BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those counterfeit Chinese Gibsons are getting real good.  I will not buy a used Les Paul because I don’t trust I’d be able to tell a counterfeit.  Used to be easy…like bolt-on necks.  

View Quote

I have a Chibson.  It was bought specifically for decoration.  It's likely half the weight of a real LP lol.  That said, I'm right there with you.  If I bought a used LP, it would have to be from a very reputable source.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
15 years ago I bought a Chinese Gibson Les Paul and it looked/played as well as my epiphone but had a “Gibson” headstock. I think I paid $300. Ended up getting rid of it since I prefer Ibanez/Schecter with bigger necks/frets but the Chinese can make some excellent quality stuff. I think my Schecter C1 Exotic is made in indonesia and it’s my favorite guitar to play.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
All my Solid Body Guitars are made in USA.
Attachment Attached File
but I built them.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are perfectly capable of producing good stuff. It’s just not what they usually export.
View Quote

Because it's not what the consumer demands.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Were these Eastman brand?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Went to a local music store to grab a new cable for my daughter.  Of course I started playing everything on the wall.  I was playing acoustics and almost all of them were made in China.  They all sounded and played great.  They had one or two US made Martins and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if I was blind folded.  There was nothing wrong with the Martin, the cheap alvarez, Ibanez, etc were just that nice.

I never consider made in China guitars, Korea is the closest I'll come.  I'm beginning to wonder if I should reconsider.  I've been jonesin for a dean v and most are Chinese...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Were these Eastman brand?
View Quote

Alvarez, Ibanez, Yamaha, fender, etc
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Paid $200 for this a week ago. Yes, I've had plenty genuine LP's before. Sounds like crap, but I'm going to replace all the components/pickups shortly.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you can't clearly hear or feel the difference between a Chinese made guitar and a Martin, you are completely fine buying Chinese guitars.

I'm not saying that to be an asshole, though it may sound harsh,  but to even a fair ear and intermediate player, the difference is tremendously apparent. Still, I would urge you to buy a mid priced ( $500-$800) US made guitar, and practice. Take the time in practicing not only to get better with playing the instrument, but listening to it. Take some ear training classes, and I'm not sure how old you are, but get your hearing checked. I know my hearing is starting to fail at my age, I can tell it clearly.
View Quote

Links to decent American made guitars for $500-800?

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Martin dreadnought was in that price range, used in good condition.   But that's been a few years.   No clue what the current market is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I know nothing as I am just learning. A monoprice strat clone SSH is just right for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
My last retail job when I was in college was selling guitars; anything from $75 no-name starter instruments to $5k - $15k Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, the occasional Breedlove, Guild, Larrivee, etc.

Cheap Yamaha guitars - which are Chinese - are actually fairly decent, especially for beginners and students. Chinese guitars in general do have a place, IMO, as they are generally less expensive and thus more accessible to people who want to start playing. They typically aren't a good idea for a serious player who wants a serious, long term investment in an instrument, but they aren't all complete crap on the basis of country of manufacture.

Cheap Alvarez (so basically, not Alvarez Yari) is also a decent choice for beginners.

Quoted:

My Martin dreadnought was in that price range, used in good condition.   But that's been a few years.   No clue what the current market is.
View Quote

The cheaper Martins use high pressure laminate for the body but I think all Martins still feature a solid top. For a beginner/intermediate player who isn't too invested in the longevity of the instrument, it'll work fine. For more serious guitarists, something like a D-16 or D-28/HD-28 would be a much wiser long term investment, as the overall tone will mature as the guitar ages (given proper attention to maintenance).
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
My Yamaha LL16D and CSF3M are both made in China, both solid wood top, back & sides and play phenomenally well. I love them both and played them both back to back with equivalent sized Taylors, Martins and the like and felt I was getting a ton more instrument for the money.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My last retail job when I was in college was selling guitars; anything from $75 no-name starter instruments to $5k - $15k Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, the occasional Breedlove, Guild, Larrivee, etc.

Cheap Yamaha guitars - which are Chinese - are actually fairly decent, especially for beginners and students. Chinese guitars in general do have a place, IMO, as they are generally less expensive and thus more accessible to people who want to start playing. They typically aren't a good idea for a serious player who wants a serious, long term investment in an instrument, but they aren't all complete crap on the basis of country of manufacture.

