Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
hey cap ya need night vison ? im a youkon dealer tell me what ya want i will get it for you at cost they start at about 250 for a  titanium gen 1 rifle scope im me your phone # and i will  go over what is avalible  ....Tom
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do private citizens in FLA have arresting powers in cases of looting?

Not sure on the written laws, but....

as long as my flash hider is planted in their chest, a looter better   consider himself arrested.  

Stay Safe pooby!

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Its getting pretty sporty out here and power has been out for a short periond. Like just now. I'll post this quick thanks to my UPS.
Had another visitor last night at 3am. The guy whos watching the entrance called me and I grabbed my pants and gun and rushed out but they left when they saw him and were gone when I got there.  Its extremely unlikely these people are lost or they might just ask for directions when they see us not turn and run. Plus, this just aint a place where you get lost.
schorn, I will be in touch after we ride this thing out. Thanks for the offer. Where are you in Fl?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Getting momentary power-outs, I figure I'll lose it soon. Managed to get a pot of java brewed and I'm going to have a cup and make a sweep of the area. Whoa! Heavy gust there! Its coming boys and the kitty knows somethings afoot, she sticks to me like glue. Might be time for kitty prison soon.
I'll try to keep posting as long as its safe and I have power.
I might not go outside.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Stay safe Capt. and keep the looters at bay!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Got a laser ?

Light'em up next time they show.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Did anyone bag any looters last time?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Got a laser ?

Light'em up next time they show.  

I bought one of those cheap BSA laser "sights" for just this purpose. I won't bother mounting the POS on a weapon, but I use it to scare kids at the playground across the street when they're out there lighting off fireworks at 2 in the morning on a weeknight and I'm trying to sleep.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Channel 8 has video tape on now of looters and their arrests!!!! Get some!!!!! Fucking shitbags!
Good catch by the channel 8 photog, he was on his own, not even working at the time!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Hang on down there I have MY M4 sitting here waiting for some dumb ass thives to come around. I wish I could help you keep them at bay. Good luck and stay safe
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I read it before and I now see his affinity for night vision. I'm buying some after this one.

+1

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Channel 8 has video tape on now of looters and their arrests!!!! Get some!!!!! Fucking shitbags!
Good catch by the channel 8 photog, he was on his own, not even working at the time!

Captain,
I can be there in about 1 1/2 hours.  Let me know...

I also have a good friend there in Zeph.  We can help do patrols...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#16]
This is stupid. I was just posting to nakedgunman in another thread and I heard a truck outside. I cant figure out why he didnt want talk to me when I got outside! He just left in a rush, go figure.
Its raining too hard sometimes to hear these guys I may have to set an ambush. Next guy is not getting away without a chat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Do private citizens in FLA have arresting powers in cases of looting?

I didn't think you had to bother with arresting them.

At least up here in '72 after the flood my mom and dad remember some issues with looting that were solved by civilians, NG, and the word that anybody looting was going to be shot.

It's why my mom doesn't like guns, but insists on knowing that there's a shotgun and ammo in the house. She may not "like" them, but she knows she might "need" one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#18]
what are the laws in FL  when it comes to use of dealy force to protect property?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
what are the laws in FL  when it comes to use of dealy force to protect property?

Don't really know.  Anyone care to chime in?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You can't use deadly force to prevent theft or protect property... deadly force is justified only when preventing yourself or someone else from severe physical harm or to prevent death.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Am I the only one who kind'a wishes I could be there to help right now?

Up here, we only have to worry about cheese rustlers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Texas says

§ 9.42.  DEADLY[0] FORCE[0] TO PROTECT PROPERTY.  A person is
justified in using deadly[0] force[0] against another to protect land or
tangible, movable property:
(1)  if he would be justified in using force[0] against the
other under Section 9.41;  and
(2)  when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
deadly[0] force[0] is immediately necessary:
(A)  to prevent the other's imminent commission of
arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;  or
(B)  to prevent the other who is fleeing
immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
property;  and
(3)  he reasonably believes that:                                            
(A)  the land or property cannot be protected or
recovered by any other means;  or
(B)  the use of force[0] other than deadly[0] force[0] to
protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.  
Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,

