Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even though GD can be cunts about shotguns, an AR15 is superior to a shotgun for most non-hunting tasks.  

View Quote

While true, you can get a serviceable self defense shotgun for cheap, and there's not many places in the US that you can't legally own it.  

My home defense PCC with a can is "better" for me, but the optic on it was more than the cost of a basic Mossberg or Maverick beater 12g.

Heck, the tax stamp for the can cost more.....
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Shotguns are fine, just don't use flite control buckshot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@-Obsessed- not saying it won't work, and there's 29 of them in my rattler right now.
I know we love rifle stuff here but shotguns throwing buck or slugs certainly do have a certain "go fuck yourself" panache not seen elsewhere.
View Quote

Conjectur - need to have both shot at you to make an objective decision
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Shotguns can have outstanding terminal performance with the right loads.

That performance doesn’t occur in a vacuum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forget it, I'm pretty sure shotguns aren't lethal anymore.  I read that here.

Shotguns can have outstanding terminal performance with the right loads.

That performance doesn’t occur in a vacuum.

So they are no good in outer space?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m ready.  If my home gets invaded, may God have mercy, because I won’t.  I’ll choot em in the face and then the groin and both kneecaps.  It’s a short barrel, so I’m using 3” magnums.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock first. 6920 next. Old school Remington 1100 last. I want those last few rounds to hurt.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
After watching GT’s A300 video, Im REALLY wanting a new A300!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Use whatever you're most proficient at. I hardly shoot shotguns so ARs for me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh? Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have used 12 round drums, thats a lot of hate and a quick reload time.
View Quote

And what’s the failure rate?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
In this day and age given the availability and selection I'll argue the best option for many situations is a suppressed pcc. 30 rounds on board, quick reloads, and small package, easy for most to control effectively. Shotguns are loud, rifles in a hallway are stupid loud even surpressed.

I've seen new shooters get rocked by a 12 even with lighter loads, on the other end I've seen someone handed an Mp5 and start eating up a dueling tree after half a mag off practice.

You can't rack it but you can slap it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
OP has officially entered the 80s
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP has officially entered the 80s
View Quote

The best times in this country.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about running mini shells to reduce recoil and increase capacity?
View Quote

I have a Shockwave that likes the minis.  Got it because shotguns are fun, but wouldn't be afeard to use it for HD if I had to.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In this day and age given the availability and selection I'll argue the best option for many situations is a suppressed pcc. 30 rounds on board, quick reloads, and small package, easy for most to control effectively. Shotguns are loud, rifles in a hallway are stupid loud even surpressed.

I've seen new shooters get rocked by a 12 even with lighter loads, on the other end I've seen someone handed an Mp5 and start eating up a dueling tree after half a mag off practice.

You can't rack it but you can slap it.
View Quote

Rifle > PCC > Pistol
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Had occasion to talk to a medical examiner about this and his immediate answer to what firearm/caliber he would absolutely not want to be shot with was a shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get both?

Anyone who thinks a 1301 or Benelli M4 is useless in home defense is kidding themselves.
View Quote

OP - This is the way...
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Huh? Care to elaborate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? Care to elaborate?

Just guessing here, but they don't really open up within the distance within most houses (ARFCOM millionaire's mansions being exceptions of course).  Some people want some spread; personal preference but always pattern your gun with your loads at your distances.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
These threads are always fun retarded- you can easily tell who's seen someone who's taken a load of buckshot at home defense distances from the "shotguns are only for birds" crowd.  

ETA- I have an AR sitting next to me; the only shotgun not in the safe is a single shot H&R in the closet.
View Quote

I don’t think anyone has ever questioned the terminal effectiveness of a shotgun with proper loads.  The questions come about because of all the other drawbacks that come with it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Always thought a 20 ga semi auto would be a great HD weapon.  Lightweight, handy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I admit I keep a light-bearing pistol on hand for home defense but I certainly trust this little guy to do the job if needed

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#23]
This gun is handy and pretty tame with the Fed Tactical 1145fps 00 buck. Rifles are great but I do have more trigger time with shotguns and operating them are second nature to me. With that said, a pistol is what is next to me when I sleep.
Attachment Attached File

ETA. And you do have to aim with a shotgun shooting buckshot. I relearned that today when I dispatched a sick raccoon in the neighbor's garden. I walked up to around 5yrds, pointed at it and sent the 9 00buck pellets right under him. Aimed the second shot and took half his head off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine is stoked with 12 pellet buckshot, getting hit with 12 .32 caliber slugs at the same time would pack quite the sting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Still my absolute favorite shotgun on this site.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
8 gauge...

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Still my absolute favorite shotgun on this site.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So you think a 300 BLK Black Tip won't stop them?

You can easily fire off 3 rounds of 300 BLK with more precise placement for every shot of 00 from a shotgun.

And be shorter and more maneuverable.

So not sure why your 300 BLK doesn't fit the bill.
View Quote

Brah you missed the point.

Big, big, boom.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My M4 has more recoil and cycles much slower than an AR.  No doubt some buckshot would put a hurting on anyone in front of it, though.

