Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Israel had some incidents of schools being attacked by terrorists in the 70's (I believe).  Their response was to arm the teachers and the aides...no attacks since.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I was talking to my kid (HS senior and gun saavy) about that last night.  Two things that would help are having some armed administrative types in the building at all times and some way (or code) to let SWAT know when to enter the building and start capping tangos, such as everyone hits the floor at the same time as SWAT makes their entry. Or maybe some way to train hostages how and when to bum rush their captors and kill them, concerted effort, at the same time. Other than that, not sure. Also maybe reqiure that some people (admin, teachers) have some sort of communication on them at all times, be it a cell phone, FRS radio etc. that would provide immediate communication with rescuers. That can only work supposing that a would be captive can slip away to a place of obsevation and relay info to the outside.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Israel had some incidents of schools being attacked by terrorists in the 70's (I believe).  Their response was to arm the teachers and the aides...no attacks since.

That's the best answer to the threat...unfortunately, the pablum-puking "soccer mom" weenies won't allow it...if I were a teacher, I'd carry anyway...un-Constitutional "gun free zone" laws be damned...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Our schools are extremely vulnerable.  It always has been.  Physical fortifications mean nothing to a determined enemy.  Sadly, it has been standard practice for public schools, LE, emergency services and public health people to teach kids to hide and wait for help rather than doing something constructive.  It dosen't matter how fast the response or how many terrorists the response teams can take out, a lot of  innocent lives are going to be lost.  I fear the American public no longer have the stomach to accept that in order to ensure our safety, IMHO, the only real solution to this problem is immediate, massive, and final retaliation to those responsible, and if collateral damage should occur on their turf, tough.  Reality is a bitch, and we are all going to die eventually.  However, I would rather it be them than me.  Eventually, through either them becoming more enlightened or too afraid to attach the US in fear of TOTAL annhilation, we will be safer.  Anything less just encourages them.  I'm probably going to be deemed evil for saying this, and I accept this.  But if doing so will mean that my (future) children will be safer and not have to live in fear of being killed because other people are not happy with our prosperity.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ohio has come up with a solution.  They are requiring that we demolish our "campus style" schools -- "Not able to control entry by unauthorized persons" and build a limited access single building concept.  This will ensure that any individual will not be able to create a threat to our children.  

What they don't tell us is that  a dedicated group cannot be stopped (barring a platoon of defenders at every school) and they will be able to control a large group of students by merely controlling the exits to the facillity.  

I am only happy that this won't happen until my kids are graduated.  

Making schools more like prisions is not the answer.  Ever try to storm a prison?  They are just as good at keeping people out as keeping them in especially when defended by well armed fanatics.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Frankly, I'm surprised it has not happened here.

Only a few possible reasons IMHO.

1.  We have taught them that the repercussions are too great. (very doubtful)

2. They just do not have the manpower/ logistics in place yet.

3. They stopped hating us. (not)

I honestly think that politically our country would shift more toward the Isreal model, with civillians being armed, trained, and ready.

Even Diann Feinstein called for Arming pilots after 9/11

OFFENSE IS INDEED THE BEST DEFENSE.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
If someone thinks they are invunerable they are living in a dream world. My wife is a teacher and I have told her that if the SHTF for real to go out the window (one floor school) and RUN with the students. None of this lock the door and stay put shit. Better to not be a sitting duck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Skeet, you bet!

Quoted:
Ohio has come up with a solution. They are requiring that we demolish our "campus style" schools -- "Not able to control entry by unauthorized persons" and build a limited access single building concept. This will ensure that any individual will not be able to create a threat to our children.

What they don't tell us is that a dedicated group cannot be stopped (barring a platoon of defenders at every school) and they will be able to control a large group of students by merely controlling the exits to the facillity.

I am only happy that this won't happen until my kids are graduated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making schools more like prisions is not the answer. Ever try to storm a prison? They are just as good at keeping people out as keeping them in especially when defended by well armed fanatics.

------

Yes, this is exactly my take on it.  Such a school (one building) makes it much easier for terrorists to round up the students and control them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
+1

Quoted:
We are of course not immune. Though, it does help that we don't have a breakaway radical Islamic state within our borders.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps the swift and decisive reply to two little high schoolers shooting up Columbine give them pause to consider that any attempt on their part to attack a school and murder people will be met with swift action, unity of command, and no hesitationon the part of those responding.

or maybe we've just been lucky.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Perhaps the swift and decisive reply to two little high schoolers shooting up Columbine give them pause to consider that any attempt on their part to attack a school and murder people will be met with swift action, unity of command, and no hesitationon the part of those responding.

or maybe we've just been lucky.

