Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2001 7:29:26 PM EDT
If i were to build an ar out of a parts kit with a total of about $500, using parts from one of the places in SGN, how good of a rifle would i have?  WOuld it jam alot?  What is a parts kit AR worth?  Who would i want to order parts from?  I am sortof looking for eithor a mock m4 or a full stock A2.  Mabe something sort of like the LEGP rifle what would that cost.

thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased a PWA lower and a E2 kit from Model 1. I have not had any problems with it yet and it cost me about 525.00 total. It shoots good and no jams.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Zip i have 2 ARs built from parts kits, the first one is a 20" on a PWA lower and the second one is a 16" M4gery buit on a Rock Rivers lower, both of the kits came from J&T distributing. The 20" has about 4-6000 rnds through it with out a problem, except it doesn't like barnul ammo, the 16" only has a few hundred rounds through it as i've only had it to the range twice. if you want to see photos of them i have some posted in the industry forums under J&T
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Zip,
I've got an M&A kit gun on a Bushmaster lower and all works well. I would like to upgrade to a BM barrel but I only shoot once a month and at that rate the kit barrel is not going to wear out. If you plan to use the weapon for duty, 3-gun or to attend some school I would use the best parts that I could afford. Just remember that a lot of the small stuff (spings, pins, stocks) come from only one or two different companies.
Enjoy,
-XM15
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the advice.  So who has the best deals and quaility.  Im thinking about doing this because, a bushmaster is about $750 in my area and that is just to right now, as i need mags and ammo still.  Im thinking about a parts kit AR or anoter AK.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My only ar is a frankengun built on an oly reciever.  I didn't put it together but I'm pretty sure it has an oly barrel because it has the comp ridge at the front.  It is has a 16" free floated barrel and the finish sucks. The guy put some black looking finish but it was ugly so I stripped it all off.  Looks better but it sure aint pretty.  It shoots well and has never had a jam.  As I am in CA it is all I got and can have, but it shoots as well as my bro's preban colt.

Don't worry about a parts gun, it will shoot well (check your gas rings) and you will have the satisfaction of building it yourself.  I am jealous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top