Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have one picture for all you (us) h2 haters.

hmmm, looks like the little "tunnel" up at Red Rocks Ampitheatre

(?)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Regarding the H1, if you think a solid axle is better for off road and has more articulation you have no idea what you are talking about.

I see the benefits of IRS, but most off-roaders don't believe in it.

Well the H2 can do *some* offroading:

Hummer Academy

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regarding the H1, if you think a solid axle is better for off road and has more articulation you have no idea what you are talking about.

I see the benefits of IRS, but most off-roaders don't believe in it.

I also see the benefits of independent suspension, not just IRS , in a few limited offroad applications. Pre-running, Baja style racing, and the military's need for vehicle that can keep up with tracked combat vehicles over mildly rough terrain. Otherwise, a solid axle is better HANDS DOWN. And other than the H1, anyone who thinks that the current commercial market offers OEM independent suspensions that can competently tackle any of those few tasks needs to put down the crackpipe and take three steps back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'll get some pics of a friend of mine who rock crawls.  These H2 pics are nothing.

Stock vehicle?   Gotta keep it fair.  

Quoted:

I also see the benefits of independent suspension, not just IRS ,

Oops.  Well, you know what I meant!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, let me mention my neighbor again.

He runs a local offroad association of all Toyota Tacoma owners.  He showed me pictures demonstrating why he converted the front end to a solid axle.  He parked the truck with one front tire up on a 3' high block wall right in front of some guys who were wondering why a solid axle is better.  And he took pics.  I don't know shit about four-bying but I think he does.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got stuck behind one of these things in traffic, the idiodicy of them was appearant within ten seconds. Why would you pay so much money for something that looks like a Hummer, but has a solid rear axle, I mean isn't a large part of what made the HMMWVs I drove in the military so great, thier suspension?

I was sitting next to one in traffic.  you can see the front bushing which hold the radiator support in from the side of the,.  They are directly in the open, could remove the bolts holding them in in less then 1 min with a ratchet and wrench.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hummer Academy

www.rockcrawler.com/trailreports/hummer_h2_academy/noseinmud.jpg
www.rockcrawler.com/trailreports/hummer_h2_academy/water2.jpg
www.rockcrawler.com/trailreports/hummer_h2_academy/rubi5.jpg

www.rockcrawler.com/trailreports/hummer_h2_academy/guard3.jpg

Hell, a stock TJ on 31s could do any of that. *YAWN*

Ever wonder why HUMMER won't let any other vehicles on their specially designed little course?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll get some pics of a friend of mine who rock crawls.  These H2 pics are nothing.

How about we just a limit, say $50K, and see who can build the better rig?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

content.collegehumor.com/media/movies/hummerbad.wmv

We saw this a few months back.   As I recall, most felt it was driver error, and most any (heavy) vehicle would have suffered the same.

Fix it in place?   He's pretty screwed otherwise.

Actually, I think that video does a terrific job of illustrating the typically inherent weakness of consumer grade independent suspension systems and their inappropriateness for heavy offroad use, especially with large tires.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats not a Hummer , thats an H2 ..... Or should I say a Tahoe with a facelift
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hummer Academy

Ever wonder why HUMMER won't let any other vehicles on their specially designed little course?

If you have to put 31s on it, doesn't it automatically become not stock?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hummer Academy

If you have to put 31s on it, doesn't it automatically become not stock?

I took a Wrangler Unlimited for a spin not too long ago and it had 31's on it. They are a dealer installed option. I believe the Rubicon leaves the factory with 31's too.

And oh how tired I am of hearing the incredibly lame ass "stock vs stock" argument from the pro-IFS crowd anyhow. Who fawking leaves their rig completely stock? Just because there's little that can be done to improve the articulation, strength, and overall performance of typical independent suspension systems doesn't mean the SFA owner should be held to the same limitations. Ease of modification is simply another benefit of SFA in my book..
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got stuck behind one of these things in traffic, the idiodicy of them was appearant within ten seconds. Why would you pay so much money for something that looks like a Hummer, but has a solid rear axle, I mean isn't a large part of what made the HMMWVs I drove in the military so great, thier suspension?

