Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Home schooling = parents trying to protect their children from society, sad thing is they will grow up - leave the home and be totally unprepared for life , and fail in it.............

My poor unprepared, homeschooled daughter just got a merit scholarship to an expensive private university.

Dad bought her a new 2004 Cadillac CTS as part of the deal.  She earned scholarship, she got vehicle from dad.  We both made out.

Plenty of kids aren't prepared for life.  Some are homeschooled.  Some go through public schools.

Funny thing about your hypothesis.  There sure are some big schools SEEKING homeschooled kids.

Wonder why?

Edited to add:  Cyanide, glad you have seen the light.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]

TN and MS are pretty friendly to home schooling.  We did it one year while moving.  The kids loved it and still beg for it again.  They are in a private school for now but we may home school again next year since we prefer a classical school and the one around here doesn't start until sixth grade.  The social goof balls that I have seen that were home schooled always had goofy parents. YMMV.  I guess I would rather trust my wife that the dude  the county hires who has a "certificate" to teach and majored in "education" but is not required to demonstrate ANY knowledge of what he is teaching.

Moreover, the tools available to parents on the internet are amazing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
home schooling is a sick practice. akin to being a quaker.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Home schooling = parents trying to protect their children from society, sad thing is they will grow up - leave the home and be totally unprepared for life , and fail in it.............

Bullshit.

Edit to add that I read the change of mind and appreciate it. Change bullshit to incorrect. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was home schooled, don't do that to your kids trust me. Especially if you are trying to shelter them from the "real world"

BTW, i was only home schooled for 1 year.

My first year of home schooling was the hardest. The public school system teaches you (without you knowing it) to only accept so much instruction from your parents. I didn't start until 8th grade and went ape the first year. Once I got over my rebellion and learned that it was because my parents cared enough to sacrifice for my education and our family began to get closer. I can sincerely understand your one year of home schooling being a bust.

I really do believe the sheltering charge to be a straw man argument. There is no way to insulate children from the world in any real way. I prefer to think of it this way, gangs, drugs, sex, are all working into lower and lower ages. With a little 'sheltering' I can postpone my children's exposure to these things until they are several years older. Many of these decisions will affect the rest of their lives. Would you want some ten year old influenced by negative peer pressure deciding if you were going to take up smoking or rather a sixteen or eighteen year old making the decision nearly immune from negative peer pressure?

To answer the first question posted, the local public school district asked our church (the church arranges Iowa standard tests for its homeschooling families) if they could use our test results in their average! We have over a hundred home schooling families ranging from only one child to four and five! We told them to pound sand! They already get our tax money, we were not willing to give them the fruits of our efforts as well. Planerench (homeschooled, wife homeschooled, three children homeschooled) out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have relatives that home school.  those kids are smart..........and socially retarded.   how sad.

No nerds or goths at your local public school? I thought so.

BTW those kids may very easily end up employing a bunch of those dumbass, socially developed kids from the local HS someday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't know. With a little milk and some brown sugar they can be quite tasty!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#9]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Read the papers . . .
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As someone I read once said, who in their right mind thinks the best way to socialize a small child is to put them with others small children?

Could it be this?

As Knowles said, “Where did we ever get the idea that 2,000 13-year-olds were the ideal people with which to socialize other 13-year-olds?”

(from my paper)

I guess that's it.  Thanks.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I see Imbroglio's position is now filled.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah, it is so much worse than what I went through in the "Lord of the Flies" public schools.  It has taken me most of my adult life to overcome all the crazy bullshit that took place during K-12 and I was by no means even close to being the most screwed up from it all.  Worse, I still have to deal with so many publik skool cretins in my daily affairs.  How could Quakerism come even close to the hell that is modern ignoramus America?  If it's not your cup of tea, fine, but don't impose your beliefs on others.  

I will find an alternative way to educate my kids, probably private schools and lots of parental supplemental teaching.  The trouble I have is finding a secular private school that isn't military but also doesn't fill the kids heads with some hippie leftist bs either.  I just want my kids to learn, not be indoctrinated into some asinine agenda.  Hard to do...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was home schooled, don't do that to your kids trust me. Especially if you are trying to shelter them from the "real world"

BTW, i was only home schooled for 1 year.

