Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 9:23:36 PM EDT
I was at my gun dealer's store today when I noticed a new Colt 1911 for $450.  I asked about it and he said it was an Argentine 1911 made under contract from Colt using Colt tooling (I think the pistol was called a Systema).  It even said it was a Colt contract on the side of the slide.  It had been arsenal refinished and was like new.  He said that all parts are interchangeable with a Colt 1911.  Looking at the two side by side you couldn't tell the difference.  Are these Argentine 1911s any good?  How do they compare to an American Colt 1911?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends if it is an American manufacture "Argentine" made by Colt and sent to Argentina-

Or if it is Argentine Manufacture.

Either way, they are kewl guns (My friend owns a "Argentine contract" manufacture), but the "Colt" make is better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the Colt was a little cleaner, but the Argentine is a damn nice piece for the money from what I can tell.  I was told that it was made in Argentina, and it said "Systema" on the side (can't remember where on the gun though - doh!).  I do remember that the slide said "Colt" on it though.  I think that it was made in the 1940s and it had the "spur" hammer on it.  Any toughts?  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
firefight you might try this link for more info.mmk[url]www.1911forum.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Argentine contract guns were made prior to WW2. They are being imported with a fresh matte blue refinish. For the most part they are in excellent condition, but they may have a ding here and there and other anomalies such as mashed lanyard loops and sights. But for $450 you can easily repair whatever's wrong and have a nice old Colt to boot.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to have a Ballister-Molina (another Argentine 1911 clone) it was well worn when I got it, (paid $175.00 for it) but it shot fairly well, and rarely jammed, belive it or not, these pistols were well made,  I've seen a couple of them refurbed, at a local shop for $250.00,not a bad price for a reliable .45
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
S.O.G. has the Systemas listed right now for I think @275.00, in very good condition.  If you have a C&R FFL you can have it sent right to your door.  I'm considering buying one myself.
guns762
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ralph Holderbaum:
I used to have a Ballister-Molina (another Argentine 1911 clone) it was well worn when I got it, (paid $175.00 for it) but it shot fairly well, and rarely jammed, belive it or not, these pistols were well made,  I've seen a couple of them refurbed, at a local shop for $250.00,not a bad price for a reliable .45
View Quote

Funny.  The latests SOG has the Ballister in it for $195.00.  I heard that there is a special this week for $175.00.  Thinking of getting one with my C&R.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The Ballister-Molina has fewer interchangable parts with the 1911 compared with the Systema.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top