BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]

the tech gets the shaft

That's the truth.  I have two great-nephews that have Corvettes that are undrivable now.  They can't get them fixed, because GM won't pay enough to make it worthwhile for the dealership to fix.  One has a bad transfer pump between the gas tanks.  It is a complete pain in the neck to get to, and the dealership that has it said it took them about six hours to do the one they fixed about a year ago.  GM only pays 0.1 hours of labor to fix the problem.  They won't fix it and I sympathize with the mechanics on the pay, but that doesn't get his car fixed.

My other great-nephew has been walking since his 2000 Vette had the steering column lock issue that eventually affects almost every one GM has made since 97 to current.  The steering column locked-up while he was driving.  As you can imagine, that is a serious problem.  If it had happened a few minutes before when he was driving 70 MPH on the interstate, he could have easily been killed.  The anti-theft device in the steering column is the problem.  GM finally recalled the car for this issue, but GM will only allow the dealership to "align" the lock since it has to stay according to federal law.  The catch again is that the dealership only gets $75 from GM for working on it.  I've driven him by eight dealerships so far looking for one that will fix it, and not a one will agree to fix it even though it's covered under a safety recall.  The don't want the liability in exchange for $75 when they know they can't really fix the problem.  Again, the mechanics get screwed.  Of course, the owner does too.z
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i have worked for nissan in the past, i was a nissan mechanic, those cars are horrible

I just broke 104K on my Frontier Crew Cab and haven't done anything other than replace the battery and change the oil.  Other than when I change the oil, I haven't popped the hood in 2 years.  

It's been a helluva lot better than the American pieces of shit I've owned and I beat the hell out of this truck.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top