Cheap Alvarez (so basically, not Alvarez Yari) is also a decent choice for beginners.

The cheaper Martins use high pressure laminate for the body but I think all Martins still feature a solid top. For a beginner/intermediate player who isn't too invested in the longevity of the instrument, it'll work fine. For more serious guitarists, something like a D-16 or D-28/HD-28 would be a much wiser long term investment, as the overall tone will mature as the guitar ages (given proper attention to maintenance).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The cheap ones are Indonesia, the higher-end is China. Only the red label and a few classical guitars are still made in Japan.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made here in PA or one of the Mexican ones with wood from China?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know nothing as I am just learning. A monoprice strat clone SSH is just right for me.
View Quote

Make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing set it up for you.  It's frustrating enough trying to learn, but doing it on an instrument that's actively fighting your progress makes a lot of people give up too early.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#19]
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mines solid rosewood back and sides, solid spruce top

Quoted:

Made here in PA or one of the Mexican ones with wood from China?

PA
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the Yamaha guitars above the $1200 price range are made in Japan.  The A5 stuff and a few more.  It's my understanding they are really good guitars.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...
View Quote

SG and any Martin dss
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mines solid rosewood back and sides, solid spruce top

PA
View Quote

Solid wood, dreadnought Martin for $1k?

Used or not, anytime in the last 25 years
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Solid wood, dreadnought Martin for $1k?

Used or not, anytime in the last 25 years
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif
View Quote

Like I said, its been a few years.  Not 25.   Hm.  Maybe 15 years?  Seems about right
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mine's a Hollowbody II Piezo. It's flawless as far as I can tell and it sounds amazing. It has a huge range of tones available. I've looked at every millimeter of it and cannot find a single flaw.

View Quote

I've been lusting after one of those, but I can't bring myself to spend $1600 on a made in China guitar, even if the quality is there.  I had a much cheaper Squier Classic Vibe Tele and it was excellent.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here is a Canadian made guitar for $799.
Attachment Attached File

You can frequently find US Fenders under $1000 if you watch for sales.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I still have all my brother's guitars from when he passed. His 89 American Strat would one of the last possessions of mine that I would ever sell. I haven't played the thing in years. He had a Yamaha BB King Lucille looking guitar. That thing has to be 40+ years old. It plays well though. I really should break them out and play again. It would be like starting over I bet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]
A former bandmate sold me some no-name guitar that came from China via Rondo Music. It has the best feeling neck/fretboard and action of any guitar I've played. The pick-ups sound like shit by comparison, but the build quality is easily that of a guitar that would command 10-times the price if it had a major name on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

SG and any Martin dss
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...

SG and any Martin dss

This was $146? +tax, new the week after Christmas

Attachment Attached File

Wasn't setup for crap, though

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#32]
F China and all, I know it isn't quite the same but newer used Epiphone Les Pauls are the way to go. The newer epiphones are quite good and I have two of them, bought each for ~$300.  Good woods, Grover tuners, decent frets, and some decent pickups. I also hate California but threw some money at Seymour Duncan for a JB in my Studio. That thing sounds huge now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife was looking for a rosewood Martin in the $4,000 range, the shop didn't have it so we left with a $1,500 Eastman.  It sounds very good, that and the neck shape were the selling points.
The Martin will likely be purchased in the future but this Eastman is excellent.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL

Do not exist in this universe
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Most production guitars sound like shit, and all Chinese guitars sound like shit.  Very few folks are making great guitars these days.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...
View Quote

My Martin 00015m is all solid wood, made in America and was around $1500
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...

Yes. And the other only other acoustic option mentioned in this thread confirms how limited your options are until you increase your budget.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have a Chibson.  It was bought specifically for decoration.  It's likely half the weight of a real LP lol.  That said, I'm right there with you.  If I bought a used LP, it would have to be from a very reputable source.
View Quote

The Chibsons are Epiphones, and Gibson is in on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Guitars, knives, and guns are things that I feel a certain pride of ownership in, and appreciation for the design and craftsmanship.

No matter how good China gets at making shit, I'd never consider anything Chinese.  Fuck China.  They have an authoritarian government because they have an authoritarian culture.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are perfectly capable of producing good stuff. It’s just not what they usually export.

Partially.

