Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2001 6:00:42 PM EDT
My vote for "best" goes for the Dutch DPM, which seems to have more natural coloring than the British, and seems more in line with patterns in nature than the standard US Woodland.
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos7/dutch.jpg

"Worst" would have to be the Indonesian paramilitary DPM--not too sure what kind of environment they were expecting to be in here...
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos3/bluedpm.jpg

"Coolest" is the Indian Army jungle pattern:
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos7/india2.jpg
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive always been partial to the German "Oak-B" (spring side), myself.

It looks kind of strange, but when viewed in the woods (especially in oaks) it is a very effective pattern.

The Russian VSR "Schofield" is pretty neat, too, IMO [:)]

G2
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Best... woodland.. it's sooooo chic these days.

Worst.. paisley... how do you accessorize that???  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote for "best" goes for the Dutch DPM, which seems to have more natural coloring than the British, and seems more in line with patterns in nature than the standard US Woodland.
[img]http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos7/dutch.jpg[/img]
"Worst" would have to be the Indonesian paramilitary DPM--not too sure what kind of environment they were expecting to be in here...
[img]http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos3/bluedpm.jpg[/img]
"Coolest" is the Indian Army jungle pattern:
[img]http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos7/india2.jpg[/img]

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos3/bluedpm.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Remember that alot of people, especially paramilitaries, think that a camo uniform is cool, even if it's in the most outrageous colors (like the guys in "urban" or even hunter orange at the mall).  

That's probably the rationale behind the indonesian get up.  I know that China has all kinds of -well, colorful - schemes for pilots and others.  I don't think they were intended as camoflage.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
hey MARCUS! don't knock on "urban" camo.
It's definately one of the more specialized patterns in the U.S. inventory,but it is VERY effective for the environment it was made for.
That environment is bombed out CONCRETE buildings,CONCRETE rubble,CONCRETE debris,like the environment you would find in a modern,recently shelled city.
It works GREAT in those environments.I've seen guys laying on TOP of piles of concrete slabs,and you would not see them unless you already knew they were there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I just read something on camo patterns for hunting, which basically said that since animals see in black and white for the most part, you could wear a brightly colored Hawaiian shirt in the woods, and as long as it broke up the human silouhette, you were "camoflaged".
The gist was that the fancy patterns we humans look at all tend to blend into a solid shadow at a distance.
I'm thinking of a wild patterned jacket for next years trip...

For human eyes, though, I like the TimberGhost pattern.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the WW2 German stuff was pretty cutting edge for the day. It's very similar to the current Swiss camo.
Eric
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Love the Brits DPM.
As well as the Rhodesian(sp.)
the early Vietnam Tiger strips are cool too!

Worst??
The Korean and Taiwanese camos!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
hey MARCUS! don't knock on "urban" camo.
It's definately one of the more specialized patterns in the U.S. inventory,but it is VERY effective for the environment it was made for.
That environment is bombed out CONCRETE buildings,CONCRETE rubble,CONCRETE debris,like the environment you would find in a modern,recently shelled city.
It works GREAT in those environments.I've seen guys laying on TOP of piles of concrete slabs,and you would not see them unless you already knew they were there.
View Quote

Nomad, I want to party with you, dude!

[8P]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Flecktarn
2) Tiger Stripe
10) Sky Blue Camo
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with [b]SS109[/b] that German flektarn is the best - I have complete BDUs and parkas in both the woodland pattern and the 'desert storm' version that was issued only to a small number of German troops aboard 'minesweepers' in the Persian Gulf. I don't know if they ever made it ashore.

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yotes in the sagebrush:

We use a mixture, and mix/match according to weather. The dogs see black and white anyway. Woodland field jacket and pants. Woodland Marine cap, handkerchief (face covering). Desert cammo shirt ("chocolate chip"). Red tiger stripe pants and hat. Wet weather pants that are "woodland" but muddier. they're duck hunting pattern.

All this stuff works well for human eyes when the wearer is sitting in front of a tree/bush. Good cammo is only effective if you're aware of the background you're standing in front of. Helps to break up you silhouette with foliage etc. in the foreground too.

Woodland is probably some of the best looking stuff, although I like the tiger stripe stuff too. Swiss Army cammo ponchos are pretty ratty looking -- green, yellow, orange, black confetti.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Best one: Dutch DPM
Worst one: ANY BRIGHT color uniforms.  For example, white artic, red coats, and emergency orange/yellow.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It all depends on the environment and what you are trying to hide from.  Animals with B/W vision require different pattern/color than from human with color vision.

Animals with B/W vision are much more sensitive to pattern than color while human with color vision is more sentitive to color.

One of the most simple yet very effective trick is to add some burlap strips to your camo to give 3-D effect.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
For best, I like the old tiger stripe camo. Just because it's better in the woods than the stuff we're issued now and looks badass. I really don't like the woodland camo. For the most part treebark or mossy oak camo is better in the woods than US woodland, but I guess there is a place for everything.

After that I like the German 43(?) pattern camo, the brown and green dots. No particular reason, really. Haven't seen it in a field test to compare it to how well it works, I just like the pattern.

And after that I like the bright orange "camo". Especially when it's in daisy duke form on some hot ass chick holding a gun. [whacko]

WORST is that 1970 american hunters camo. You know, the ones folks used to go hunting and fishing in. Blue jeans, a red flannel shirt, and the green and tan ovals camo vest and floppy hat. What were they thinking????

Next worse camo job is the facepaint on the william wallace holding the light sabre icon. How's he hold his sabre with his hair anyway? [%(]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
There is nothing naturally black in a "woodland" environment.

I went paintballing a few years ago and I was very suprised at how that hunting camo that looks like tree bark and the ones with leaf patterns worked. I always thought it would be horrible.

The coolest I would have to say tiger stripe.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos3/bluedpm.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Looks perfect for a discreet incertion into a Rave party.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
...Or perhaps a tourist bar.  That one would blend in with Hawaiian shirts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#22]
amimals vision is not truly black and white but their spectrum of vision is different. Birds I believe have excellent color vision.
Anyway, I think the military camos suck. I wear my advantage camo when I've gone paintballing and all that military crap has been pretty easy to pick out. In contrast, I can't tell you how many people have run right past me in the Advantage. Realtree is good also. Treebark or mossy oak if you're going to be in a tree stand,etc. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#25]
troy hit it right on the head, trust me, i hunt 7 months outta the year, from green, to fall, to snow. Predator is the best out there. If u wanna look cool and play GI JOE, fine get the Mil. stuff, but if u want the most effective camo around that stuff is it. that brown pattern there works all year round too, the biggest thing is stay in the cover/shadows, and DONT MOVE!!! the best camo in the world dont work if u cant keep yer ass still. just my $.02

http://www.predatorcamo.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top