Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2001 9:38:17 AM EDT
I'm taking my son who will be 6 on flag day.I bought him a Rossi 62C before he was born.Repeater but has a exposed hammer.I dont know about the iron sights though.I as thinking
something with a red dot.I want him to hit something and be lots of fun.Problem is I want him to shoot his first.I still have the rifle I first shot.I know B-sqaure makes a mont to go in the rear sight dovetial,but theres no time to get it.i guess he could take a few with the Rossi and then switch if need be.Well I'm off to the shop.

Hope it dont rain tommorow he wont be the only one disappointed.Its his last day of school,and he did very well I might add.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
While a red dot would be easier for your son, the iron sights, with some patience on your part, will work out just fine.

Use really big and reactive targets. Balloons if it's not too windy. Maybe keep the range a little shorter(I know these are obvious). Use the best ear and eye protection. Lots of snacks and break time.

The key is to keep it fun, comfortable and not too taxing.

My kids do just fine with open sights.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#2]
ARMALITE FAN, that is great.....I remember some of my early shhoing with my Father and Grandfather.  Those are some of the best memories that I have.  Plus, you know that you can instill the importance of proper safety measures.  It is a shame that more kids can't be introduced to shooting by responsible adults in their life instaed of learning to shoot on their own and possibly learn bad habits, or even worse never experience it's thrill and become an anti.  I know I can't wait to see my son shoot his first time.  He is only 4 now, but does go to the range with me often, and already shows great interest.  Plus I have started the safety training now and he is showing proper respect for guns already.  Good luck with your day!!  By the way, I like the idea of starting them off with open sights to learn the basics of proper sight alignment and them move on from there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I work with new shooters all the time and I guess I only have one or two things that I've found that I can pass along. Ear and eye protection are a must as it's a good habit to instill for a lifetime of shooting. Match the gun to the kid. I really hate these stories I hear about how someone will take a kid and put him behind some beheamoth of a rifle and laugh their asses off when it kicks the crap out of some kid. You may just have created an anti gunner and at the very least created a recoil sensitve shooter. Also, and without a doubt, make sure that what you do and what other shooters around you do is a good example for your son to see. Believe me that this is a wonderful activity for you and your son to share. Teach respect for the power that you have when you have a gun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Way to go Armalite! I took my son last year for the first time on his 5th B-day. I had him shoot a Ruger 10-22 with a short stock that fit him. We had a 4 power scope on it because I also wanted him to hit the target. I also had him try my single six to give him the experience with iron sights. I found that going from the scope to the iron sights and back was good when he would get impatient because he wasn't hitting anything this worked out great. I also too recommend the use of reactive targets cans, balloons, steel swingers anything they love that. We kept some of the targets and hung them in his room when we got home. Good Luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Started the saftey training when he turned 2.I'll watch him extra carefull tommorow because its been a big build up.I'm a NRA instructor in just about everything except shotgun.Also I'm getting pretty patient with my boys.MOST of the time.

Just bought a box of clays and some ballons.I belong to a private club and we should be by ourselves tommorow.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
HHOOOO RRAAAAHHHH!!!  AF,you are doing the right thing. My son started with a Davy Crickett .22 at age 4.  Roger on the reactive targets, they build enthusiam.  Maybe you want to compromise and go for a peep sight?
      [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Not being a father myself, I took my niece shooting at the local range.  She shot a Ruger KP90 9mm and did great with the open sites.  I did keep the target close and an easy one to focus on.  She did great and has got the bug to shoot some of my other firearms.  She still likes the Ruger the best.  It is also the one she has shot the most. IIt fits her hand much better.

This is the one true way to ensure gun rights in the future.  Pass on the pleasure of shooting to the next generation.  After we took her shooting, she had a much diffrent opinion of firearms.

OK, I will get of my soapbox now.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I had the privilege to start that early.  I did not start shooting until I was 10 or 11.  I shot iron sights for the first 4 or 5 years and am glad I did.  It taught me proper shooting technique and believe it made me a better shooter.  While it is fin to hit the target, I believe it is better to teach on iron sights.  I would suggest to try it.  I don't think he will get bored if he is not hitting the target however; if he does you could use a red dot sight to get him hooked then learn to hone the fundamentals with good old iron sights. Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Went very well.I was a little worried about him getting bored.Forget that.

It was his last day of school.We picked up his report card,and when he walked in he wore his shooting glasses and ear muffs.He proudly told everyone what they were for.I was alittle worried someone would get bent out of shape.Then I thought,screw it it his day and our right.No body said anything but good luck.
I really like this town.

He shot 250 rounds and wanted to shoot more.We arrivied at 10:45 and left at 2:30.I set up a 1/4" sheet of plywood at about 10-12yrds.Then I hung clay pigieons on some small nails at the top.On the first shot I liuned up the sights and he pulled the trigger.Believe me I was praying.Well it was answered with a hit.Man was he excitied!Well we kept shooting.In the first 25 rounds or so I noticied he was pulling the trigger real hard.I tried to explian but it wasnt getting through.He was listening though.I had him put his finger on the trigger then I placed mine on top of his.I told him to tell me when the sights looked right.Then I squeezed it .Bingo,he started hitting about 8-9 out of 10.He used his Rossi 62 carbine.The stock was way to long,he just put it under his arm.I have a single shot bolt that Im going to cut the stock and barrel on.We did try a few shots standing in front of the 100 yard berm.I just kinda held some of the weight and let the rifle float.He had control of the movement and sight alignment.I think he understand both pretty well. Not once did he break a saftey rule.He told me this was one of the best days he has ever had. When I finally got him to leave and eat lunch,he was the politest child youm ever seen.He said please and thank you to the waitress evry time she came by.he was so polite the other girls were coming by to talk to him.
He proudly told them what he had been shooting with his dad.All of them thought it was great.
  I'm really proud of the way he acted and carried himself.I told him it was one of the best days I ever had too.I also get a hug just about every time he walks by.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, life is good, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Amen FatMan, Amen!

By all means, we all need to train our young ones to shoot and to respect guns.  By the time that they are teenagers, they are no longer interested in spending time with us, no longer interested in our interests, nor even their own best interests.  

On my personal front, I have taken my son shooting at the range, and enjoy when he has a good day at the range.  I know he'll be pro-gun, assuming they have them around still when he's old enough to purchase his own...  Guess that means I gotta get out of the PRK though, don't it...  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Armalite Fan,
    Thank you for sharing your truely memorable day with us.   It just doesn't get any better than that!

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I may have said it before, but all your children need to know is to fear God, shoot straight , and speak the truth.........
 Makes me happy too, wait til he wins his first marksmanship award......and again..OOOOOHH  RRAAAAAHHHH!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
His favorite word is responsibility.He was proud of himself.I'm proud of him too.Well he EARNED it.Better than that touchy feelgood stuff the liberouls like to spread.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Just like to mention what he ended up shooting.
He started with his Rossi 62 and iron sights.He did pretty good with it despite the stock being to long.He had to tuck it under his arm.I also had a Mossberg 151 that I mounted a red dot were the rear sight goes.He had ton tuck that one under his arm also.The battery went out after a few shots.It didnt show up to well on orange clays anyway.I was worried he wouldnt understand the sight alignment,but it was a nonissue.

I do have a Remington 580 single shot that I'm going to cut down.Also shorten the barrel to lighten it.It has a peep sight on it already.I think Ill take off the plastic barrel contour and drill and tap it for a weaver mount.That way I can mount a red dot with out it being in the line of sight.No reason for the red dot other than he has seen mine and thinks there cool.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top