Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2001 5:16:25 AM EDT
I just read this at a site.  Are they using a play on words since they are now made with "enough" US parts?

I think they are using scare tactics.

www.floridaammotraders.com/
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know the foreign parts that make up the SAR are now banned. As well as any of rifle part that does not lend itself to "sporting purposes" like FAL parts. But it seems parts are still getting in judging by info. I find on other boards? I believe that once those importers licenses expire that's it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is that barrels/receivers are banned from importation; the only "all parts banned" I've heard is regarding Chinese AKs.  I may be totally incorrect.

One thing I'm still confused on is foreign rifle hi-caps.  Not sure if they've been banned from importation or just those prior to 09-94.  Seems like there's a LOT of them around...
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The ATF imports division is now extending their definition of "firearm", which is the receiver, to other parts.  It's typical goverment scope creep.  They are in charge of firearms imports.  They were becoming upset because parts kits (which escaped regulation because they were not a firearm) were allowing the "Spirit" of the '89 ban to be violated because enterprising domestic sources were using these kits to build legal firearms classified as domestic from these kits if they used enough US parts.  They, unlike many governing bodies that must adhere to the letter of the law, are allowed to intrepret their own rules.  They eventually determined that they could indeed effectivly ban certain parts by failing to approve import permits.  I believe that they are specifically targeting barrels, not the whole kit.

The funny thing is, that this is still an import matter.  A domestic source is free to manufacture the parts, which one is bound to do if demand is there.

ATF politics, go figure?  Because anything reclassified as domestic must still adhere to the '94 domestic assault weapons ban.  This smacks of political harrasment.

Hey PA:  China and some others have specific trade agreements with the US that give them certain access only if they adhere to certain rules.  One of those rules for China is that they cannot sell rifled firearms (probably centerfire) to the US.  This is Clinton trade policy, not the work of the ATF.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]
what is in country is all there is.the ATF/CUSTOMS will not issue any more form 6's for the importation of any parts period.i believe this went into affect last august.mmk
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey PA:  China and some others have specific trade agreements with the US that give them certain access only if they adhere to certain rules.  One of those rules for China is that they cannot sell rifled firearms (probably centerfire) to the US.  This is Clinton trade policy, not the work of the ATF.
View Quote

Thanks, DP--I wasn't fully aware of that.  Though I WOULD have liked to see some more PolyTech receivers and barrels...
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I heard that some companies are coming over here to MAKE them here.  Therefore they won't have to be under the importation penality.

Can't remember where I heard it and I'm not 100% sure but its possible.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]
7,you heard right,I believe "Arsenal Bulgaria" is sending people here to do exact millwork of the AK receivers and parts.They may have allready started.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top