Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
He is getting a look at you wife when he does that section of yard.  He can't see from any other angle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It would definitely annoy me, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was just bored and liked to mow
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Have your attorneys draft a letter requesting him to stop immediately and have it mailed certified delivery.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as your deed shows the property lines, I’d say let him mow. One less crap for you to mow around.
And time is so precious
View Quote

That's fine, until he goes senile, and after years of mowing the OP's lawn, he becomes convinced that it is his property, and then pulls out a shotgun or a killdozer when he thinks he is being cheated out of his own property by some kind of fraud.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Throw some chain out in the grass and let him find it with his mower.
View Quote

Or better yet, some cable.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus Christ OP just let it go. Why the fuck would you worry about it to the point of posting a manifesto in GD?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
He wants you to fuck his wife.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your neighbor might be in the early stages of dementia.  He is probably losing some of his short term memory.  It sounds like he doesn't get upset when you ask him not to mow.  I'm thinking he simply is just forgetting you don't want him to mow it.
View Quote

This.

Only in GD would people default to a hostile takeover of the 8' surrounding the guy wire
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Start mowing some of his.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The replies here are brutal. Let the old guy mow. My neighbor does the same for me, because he's mowing the adjacent spot anyway and it only adds 2 minutes. It's not like he's mowing around your swimming pool or something.

Now about the unfriendly dog, I would have words. And follow up as many times as it takes. I did with my (other) neighbor and after the second talk, he resolved the problem. Now we're both happy.
View Quote

I've had words with him about his dog.....same thing happens. He locks it up for a week or two....then it's back out running through my back yard barking at me.  

Just like the mowing.....he stops for a few weeks, then he's right back at it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like the reverse of my neighbor and me.

We live out in a rural area, back out on a farm road outside of town.
We both have around 3 Acres, and our properties sit in the middle or are kinda surrounded by a big 600+ acres pasture, so it makes our properties look much bigger than they are.

For some reason, he is OK with his property looking like a shit hole and mows his grass maybe once for about every 2.5 of my cuts...
I often times mow about 6 or 8 strips of his lawn that borders mine to keep the shagginess a bit further over.

He is OK with it and says I can mow the whole thing if I want.
View Quote

LOL!  I mow right around my house.  I'm letting turkey tangle overtake my yard so I have to mow even less.  The front, back and sides of my property I let stay as prairie.  I did plant about 100 black locust along a couple of fence lines (about 6' on my side)   I let sumac, elderberry and persimmons propagate amongst them in the treeline.  Constantly mowing is a colossal waste of time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plant some corn
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My dad kind of did stuff like that a few years ago when he first retired.  He had gotten a shiny new rider, and would just mow his two neighbor's front yards, mainly cause he was having fun, and had all day to kill.

One was okay with it, the other asked him to stop.  The Stop Request was one of those guys that treated his yard like it was a 5 star golf course, so it made sense, he had his ways and products, etc.

The other one eventually asked dad if he could start weed eating.  And then weeding the flower bed, and then wanted some trees trimmed, oh and I'll leave the gate open and you can do the backyard too!

The Other Guy was a younger guy in his 30s.  Dad was like...no, do it yourself.  Guy actually started hounding him whenever dad was out mowing or working in the garden.  "Hey, if you got some time, can you mow my yard today?" So he quit doing all of it and pretty much quit talking to the neighbors.  LoL...sigh.  Kind of sad when he was telling me that he had to keep track of the neighbors schedule and only mow or be out in the yard when the guy was away.  :(  Both those neighbors moved eventually.
View Quote

A little while ago, for almost a year, if we didn't mow our big front yard quick enough our neighbor would mow it. He had bought a big zero turn and liked to play with it. We'd buy him some gas every once and a while. Anyone want to mow my big yard just let me know, or actually let my wife know since she's the one that actually mows it. She'd be more than happy for the help.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He could be trying for an adverse possession thing but that little rectangle doesn't really get him anything useful. I'm guessing he is just bored and wants something to do.  

One requirement for adverse possession is obvious use.  Just mowing the grass isn't an obvious use.  If he placed something in that area and you didn't object, that could be considered an obvious use.  That is also something you could do to remedy your concern, place something over there.  Some type of yard decoration, bird bath, or other object that is movable but obviously yours.  Document putting it there with pictures and the date.  If he doesn't try to move it then he would have no adverse possession claim.  

You can also give him permission to mow or better yet pay him in either cash, ammo, beer...etc.   "If the true owner consents or gives license to the adverse possessor's use of the property, possession is not hostile and it is not really adverse possession."