Perhaps it's time that a (currently) homeschooled student gives his say.

I have been homeschooled from day one and I think that the experience has been great. My mom is very dedicated to teaching my little brother and myself. She has taken the time to learn the higher math/science material and thus is a highly capable teacher in every subject. I wouldn't go to public school for anything, as I learn all I need to know at home.

MTechgunman, you shouldn't be telling people not to homeschool their children as you were only homeschooled for a year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#15]
If you're the kind of parent that cares enough to want to homeschool your kid, you're going to be actively involved in their education even if they attend public school.  At the end of the day, parents that care are going to have productive and succesful kids, and parents that don't aren't.

With that said, I can still pick a homeschool kid out of a crowd.  They may get along great with adults, but I have never seen one that's "normal" around other children.  YMMV of course, but then most of the kids like that I have come in contact with were homeschooled because of whacked-out religious reasons and the kids likely would have been freaks even if they went to public school.

Personally, I wouldn't trade my mispent youth for anything.  I don't think I am succesful in spite of it, but because of it.  My parents equiped me early on with the skills to know just how far I could push the envelope without long term repurcussions.  I went over that line a few times and learned the appropriate lessons (amazing what time in jail with a felony charge hanging over you will do to straighten you out).
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#17]

With that said, I can still pick a homeschool kid out of a crowd. They may get along great with adults, but I have never seen one that's "normal" around other children. YMMV of course, but then most of the kids like that I have come in contact with were homeschooled because of whacked-out religious reasons and the kids likely would have been freaks even if they went to public school.

You, sir, are stereotyping all homeschoolers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
With that said, I can still pick a public schooled kid out of a crowd. Other than the constant fighting they may get along great with kids as long as they're "cool", but I have never seen one that's "normal" around adults. YMMV of course, but then most of the kids like that I have come in contact with were public-schooled because of whacked-out parents and the kids likely wouldn't have been freaks if they had not been schooled at the government's liberal meat grinder.

I corrected it for you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

With that said, I can still pick a homeschool kid out of a crowd. They may get along great with adults, but I have never seen one that's "normal" around other children. YMMV of course, but then most of the kids like that I have come in contact with were homeschooled because of whacked-out religious reasons and the kids likely would have been freaks even if they went to public school.

Yes, yes I am.  Don't like it?  Don't homeschool your kid.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
With that said, I can still pick a public schooled kid out of a crowd. Other than the constant fighting they may get along great with kids as long as they're "cool", but I have never seen one that's "normal" around adults. YMMV of course, but then most of the kids like that I have come in contact with were public-schooled because of whacked-out parents and the kids likely wouldn't have been freaks if they had not been schooled at the government's liberal meat grinder.

I corrected it for you.

liberal meat grinder?  jesus h christ, here's your tinfoil dude, make a whole collection of hats for the entire clan.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
liberal meat grinder?  jesus h christ, here's your tinfoil dude, make a whole collection of hats for the entire clan.

I'm proud of the fact that my parents were able and willing to devote their time to my education and upbringing, and to instill in me strong morals which have kept me from having a "misspent youth".  I may be an introvert, but I'd rather be than than a party animal who stays up all night, hooting and hollering, breaking beer bottles, missing half their classes, happy with a passing grade, etc., like so many of my neighbors here in Oxford.

If you haven't read the papers I posted, please take the time to read them before you attack home-schoolers.

You may argue that I do not have experience with public school so I have no room to speak.  You may be right.  I don't know all that much about public school.  But I have talked with people who went, I have seen what many of them act like (as I described above), and my parents have told me about their experiences with public school.  I have also met many home-schoolers, and they are almost always well-adjusted, nice, generous, thoughtful and intelligent (though generally more introverted and quiet).

Now I am not saying that all home-schoolers are good and all public-schoolers are bad.  As you know, 97.63% of generalizations are false.  I've met plenty of intelligent, well-adjusted public-schoolers.  But the average home-schooler could kick the average public-schooler's butt on critical thinking, work ethic and attitude about life, and that's a proven fact.

