Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The first of the year comment is because Congress has untill the new congress takes over after the elections to finish up on any legislation that was pending durring thier session that they did not get around to, after that totally new legislation must be started. So any time before the first of the year they can re-up the crime bill and make it re-troactive back to the expiration date which would then ban all the post ban guns and magazines that were sold legally durring that short time.

BS.  Can you cite any legal authority for this propisition?  This Congress is no better position than any other Congress to reinstate the ban.  The next Congress could reinstate the ban and make it retroactive to 9/13/04, or retroactive to 9/13/1789 if they wanted.  Either way, the same ex post facto and takings issues would still arise.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Legit question: why is it that so many gun dealers are extremely ignorant of firearms law & trends in the market place?

It's literally their business to stay informed about such matters, but time & again we hear horror stories about stupid, rude, and ill-informed gun dealers who seem intent on driving away paying customers through their actions.

Seriously, how do these folks stay in business???
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can order some SIG mags that aren't $40?

try:
fourfourmag.com   or similar
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#4]
There should be a yearly compatency test for gun dealers involving local and federal laws...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Because there is always some dumbass who walks in the door and believes all they tell him since he does not know any better.

How about the guys who go to an auction and buy something then come on a message board asking "what's it worth?" Then they find out they paid $200 for a $100 gun. I went to a firearms auction about 1-2 years ago and a guy paid $175 plus 10% buyers premium plus a $10 background check for a very well used Ruger 10/22 rifle just like he could have bought at the Walmart next door for about $125 new in the box.

For every guy that frequents this board, and others like it, there are 10 guys (or more) who never have or get a clue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a different take on this.  

Crooked dealers are NOT your friend, in fact, they are an active enemy, and should be slammed.  Dealers are not going to clean house themselves,  so it's up to the customer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Legit question: why is it that so many gun dealers are extremely ignorant of firearms law & trends in the market place?

It's literally their business to stay informed about such matters, but time & again we hear horror stories about stupid, rude, and ill-informed gun dealers who seem intent on driving away paying customers through their actions.

ok studly how many of the 6,000+ firearms laws do you know off the top of your head?

Thing about it this way, dealers have the ATF saying its A, customers who live off the internet say its B, and then they lawyer says its a combo of A,B and a little C, so how much of your lively hood( not to mention possible jail time) do you want to put on the line? Having worked with dealers and in gunshops I have seen both sides, those who are on the game, and those who don't know squat.  I enjoy hearing all the new rulings that joe public comes up with.  last week I heard this one " The BATF is going to do away with the $200 NFA transfer fee because it is too expensive, and all you have to do  it fill out the paperwork and send it in, its instantly approved"  Now mulitiply that time 10x more idiots that day with something as goofy then times the days a week you are open.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I struck a nerve!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think I struck a nerve!

is that all you can say?  I figured you could come up with something better, so let me ask how long have you been a gun dealer? People bash Steyr Aug a bit for his insite to the biz, but he is pretty much on target, if you think you can do a better job go pull a FFL and show us
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool your jets & grow a sense of humor Jimmyjoebob... of course there is ignorance & stupidity on both sides of the counter. I never said there wasn't.

Point is however; it is the JOB of a gun dealer to be knowledgeable about firearms laws. They directly & completely affect his day-to-day business practices. The average Joe goes to his local gun store expecting that the dealer is competent & reasonably well versed in the legal details of buying, selling, & owning guns.

That's not an unreasonable expectation, is it???

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I may have mentioned this before, but, we have a gunshow here this weekend. I truly cannot wait to walk in there and see these assholes either refusing to admit the ban is sunsetting or trying to squeeze the last bit of money out of the F ed over crap that they peddle. I will laugh at these guys selling $150 preban mags that will cost $25 bucks Monday morning. I can hear it now "oh...but, but...these are preban".

Going to one here too, Im wondering what I will see.

+1.  Icehouse show this weekend. For the last 5 years these guys' prices on EVERYTHING have been WAY out of line. I can't wait to see what the prices are.

AB
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The first of the year comment is because Congress has untill the new congress takes over after the elections to finish up on any legislation that was pending durring thier session that they did not get around to, after that totally new legislation must be started. So any time before the first of the year they can re-up the crime bill and make it re-troactive back to the expiration date which would then ban all the post ban guns and magazines that were sold legally durring that short time.

BS.  Can you cite any legal authority for this propisition?  This Congress is no better position than any other Congress to reinstate the ban.  The next Congress could reinstate the ban and make it retroactive to 9/13/04, or retroactive to 9/13/1789 if they wanted.  Either way, the same ex post facto and takings issues would still arise.

They can pass a law saying "any rifle with the evil features made after 9/13/1994" is banned. If you have such a weapon, it must be made to comply with the law, or else turned in to be destroyed. This includes weapons legally sold/made between 9/14/2004 and today. Sorry Mr. and Mrs. America ... at least we didn't say turn them all in. Have a nice day.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can pass a law saying "any rifle with the evil features made after 9/13/1994" is banned. If you have such a weapon, it must be made to comply with the law, or else turned in to be destroyed. This includes weapons legally sold/made between 9/14/2004 and today. Sorry Mr. and Mrs. America ... at least we didn't say turn them all in. Have a nice day.

no they cant
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no they cant

Sure, if you're saying "it won't happen" I agree.

But they could. The only thing stopping them is the 2nd amendment, and fear of you enforcing it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Most of their customers are even more ignorant.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no they cant

Sure they can.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no they cant

Sure, if you're saying "it won't happen" I agree.

But they could. The only thing stopping them is the 2nd amendment, and fear of you enforcing it.

They could pass such a law, and so could the next congress or any congress after that.  They could pass a law banning all guns manufactured since 1789 if they wanted to.  Hineline's point was that this Congress was somehow different than any other Congress, which is simply not true.

If they ban existing guns, they could not impose criminal sanctions ex post facto.  It does not matter which Congress passes the law.  That does not mean you get to keep your gun, but they can not criminalize possession before the law was in effect.

Also, there may be some takings (5th amendment) issues if they ban exisiting weapons.  That is one of the reasons they always grandfather.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no they cant

Sure they can.

They did it in NYC,with impunity. And they threw in some door to door confiscation for good measure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no they cant

Sure they can.

They did it in NYC,with impunity. And they threw in some door to door confiscation for good measure.

NYC aint the Federal Govt
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I like you... You make my pee pee happy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I like you... You make my pee pee happy.

fucking queer  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a different take on this.  

Crooked dealers are NOT your friend, in fact, they are an active enemy, and should be slammed.  Dealers are not going to clean house themselves,  so it's up to the customer.

Amen!

I think people are being overly harsh on ARDunstan.  First, he didn't call the ATF.  Second that dealer is a real scumbag.  He's perfectly willing to break the law (I know, it's a bad law) to make a quick buck, but is he willing to go and take the fall for the unwitting guy who buys the mag and gets nailed by the ATF?  I doubt it.

Johninaustin is right, we need these guys taken down.  The last thing we need is a bad dealer selling to some guy who wants to go on a shooting spree in the nation's capital or something similar.  After the "Beltway Sniper" events in DC, the media tried to villify all dealers as being shady and "under the table" dealers.  The last thing we need is for them to have real evidence of that.  Just imagine how much harder it would be for legitimate, honest dealers to get an FFL.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top