Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If you like sage brush, my father-in-law recently bought 80 acres for $20K in NV.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged...

I have been trying to find an old strip mine or other "undesirable" location here in PA to start a large shooting club/range that would be remote enough for NFA and cheap enough to ensure we can buy enough land to never worry about neighbors shutting it down...

Another thread: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=14&t=178700
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can get land here in MO for $500 acre. Half woods and half  flat feilds.

Wherabouts in Missouri?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife was telling me last night you could get FREE land in Nebraska somewhere, but didnt know where it was located at,or any details except that it was free !!    
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texas is roughly about 250,000 square miles.  While much of it is as close to paradise as one can get,

For ya'll who are not fortunate to live in Texas.

You're kidding right?

I was thinking the same thing. I've been all over Texas, but I must have missed the paradise part.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Montana...no swamps up here.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texas is roughly about 250,000 square miles.  While much of it is as close to paradise as one can get,

You're kidding right?

I was thinking the same thing. I've been all over Texas, but I must have missed the paradise part.

Come to this part of the state.  5 lakes within 40 miles.  The least is 26 miles  of shoreline.  I'm not counting the smaller non-Texas sized lakes in between.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

Come to this part of the state.  5 lakes within 40 miles.  The least is 26 miles  of shoreline.  I'm not counting the smaller non-Texas sized lakes in between.

well...you get these people that drive down I-10 and pass through that claim "ive been to Texas".  theres SO much more to see than can be seen from the interstate.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where in Montana can I find cheap land?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Two friends have either bought or shopped for rural land (old farms or forest) and both recommend finding an area you like and getting a local realtor to help you look.  Most stuff still doesn't show up on the Internet.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Tagged
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Two friends have either bought or shopped for rural land (old farms or forest) and both recommend finding an area you like and getting a local realtor to help you look.  Most stuff still doesn't show up on the Internet.

GunLvr

Really?  I thought that anything with an MLS listing showed up on realtor.com.  Interesting...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

well...you get these people that drive down I-10 and pass through that claim "ive been to Texas".  theres SO much more to see than can be seen from the interstate.

Uh huh. The only stretch of I-10 I've been on (in TX) is between Houston and Beaumont.

At any rate, you won't find a ton of non-Texans that think Texas is paradise.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

Uh huh. The only stretch of I-10 I've been on (in TX) is between Houston and Beaumont.

which suits us just fine....less retirees and snowbirds clogging up our highways......i got a song for ya....

Welcome To Texas by Brian Burns:

"Welcome to Texas, glad that you came down.
You got lots of friends here, take a look around.
They come from California, they come from Ohio.
They come from Minnesota to get out of the snow.

You don’t like our drivin’; you don’t like our roads.
You make fun of the way we talk, make fun of our clothes.
But you clog up our highways, been pourin’ in for years;
If you don’t like the way we do it, what are you doin’ here?

Welcome to Texas,
Don’t anybody get me wrong;
We’re glad y’all came to see us,
Just don’t forget to go back home.

Looka here:
We don’t need your politics, we don’t need your prayers.
We don’t need your moral compass leadin’ us anywhere.
We don’t need your business, we don’t need your art.
We don’t really give a damn what it was you did up north.

Welcome to Texas,
Don’t anybody get me wrong; ah ah.
Just don’t forget to go back home.

Instrumental break.

You gripe about our music; gripe about our food.
Gripe about the weather here, say it’s way too hot for you.
We hear all your whinin’, and it starts wearin’ thin,
When we see our milk and honey runnin’ down your chin.

So come on down to Texas, have yourself a ball.
Take the kids to Six Flags, and the wife out to the mall.
Have a good vacation, but then don’t hesitate,
To point your car back up the road to that outbound interstate.

Welcome to Texas,
Don’t anybody get me wrong; Don't get me wrong.
Now don’t forget to go back home.

Get on gone, ha ha"
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

Really?  I thought that anything with an MLS listing showed up on realtor.com.  Interesting...

Thanks.

That's what they tell me, and from what I can tell lately in searching for real estate not everything is on realtor.com by a long shot.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1.  

I lived there for 2 years.  Paradise is not the word that comes to mind when I think about it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Well.....since you asked.  1/3 of Nebraska is rangeland called the SandHills. It is like the largest golf course in the world with sand as soil.  When there is erosion there are what appears to be golf course bunkers of fine white sand.   It also sits on top of the Ogalalla Aquifier, one of the largest underground sourses of fresh water on the planet.  OH yeah, since most is ranch land population is low, some counties are the size of New england States with 600-1000 human population.  You can hunt Pheasants to Elk.  Land is sold 10,000 acres at $20.00 an acre. Ted Turner is sold.  He is the largest landowner in Nebraska buying up all of the Sandhill property he can. He owns hundreds of thousands of acres.  Pisses the ranchers off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ive seen 50 acers for 20k in northern maine... probably recently logged and 50 miles from a paved road

yea just came back from up in Maine,,Wood is Food well managed but industrial controlled,,could be much worse they have growing trees to a science,forget about Old Growth,,,,,still a wonderful State
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well.....since you asked.  1/3 of Nebraska is rangeland called the SandHills.
[...]
Land is sold 10,000 acres at $20.00 an acre.

Link?  I'd seriously consider dropping $20k for 10,000 acres, even if it's in Nebraska.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where in Montana can I find cheap land?