The other common occurrence is that they produce to spec until you stop checking. Then quality goes to shit. It’s a fundamental tenet of business there that if you are stupid enough to be defrauded, then you deserve to be.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...
I got all 3

https://bg-so-1.zippyimage.com/2023/02/02/0c33d11eaaddd6be8d3f33ef36335752.jpg

Not a guitar.

Not an acoustic.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...
View Quote
There are some quality exceptions.  

Taylor's American Dream series are all solid wood, made in the U.S.A. and under $2500.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...
View Quote

Martin 15 and 16 series gives you all 3 I think.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure everything they make is Chinese now. At least the ones I fucked with tonight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yamaha, seriously

I'm pretty sure everything they make is Chinese now. At least the ones I fucked with tonight
For years, Yamaha has made the best damn budget acoustic guitars, they held their own against much more expensive models. I think they're clearly superior to Fender or Ibanez acoustics, at least in the same price category.
I have 3 of them, two are older.  I always assumed they were made in Japan, but I just looked inside the one I've had since 1983, and it says "Product of China :  Made in Taiwan" inside.  I'll be damned.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing set it up for you.  It's frustrating enough trying to learn, but doing it on an instrument that's actively fighting your progress makes a lot of people give up too early.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had prepared for trouble. The Youtube guy "Guitar How To" is very good at his tutorials.  Luckily, only the action was a little high and then I had to tune the intonation.  The head stock looks stupid but I don't care. Most people would not even notice or understand. Plus I am in cheap with a stand, extra strings and a snark. What else do you need.  I am waiting for a Chicom Tube amp from monoprice.  

My goal is to get good enough to go to a guitar stores and check out other styles and makes to see what I like. To me its a great entry guitar for $95 delivered and I can't compare it to other makers at this time.

Mr. "Guitar How To" guy is doing a Redid RD-100 chicom guitar right now. He has a few things he prefers like locking tuners and a different bridge so, he is changing those out but it sounds good before. I think a good guitar player can make anything sould good. Also, I like to watch Jimmy Stewart play his junk chicoms on youtube. It's amazing.

Redid RD-100 (green)
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't clearly hear or feel the difference between a Chinese made guitar and a Martin, you are completely fine buying Chinese guitars.

I'm not saying that to be an asshole, though it may sound harsh,  but to even a fair ear and intermediate player, the difference is tremendously apparent. Still, I would urge you to buy a mid priced ( $500-$800) US made guitar, and practice. Take the time in practicing not only to get better with playing the instrument, but listening to it. Take some ear training classes, and I'm not sure how old you are, but get your hearing checked. I know my hearing is starting to fail at my age, I can tell it clearly.

I was eyeballing another used Taylor 310CE (dreadnaught, cutaway, electric pickup) on guitar center's site last week.  $600.  Keep your eyes open on their site, and if a MusicGoRound store happens to be near you, get to know the people there.

My 310CE is about to turn 23 years old.  I won't sell it.

I want my next guitar to be a cedar top/mahogany back and sides Grand Auditorium.  Think Taylor 514, Olson SJ, etc.

I'd be pleased if I could find one used with a florentine cutaway but that's going to take some searching.  I'll probably have to commission the build.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All solid wood
American-made
Under $2500

Pick two...
View Quote

used Taylor 300 series all year long.

I see them in the $1000-1200 range all the time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Most production guitars sound like shit, and all Chinese guitars sound like shit.  Very few folks are making great guitars these days.
View Quote

I would have to disagree.  LOTS of great guitars being made today.  Lots of crap too.  People want to compare to the great guitars of the past like pre-war Martins or 59 Les Pauls.  Well, remember these were not cheap guitars even when new.  Very expensive and truth be told many of the LPs had poor tolerances and needing shims etc.  Not all of the Martins had "it" with perfect ringing tone.   What we see of the exceptional examples of craftsmanship and materials that survived.  

I have guitars that IMO are equal or superior to anything made in the past.  I grant you it isn't entry level price.  But the choices are abundant.  My go to is a Kevin Ryan Nightingale.  I believe it is as quality an instrument as anything Martin ever made.

Where I agree is most people restrict themselves to a budget that delivers a poor instrument.  The crap from China flooding the market turns people off of playing.  Poor action.  Shit tone.  Even if they accidentally do fret a chord right there isn't positive feedback.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top