I agree with the red part.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
THERE NOT
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Making schools more like prisions is not the answer. Ever try to storm a prison? They are just as good at keeping people out as keeping them in especially when defended by well armed fanatics.

My point exactly!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I work in a high school.  The system tries to prepare as much as possible.  It is like a mall, grocery store or ball game; we are open to some types of aggression.

But if some bastard tries to pull some crap with a box knife they will not walk out.

Be vigilant!

(
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
If every single teacher had a concealed handgun, every principle a subgun, and the janitors all had belt-feds....

...elementary schools would STILL be "soft targets" for terrorists.

They will never be as fortified and secure as military bases or nuclear plants.
There are too many of them.
They will ALWAYS be soft targets, because humans just aren't supposed to attack school kids.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Who says it can't happen here?

The only thing that likely keeps it from happening here is simply because the IslamoFacists don't think they have the numbers and their neighbors' support for doing this sort of operation!

If it does happen here, there will be such a backlash against the Islamic population of this nation that would make the reaction following September 11th look like a Kumbayah Sing-along.

That's why it is in the best interests of the Islamic population in this nation to look after their own neighborhoods to ferret out any IslamoFacist cells and supporters themselves!

Eric The(Realistic)Hun

If they use weapons they obtained here to pull this off the muslims won't be the only ones feeling a backlash.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#20]
What is with Muslims anyway?  Don't they have the common sense to know when they've been defeated?!  They have lost to Isreal, Iraq and Afghanistan lost to US, and Chechnya lost to Russians
After 50 yrs of terrorism, the only thing that they have accomplished is to get their ass kicked again and again.

How many times do you have to get your assed kicked to figure out that you can't win?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What is with Muslims anyway?  Don't they have the common sense to know when they've been defeated?!  

In a word: martyrdom.

When a belief system circumvents all normal means of deterrence, threats never work. Seeing one's comrades die inspires only the urge to follow suit and acheive similar glory. This is the central problem with fighting radical Islamists.

How many times do you have to get your assed kicked to figure out that you can't win?

When you "win" even though you're mowed down like rpg-man was, it becomes a simple game of numbers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've felt that schools and churches are two of our most vulnerable places for years.
M

I spent the last three years working in a public school that was located in a Baptist church due to their school catching on fire.   I've thought about this scenario many times.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
NUKES, FOLKS, NUKES!!!  The ones that survive will be sterile and won't be able to father yet another generation of scum-sucking brainwashed camel humpers...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#25]

This is but one of many reasons why I don't want my kids in a gov't school. We will Homeschool or send them to a Christian school.

Check the Beslan school story again. It was a Russian Orthodox school that they hit.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#26]
[almost serious] I hope they try something like that here! [/almost serious]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#27]
It's harder to pull off an attack like that over here.  If the terrorists can get the manpower and material in place, schools are just as vulnerable, if not more so, as the Russian school.  But that attack took at least 30 people, careful reconnassaince, and a good bit of explosives and weapons.  It's a bit easier to coordinate that sort of thing just across the border from a safe area than across the world.

The terrorists have to find 30 motivated people who are able to move around in the US (speak the language, understand enough about the culture to be useful, are experienced in moving around in hostile countries without drawing attention, etc).  Those guys don't grow on trees, and they'd essentially have to write them off for this type of attack.  They would need a way to get that many men into the country undetected, and the financial resources or infrastructure to house and provide transportation and upkeep for that many people.  They would need a way to smuggle or acquire large quantities of weapons and explosives over here. They would need experienced people to perform recon and select targets.  They would have to do all of this under the scrutiny of the police and FBI, and this while their command and logistical structure overseas is getting hit hard.  The slightest mistake would mean failure of the attack and the loss of all resources put into it.

Its not simply a matter of slipping people over the Mexican border with rifles and sending them off.

They could try to do it with less people, but that would make it difficult to secure an area and take hostages in a large school and/or reduce the damage done, plus it increases the risk that one lone police officer could disrupt the plot enough to cause its failure.

There are a lot of overlooked variables to this sort of thing.  It's not easy for anyone to do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If every single teacher had a concealed handgun, every principle a subgun, and the janitors all had belt-feds....

...elementary schools would STILL be "soft targets" for terrorists.

They will never be as fortified and secure as military bases or nuclear plants.
There are too many of them.
They will ALWAYS be soft targets, because humans just aren't supposed to attack school kids.

