or non-resident to get a carry permit in NY City (I realize it's a discretionary thing there)?

If you have done so are there magic words, lawyers who can help, etc. that makes it more likely that you could obtain such a carry permit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It's my understanding that...

You must walk on water, part the Red Sea, and raise the dead before you are rejected.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Before rejected or before granted?  Seriously, I want a practical answer.  I.e., it's impossible, possible if you know a cop, easier if you're a res or non-res, or easier if you say (I must move negotiable instrumetns and large somes of money) etc. etc.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to prove that you have a job that requires you to carry huge summs of cash receipts.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The ONLY way you will get a CCW is if you are a cop, of if a National Reciprocity law passes.

Short of that, forget about it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you say that I teach CHL classes out of state, or police tactics, or some such thing and just incorporate as a company that does that?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
No.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in 1992-94 I had one of those NYC Limited carry permits. It cost me $1000 lwyrs fee. Multiple trips to One police plaza. And I had to prove that I carried about $10,000 in cash to the bank a few times a week.... Beleive me when I say only Jesus himself gets a real CCP in NYC....True story all this nonsense for a LIMITED Carry permit. Definatly not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Chances for a non-celebrity, non-politically connected, or (all too often) non-organized crime comnnected, are just about non existant.
People wanting permits first hire a lawyer who specializes in getting permits.  This should tell you something.  The police issue at their descression, and they've been told not to 'descress'.  The politico's don't want ordinary citizens having guns, so they make it as difficult as possible, while still making it possible to give them to their 'friends' as favors.
On the other hand, if you KNOW someone, or know who to 'grease', you can probably get one.
If you are any kind of average citizen, it doesn't matter how good your reason is, you won't get one.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely forget about a non-res.  They don't issue them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top