Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 5:58:30 PM EDT
First let me ask a question. If AR's are banned, how long away is that date going to be?

I am working and saving for college and I have enough money to pay for it, but I am considereing buying an AR in case they become banned before I am out of school and on my feet(about 2 1/2 years from now). If I buy the AR then I will have to take out a loan for part of my schooling (my money is pretty tight, $700 would set me back).

Should I buy the AR and take out a loan for school or will AR's be there when I have a real job and can buy things?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd buy it now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't get all lathered up about it right now.  But, in 2 1/2 years, as soon as you get a "real job" I'd put one on lay away.  At that time, it would not be good to procrastinate.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Buy a lower now, and slowly buy parts to complete it, much easier on the wallet that way.
View Quote

Ditto this advice.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
On the equipment exchange board there a couple people selling Rock River Arms lowers for $110, which is pretty good.

I'd recommend this route.  Don't blow your whole wad on guns but a lower is a relatively inexpensive ace in the hole.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy a lower now, and slowly buy parts to complete it, much easier on the wallet that way.
View Quote

Ditto this advice.
Scott
View Quote

Roger that..
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Good advice from smart folks.

I would squirrel one away when you have the financial ability.

I have an AR-10A2 carbine with 4 20 rd mags stuck back for "emergencies".
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Buy it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had "Gun-Tunnel-Vision" since I was 17 years old.

Every spare cent I have had in the past years has gone directly to hardware of some sort.

I had a broken window in my Ford Ranger for 8 months, but in that time, I managed to buy 6 guns.

Priorities.

It's definitley slowin down though.

BTW- On the "Buy the Lower" advice- This is a total lapse in common sense.

If you think that you can just buy the lower, then, if AR's are banned, at least you will still be able to get everything else to complete the gun , you are wrong.

When they are banned, ALL OF IT will be banned.

Uppers, Lowers, carriers, components, and all.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell, you live in Utah. I wouldn't worry at all.
But if you have to, I would buy the lower, and then I would buy mags. Hi-cap mags will be banned before guns.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldnt put it off, but then again I live in NJ.
Cant you sell blood or something?[thinking]
Eric
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I wasn't suggesting that buying a lower was a way to skirt banning, just that if he built it slowly (say over a semester) his wallet wouldn't feel the same pinch as a sudden $700 drop. It would help avoid taking out a loan.
View Quote

That makes sense.

But there are guys here who have said "I have 10 lowers ready for the day when AR's are banned"

Yeah.
OK.
So the ban will read...

"AR15's are now illegal. But you can still buy every component for them- Except the lower"
Nope.
My guess is that controls (IE-Serial Numbers) will be put on barrels in the near future, like is in Europe, and they will be an FFL item. It will be done under the guise "ballistic fingerprinting" or something like that.

mark my words.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If a ban occurs, it should be years away.  Being in Utah it would be one of the last states.

I would hold off but watch (as you do how) how the political climate goes.  If a ban bill is introduced AND passed, buy at least a lower.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]
NO time like the present. Do it ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Should I buy the AR and take out a loan for school or will AR's be there when I have a real job and can buy things?
View Quote

My opinion.. save for your school.. AR purchase can wait (IMHO)

Rick
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought my first AR in college.  What do you think student loans are for? You take out a few extra bills and buy one. You dont have to pay until you graduate and the interest also doesnt accrue during yuor schooling!  Just make sure not to take in school property, including parking lots.  Automatic expulsion in a lot of colleges.  Also lock it up during parties and dont tell anyone you have one.  Get a nice girlfriend to buy you your beer!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
IF you have a safe way to store it, get the LEGP  AR15.com model NOW.
Start getting magazines for it a few at a time.
Stash some ammo away every time you buy a mag.

Get the loan for the schooling and PAY IT OFF, looking at your LEGP every time you send the payment.
When you're in class, think about what you are doing with your education, and think about that nice black rifle, safely tucked away.

I agree with the others who say to get the schooling, but, I know that distracting feeling of wanting to get the gun, and you won't be distracted from your schooling if you know you've got it...

I'm trying to be realistic, but, I'm the guy who posted the "Anyone ever p/o the wife with a gun purchase?" thread...
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]
BusMaster is right.  That feeling wont go away.  Before you know it, you'll have a wife and kids and no money for an AR.  God help you if you get a wife who hates guns, you'll never get one.  It easier to keep one in this scenario then trying to get a new one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't bother buying anything now. The "assault weapon" ban will sunset in 2004 and you will be able to buy whatever you want. Well, at least that is what I was told in November.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Don't bother buying anything now. The "assault weapon" ban will sunset in 2004 and you will be able to buy whatever you want. Well, at least that is what I was told in November.
View Quote

When donkeys fly out of my ass!

Since when does the govt. give back a right that they've taken away? Look at DUI laws, hell some years ago cops would follow you home or even give you a ride. Now you go directly to jail and you are Fucked. There are plenty more examples but thats one. If anybody really believes that the Brady law will not be kept going and even broadened thru more legislation, they are smoking too much crack.

They are coming at us from 10 different directions. New bills are introduced concerning guns every week on capitol hill. Don't forget about the lawsuits driving manufactureres out of buisiness, the non-renewal of thousands of FFLs, states passing new bans of their own and on and on.... They will not stop so neither should we.

Greg
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Damn, I wish somebody would have todl me that... Wait, on second thought I would have picked up the lower and a day later gone down and picked up an upper.  hahahaha
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I have three suggestion.Buy Buy Buy
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Got to agree with Garand Shooter. Buy lower now the piece it together as money is available.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I personally would buy a stripped lower when you can scrounge up enough money. I know its tough while you are going to school. I have been there and done it. But when there is a desire there is a means. I just beat the ban here in CA by one day. I did not know that there was going to be a ban that would pass. Stupid me, I did not keep up with the politics. But I did get lucky and bought a lower receiver for $110.00 the day before the ban went into effect. Boy am I glad that I happened to walk in the gun store that day.

Good luck!

Dan
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wasn't suggesting that buying a lower was a way to skirt banning, just that if he built it slowly (say over a semester) his wallet wouldn't feel the same pinch as a sudden $700 drop. It would help avoid taking out a loan.
View Quote

That makes sense.

But there are guys here who have said "I have 10 lowers ready for the day when AR's are banned"

Yeah.
OK.
So the ban will read...

"AR15's are now illegal. But you can still buy every component for them- Except the lower"
Nope.
My guess is that controls (IE-Serial Numbers) will be put on barrels in the near future, like is in Europe, and they will be an FFL item. It will be done under the guise "ballistic fingerprinting" or something like that.

mark my words.
View Quote

See guys I told you he would be reasonable [:D] .... Anyway, I *do* have to agree with him ENTIRELY on this!! Its o.k. to buy lowers but be sure you are acquiring parts as well. Just having a lower sitting is no guarantee and its USELESS if you can't get the other needed parts [>Q]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#31]
The ammo will go first...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top