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought this in NM for 5K:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=183710
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just bought this in NM for 5K:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=183710

$5K for 1.1 acres?  That doesn't qualify as cheap, IMO.  Nice looking land, though.  Congrats.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I paid 18,000 for 1 acre like that near Los Alamos in 1996. It's worth near 30,000 now. Very little private land available. (up north in New Mexico) Most land is owned by the Forest Service, BLM, Park Service or the Indians.  A damn good investment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[...]

Link?  I'd seriously consider dropping $20k for 10,000 acres, even if it's in Nebraska.

You're missing a digit there.  At $20 an acre, you'd only get 1000 acres.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife and I just bought a ranch in W VA. That is some beautiful country. Sept. 13 here we come.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[...]

Get map of Nebraska and look at the towns that are County seats.  Search for real estate offices and make some inquires that way.  Many maps label the area Sandhills.  You can tell the Sandhills area it
is the mid to upper Nebraska , western 40% of the state, and few towns. The largest hand planted forrest in the US (Halsey) is there, I have been camping, riding Dirt bikes and shooting  at the forrest  since the 1970's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

I don't know why you don't just move.  If I disliked my state as much as you seem to, I sure would.

You have gotten pretty predictable.

Its not that I dislike it. The part that cracks me up is the arrogant people that for whatever demented reason think this is the greatest place on the planet. There is really nothing special about texas especially the gun laws. But you wont get ANY texans to see past their nose on the subject of how great texas IS NOT. This state has more misplaced pride then all of england. Those people are the same way as far as pride goes. You can think you live in the greatest state all you want but when you start spouting off about it relentlessly it gets rather old to those of us that know better.

I live here for friends, family and work. Not because I think its the best place to live.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[...]

Oops.    Thanks.  Yeah, only 1000 acres.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Its not that I dislike it. The part that cracks me up is the arrogant people that for whatever demented reason think this is the greatest place on the planet. There is really nothing special about texas especially the gun laws. But you wont get ANY texans to see past their nose on the subject of how great texas IS NOT. This state has more misplaced pride then all of england. Those people are the same way as far as pride goes. You can think you live in the greatest state all you want but when you start spouting off about it relentlessly it gets rather old to those of us that know better.

I live here for friends, family and work. Not because I think its the best place to live.

Feel free to elaborate on what you think is wrong with Texas.  I know what I dislike about it, but it has little to do with Texas itself.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

I don't know why you don't just move.  If I disliked my state as much as you seem to, I sure would.

You have gotten pretty predictable.

ive traveled the world over.....all 50 states, canada, mexico, yukon, korea, kuwait, england, germany, holland, philipines, singapore, japan, blah blah blah....and there is STILL no other place i'd rather be.  we are prideful people this is true....we have a unique history and are proud of it?? are we wrong to be proud?  i was unaware pride in your home was a crime.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#32]
We Texans are very proud of our Texas.  I have never seen that sort of pride from a native or resident of another state.  It's not bragging if it's true.  We don't cover as many square miles as Alaska (certainly a lovely place), but we are much more inhabitable.  Our economy isn't as large as California, but we have much more freedom in Texas.

I can go to virtually anywhere (avoiding certain inner city areas) in Texas 250,000 square miles and feel at home.  It doesn't have to look like Hawaii, or Alaska, or the Rockie....but damn!..it's Texas and I love her.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[...]

Oops.    Thanks.  Yeah, only 1000 acres.

Do I hear "GROUP BUY"?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I sure see and hear about a lot of texans moving to idaho and montana. They can sell 100 acres and by10 here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feel free to elaborate on what you think is wrong with Texas.  I know what I dislike about it, but it has little to do with Texas itself.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Well since you asked. Here is a SHORT list because I am out for the weekend.

Compared to other states

Grandparents as parents texas ranks 2
High school graduates texas ranks 50
Ranks worst in teen birth rates
SAT scores - 1996,1997 1998 ranked 44 (couldnt quickly find more recent stats)
Highest number of children living in poverty  
Highest number of children without health insurance
Highest % of children without health insurance
Highest % of poor working parents without insurance
Highest % of population without health insurance
Mothers receiving prenatal care  ranked  45
Child support collections 45
Teen drug use down nationally, up 30% in Texas
Pollution released by manufacturing plants texas ranks # 1
Pollution by industrial plants in violation of Clean Air Act  texas ranks # 1
Greenhouse gas emissions ranks  texas ranks  1
Spending for parks and recreation  texas ranks  48
Spending for the arts texas ranks  48
Public libraries and branches texas ranks  46
Spending for the environment texas ranks  49
Best place to raise children texas ranks  48
Affordable Housing texas ranks  48
Home ownership texas ranks  44
Highest homes insurance rates in the nation texas ranks  1
Spending for police protection texas ranks  47
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Start an "Here's why I hate Texas" thread and stop hijacking this one.

I'm still waiting to hear about cheap land in Missouri!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Start an "Here's why I hate Texas" thread and stop hijacking this one.

I couldn't agree more.  Bastages.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#38]
tagged too
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Well since you asked. Here is a SHORT list because I am out for the weekend.

Compared to other states

Grandparents as parents texas ranks 2
High school graduates texas ranks 50
Ranks worst in teen birth rates
etc. etc.

Is there a link for all this data (not interested in Texas, but curious as to how a couple other states stack up)

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top