Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to beat a medium rare skirt steak. They are a small cut so many people have not tried them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Porterhouse/T-bone is the best only cause you get 2 top cuts in one.

Ribeyes are awesome.

Honestly, I don't care which one of these good cuts it is, just as long as it's on sale for $5/Lb. at Safeway cause I eat these cuts all the time.

BTW, don't go poking holes in these cuts like someone mentioned.

Yeah, Safeway actually has some pretty good steaks.  I get the NYstrips when they go on sale.

BTW, I also enjoy a good london broil.  Tastes great and relatively cheap.  Makes great sandwiches the next day too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ribeye, with garlic salt and pepper. ummm
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Hamburger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
ribeye
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see that people here understand their meat!

Ribeye is the most flavorfull of all the steak cuts-yup..because of that fat marble! Great grilled Meduim Rare-Medium! Usually served with more mild sauces, such as flavored butters, as it has enough flavor to taste great on it's own.

New York is not bad either. It's a little more lean than Ribeye, and usually strong sauces are used. Very good with things like mushroom, brandy, or mustard sauces. And of course, grilled with spice rubs!

All the other cuts brought up-sirloin, tri-tip,etc are also all great. Eatch has their own top way to be prepared.

BTW-
Most pros think that filet is the most overrated, boring cut of meat. It is tender, yes,  but there is a reason, like someone said, that it is served with very rich sauces, stuffed  with strong cheese, etc. Otherwise, it has no taste!

It's also getting so expensive, that where I work, we can't put it on the plate for under $40..hence it is now off the menu. We only serve it when it is requested by large parties(usually weddings), and people's eyes bludge when they are told how much it costs.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
http://lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=5
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
New York strip or Filet minion

Combine the two and call it a Porterhouse..
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Filet minion

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Top Sirloin here, and just a little Lawry's seasoned salt rubbed in... medium rare
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
filet
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Mignon say mignon mignon
NOT MINION
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Porterhouse, rare.  Appropriate seasoning begins and ends with salt.

And I mean RARE.  Sear the outside, inside should be no more than noticeably warmer than room temp.

Other acceptable cuts at QS's table include a large (+12 oz) filet, ribeye, and prime rib(appropriately served bleeding, with a side of horseradish).

For the love of God, don't burn a good piece of meat into a medium or medium well or WELL DONE charcoal briquet.  If you're gonna do that, buy some ratty-ass old skirt steak and burn IT.  Don't forget the Pabst Blue Ribbon if you decide to go that way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
For the love of God, QUIT POKING YOUR STEAKS BEFORE COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are only allowing juices (FLAVOR) to run out during cooking!!!!!!

You may be letting a small bit of seasoning in, but that is it.  You are doing much more harm than good.

If you don't like all the fat on a good steak, cut it off AFTER you cook it.  This way you won't lose the good flavor it gives.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Hard choice,  I can never cook a steak well though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Most people won't admit it, but it akes years of doing it to get it right.  I mean really "right."
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most people won't admit it, but it akes years of doing it to get it right.  I mean really "right."

Well I will go get one somewhere decent its worth the extra dollars to save thr trouble a making a complex meal just for me.  Also messing up a $5-10 dollar steak leaves me pissed.  

If Im cooking at home I'll make some kind of grilled chicken that I can do well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#21]
New York Strip
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I raise Angus beef, and have an extra half that is going to the slaughterhouse on Sept. 15, I am in SE MI if someone is interested.  $1.40 lb. plus processing (.30 LB) however you like it.  This is organic beef, no implants, hormones, or antibiotics,  You cannot get this in the store, I don't care what the sign says!!!!!!  You can come by and see the beef before you buy!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I know that it's not steak but I like braised beef shanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
For the love of God, QUIT POKING YOUR STEAKS BEFORE COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are only allowing juices (FLAVOR) to run out during cooking!!!!!!

You may be letting a small bit of seasoning in, but that is it.  You are doing much more harm than good.

If you don't like all the fat on a good steak, cut it off AFTER you cook it.  This way you won't lose the good flavor it gives.

Ditto that.  Otherwise, You're grilling leather.  

Sear both sides at a higher temp, lock-in juicy good stuff, and finish cooking at a lower heat.  "Medium" at most.

Ribeye, Filet, Porterhouse.  All Good.

Switching gears a bit, let's consider 'Aging'.  

20 years ago, when I worked in a meathouse we would hang sides of beef for some customers for a month or more.   They (the sides of beef) would get a thick almost moldy outer 'coat'.   Made for some of the best steaks I've ever had.  
 Now when we go to the local Publix, I look for the marked down, brownish, 'out-dated' cuts (by just a day or 2).  They're the best, and at less cost.   (Beware those cuts left on the counter for the last week or so.  That doesn't count.)

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm taken aback that "filet mignon" wasn't listed.  That is the best part of a moo-moo meal.

I sear that sucker on high heat then reduce the temp.  I marinade it in liquid smoke and worchestershire sauce.

Tender, juicy and very flavorful.  A side of Ranch style beans and an ice cold beer - your night is complete.

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds good there Brass.  I never use steak sauce.  If it want to taste steak sauce, I'll eat it by itself.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Brisket (sp?)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Somebody posted that a porterhouse was half new york strip and half Filet Minoin!

That spells PORTERHOUSE all the way if that is true!!!

If not I can make some BBQ beef or pork that you can suck off the bones!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How do you sear both sides at a higher temp, then cook at a medium temp when grilling the steak over charcoal?