Solid axles are great off road, superior in fact, in most cases, but in a vehicle not set up for serious offroad you will see little benfit. The secret to the H1s prowess is the ground clearence and geared reduction in each hub as well as automatic tire inflation control.

The best mix of the two I have used was the old Ford TTB setup. You had most of the benefits of both with few of the negatives of both. The challenge was keeping an alignment with it. Improperly set up you would eat tires like mad.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
the defender is mine.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.truckworld.com/Stuck-Of-The-Month/1smf1.gif
This is what happens when you try and show off for your friends at the infamous Dumont Dunes in sunny California. Yep, Corry Wiggersmuck of Burbank, CA was doing just fine till the '94 Ford high-centered and all forward momentum ceased. Worst of all, a Chevy pulled him off the dunes! Ouch!

Same would have happened with any other vehicle, if set up and driven the same. In sand, soft, wide tires and momentum are your friend.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a stock Jeep Rubicon, ok?  

How about a real mans 4x4?  4 Wheeling

CW
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a stock Jeep Rubicon, ok?  

How about a real mans 4x4?  4 Wheeling

CW

But is that Disco stock?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:18:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's probably about as far "off-road" as most of those things get anyway.  H2's (and just about any other luxury SUV, for that matter) are made for people who need a big, shiny vehicle to feel cool and attract attention.  Whoever got that one stuck was probably trying to show-off and knows dick about actual off-road driving.  Just about any vehicle would get stuck in that situation.

Well said, the H2 is an all show, no go POS.

It's a "I have a bigger dick than you" kinda ego-mobile. Bah.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I was off roading at the dunes one time when I came upon a guy in a hummer II near the top of a large dune. He was stuck going up and was afraid of backing down the hill.  I pulled up and asked if I could help. He told me his problem, so I hooked him up with a tow strap and pulled him out his rut to the top of the dune.  

I kinda laughed because he was in this expensive vehicle and I was in a '91 Ford Explorer. The only thing extra on my Expl was 31" tires, everything else is bone stock.

Obviously it was more a case of the driver than the vehicle, but then again, that's often the kind of people who buy those things, suburban commandos.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Hummer - when you got more money than brains.

I also like the pic of the $35K Checy pickup that creamed the $65K Hummer.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Jeep SUCKS!!!!!!

right....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:50:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Jeep SUCKS!!!!!!

what the fuck are you smoking?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
$50 says the Jeep wouldn't have gotten stuck.

HELL, I'LL PUT 100$ ON IT!
ive got an 87 cherokee (yes yes, a grocery getter, blah blah) that has taken shit worse than that without a problem.
dumbass H2 owners.... small penis syndrome
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jeep SUCKS!!!!!!

i think you worded the reply a bit better than me...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#27]
In the North Atlanta area about 65-75% of the H2s that I see are driven by women with a kid in the back.  About 15% are driven by these beef boys that just came out of Gold's Gym.  The rest have BIG SHINY RIMS and Low-profile z-rated tires (because an H2 is ALSO a roadracing machine).

It is a Tahoe with a different body.

IMHO, would you take a 4 door Tahoe offroad?  No, not unless you want to break something.  My buddy has a 2 door 1994 Yukon with the full offroad package, bash-plates, better everything.   But he does not take it any place terribly rough or wet because it is too big and heavy.  

I think a great comparision that someone or a magazine should do is take a pair of calipers to the important suspension parts of "offroad" Yuppie rides and then lay them all out compared to vehicle weight and see who has skinny unworthy parts.

Every commercial I have seen for the H2 you see the H2 in very rough terrain on a prepared road.  (With the exception of the soapbox derby commercial with the kids and the homebuilt H2 that goes offroad......maybe if they built those instead....)

It is a Yuppie show car.  I have yet to see one muddy and I have yet to see one scratched up and dinged.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jeep SUCKS!!!!!!

i think you worded the reply a bit better than me...

gotta tell it like it is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

SHOW ME A JEEP THAT MATCHES ALL OF THE H2'S CAPABILITIES.

The Jeep Liberty?
www.billhughes.com/libbyTraction.mpeg
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I would like to see a jeep liberty haul a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer and 4sleds with 4 men in comfort at interstate speeds.

Quoted:

Quoted:

SHOW ME A JEEP THAT MATCHES ALL OF THE H2'S CAPABILITIES.

