Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
One way or the other, morons.

It's setting up the whole rest of the movie.  Guess that was lost on you.  Oh well, we now return you to your regularly scheduled blowing shit up [shrug]

Well, it did set the tone quite well, can't argue with that.  Just figured it would be a better movie if they were bad asses.

If you watch the director's commentary, the point of that scene is that these guys know they won't win the fight, but by hitting the girlfriends they ensure that the girlfriends will get pissed off at their guys for a good long while, so the guys don't really win either.  The tone of the movie is "I can't win, but I can make damn sure none of you do either, and I may as well try it out."

P.S. On the DVD you can skip the crappy part (i.e. plot) and get to the good stuff (i.e. one handed 1911 reloads).  I do the same thing all the time with Proof of Life-- only the last 20 mins is worth watching!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What pissed me off was that Del Toro had mag after mag for his .45, but only 2 mags for the Galil...

1911 mags are real easy to find & fairly cheap.  Galil mags aren't so much.

No shit. Have you priced Galil mags compared to 1911 mags?

These guys were badasses, but in the opening scene they made it pretty realistic because even two "badasses" aren't going to stand much chance against a mob. The whole point was that these guys were not afraid to go into a situation where they know they can't win. Tthey just don't give a shit. The anti-hero at his best.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]
 I have always felt that at the beginning of the film they were actually paid ( I think they are counting cash while they are setting off the car alarm whilst sitting on the car ) to get into a fight SPECIFICALLY  to bust that nasty brunette in the yap.   I think the whole thing was a setup....  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya know what, I'm stoppin by wally-world on the way home to look for the $5 special.

Does the walmart version have the dvd extras, or is it one of the cheepies?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote from Desertmoon:

I think the whole thing was a setup....

Yeah, it was probably her boyfriend, the son of Carrot-top and Danny Bonaduce  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
dumb movie
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The fistfight at the start is kinda like "The Wild Bunch". They go into the fight knowing they won't win, but, well, fuck it.

I liked it. They are, after all, criminals. They've got better than average tactical skills but are in the end still losers and have a loser attitude. To quote Neal from Heat, maybe they do have "born to lose" tattos, but they're trying for one big score instead of knocking over 7-11s.

They're violent criminals but (if you read the subtext) are being used by God for a higher plan.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW, the two of them are playing "games" with each other all the time. For example, Del Toro saw the doc's gun when he searched him in the truck stop, but let it through anyway to teach Phillipe's character a lesson/maybe get him killed. Ditto for the scene at the motel, where he spots Lewis moving around, asks him to go get his coat, and then after the shotgun blast, you see his coat on the car.

I liked it. It rewards clost attention, and not everything is blindingly obvious. They did "reveals" well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ya know what, I'm stoppin by wally-world on the way home to look for the $5 special.

Does the walmart version have the dvd extras, or is it one of the cheepies?

It has the extras.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]

I thought it was a good movie but I didn't like the way it ended.  Tactically the movie did very good but I thought it was stupid to try for the money until you killed all of the bad guys. I mean good guys? And come on a old guy with a .38 snubnose????

Good tactics and great equipment.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And come on a old guy with a .38 snubnose????

Everythig about the Bag men, from their snub nosed revolvers, pot bellies, and members only jackets was deliberate to make it look like bag men were old timers who had been there and done that vs. two up & commers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And come on a old guy with a .38 snubnose????

Everythig about the Bag men, from their snub nosed revolvers, pot bellies, and members only jackets was deliberate to make it look like bag men were old timers who had been there and done that vs. two up & commers.

I thought it was kind of cool showing how tuff the old-timers were. But old guys know the benifits of modern weapons even though they were old school.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It was a great movie. On my top ten list. I kinda like pulp indies.

Combat_Jack,

What's  the other nine in your top ten?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Bet one includes Reservoir Dogshit...

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was a great movie. On my top ten list. I kinda like pulp indies.

Combat_Jack,

What's  the other nine in your top ten?

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope, didnt like Reservoir Dogs. I cant think of a full list right now, but include:

Heat
Collateral
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Braveheart
Boondock Saints
Man on Fire
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top