Strongly disagree.  You are not talking of defending from an attacking army, but from a group of poorly trained, poorly armed terrorists.  Killing them on entry or at least slowing them down prevents them from taking time to booby-trap, or set up defenses.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's harder to pull off an attack like that over here.  If the terrorists can get the manpower and material in place, schools are just as vulnerable, if not more so, as the Russian school.  But that attack took at least 30 people, careful reconnassaince, and a good bit of explosives and weapons.  It's a bit easier to coordinate that sort of thing just across the border from a safe area than across the world.

Given the # of Moslems in the DFW area, it would not be hard to hide 30 terrorists and coordinate an attack in a town that is an hour's drive away.

The Moslem terrorist that recently was caught video tapeing targets had come across the Mexican/Texas border and had video of targets in Austin, Houston, and Dallas.

It is not a matter of if they can but of when they will.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#30]
My kid's school house is very well armed.  Another benefit of homeschooling.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It is not a matter of if they can but of when they will.

wganz

Agreed on that.  

You suspect though, that regardless of the liberal bedwetters, muslim communities in the US are being watched by interested parties.  It would be risky to use domestic muslims in that way, although its certainly possible.

The Neutral Observer was not downplaying the likelihood of an event; He was just pointing out that it would be difficult and expensive to pull off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#32]
It's unlikely that any large group could pull off the logistics of such a takeover here .
It took allot more then just the action of the 30 or so that did the actual assault .
If you look at where this happened in Russia , it borders a region that basically has
had a civil war going on for 10 years , and has always had Islamic involvement .
It can't really be called terrorism because of the fact that they are fighting to reestablish a country that was annexed by the former Soviet Union  . Where real terrorist attacks are in the name a cause alone .  Don’t get me wrong .  I don't agree or condone bringing children into a civil conflict regardless of cause . That was defiantly a serious error on their part .

You also need to consider that the Russians don't have a great record of resolving events like this .  They consider 25-30% hostage loses to be a victory . If you watched the taped footage of the event  It didn’t look very well planned and lacked organized execution normally expected  from a military response .

It’s a sad and disturbing event that I can only hope we never have to face here .

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Update on what happened at the Beslan Russian Orthodox school.

Seems that some of the terrorists worked at the school during the summer and hid weapons in the attic for this event. My wife indicated that they had hid an RPG7 in the attic amoung other weapons. So, some significant planning had previously taken place to pull this one off.

Be alert out there.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
You have to make the reply so horrific that even though souless pieces of rancid camel shit will pause.  THey want holy war?  Fine.  Do this in a US school and we turn Mecca into radioactive ashtray.  Give them a taste hell and destroy something that is more precious than their lives to them.  I'd even be willing to give them a day's warning so no one need die - just the heart of their religion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I REALLY hope that if they do, they do it in a very gansta NYC highschool.
There's enough kids that pack heat on a daily basis that homeboy aiming or not, they'd need alot more than the dozen or two that did what they did in the Russian school.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#36]
It would never happen in a junior high or high school.  Most of those already have at least one cop as security there, at least in HISD.  If they were going to do a terror operation, the bastards would probably hit an elementary school.  That's a high visibility target with low chances of resistance and would definitely hit us hard.  I pray it never happens.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I could very easily see the reds doing this.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#38]
School Resorce Officers are common place.  Everyone is getting training with patrol rifles and active shooter situations. Most agencies either have their own SWAT team or participate in a regional team.

US schools are much better prepared than Russian schools.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We all know they are "gun-free" zones.  We all know it'd be like "fish in a barrel." We all know the political fallout, with potentially thousands of parents going apeshit, is huge.

We all know it's been done before (in Colorado).

What's keeping the "Religion of Peace" from doing the same over here? A lone cop standing in the hallway drinking a coffee and talking with little Johnny about his first kiss the night before?

When this happens here, it'll be big, it'll be bloody, and it'll send more shockwaves throughout the country than 9/11 did. Mark my words.

Yeah but smaller towns dont need SWAT units or someone around here might feel oppressed just knowing they exist.

Bubba with his shotgun will respond to the school and take them down.

No, a mob of bubba's that will make even the Russian commandos look organized and well trained.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#40]
At my HS we have armed officers and I bet we have other firearms on premise but that still makes my think about having something in my trunk, But will never do that because it is not worth going to prison if someone found out a kept a gun in the trunk of my car at school.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I worry more about our own "American Terrorists" (think Klebold, Harris, Loukaitis, Hamilton, Woodham, Carneal, Kinkel, Solomon, Ingram) taking schools hostage and killing classmates than I do about other terrorists doing the same.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#42]
i dont think teachers and guns will work.

most teachers sit and preach how bad guns are and they kill people so what makes you think they will sit around the school and shoot it out with the bad guys?