Realistically I would just grab a handgun from the nightstand safe.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1658959192890-2467629.jpg

View Quote

really?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#30]

this pic inspired my M2.  Mine is longer though, didnt want to SBR.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Remington 870 with a Vangcomp barrel will print into a pie plate at 25 yds.  biggest mistake I've made in the last 15 yrs was getting rid of that shotgun
View Quote

Its a smooth bore. Why the hell would a barrel affect pattern density?

A fool and their money...
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That’s a hell of a claim!
View Quote

Sometimes in the springtime here the cottontail bunnies form gangs and roam around starting shit with people.

You need a shotgun for that threat profile.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Forcing cone and pellet paterns.

“The main purpose of lengthening the forcing cone is to bring any distorted stray pellets back into the pattern to make it denser,” says Rob Roberts, whose gunsmithing company does the work on Benelli’s Performance Shop hunting guns.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Visit my website at shotgunchokes.com for that one weird trick!

YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT!
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Internal profile matters, as does the finish to some degree.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Forget it, I'm pretty sure shotguns aren't lethal anymore.  I read that here.
View Quote

Lol.  Sad though...
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#37]
All the rifles are in safes. However, there are shotguns in five locations in the house. (to include the garage)

I've seen what buckshot does to a human body. Plus, it's handy for pitt bulls and the occasional raccoon on the trashcans.

There is six in the tube and four in the stock. That's all I need.  

Worst shotgun wound I have ever seen was your regular cheap 20 ga Winchester slug. Homeowner shot a guy climbing into his kitchen window.  Slug entered just inside his collarbone and exited out of the top of his left leg after blowing thru the pelvis. Never found the slug. Guy died right on the window sill.

That sounds like decent performance to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Buck Shot and AK ready
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I keep an 870 loaded with 00 buck (Winchester Ranger buffered) available right next the the SBR, if enough shit hits the fan, I can toss the AR to my wife, and use the shotgun.  

AR's are awesome for their intended purpose (killing shit), but there is just something visceral about a shotgun.  It also works very well at coyote destruction, which seems to be a regular occurrence these days, and doesn't make the neighbors as nervous as seeing a guy wandering around with an AR.  Not that they give much of a shit anymore after their Pekinese got eaten.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The bird argument is the absolute most retarded thing I've ever read in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good call OP, you never know when birds will invade your home.

The bird argument is the absolute most retarded thing I've ever read in GD.
I think the problem is that you have a lot of younger city folk on this site who've never seen what  buckshot or slugs can do to in real life compared to a small caliber rifle. It has its limitations, sure, but a shotgun is an excellent home defense tool. Realistically the probability of you having to do battle with the Spetsnaz in your home is pretty low.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#41]
OP, most of my adult life an 870 with buck was my #1 HD gun for my family.

I only recently went to a 300bo because practicing with the 12 would stove up my neck for a few days.

If it weren't for that, it would be #1 again.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Its called a "street sweeper" for a reason. Right tool for the right job.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don’t care if you suck at math, you suck at thinking you don’t need sights. Effing gun store bullshit right there.
View Quote

At15 feet with my Browning Auto 5, I'm point shooting not using sights. If I can (and have many times) take 2 wild Bob White quail on a covy raise at 15 feet without using the sights (not enough time for that) I can hit a human at 15 feet without using the sights.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mossberg 590 with a Surefire forend loaded with 00 Buck will solve 99% of your HD needs
View Quote

With a 590A1 that leftover 1% is covered by fixing bayonets.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don’t think anyone has ever questioned the terminal effectiveness of a shotgun with proper loads.  The questions come about because of all the other drawbacks that come with it.
View Quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again: shot-for-shot, round-for-round, a 12 gauge shotgun absolutely beats a carbine in 5.56 or 9mm. That being said, I'll take 30+ rounds, rails and lighter recoil from said carbine over a shotgun.

The ideal HD weapon is a delayed-blowback PCC with a can and subsonic rounds. You can't convince me otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Huh? Care to elaborate?
View Quote
There's no good reason to try to limit the spread for home defense.  If you need precision why are you firing pellets anyway?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

While true, you can get a serviceable self defense shotgun for cheap, and there's not many places in the US that you can't legally own it.  

My home defense PCC with a can is "better" for me, but the optic on it was more than the cost of a basic Mossberg or Maverick beater 12g.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though GD can be cunts about shotguns, an AR15 is superior to a shotgun for most non-hunting tasks.  

OP already has a .300 BO SBR.

Why downgrade?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I have thought of buying a Mossberg youth 410 and some 410 self defense loads designed for the Judge revolver and running some performance tests.  It would probably perform pretty well for the recoil shy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There's no good reason to try to limit the spread for home defense.  If you need precision why are you firing pellets anyway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? Care to elaborate?

Normal buckshot is still going to be nearly as tight as flight control at normal hd distances. And the tighter the pattern the better. 4" at 15 yards, 8" at 25 yards is absolutely perfect. Wider than that pellets start dropping off the target a performance isn't as good.

Flight control is also great for when you have to step outside.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ETA. And you do have to aim with a shotgun shooting buckshot. I relearned that today when I dispatched a sick raccoon in the neighbor's garden. I walked up to around 5yrds, pointed at it and sent the 9 00buck pellets right under him. Aimed the second shot and took half his head off.
View Quote

I'd tell everyone who heard two shotgun blasts that was the toughest raccoon I've ever seen
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top