Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I hate pork products. I've heard of more rent-a-cops getting killed.

Mods?  WTF?  Nice...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You find that concept funny? Tell that to the officers who have to put up with that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I do not think there is any comparison between a cop who is feloniously murdered, Vs a logger or farmer who is killed by his own careless actions.

Exclude occupational accidents from your statistics. The most dangerous jobs will be military, LE, taxi driver, and night shift store clerk.

Obviously for a cop to be murdered he had to have slipped up some how in his job performance, so I'd call that his own careless actions.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
[As a LEO, I've never argued that police work is THE most dangerous out there, although it has its' inherent dangers.
The real danger in LE, as any police veteran will tell you, are the MENTAL dangers.
Cops deal with the common aggravations of any job, and on top of that theres the backbiting, politics within the dept, the hours, the constant adrenlin dumps, the very real possibility of lawsuits, departments not backing their officers....I could go on, but if I haven't made  my point by now I won't.
I know many a cop with stress induced health problems, we rank real high in divorce, alchoholism, premature cynicism, the list goes on.
The problem is, by the time a lot of this catches up with an officer, he's got too much time invested in his department to quit.
I hope I don't come across as some kind of whiner by pointing some of this out, I'm responsible for the gig I chose.

This I believe.

Adrenelin dumps followed by having to calm down too fast must be hell on the heart.
LEO disease is cardiac arrest, traffic accident, divorce, alcoholism etc.

Incidentally, the funniest (stupidest) thing I ever saw a LEO do was in Kodiak, AK during crab season. He walked into Tony's and started whining about how dangerous being a LEO was.

The fleet was IN PORT. (for those of you that don't get it, about 90% of the patrons in Tony's at the time were Bering Sea/Kodiak King Crab fishermen. Take it from there.)

A coupla weeks later, he tried to play tough guy with one of the fishermen that laughed at him.

Knocked silly. Kodiak Hospital. Ouch.

The perp? He walked. (about 2 dozen fishermen SWORE the fisherman acted in self-defense. He did, actually.)

it's sort of a funny story, Maybe I'll post it some night. I've told a couple LEOs and they somewhat agree that the guy had it coming.

OTOH, maybe I WON'T post it because some of you LEO bashers will turn the thread into a real circus.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's the facts.

I used to work gathering work-related stats for the Los Angeles County, being in the LE is was relatively safe, of the people working in the safety series jobs, the fireman at that time was the most dangerous because you breathe all of those fumes and gases.

Many jobs and job sites are littered with hazards. Some visable like in construction, and some invisable as in fumes in industry/mechanical work etc. One hazard cival servants do not face is a life with no retirement/benefits. I know down here they walk after 20 with +/- 70 percent.

Training, benifits, union protection.... My profession,  nada.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's the facts.

I used to work gathering work-related stats for the Los Angeles County, being in the LE is was relatively safe, of the people working in the safety series jobs, the fireman at that time was the most dangerous because you breathe all of those fumes and gases.

Many jobs and job sites are littered with hazards. Some visable like in construction, and some invisable as in fumes in industry/mechanical work etc. One hazard cival servants do not face is a life with no retirement/benefits. I know down here they walk after 20 with +/- 70 percent.

Training, benifits, union protection.... My profession,  nada.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tcd1236, If your attitude on the streets is anything close to what it is on this board, it wouldn't surprise me that these things are happening to you. I'd be surprised if they wern't.

Roy

Attitude? I don't have an attitude on this board. If anything, I am quite civil with you people.If you read more into my posts than simple informational posting,its you with the issue. And you fail to address my point that those things happen to officers, while they do NOT happen to people in other career fields.

DA's, lawyers,drug dealers,bikers(no not rubes) politicians, judges,etc.,etc.,etc.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Oy, could we please give the TOKEN COP HATER "Cops have a Dangerous Job" let's argue over who has a bigger penis crap a rest.

That felt great to say! OK, back to baking cookies now
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I will admit the thought of rolling up on a domestic call would give me pause.  Never know what you are going to find, and if the 'wronged' spouse is suddenly going to decide that only YOU are standing between them and his/her love of their life.

Now that is definitely hazardous.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tcd1236, If your attitude on the streets is anything close to what it is on this board, it wouldn't surprise me that these things are happening to you. I'd be surprised if they wern't.

Roy

Attitude? I don't have an attitude on this board. If anything, I am quite civil with you people.If you read more into my posts than simple informational posting,its you with the issue. And you fail to address my point that those things happen to officers, while they do NOT happen to people in other career fields.

DA's, lawyers,drug dealers,bikers(no not rubes) politicians, judges,etc.,etc.,etc.

Roy

Don't forget business owners who criminals suspect may have $$ at home, bankers and jewlers who are taken from home to work, abortion doctors, etc.

In fact, in my area in the last 10 years we have had business owners, bankers, DA's, and others targeted in thier homes due to their jobs, but not cops.

But, like many other things LE just makes a much, much bigger deal of it when it happens to them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i got a paper cut, once.

it was a nasty boo-boo.

Me too! Oh, the horror!!! [sobbing]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
We're not having another LEO bashfest--6.) Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top