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#43]
While I pray that this never happens here, I suspect that it is only a matter of time before it does. I have envisioned the potentiality of a committed group of fanatics (about 100) all walking into shopping malls in each of the 48 contiguous states at 3 p.m. EST with semi-auto rifles and three or four mags hidden under coats.

If they started shooting, they could kill 30 or 40 people, and wound a hundred others before they got shot down. The death toll could number in the low thousandshe
I wonder if anybody in law enforcement or the anti-terrorist task force of the FBI has thought of how to prevent such a terrible tragedy?

Samsong
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
No, a mob of bubba's that will make even the Russian commandos look organized and well trained.

And one cop bored out of his mind in an elementry school will be better....?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Keep in mind, Mexico is "right across the border", and people waltz across that border all the time.  This could easily happen in the southwest US.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It's unlikely that any large group could pull off the logistics of such a takeover here .
It took allot more then just the action of the 30 or so that did the actual assault .
If you look at where this happened in Russia , it borders a region that basically has
had a civil war going on for 10 years , and has always had Islamic involvement .
It can't really be called terrorism because of the fact that they are fighting to reestablish a country that was annexed by the former Soviet Union  . Where real terrorist attacks are in the name a cause alone .  Don’t get me wrong .  I don't agree or condone bringing children into a civil conflict regardless of cause . That was defiantly a serious error on their part .

You also need to consider that the Russians don't have a great record of resolving events like this .  They consider 25-30% hostage loses to be a victory . If you watched the taped footage of the event  It didn’t look very well planned and lacked organized execution normally expected  from a military response .

It’s a sad and disturbing event that I can only hope we never have to face here .

There's approximately 20 Million Illegal Aliens in OUR COUNTRY at this present time.
Our Southern Border is wide open,just ask any Border Patrol Agent even their Union President confirms.
The Northern Border with Canada is NO BETTER.
By Canada's own admission they have known terrorists in their country and have a flawed Immigration Policy.
Recently a few Pakistanis wer caught on a raft coming into the US from Canada.

You mean to tell me out of 20 Million Illegals there arent 30 to 50 individuals who could pull this off.

September 11,2001 SHOULD HAVE BEEN ENOUGH OF A  WAKE UP CALL BUT APPARENTLY IT WASN'T
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And one cop bored out of his mind in an elementry school will be better....?

all he has to do is get 998 out on the radio.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Our schools are extremely vulnerable.  It always has been.  Physical fortifications mean nothing to a determined enemy.  Sadly, it has been standard practice for public schools, LE, emergency services and public health people to teach kids to hide and wait for help rather than doing something constructive.  It dosen't matter how fast the response or how many terrorists the response teams can take out, a lot of  innocent lives are going to be lost.  I fear the American public no longer have the stomach to accept that in order to ensure our safety, IMHO, the only real solution to this problem is immediate, massive, and final retaliation to those responsible, and if collateral damage should occur on their turf, tough.  Reality is a bitch, and we are all going to die eventually.  However, I would rather it be them than me.  Eventually, through either them becoming more enlightened or too afraid to attach the US in fear of TOTAL annhilation, we will be safer.  Anything less just encourages them.  I'm probably going to be deemed evil for saying this, and I accept this.  But if doing so will mean that my (future) children will be safer and not have to live in fear of being killed because other people are not happy with our prosperity.  

You are correct Sir!

I have yet to meet a school admin. who was not a liberal, whining sheeple, and only a few teachers who were not.

My glass is only half-full on this one. A terrorist attack on a school type setting where kids are involved will generally bring the wrath of hell down on gun owners. "Its for the children" has worked in the past and will in the future. The sheeple will never see the light and there are way to many of them in this country to expect common sense to prevail. I can see the reaction of the school officials and cops if I were to suggest that the brass at the local schools carry guns. Hell, the Chief in our little village seldom carries his and one or 2 officers out of 6-8(mostly part-timers) take guns seriously.

I am sorry to say this, but this sorry-assed state of affairs with the mind set of the sheeple in this country truly sickens/saddens me.

A trajedy will not wake anyone up. It will only have the usual screwed up result...more stupid ass laws/restrictions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#49]
It's just a matter of time...

C.g.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind, Mexico is "right across the border", and people waltz across that border all the time.  This could easily happen in the southwest US.

Mexico isn't a muslim country.  It could very well happen, but not easily.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top