Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
My neighbor mows all the way up to my house when he mows and I do the same to his house for him when I mow, but we like each other.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you've already got him on any takeover plot.  The way it works here, he would have to maintain it without any input from the actual owner.  
Every time you mow it, or talk to him about mowing it, that would reset his clock back to zero.  Let him mow it for 9 years 11 months, then you get out there with your mower and take a picture.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#3]
He just wants to make it look like his so it looks like he has a bigger yard.

My neighbor does it constantly.  Used to drive me insane.  Then i realized he was hammered 24/7 and legitimately wasn't paying any attention to what he was doing.  Once he got sober, he stopped.  Now he's back at mowing way into my yard.  We've become good friends so I asked him where the fuck he thinks the property lines are.  He knows exactly where they are - he's just tired of my discharge being launched all over his shit LOL.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
My neighbor mows the section between my driveway and the edge of his lawn, I think because I have a push mower and he can't stand to see my attempt at a straight line down our property line.

So, he mows it. Slightly different situation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps you should plant some corn on your side.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why the fuck do you care?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your neighbor might be in the early stages of dementia.  He is probably losing some of his short term memory.  It sounds like he doesn't get upset when you ask him not to mow.  I'm thinking he simply is just forgetting you don't want him to mow it.
View Quote

Kinda where I am at. He may not remember or just have some other mental quirk where he has some compulsion to do it.

I doubt there are any concerns on him trying to take your land. As long as you are up to date on taxes I don't think the government will care one way or the other if he mows your lawn.

If it is a big concern I'd just put a fence up and call it a day. I'm lazy though and would just let him mow my lawn for free.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
People with neighbors crack me up.

Rent an excavator, dig the whole area about 10' deep with spikes at the bottom. Cover with bamboo poles and fresh grass. Take excavator back and exchange for dozer.

And then you wait.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
From your pic it looks to me like your property is right next to his front yard.

He's not wanting your taller grass making his front yard look bad ( to him ).

Plus probably helps him manage his weeds ect.

My guess
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It’s a Grave.    Ex Wife, still-born baby, or maybe a pet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]
And likes been stated.

Extend your fence to the road.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]
.Give him a couple a bucks a month so you are paying fo a service and not him trying to usurp thy lords land and property/

First he claims your land,  next its your womens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bingo....that was my first though, and still is. I think he's mowing that spot for a reason.  MO law says if you "maintain" (mow) property for 10years, you can claim it as yours.
View Quote

If you have his email address send him a polite note to stop mowing your land.  Keep it light and casual and print it and save it.  Adverse possession has to be unopposed.  Document the opposition.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Old toilet on the property line
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it difficult to see traffic to pull out of his driveway if the grass is somewhat tall?

No house next me (farm field) but I have to knock it down along the road a few times a year.

Or its a subtle hint that he thinks it's time you need to mow your grass.
View Quote

I actually take very good care of my lawn....trim and mow at least once a week, maybe more if it's needed. If he can't see traffic of grass that's 3" tall...he has some other issues
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't see the adverse possession angle.  You use the property; it's not like it's some neglected corner you never visit and he mows.

Round-up along the property lines?  Fences?  Maginot Line?  Just to keep the old man from mowing over the line?

Have a beer with the guy and let it go.  Or, if you feel the need, mow his side once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it's my property. Same reason I would care if he decided to start coming over and washing my truck......I moved out to the country to get away from people like that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
In all seriousness, why do you care? It's already been noted that the "hostile takeover" theory doesn't apply here.

If my neighbor was mowing part of my yard, I'd buy him a case of beer every so often

Go live your life. There's far better things you can do with your time than fret over stuff like this.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Who cares? Let him do it. It is that much less for you to cut. Doesn't seem like it is harming anything.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#21]
My dad kind of did stuff like that a few years ago when he first retired.  He had gotten a shiny new rider, and would just mow his two neighbor's front yards, mainly cause he was having fun, and had all day to kill.

One was okay with it, the other asked him to stop.  The Stop Request was one of those guys that treated his yard like it was a 5 star golf course, so it made sense, he had his ways and products, etc.

The other one eventually asked dad if he could start weed eating.  And then weeding the flower bed, and then wanted some trees trimmed, oh and I'll leave the gate open and you can do the backyard too!

The Other Guy was a younger guy in his 30s.  Dad was like...no, do it yourself.  Guy actually started hounding him whenever dad was out mowing or working in the garden.  "Hey, if you got some time, can you mow my yard today?" So he quit doing all of it and pretty much quit talking to the neighbors.  LoL...sigh.  Kind of sad when he was telling me that he had to keep track of the neighbors schedule and only mow or be out in the yard when the guy was away.  :(  Both those neighbors moved eventually.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sorry, this is not a concern. Let him mow it.

With all the real crap going on in this world, this is a nothing burger.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My neighbor mows all the way up to my house when he mows and I do the same to his house for him when I mow, but we like each other.
View Quote

I actually doing something similar with the neighbor on the other side of my property....we've talked about it, it actually works out great. I mow a little section on his property if I'm mowing...he does the same for me. It's just easy since I already have the mower out.

This guy has been told "please don't mow my lawn" multiple times.....and doesn't get it.  

Did the big dead grass line from the roundup not make sense enough to him?

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#24]
That's where he buried the bodies. He doesn't want anybody thinking about putting trees or objects that might require digging there.