"charcoal?"  Move it higher or away from the flame?  Beats me.  I missed the charcoal part.  
[Hank Hill] Propane. And Propane accessories.  [/Hank Hill]  
That's my current method of destruction.

What is the recommended method for grill cookin?

Mine turned out pretty good, no "steak sauce" needed.  Used metled butter with  janes crazy pepper and ground sea salt and a touch of Lawry's mixed together and spread on both sides, let sit for a few minutes til the grill was Hot, threw it on, 4 minutes for side A, flipped, took off 3 minutes later.   Pink center, It was medium-rare to medium.  Tasty!

[Homer]  Ummm.  <drool, slobber.>  Steeaak.  Umm.  [/Homer]  Recipe Sounds delicious.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Please excuse the diversion, the veggie munchers should enjoy this one...  

Oh Good Lord!,
Not 20 minutes after that last response to this thread there's "bangin' and clangin'" on the patio.  Damn possum is invading the sacred Shrine that is my BBQ grill.  

Just a hunch', but the little fu**er just Might still be there in the morning.  

Any tips on the best way to REALLY clean a grill?    
I'm thinkin' bleach and a pressure washer.  

Nevermind.  Actually, it's going to the dump, and then we're off on a trip to WallyWorld for a new one.

So what's your favorite Possum recipe?  

Sorry, My Bad, and apologies for tainting this thread.    Parshooter Just could NOT resist.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#32]
For a special occasion, this can't be beat.  It's a little expensive, but worth it.  

Buy a whole beef tenderloin (3-4lbs), ask the butcher to trim it out.
Rub it with olive oil, then season with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Put it in a 550 degree oven for 15-20 min (it will smoke quite a bit).

Let it rest for about 5 minutes.  It will be a perfect rare to medium rare.
A thick slice of beef tenderloin is filet minon.  When oven roasted, the tenderloin is Chateaubriand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Glad to see that people here understand their meat!

Ribeye is the most flavorfull of all the steak cuts-yup..because of that fat marble! Great grilled Meduim Rare-Medium! Usually served with more mild sauces, such as flavored butters, as it has enough flavor to taste great on it's own.

New York is not bad either. It's a little more lean than Ribeye, and usually strong sauces are used. Very good with things like mushroom, brandy, or mustard sauces. And of course, grilled with spice rubs!

All the other cuts brought up-sirloin, tri-tip,etc are also all great. Eatch has their own top way to be prepared.

BTW-
Most pros think that filet is the most overrated, boring cut of meat. It is tender, yes,  but there is a reason, like someone said, that it is served with very rich sauces, stuffed  with strong cheese, etc. Otherwise, it has no taste!

If you have to put a sauce on it, there's something severely wrong.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Sauces are for bad meat!!

Or bad cooks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That?s a no brainer

Filet minion is the best. Most people won?t call it the best because it?s expensive and small. It?s the whole bigger is better thing, which is not true.

No, not really.  It's a great cut (the most tender)--but it's lacking in flavor.  This is the biggest reason it's not getting the popular vote (not the price or size).  The tenderloin is a VERY lean cut of meat; since fat yields flavor, your highly marbled cuts (like ribeyes) are often chosen over the filet.  This why it's not uncommon to see a filet served with a bearnaise sauce.

Yep, I agree, it real tender, but not much flavor because there is not enough fat in it. That is why when you go to some resturants they wrap a piece of bacon around it to give it some fat. The fat is what give is the flavor.

For me I personally like the sirloin, the best balance between cost, flavor, and fat.

Do you guys eat your steaks rare or medium rare? A filet cooked rare has tons of flavor to me. If its cooked medium or more I am with you and would prefer a different cut of meat.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#37]
NYS
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Usually I like medium in a restaraunt.  But you never know what you'll get anymore.

Idiots cooks never know how to really cook a steak.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Do you guys eat your steaks rare or medium rare? A filet cooked rare has tons of flavor to me. If its cooked medium or more I am with you and would prefer a different cut of meat.

EGGGGGGZACHARY!  Rare to medium rare is my preference.   Medium and above = a hockey puck with grill marks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Whatever part tastes best to YOU.

AB
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Porterhouse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Tenderloin.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#44]
A nice, thick filet mignon, cooked at a very high temperature, seasoned with salt and pepper, and resting in sizzling butter.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
For a special occasion, this can't be beat.  It's a little expensive, but worth it.  

Buy a whole beef tenderloin (3-4lbs), ask the butcher to trim it out.
Rub it with olive oil, then season with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Put it in a 550 degree oven for 15-20 min (it will smoke quite a bit).

Let it rest for about 5 minutes.  It will be a perfect rare to medium rare.
A thick slice of beef tenderloin is filet minon.  When oven roasted, the tenderloin is Chateaubriand.

the chateau briand is just the thickest part of the tenderloin.
actually when u see a whole 10-12 lb filet one side is called the head and one side is the tail.
the briand is the head , filet nignon is some where in the middle.

nuttin tastes better than a grilled skirt steak, tons of marbelling, and its from the diaphram  so theres no muscle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I like 'em all but once in a while, nothing beats a great filet, seasoned just right, grilled on high just until the center is dark red, with a great salad and seasoned red spuds cubed and cooked in a bit of olive oil with some onions, garlic and rosemary.  Gotta have a good vintage too.

Yummy!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
nuttin tastes better than a grilled skirt steak, tons of marbelling, and its from the diaphram  so theres no muscle.

Wha????

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I was under the impression that all meat is muscle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top