However, your point that parents who send their kids to school but are very active in the child's life turning out much better than most other public-schooled kids is true.  I think that is one of the main reasons for the difference between public-schooled kids and home-schooled kids.  Any parent who takes the time and effort to home-school their kids is naturally more involved with their child's upbringing than the average parent.  A few parents who are active in their children's life choose to send them to school - but since the positive interaction between parent and child is still there, the child benifits despite the public schooling.  The parent is the strongest influence in a child's life.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I have always wondered how home schooled children perform in college.  I graduated from college, but I am not sure I could teach every high school course I took as well as some of my teachers.

How many home school programs contain physics, advanced chemistry, advanced biology, calculus, trigonometry?  How many parents are qualified to teach these subjects?  

Minimum high school standards for graduation are pretty low even with new standardized testing.  My 10 year old could pass the reading portion of the test right now.

I have two kids in public schools, but I spend a lot of time supplementing their learning in areas they aren't exposed to in school.  I am also fortunate to live in a suburb that has a great school system, but it isn't without its problems.  I also believe that socialization is as much a reason for going to public schools as learning is and I don't think that can be duplicated at home.  

I will move my kids to private school, or home schooling if I ever think that it would be a better option for them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm proud of the fact that my parents were able and willing to devote their time to my education and upbringing, and to instill in me strong morals which have kept me from having a "misspent youth".  I may be an introvert, but I'd rather be than than a party animal who stays up all night, hooting and hollering, breaking beer bottles, missing half their classes, happy with a passing grade, etc., like so many of my neighbors here in Oxford.

If you haven't read the papers I posted, please take the time to read them before you attack home-schoolers.

You may argue that I do not have experience with public school so I have no room to speak.  You may be right.  I don't know all that much about public school.  But I have talked with people who went, I have seen what many of them act like (as I described above), and my parents have told me about their experiences with public school.  I have also met many home-schoolers, and they are almost always well-adjusted, nice, generous, thoughtful and intelligent (though generally more introverted and quiet).

Now I am not saying that all home-schoolers are good and all public-schoolers are bad.  As you know, 97.63% of generalizations are false.  I've met plenty of intelligent, well-adjusted public-schoolers.  But the average home-schooler could kick the average public-schooler's butt on critical thinking, work ethic and attitude about life, and that's a proven fact.

Proven where?  At the "I'm a homeschooled nerd" convention?

If your parents cared enought to homeschool you, you still would have turned out just fine because they CARED.  You're happy being an introverted sheltered "well adjusted" product of homeschooling?  Bully for you.  I'll take being an outspoken crude "mal adjusted" product of public schooling anyday.

Hey, when that big black man asks you for some spare change in the alley, try not to shit yourself ok?  There's a big bad mean ole real world outside of that homeschool.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have always wondered how home schooled children perform in college.  I graduated from college, but I am not sure I could teach every high school course I took as well as some of my teachers.

How many home school programs contain physics, advanced chemistry, advanced biology, calculus, trigonometry?  How many parents are qualified to teach these subjects?  

Minimum high school standards for graduation are pretty low even with new standardized testing.  My 10 year old could pass the reading portion of the test right now.

I have two kids in public schools, but I spend a lot of time supplementing their learning in areas they aren't exposed to in school.  I am also fortunate to live in a suburb that has a great school system, but it isn't without its problems.  I also believe that socialization is as much a reason for going to public schools as learning is and I don't think that can be duplicated at home.  

I will move my kids to private school, or home schooling if I ever think that it would be a better option for them.

Home-schooling parents are usually willing to learn with the child if there is a subject that the parent is not knowledgeful in.  If the parent cannot learn the subject, the child can still learn by being assigned good books on the subjects.

The key is that if a parent home-schools their kid, they must be very willing to work hard, perhaps harder than their child.  That is one of the reasons why there aren't very many home-schooling parents, percentagewise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If your parents cared enought to homeschool you, you still would have turned out just fine because they CARED.  You're happy being an introverted sheltered "well adjusted" product of homeschooling?  Bully for you.  I'll take being an outspoken crude "mal adjusted" product of public schooling anyday.

Hey, when that big black man asks you for some spare change in the alley, try not to shit yourself ok?  There's a big bad mean ole real world outside of that homeschool.

It looks like you have a problem with critical thinking.

It is a proven fact that home-schooled kids, on average, get higher test scores on their ACTs, SATs, etc.