Also note, that's right under that pole. Maybe some lineman asked him to mow once and he's remembering that. It's going to be under the variance for the line so it's not like he can do anything with it (nor the OP).
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Give him my address if he's doing work on the side.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like a great neighbor.  Don't worry about it.  From the pics it looks like he's doing a good job.  Blessings in life come in small things. Pray that he continues to live a long life.  Otherwise you might end up with hood rats from some big city and then you'll have something really important to post here about.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have him mow the whole thing and buy him a cake.
View Quote

This. He could mow my entire yard and then some.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I mow a small area of a neighbors yard along the road that passes in front of my property.  They never mow it and I do it to create a similar nicely mowed area as one approaches my property.  Been doing it for decades.  No plans on starting an adverse possession claim.

They never mention it to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#29]
A healthy application of Roundup sprayed over your property where he wants to mow will stop him from mowing. Spray tactically under the cover of darkness with your night vision, plate carrier, and Kevlar helmet on.
Chemical warfare is the only option at this point. Scorched Earth your land!! It’s now the DMZ.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#30]
LOL, I have the opposite situation at my house in town.  My yard is pie shaped with the yard front being very small, but the back yard is huge.

Both neighbors on each side of me have sprinkler systems and yard crews that maintain their yards.

I get the benefit of the water overspray from both sides, and one crew edges my side walk, and the other blows off my driveway.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe his place looks better if that whole little section is all done at once. I edge part of my neighbors lawn, the section between our driveways, because it makes my lawn look better.   Sometimes I'll hit the rest of the edges on theirs too, and I get some Dr Peppers or blueberries later that day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Ask him if he wants to move to Florida, he can be my neighbor.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Thank him?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Plant some corn
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Because it's my property. Same reason I would care if he decided to start coming over and washing my truck......I moved out to the country to get away from people like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have stayed in the city. People like you ruin country life. Karen’s don’t belong in the country.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Burn his house down. Fuck his dog. Shoot his wife.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Could be early onset dementia. My father in law is only a couple years older than him, and has had the same issues for a few years.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a section of lawn that is the unmarked and fairly inaccurate dividing line of my lawn and the neighbors.  I mow it pretty good  every other time befitting its ambiguous status.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You should have stayed in the city. People like you ruin country life. Karen’s don’t belong in the country.
View Quote

Excellent summary!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh no?! Neighbor is doing a kind gesture and likes uniformity around his home. The horror. You definitely need to piss on his leg and fuck his wife.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
People with neighbors crack me up.

Rent an excavator, dig the whole area about 10' deep with spikes at the bottom. Cover with bamboo poles and fresh grass. Take excavator back and exchange for dozer.

And then you wait.....
View Quote

OP posts about living in the country but has neighbor issues.

OP actually lives rural not country.

If you need to wear pants to check your mailbox you ain't country.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#43]
It's possible that he has memory issues.  Boulders or fence would make instant reminders.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Extend the fence.  How far is it, 32 feet or so?  Temp fence while you plant something like arbor vitae?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The amount of effort you put into the OP leaves me concerned for your lack of sex with females.
View Quote

He is married so of course he is not getting the sex.

Neighbor just might have some type of compulsion disorder.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I didn't stop my next door neighbor from moving down the middle of the driveway according to the judge when we ended up in court because nothing was in writing. He now has use of my driveway as ordered by the judge.  If you are telling him to knock it off, do so in writing because if it ends up in court, he said, she said doesn't mean shit.  Best of all just fence the boundary even if the fence looks like shit. Otherwise you will end up in court when he decides he wants to take the property.  I lived that dream and 9 years and shitload of money later, I learned the lesson of "Never be nice to your neighbors (even if they are family) because they or their kids will try to fuck you over."
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I live out in the country on some acreage, been there for around 10 years.  For some reason, starting about 3 years ago, my old man (mid 60’s) neighbor has started mowing a section of my lawn.  He seems like a pretty nice guy, just a little quirky. At first, I just thought he was being nice once or twice, but after him continually doing it for the entire summer, I went over and talked to him about it two years ago.

I was nice about it, just told him I appreciated him mowing that part of my lawn, but I’d rather him not.  I already mow around 2 acres, that small part is just a blip on the radar. He said “Oh, sorry…I was just doing it to be nice….I’ll stop”.  And he stopped for the rest of the summer.

Then last summer, he started doing it again. So I talked to him again, and he stopped for a while. Then about a month later my wife was out in the yard while he was mowing, and when he came over to mow that section on my property again, my wife flagged him down and asked him why he keeps mowing that section of our lawn.  Once again, he said “Oh, sorry…I was just doing it to be nice….I’ll stop”.  

This spring as I was spraying my fence line a while back, for the hell of it, I ran a line of roundup right down the property line all the way to the road….just to give a little reminder to the guy to not mow my lawn this summer. Maybe that was a jack move?

Well, it didn’t help….he was back at it last night, and mowed that section of my lawn again.  

As this point, I’m wondering what his deal is. I don’t know what’s so special about that rectangle of property, but he can’t seem to not mow it.  

I’ve talked to him more than once, my wife has talked to him, I’ve clearly marked the property, but he’s still not getting it.   I'm starting to wonder if he's trying some type of imminent domain thing where he's going to claim he's been maintaining that piece of property so it's his now? I think in MO you have to maintain property for 10 years, then you can claim it's yours.   I've been documenting it pretty good...and I still move it, so it's going to be hard for him to say that.

Any thoughts??  

https://i.imgur.com/KqeJXuY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hg4CRTB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3vHDTEe.jpg

View Quote

Quoted, because reasons.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#50]
If you are worried about him taking adverse possession just pay him to maintain it. $1 will do it.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top