Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 12:19:05 PM EDT
Howdy!

I currently live in Wisconsin and just graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration (BBA) in Management.  I want to get a law degree, and perhaps a MBA as well.

I've got some severe allergies.  Twice a year (beginning of spring and fall), I'm out of commission for a week while my nostrils solid up and my windpipe shrinks by 2/3 or so.  I've also got this wonderful ... "stuff" ... that drains down my throat and into my stomach.  

I also dislike snow, cold, and hate the lack of sunlight.

I want out and have decided on the southwest.  I've always loved that area; my allergies go down to nothing, it's not cold, and there's sun.

Where you get your law degree is generally where you practice law.  Thus, I'm [b]not[/b] returning to the University of Wisconsin system and getting a law degree from UW-Madison; that means more time here.

I've decided that Arizona (for the Arizona State University and the University of Arizona law programs) or Texas (for the University of Texas at Austin law programs and the other law schools) would be best.  I discounted both New Mexico and Nevada due to their lone schools' lackluster law programs.  (Moving there later on may well be in the cards.  However, this won't happen for at least 5-6 years.)  I have looked at Utah, but I dislike how tightly the Mormons control the state and state politics.

Does anyone have any advice for me?  Is anyone familiar with Tempe or Tucson, Arizona?  How about Austin, Texas?

[b][i]ANY information and advice is appreciated![/i][/b]

Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Gloftoe, ain't kidding about the allergies.  I live in San Antonio, and my wife used to get them so bad she was bedridden.  I would turn into an inner ear infection and her equalibrium would be out of whack.  She would get so bad that even laying in bed she thought she was falling.  Doctor told her " when it looks nice and clear out side and there is a nice breeze out, stay indoors".  My younger brother used to be real bad also.  He now lives in Albuquerque for the past 5 years and has had no problems. I'm not trying to run you out of Texas but I'd hate to see you have sinus problems.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not trying to burst your bubble (for all I know you could be a genius), but I would keep my options open to more than just those 3 schools.

All three are very highly ranked, and tough to get into.

Again, maybe you won't have any problem, but just food for thought, in case you need a fall back plan.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
What Gloftoe and RTA said.  The Texas Hill Country is allergy Hell!  I'm from Houston and never had allergies until I moved to San Antonio.  The pollen on the juniper trees is so bad, one time the wind was blowing and I thought my house was on fire.  The "smoke" turned out to be the juniper pollen.  If you have "severe allergies", and move to this area, you may not die, but you'll wish you were dead.  Other than that, this area is a great place to live.  Maybe Houston, Dallas or maybe El Paso would be better for you?

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
On the plus side, you'll see plenty of sunlight and about zero snow or cold in San Antonio.

On the minus side, your allergies will go berserk.  I moved to N TX, after growing up in the SF area, in 1986.  I never had the hint of an allergy until I got to TX.  Within 6 months, I was at the allergist every couple of months for more drugs.  Allergies get worse the longer your exposure.  

If your choices are TX or AZ only, I think I'd check out AZ.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me weigh in here with a vote for Arizona. I've lived in both Tucson (college) and the Phoenix-metro area. I'd go to Tucson and the U of AZ (which I did). Tucson is a much smaller city, less crime-infested and a more pleasant place to live than the Phoenix-metro area (Tempe/ASU). No contest. Can't speak for the colleges in Texas, though I have lived there and enjoyed it as well. You would not regret going to the University of Arizona in Tucson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top