By the way, I was not "sheltered."  You clearly know nothing about home-schooling.  I am guessing you did not read my papers.  Just because I'm somewhat of an introvert does not mean I take shit, and wave the white flag when danger rears its head.  I know how the world works, I am not afraid of a "big black man in the alley", and for you to try to throw groundless accusations and insults at me and make stupid assumptions shows that critical thinking is not one of your strong suits.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If your parents cared enought to homeschool you, you still would have turned out just fine because they CARED.

FYI, I edited my post and addressed that thought . . . and just so you know, it was BEFORE I read your post.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

By the way, if I was a "homeschooled nerd" who is "afraid of a big black man in the alley", I don't think I would be so strongly supporting home-schooling, and factually and decisively responding to your "arguements".  I'd probably be saying, "Oh, he's mean.  I'm afraid he'll make me feel bad.  I'm not going to continue arguing 'cause I don't like getting yelled at.  Whimper whimper!"

I'm not afraid of standing up for what I believe in, and I have a lot of strong beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Home-schooling parents are usually willing to learn with the child if there is a subject that the parent is not knowledgeful in.  If the parent cannot learn the subject, the child can still learn by being assigned good books on the subjects.

The key is that if a parent home-schools their kid, they must be very willing to work hard, perhaps harder than their child.  That is one of the reasons why there aren't very many home-schooling parents, percentagewise.

I don't see how good intentions and a book from the library will make up for 36 weeks of instruction from someone with a master's degree in Physics, Chemistry, English, or Mathematics.  If you don't believe me go and pick up a textbook for one of these subjects and see how far you get.  Lecturing, experiments, scientific and lab equipment are also not likely to be found in the home setting.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't see how good intentions and a book from the library will make up for 36 weeks of instruction from someone with a master's degree in Physics, Chemistry, English, or Mathematics.  If you don't believe me go and pick up a textbook for one of these subjects and see how far you get.  Lecturing, experiments, scientific and lab equipment are also not likely to be found in the home setting.  

As a matter of fact, we did have experiment kits with videos, many lecture videos on relativity, quantum physics, basic and advanced algebra, history, chemestry, and more.  The teachers on these videos are excellent.  The video series are called "superstar teacher series" or something like that.

While this may not count since it was not exactly part of the curriculum, I read many textbooks on many subjects in my spare time, especially science and astronomy.  And I understood them.  I knew more about astronomy by age 10 than most people will ever know.  I also loved watching Bill Nye.  When I was 15 I did an astronomy course through the mail from Indiana University and got an A.

With everything but the curriculum aside, I think I learned everything that any public-schooled kid would ever be taught.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Actually, several of my teachers didn't understand the subjects that they taught.    I had one teacher who would sleep through the class, and another that would hit on the students.  I'm pretty sure that I can FIND a way to do a better job than that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, several of my teachers didn't understand the subjects that they taught.    I had one teacher who would sleep through the class, and another that would hit on the students.  I'm pretty sure that I can FIND a way to do a better job than that.

I had bad teachers too, especially in college where the ranks of teachers are swelled with failed, but well educated people.  Having a bad teacher is part of going to school and learning to make do with what you are given.  I don't go one day without having to deal with someone who is wrong and does not know it, or too stupid to care, yet I deal with them and go on.  I am sure that all school districts are different and I happen to live in one with very high standards for the teachers and that is large enough to offer college prep classes that will help students who want to be successful in college.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a matter of fact, we did have experiment kits with videos, many lecture videos on relativity, quantum physics, basic and advanced algebra, history, chemestry, and more.  The teachers on these videos are excellent.  The video series are called "superstar teacher series" or something like that.

While this may not count since it was not exactly part of the curriculum, I read many textbooks on many subjects in my spare time, especially science and astronomy.  And I understood them.  I knew more about astronomy by age 10 than most people will ever know.  I also loved watching Bill Nye.

With everything but the curriculum aside, I think I learned everything that any public-schooled kid would ever be taught.

Watching a 2 hour tape is hardly comparable to 36 weeks x 5 days x 1 hour per day = 180 hours of classroom instruction per class.  That is a lot of tapes and you get to ask questions and get real answers from real people.  In some cases I believe you are correct on the learning everything that a public schooled kid would be taught, but our district is blessed with lots of money and stringent curriculum and teacher qualifications.  You can't teach advanced high school courses without the proper degree and college entrance exam scores are used to track their performance.  