§ 9.43.  PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY.  A person
is justified in using force[0] or deadly[0] force[0] against another to
protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if,
under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the
actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force[0]
or deadly[0] force[0] to protect his own land or property and:
(1)  the actor reasonably believes the unlawful
interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or
criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property;  or
(2)  the actor reasonably believes that:                                      
(A)  the third person has requested his protection
of the land or property;
(B)  he has a legal duty to protect the third
person's land or property;  or
(C)  the third person whose land or property he
uses force[0] or deadly[0] force[0] to protect is the actor's spouse, parent,
or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Source
www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ZPZSHGRHXIKW&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=126255&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=15&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES

Just remember you may not be charged but you can still be sued! More than a few have been sued for shooting some scumbag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah I saw that, The reporter even said the dirtbags challenged him.

Friggen Scum!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll just lay em face down in the pouring rain till I decide what to do with them. May take a while.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll just lay em face down in the pouring rain till I decide what to do with them. May take a while.

Good plan.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#27]
all the news i have been seeing says no big prob with looting. one ch said only one looter busted. and cops are out and all over now. guess the press needs to stop standing in the wind and check out some residentual areas
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#29]
You can always post a sign
              Looters Welcome
        We need meat for our Stew
Those Texas Chainsaw Massacre Guys are Wimps
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Texas says

§ 9.42.  DEADLY[0] FORCE[0] TO PROTECT PROPERTY.  A person is
justified in using deadly[0] force[0] against another to protect land or
tangible, movable property:
(1)  if he would be justified in using force[0] against the
other under Section 9.41;  and
(2)  when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
deadly[0] force[0] is immediately necessary:
(A)  to prevent the other's imminent commission of
arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;  or
(B)  to prevent the other who is fleeing
immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
property;  and
(3)  he reasonably believes that:                                            
(A)  the land or property cannot be protected or
recovered by any other means;  or
(B)  the use of force[0] other than deadly[0] force[0] to
protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

§ 9.43.  PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY.  A person
is justified in using force[0] or deadly[0] force[0] against another to
protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if,
under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the
actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force[0]
or deadly[0] force[0] to protect his own land or property and:
(1)  the actor reasonably believes the unlawful
interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or
criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property;  or
(2)  the actor reasonably believes that:                                      
(A)  the third person has requested his protection
of the land or property;
(B)  he has a legal duty to protect the third
person's land or property;  or
(C)  the third person whose land or property he
uses force[0] or deadly[0] force[0] to protect is the actor's spouse, parent,
or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Source
www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=ZPZSHGRHXIKW&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=126255&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=15&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES

Just remember you may not be charged but you can still be sued! More than a few have been sued for shooting some scumbag.

Yeah, that's nice but since Texas isn't the center of the universe for non-Texans and the discussion is about looters in Florida, who cares about the law in Texas, especially when it covers "normal" conditions?

Now if you really want to stir the pot get some legal beagles that are conversant about the law in Florida,  and discuss whether or not that there might be some common law defences for  deadly force when arresting looters when the the local law enforcement means are not available and can't be summoned.  In other words, you can't snipe them from down the block, but what means can you use to take them into custody in State of Emergency conditions during a crime in progress.  And could you also expect a diffidence from the DA in prosecuting and then of course the next step, is jury nullification.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]
only reason i put that up about use of deadly force in TX, I thought it might  be the same in FL.

Quoted:
You can always post a sign
              Looters Welcome
        We need meat for our Stew
Those Texas Chainsaw Massacre Guys are Wimps

no no it is looter welcome we need moving targets.
anyone that would take advantage of people in situations like that, well get a rope
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Next time, park a vehicle along the side of the entrance way to the park. Have someone in it with the drivers seat resting all the way back. When someone pulls in past them, have them box that person in, flashing their brights only, then come out of your home and ask the person what they are doing. Solved

How is the evening shaping up?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#33]
If that pickup truck keeps coming back its because there's something they want.
Maybe they want your pussy?
Or your AR. Give it to them bullets first

Take shelter at the entrance of your cul de sac and wait for them to pull into a dead end trap.
Then you can have that face to face chat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#34]

The MO some burglers in my area use is they case places ahead of time for something they want. Then they wait for you to go on vacation. Maybe they do the same in Florida, except they wait for storms.