View Quote

Good advice I believe. Except that I also believe that mowing is sufficient reason to claim possession.  Either stop him with a fence.  Or give him written permission via certified letter.  It’s not worth the risk.  Who knows, maybe he needs the xtra feet for a driveway or a building.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On the contrary.  I thought the OP was a very high-quality post.  

Excellent aerial pitchurs and diagrams.

Keep up the good work OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of effort you put into the OP leaves me concerned for your lack of sex with females.

He should be more pissed at his parents for raising a snowflake.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone that wants to mow my grass for free is welcome to.

You know we are in a lucky country when this is a problem.

My neighbor drives 100 miles once a week with his wife to come up and mow their vacation property. It looks like a park. I see him peek over my fence to look at my 3 foot tall grass going to seed in along our mutual fence. I LIKE the natural look.

Would you like me as a neighbor?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d find a way to document that he acknowledges it is your property, and that he’s mowed it only as a courtesy to you and/or an error on his part. If you can’t, build a fence.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#19]
if he maintains it for a certain period of time, he owns it.
Put an end to it now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe he is just old and forgetful.

the yard, the dog and he is old and retired.... I mean he could be pulling a Columbus or even going in for the kill on the hot wife but my money is he is just an old dude who can't remember two weeks ago and is passing time until he is pushing daisies in the yard himself.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#21]
It almost looks like he is just using that part of your property to turn his mower around, maybe he has to cross the line around the silo.  He probably just wants to clean up his turn around.  I don't see any value to that chunk of land with a utility pole and wire support.  Almost looks like he's doing you a favor.  idk. 
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#22]
If it bothers you that much, plant a tree or build a flowerbed there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#23]
He can't just take it that easily. He has to openly use, maintain uncontested for that 10 years. That's not happening here.

Maybe he has to turn his mower around near the bin/silo which cuts into your yard. So he just squares it off to make it look nice. Or he doesn't like how you mow around the pole or something.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I live out in the country on some acreage, been there for around 10 years.  For some reason, starting about 3 years ago, my old man (mid 60’s) neighbor has started mowing a section of my lawn.  He seems like a pretty nice guy, just a little quirky. At first, I just thought he was being nice once or twice, but after him continually doing it for the entire summer, I went over and talked to him about it two years ago.

I was nice about it, just told him I appreciated him mowing that part of my lawn, but I’d rather him not.  I already mow around 2 acres, that small part is just a blip on the radar. He said “Oh, sorry…I was just doing it to be nice….I’ll stop”.  And he stopped for the rest of the summer.

Then last summer, he started doing it again. So I talked to him again, and he stopped for a while. Then about a month later my wife was out in the yard while he was mowing, and when he came over to mow that section on my property again, my wife flagged him down and asked him why he keeps mowing that section of our lawn.  Once again, he said “Oh, sorry…I was just doing it to be nice….I’ll stop”.  
  I've been documenting it pretty good...
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Fences make good neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Give him a note $20 attached saying I appreciate you cutting. My grass is very thoughtful of you. Photocopy and date note have it notarized and do this every 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Probably not but he could be trying to establish squatters rights and claim it down the road.  I had a relative lose a chunk of their land becauee the neighbor had been "storing boards over there for years."

Check with your lawyer but I'd keep documenting all the interactions and if continued send him and yourself a certified letter saying he is either A) not to mow your yard anymore or B) that he can continue to mow it with the understanding that it is done without compensation an that it is your property and he is not permitted to use it for any other purpose-not even for storing a stick without explicit consent in writing.

If he starts leaving things across the property line throw them back on his side as soon as possible and document it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a business in a shit part of town. It's got an asphalt parking lot next to the street and anyone and everyone would feel free to park there, eat lunch, smoke dope, drink beer, hell shoot heroine and leave their bullshit trash on the ground, including drug needles.

Even the sheriff's office was using it to to weigh overloaded trucks. Fuck, thanks for bringing the 80,000+ lb bullshit on my lot.

I will build a steel fence eventually, but that takes time and probably $10k. As a stop gap, I got some 2" PVC pipe and yellow rope. Made a rope stanchion. You could easily drive through it with a lawn mower, but it serves as the physical property marker. It's kept 99% of the folks out.

A few months ago, the rope for the "gate" kept getting broken. Rolled back the security camera, a few of the local assholes were backing into the PVC and rope intentionally with a fucking range rover (drug dealer) of all things.

