Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2001 7:37:26 PM EDT
Here is what has been happening lately:

I have 8 days, (5 business days) until I ship.

My recruiter has yet to promote me to E2 for the two recruits I got him.

I have yet to be payed $96 for drill over 2 months ago, even after repeated talks with my finance sgt. (who is currently at some training school), and the $96 from drill over a month ago.  

Is the military always full of this much BS?  I need that goddamn money because someone just fucking drained my account $150 dollars, or overcharged or something.  That was my money to buy running shoes for basic training, and other stuff I need.  ARGH!!!!!!

James
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't mean to sound like a prick, but you should of went Army Reserve.  When I was in (early 90's) my drill pay was automatically deposited into my savings account in less than ten days after the drill was over.  

When you get to the reception station, they will issue you all your needed items (clothes), give you a hair cut and advance you some pay to purchase needed personal items.  You may buy the running shoes with this money, if you do not already have them.  

When you ship, make sure that you have a copy (make a dozen copies) of your orders that prove that you are an E2.  They should be able to square that away for you when you hit basic.  

Good luck.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, National Guard DOES also direct deposit pay around 10 days after drill. Have you escalated the problem to your platoon leader or 1st Sgt?

As for the E2. Things don't always happen real fast in the Army. Its a big organization and sometimes pretty sluggish. If it were me, I would maybe wait until after basic. Anything that draws attention to yourself in basic is generally bad. And anything that makes you different from everyone else makes you stand out. Everyone else (for the most part)will be E1s.

See if you can maybe go as an E1 and then have the promation backdated to your ship date after basic. That way you will get the back pay also.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it from those who have been or currently are in the service: You can't spell bullsh*t without U.S. ARMY!
Seriously, both of my grandpop's were in the service during the Korean War and they said that the proper military term is chickensh*t because it really is stuff that is meaningless that the powers at be tend to focus on while the stuff that really matters seems to go by the wayside until some crisis errupts.
Do everything you can to get it squared away even if it means going to the CO. If he can't seem to find his ass with both hands go to the CSM and he will fix it! If that does not work carefully consider the IG. Carefully!
Remember that your NCO is the one who should have your best welfare at heart and mind. Anything less than that means that they are not worthy of being the 'back bone of the army'.
In my best mocking drill sargeant voice: "SUCK IT UP & DRIVE ON PRIVATE!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I spent 8 years in the National Guard.  While you get good training, via the US Army, the Guard is full of bullshit.  They told me that I needed to be a medic.  I asked them what medics did, and they said "Hang around nurses, and pass out dope".  Then they stuck me with an Infantry Battalion. No nurses, no dope.

If it makes sense, the Guard won't do it.  Just remember that, and you shouldn't run into too many suprises.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I joined the Georgia Guard in 1997.  The Army does NOT issue running shoes for basic training. You NEED to take a good pair.  They do issue everything else except personal sundries.  The Guard is bad about not paying their soldiers on time, but you WILL get paid.  I went in as an E-4 b/c I had college. Most recriuts are at least E-2, so you will not stand out b/c of your stripes, get them before you go, so you will get the $.  Squeaky wheel definately gets the grease.  Make enough noise, and you will eventually get what's coming to you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Show up with some pocket money and a change of clothes with some personal hygiene items. Keep it simple. You will buy whatever you need from the shoppette right there at your reception unit - even before Basic Training really starts.

The best planning you can do is to get yourself in a modicum of shape and get a good night's sleep before you fly - you will likely be up the next 24 - 48 hours.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Just suck on it. I used to bitch to my well connected grandfather in a letter home when I was in Navy bootcamp about the required use of BS ZEST soap. It made me itch as hell. Now it seemed like a silly beef. I understand the need for the money and all that, but things will work out, I'm sure.

I remember the time I shipped from Hawaii to Iceland. I was supposed to get $1200 in travel pay. When I got to Iceland, I got 2 X $1200. Shhhhhhhhhhh!! That's a secret.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top