The Jeep Liberty?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#32]
They are just as good as any full size vehicle at 4X4ing and still do alot of other things aswell. They have some of the best aproach and departure angles. Buy what like and leave the other guys choice in vehicles alone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes I have ridden in one and for more than a few miles and it was very comfertable. Do you think the jeep liberty will pull 4 tons at 75 miles and hour all day long?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#35]
74 CJ5.
Super short wheelbase and low gears plus 34" bias ply swampers and a 4" suspension lift makes a very "able" off road rig. I'd bet big cash against a H2 with the same clearance and tire size.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#36]
talking stock rides, i'd take an audi allroad over an h2.

i saw an allroad spank the shit out of 10 "purpose built" offroad vehicles at the 2001 paris auto show. it was quite amazing to watch it nimbly outmanuver landrovers, jeeps and the like.

granted, low ground clearance and road tires make it ill suited for bouldering or uneven terrain, but on sloping trails and for a tight grip in the muck, its a damn fine car.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The Jeep Liberty?

WTF?#?#

That was PATHETIC.

God, my Mazda Tribute did 1,000 times better than that in much harsher offroading, and it's not even considered a real off road vehicle.

Quoted:
74 CJ5.
Super short wheelbase and low gears plus 34" bias ply swampers and a 4" suspension lift makes a very "able" off road rig. I'd bet big cash against a H2 with the same clearance and tire size.
personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Fullwithlift.JPG

Well sure, shorter wheelbase and lighter weight, it should do better.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey guys, you know what I think is cool?  This thing.  (as I try to change the subject)

Stainless
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hey guys, you know what I think is cool?  This thing.  (as I try to change the subject)

www.navyseals.com/equip/images/bug.jpg

Stainless

Hey that is a POS because it doesn't have straight axles!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Stainless

Now there's a proper off-road vehicle.  Bet that Mk19 really cuts down on road rage incidents, too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Stainless

It looks like they have made a NEW one... with 4 wheel drive even. www.chenowth.com/alsv.html

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Yes I have ridden in one and for more than a few miles and it was very comfertable. Do you think the jeep liberty will pull 4 tons at 75 miles and hour all day long?

If you really have to pull 4 tons at 75mph all day long, the H2 would be a piss poor choice, too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Well I have yet to see an ANY Hummer do "Meat Grinder" at all...  Here is my stock rubicon doing it.  

Very impressive.

It's too bad their are just WAY too small.   Would be a fun toy though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
74 CJ5.
personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Fullwithlift.JPG

fun but when "out in the woods etc. with much gear and people something like my 1989 Bronco near stock except diffs, 6 shocks(factory) and tires, said Bronco cost me 400 dollars for before the said upgrades,,just got back from the woods in North West Maine not in fear of dent scratches bent skid plates,,and gas tank..... my high lift do anything jack was the best investment 25 years ago.  

I do love pulling stuck yuppies etc. out with their 30thousand plus 4X4 SUV's...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Bending it is the biggest worry for some... If ya build it right you don't have to worry. I have 3/16” and 1/4" plate all over my Rubi including gas tank But body damage can happen so you have to be able to accept the risk if you want to run the big trails.

As far as load capacity on the jeep, I purchased the roof rack and it works great for going camping and such. But the load must come off if I am going to run a 4+ trail.  Any trail just to be safe!!!

If you’re driving a rig that is built for trail driving as your daily driver then I believe that you are a special breed! It takes a lot of getting use to the mods that have been done to enhance trail driving because most of them take away from comfort...

Also the H2 Will always be better for taking people back and forth from places. This is what it was designed for, Not for off roading! If it was built for off road situations it would be a lot smaller, and would most likely have a seven slot grill… WTF It does have a seven slot grill!!! Fuckin copy cats!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Ya, know I loved my "Jeeps" great vehicles got kids more room,,everyone tells me buy a new truck,,,I hated having new vrhicles,,worring about damage down to a scratch on a fresh paint job etc.  I just ride my Bronco hard as much as possible,,knowing that if I kill it Not wound it then I will get another 4X4,,,
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#50]
A jeep would be worse.

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you really have to pull 4 tons at 75mph all day long, the H2 would be a piss poor choice, too.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top