Anything of great value on your street?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The MO some burglers in my area use is they case places ahead of time for something they want. Then they wait for you to go on vacation. Maybe they do the same in Florida, except they wait for storms.

Anything of great value on your street?

Who in Florida goes on vacation, they're in Florida!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#36]
The Sand People are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Next time, park a vehicle along the side of the entrance way to the park. Have someone in it with the drivers seat resting all the way back. When someone pulls in past them, have them box that person in, flashing their brights only, then come out of your home and ask the person what they are doing. Solved

Awesome idear. I would also recommend some nice fat zipties so that when you catch them you can zip'em up ad pile them up at the entrance. That shoudl be a good deterent as well. Put a sign above them that reads, "Trash day isn't until next week, so these looters are going to be sitting here for a while... care to keep them company? See local TPT Militia."

Someone else mentioned barracading the entrance with a car, but I have a better idea if it's a trailer park. You guys live in houses on frickin wheels!! Use the whole dern house to block the entrance... Then it's manned 24/7... or until the storm moves it to the neighboring park.

I like the idea of trapping and confronting them better though... just beware that if the have made more than one drive by they may be sizing up the defenses and may pack accordingly. Odds are the winds will mask the sounds of a gunfight... which may worok to your advantage as well. Waste'em and them attach a sail/parachute to them and let the storm move them out of your neighborhood.

Good luck guys and have fun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Anyone know where you can buy spike strips?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The Sand People are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome idear. I would also recommend some nice fat zipties so that when you catch them you can zip'em up ad pile them up at the entrance. That shoudl be a good deterent as well. Put a sign above them that reads, "Trash day isn't until next week, so these looters are going to be sitting here for a while... care to keep them company? See local TPT Militia."

While this sounds fun and gung-ho, unless you catch them actually looting or trespassing - and not just driving around on streets - my guess is you could get your ass sued off for everything you own in a civil suit for detaining them like that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While this sounds fun and gung-ho, unless you catch them actually looting or trespassing - and not just driving around on streets - my guess is you could get your ass sued off for everything you own in a civil suit for detaining them like that.

I agree with the Prof here, its just about protecting our property. If they run at sight of us thats fine with me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Waste'em and them attach a sail/parachute to them and let the storm move them out of your neighborhood.

good idea really

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Anyone know where you can buy spike strips?
Bigfeet

2x4 (or 1x8, 2x8, etc) + Nails + rope = quick deploy spikes strips.
Galls
Stinger

Quoted:
Waste'em and them attach a sail/parachute to them and let the storm move them out of your neighborhood.

good idea really

Even if the wind only carries them 100m, who's to say where they started from...
Cop/Detective: "Do you know who this guy is handing from your powerlines next to the 5 pairs of sneakers?"
TP Dude: "Nope, cain't say I do. Sucker just blew into the park along with this here terlet seat and some sheets of plywood. Kinder looks like he must be one'er them nationa guard paratroopers"
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Spike strips:

about 40' of chain
a 5 lb box of 16d or 20d nails
a big set of bolt cutters (to trim heads off nails)
about an hour on the arc welder

you have a nice 40' spike strip when done.  Stores quite nicely in a 5 gal plastic bucket.

Being chain, it lends itself to being "locked in place" with padlocks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Spike strips:

about 40' of chain
a 5 lb box of 16d or 20d nails
a big set of bolt cutters (to trim heads off nails)
about an hour on the arc welder

you have a nice 40' spike strip when done.  Stores quite nicely in a 5 gal plastic bucket.

Being chain, it lends itself to being "locked in place" with padlocks.

That would certainly be another way to do it...if you know how to arc weld.

Of course all of this information being discussed in here could also be a good way to fortify and defend you neighborhood from zombies that know how to drive cars.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top