Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Being from the inner city we were taught to say "Screw you, get your own damn knife!". rocko.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
She's got it pretty close to how I learned it in the Boy Scouts 30rys ago.

When handing a knife to someone you grasp the blade along the spine with the edge facing away from your hand/fingers and offer them the handle. When they say "Thank you" they are acknowledging they have a firm hold on the knife and you then let go.

This is the way I was taught in scouts also, 40 years ago.

AB
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:53:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is bad luck/etiquette to hand back a folding knife the opposite way it was handed to you.

Example: Sgtar15 hands you a pocket knife that is open, when you hand it back to him it should be open

Example2: Sgtar15 hands you a pocket knife that is closed, when you hand it back to him it should be closed

Yep, as a knife show junkie, this is the rule and "law".
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Well , at least when you break up with her( SOON!!) , you can say "Here is your knife!" Just kidding. I had a talk w/my wife over some propper knife handling. She was handing it to me BLADE first! Hopefully that wasn't a hint. Anyway , when I explained to her that was unsafe then she got all huffy and left the room. Could'nt help but thinking of a word that starts with "B" and it wasn't "Babe"Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweep, you don't plan on being with this one long, do you?  She want's a common couretsy, either accept that fact and provide it to her, or move on.

This one is simple, every person has their quirks, you either accept them and their quirks or you move on.  Anything else is setting yourself up to be unhappy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...There is no bad luck involved.  You hand a folding knife the same way you got it (open), because some knives have mechanisms that may be different, ...THANK YOU is just to let the other person know you have control of the knife...

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes, this is halfway how we did it in the scouts.  We had to memorize the knife rules for a "tote'em chit" that was like a driver's license for a knife in the scouts.  Every time we violated a rule, a corner of the card got torn off.  On the fourth violation, we couldn't carry a knife anymore until we went through the course and test again.

We we're allowed to have the pocket knives from the start when I was in scouts.  But, for bigger items, hatchet, axe, machete, etc. you had to have passed the tote'em thing.  I thought you got a badge for it if I remember correctly.  It was all a scam, only a few were allowed into the course, so I was happy until after passing the course, which consisted mainly of use instead of rules for handling.  Afterwards, we got all of the hard labor jobs.  Down those trees, chop that wood up, and clear the brush over there that's mostly poison ivy.  Those bastards tricked us into thinking we were cool because we could use saws and axes, when they just wanted slave labor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweep, you don't plan on being with this one long, do you?  She want's a common couretsy, either accept that fact and provide it to her, or move on.

This one is simple, every person has their quirks, you either accept them and their quirks or you move on.  Anything else is setting yourself up to be unhappy.

I just have a problem with superstitions. She didn't make a fuss when I asked her to just set the thing down then I would pick it up and now that it has been explained to me why you say "Thank You" it makes perfect sense to me and will now just take the knife and say "Thank You."

Then get rid of her now, sooner rather than later.   Either that or accept the fact of her superstitions (if that is what it even is, she may have not had many people being mannerly to her in life, and from you she expects it).

In a relationship each has to bend, and it is usually the little things like this that can bethe  thing  that cement or break a relationship.

Ask yourself this, is she worth you changing in this small way?  If not, isn't the choice clear?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In the scouts manual, the recipient is supposed to say "thank you" when you have a firm grip on the knife/axe/saw/sharp pointy stick so that the person giving it to you knows it's safe to let go. I call bull on the folding shit, though.

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
In the case of children, as in the Boy Scouts, I think such strict procedures are useful or even necessary.  For adults, however, I'd classify this as nothing more than:

dogma

\Dog"ma\, n.;

3. A doctrinal notion asserted without regard to evidence or truth; an arbitrary dictum.

I'd tell her to lighten up.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'd say that's a pretty damn good relationship.

I'd like to know what wedge thinks of this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]
we generally don't pass knives in the kitchen-too much room for error. Lay on the board, etc..And don't pick up someone elses knife unless you've asked first!!!
hth, danny
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Next time she doesn't let go of the knife while she's waiting for a "thank you", punch her in the face and say "F**k you", repeat until she lets go of the knife (a bit scary since she *is* the one holding the knife, but she'll probably drop it the first time anyway and cry like a girl).
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Hand her a knife while stepping on a crack (repeatedly).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top