The PVC and rope got replaced with 2.5 inch steel pipe filled with concrete and chain welded to it. About 38" tall. Nobody has tried to bump it since. Did that for less than $100.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Build a fence
View Quote
its so damned crazy it might just work
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread serves as evidence. You don’t have to worry about it for another 9.5 years. If he hasn’t died by then, start a new thread and reset the clock.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m going to go with memory issues. If he’s an otherwise nice and normal guy, it seems that it would be an odd set up for some bizarre court shenanigans.

GD: things should be like the old days when neighbors were nice to each other and people respected their elders.

Also GD: Get off my lawn you mean old man! (While building an abatis in front of the fougasse.)

Unless there’s something else going on with him, I’d personally write it off as a guy losing his mind. Mention to him occasionally that you don’t really want him to do that, but bring him a beer when he’s outside puttering around. You can get rid of any Bud Light you had stashed away.

I haven’t searched, but can anyone cite a case where someone was awarded property in a situation like this?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Boulders
View Quote

Put up a nice looking fence or a stone wall. Or zeroscape the area with rocks and some flowers a stuff
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe he has to look at that part and you do a crappy job?  
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Now this thread has all the GD paranoia and assholiness that I've come to know.

All triggered by an dementia patient on a riding mower.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Dude does you favor by mowing around the guide wires and the pole and you are somehow mad about that?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If he doesn't have a ztr maybe he is just using that area to turn around on? Can he even see that spot from his house? Maybe his previous neighbor is buried there and he just wants to keep the plot nice.
View Quote

This. It’s probably probably makes his mowing pattern easier if he can turn around in that section.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
What's the huge deal? I mean really?  I know GD like to find the nit picky-ist shit to bitch about but this is a new level.

Its an old dude with some loose marbles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Have you considered he might have memory issues and does it out of kindness forgetting you asked him not to?  Seriously, you could check with a lawyer to make sure it isn't an eminent domain issue and if not (I suspect not if the property was properly surveyed to begin with) let him do it.

If he is a nice guy let him cut it.  It makes him feel good.  I can't see the harm.  Send him a nice gift basket for the effort end of year.  Make a good friend and neighbor.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe the dog thinks you're trespassing on his land, and is also telling his old man handler to mow that section of his yard.  Stranger things have happened in GD.

eta Did he work for the electric or power companies before he retired? Might be keeping the easement clear for his brothers in arms, thin yellow line and all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Send him a 12 pack of his favorite beer and have him mow all your lawn win/win
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Send him a 12 pack of his favorite beer and have him mow all your lawn win/win
View Quote
bud light and it costs nothing...win win win.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Send him my way, I'm not jealous of any of my grass.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Build a fence
View Quote

This.  He is trying to establish adverse possession.  Build a fence, nuke the lawn with roundup. Plant some trees and shrubs, haul in some boulders.  Make a nice little natural area.  Deny him the opportunity to do anything on that part of your property.  Lastly and most importantly, piss on it to mark it as your territory.  That should keep him away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, eminent domain is what a govt agency can do to seize private property.  "Adverse possession" is what private citizens can do to get access to other private property.  Those laws vary by state.  Find out what adverse possession requires in your state/locale.  Usually it's a combination of "Open and notorious use"; paying some taxes on the land, and such.

The structure on his land next to the mowed area - what is that?  Looks like a barn.

You could always have him served with a cease and desist.  It might feel like a dick move but he's either very forgetful or he has something else up his sleeve.  How was the relationship between him and the previous owner of your place?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#45]
He might be thinking that having that area un mowed makes his property look bad. Maybe he IS being nice by not coming right out and saying "mow the damn area by the power pole!"

The way I see it, you can do 3 things.

1) let the guy mow it, how is it hurting you?

2) mow it yourself and keep the guy off your side instead of spraying roundup and having meltdowns about nothing.

3) post on an open website about how much of a snowflake you are. That'll make ya feel better.

JMHO
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mow before he does
View Quote

This.

He's telling you that the grass closest to his house looks shitty because you don't mow it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Check your aerial view.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of effort you put into the OP leaves me concerned for your lack of sex with females.

They're not so excellent if the silo splits the property line.

It doesn't. It's fully on his property (as you can see from the picture)

Check your aerial view.

Sorry..... The next time the Google satellite flies over my property, I'll make sure that they go directly above that silo ??
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Build a fence

The solution is to build a fence.  Good fences make good neighbors
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#49]
He, his wife, or some other influential person have a “vision” for the way they like to see their barn “framed” for curb appeal.

He’s going with “better to ask forgiveness than permission.”

Given the dog issue as well I’m going with whoever it is having narcissistic tendencies.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And I'm married.....
View Quote

So, you admit you never get the sex.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top