Children in small districts in my state and many others are at a great disadvantage.  Successful completion of a 4 year major college degree is only attained by about 1 out of 3 students who get into college to begin with.  Many college degrees now require 5 years of study and you must be in the top few % if you want to get into Medical, Law, Vet School, or Engineering programs.  

I don't think college is for everyone and I know a lot of people with degrees unrelated to their job.  But if you want to be a doctor, or lawyer, or an Engineer you had better have every advantage you can get and that includes knowing how to deal with adversity, bad teachers, poor advice from school advisers, etc. etc. and still being able to overcome.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Watching a 2 hour tape. . .

Actually, each subject is about 30 45-minute lessons.  That's approximately equivalent to a college course.  And they come with a book to take tests on.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, each subject is about 30 45-minute lessons.  That's approximately equivalent to a college course.  And they come with a book to take tests on.

A tape is not a person with a master's degree.  Go watch a movie on hang gliding and strap one on and see how far you can fly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A tape is not a person with a master's degree.  Go watch a movie on hang gliding and strap one on and see how far you can fly.

I do not understand your point.  These people on the tapes were college professors, and they are among the best.  I'm sure they all had PH.Ds.

When you take a atmospheric science class, do they ask you to take equipment to a storm and study it?  No, you listen to a teacher and read the textbook, and get tested on it.  Just like you do with those videos.  Besides, we watched these videos BEFORE we went to college.  It's not like they're meant to prepare you to pass your graduation exam.

Also, I'd bet that most teachers only have a bachelor anyway.

When I went to college, I was prepared for it.  Sure it was different than what I had ever experienced before, but that didn't stop me from getting a GPA of 3.68 my first semester.  Half of the textbooks were completely unread too, and I hardly studied.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had bad teachers too, especially in college where the ranks of teachers are swelled with failed, but well educated people.  Having a bad teacher is part of going to school and learning to make do with what you are given.  I don't go one day without having to deal with someone who is wrong and does not know it, or too stupid to care, yet I deal with them and go on.  I am sure that all school districts are different and I happen to live in one with very high standards for the teachers and that is large enough to offer college prep classes that will help students who want to be successful in college.  

I hope to avoid the "too stupid to care" hurdle by signing my children up for the various local groups when we reach a subject that is over my head.  There are tons of clubs with people who are passionate about the subject and would love to share their REAL knowledge of the topic as opposed to heartlessly regurgitating what they learned from a crusty old professor 20 years ago.  With homeschooling I get to hand select the teacher that he has rather than fight with inferior ones tooth and nail to beg an education for my child.  

I’ll put it this way, where will I learn more about gun ownership…at a 3 hour NRA class, or going and spending a day at a shoot with some of you all who actually own the weapons and have used them in every way imaginable?  Does the NRA have a bumpfiring class?  Learning is a discipline and can be a chore if it is not presented well, but enthusiasm is contagious and has the power to change the sometimes tedious chore of learning into a pleasure.  I don't want them to learn despite circumstances that make it difficult, I want them to embrace learning every step of the way and ENJOY it.  People learn better that way.  And my kids will have plenty of other opportunity to develop fortitude.

And for what it’s worth, I made my decision to homeschool because that’s what I feel is best for my family.  I couldn’t care less what other people do for their kids.  My decision does not imply an opinion about another person’s decision.  I find it funny that many people will argue against homeschooling as if my choice directly affects them or in some way suggests that I believe they made an inferior choice for their family.  Some times I get the impression that people feel they must defend their choice by nit picking mine.  I don’t know your family, I’m not part of your family, so I don’t know what choices are right for you.  Not sure why folk think they know my family and can determine what is right for us.  How can a person say that homeschooling will make my child an antisocial geek?  That’s just as ridiculous as saying sending a child to public school will turn them into a felon.  Absurd.  

A quality education can be had in public and private schools.  I’m sure it happens all the time.  And on the other hand some kids graduate and can’t read.  I’ve chosen to take matters into my own hand.  Why is that a problem for some people?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My cousin home schools her kid in the same district that we are in.  I would say her daughter is more advanced academically but has suffered greatly in the social arena.  She talks like an adult because thats all she hears all day.  Thats fine for an adult, but not a 13 year old trying to make friends.  My cousin has now chosed to put her into the local high school.  This very very sheltered kid is in for a rude awakening.  The only saving grace is my daughter introducing her to friends that are known to be ok.

There is a homeschool family in our hood and their kids soemtimes play with ours. Nice kids.

About two weeks ago, during dinner, we had the oldest come over and ask if we knew how to do Algebra. I told him to come back in  half hour as we were having dinner.

He came back. He asked for some help on some algebra cause his parents didn't know how to do it. Now he's been back a few more times and i'm ready to put the brakes on it. The parents don't even wave to us or have come over to introduce themselves.

Both my wife(math degree) and myself are very involved at our kids school. I am there almost everyday and I am at the teachers disposal. If there is any problem they have access to my bat phone. i can be at their school within 4 minutes. My kids do very well in public school because I am involved TOTALLY in their education. I don't take any bullshite.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes I am.  Don't like it?  Don't homeschool your kid.  

I am the one who is homeschooled. FTR, I am involved with several clubs, including 4-H and the local gun club, so I do get to socialize with other people.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It's a double-edged sword.  Some of my neighbors home school their kids & those kids are very smart & likable.  The mother does the teaching for the most part & she has a degree in Elementary Education & she has taught public school before her kids reached school age.

My concern is that there is apparently no requirement for the teacher to have any certification or training.  I have some friends who are going to home school their daughter this fall, starting her in first grade.  Again, the mother will be doing most of the schooling.  In this case however, neither the mother nor the father have any degrees beyond high school, although the mother has taken quite a few business courses & some liberal arts courses.  Neither parent is dumb.  In fact, they make a good living through street smarts & hard work.

What happens when the child learns all that the parent knows?  (I realize that isn't practical, but suppose that the parent teacher is bad with high school Chemistry, Physics, etc?)

Comments?

I am a junior in High school and have been home schooled the whole way through and love every minute of it.

Actually my mom has a degree in biology(which is one of my worst subjects) and nothing else.

When you say that the kids learn only what the parents know its an impossiblity[except in extreme cases].  This is because the kids learn from the curriculum and the parent are only there to explain and to help the student understand.

When we[the family] first started the high school homeschooling program [4 kids] mom was learning alot of the info right along with us kids.  

HEHEHE which means after 4 kids all doing geometry and level2 algebra[even some advanced math] she's a math wiz!!!

And the socialization aspect is mostly I [16years old] have two jobs and a paper route.  One of these jobs is at a Funeral home were you a constantly dealing with people who are going through tough times.  My boss says I do a great job[don't mean to bragg, just making a point].

I love homeschooling cuz I can take mornings off to go hunting and do my school later in the afternoon.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My cousin home schools her kid in the same district that we are in.  I would say her daughter is more advanced academically but has suffered greatly in the social arena.  She talks like an adult because thats all she hears all day.  Thats fine for an adult, but not a 13 year old trying to make friends.  My cousin has now chosed to put her into the local high school.  This very very sheltered kid is in for a rude awakening.  The only saving grace is my daughter introducing her to friends that are known to be ok.

There is a homeschool family in our hood and their kids soemtimes play with ours. Nice kids.

About two weeks ago, during dinner, we had the oldest come over and ask if we knew how to do Algebra. I told him to come back in  half hour as we were having dinner.

He came back. He asked for some help on some algebra cause his parents didn't know how to do it. Now he's been back a few more times and i'm ready to put the brakes on it. The parents don't even wave to us or have come over to introduce themselves.

Both my wife(math degree) and myself are very involved at our kids school. I am there almost everyday and I am at the teachers disposal. If there is any problem they have access to my bat phone. i can be at their school within 4 minutes. My kids do very well in public school because I am involved TOTALLY in their education. I don't take any bullshite.

In fairness, I'd say this kid's parents are the exception, rather than the typical home-school family.  Here we have support groups and networks making a wide variety of specialized, higher level instruction available.  If we were still homeschooling and the math was over my head I could easily find a tutor in the group.  Also, there are great multimedia resources out there on just about any subject you'd need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top